Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

should i buy the sims 3?

12346...Next

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019
    dfxblock wrote: »
    What I see is that you only defend your interests instead of helping the author of this post. Personally, it is obvious that she is overwhelmed by the events. Please change just the turn of this discussion. I read in this topic messages like:
    No, you're wrong, The Sims 4 is better because ... No, go on the Sims 2 ... What is the role of the poster? Just answer his question which is:
    Should I buy The Sims 3?
    And one more battle is not only with insults. Any kind of debate is called a fight because it is the opinions that fight. If you want to debate, open another simple subject. It's just a suggestion, not an obligation
    I wonder. The last time the OP opened the forum was on the day they posted this topic almost a month ago. Many people have done exactly what you ask: give advice whether to buy Sims 3 or not. It’s not surprising most people in this section will say yes, give it a shot, it’s an amazing game. Because it is o:)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    There is only one forum member I see here who is arguing (debating, whatever we wish to call it) by telling us how to respond to the OP. o:)

This is a community discussion forum though, not a helpline, and the threads do often wander away a bit from the original post especially when the OP doesn't return to comment further. We are here to discuss things, at least most of us are, and that does involve polite debates at times. Not sure any of this rises to the level of defending our interests, why would we care if other players deem TS3 as just not their favorite cup of tea and prefer to play something else, as long as they provide something that sounds like a reasonable contribution to the discussion like the reasons why or what they can't seem to like/tolerate about the game so the new player knows what to expect?

I mean, the cold hard "fact" that TS3 is the best life simulation game ever made, no one can possibly dispute that, and everyone everywhere should stop what they are doing right now and play the game (or play it some more) is not really the point. (I'm joking here, hope that's obvious) :)

It's just a suggestion, not an obligation
    I think that's a much healthier stance to take than the one we may have in error been reading into earlier responses.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I haven't played TS4 in a while. I was actually going to borrow my sister's game to see if anything has improved but she's having problems with Origin and trying to download two packs she got for her birthday. One of the reasons I prefer TS3. Having got the base game before 2012 and having all the packs on disc I can stay at patch 1.67 and not have to deal with Origin. It's always given me problems. But if Origin works for you and there's a sale or you have that Origin Access thing I say it wouldn't hurt to try it but do your research first if you buy.

My main reason for preferring TS3 over TS4 is the sims. I don't need mods or to use my imagination to give my sims a personality, they have it simply because of their traits. With Sims 4 emotions rule over and from my experience they aren't all that great. I think my sims had better emotions when there was no emotion system and just traits or personality points. And while some people love that sims are so expressive all the time I'm not one of those people. Most people don't go through everyday life with extreme expressions and I prefer how TS3 handles it with neutral expressions unless something happens to make them smile, sigh, grumble, laugh, etc. It's closer to real life to me.

I also like the freedoms TS3 provides. You can create your own worlds, create your own patterns, the worlds are open so you can keep track of all your sims, CASt means that majority of what you purchase in build/buy or what you sims wear can be edited by color and/or texture, there's lots to do or lots for you to create for your sims to do. Like others have said, some of us have had this game since it began and we still haven't discovered or seen everything it has to offer yet. We still find new things.

If those things are something you think you'll enjoy then you might like it. Another factor to consider also is if your computer can handle it. Its The Sims, it's EA, there's stuff that was never fixed so you might have to find workarounds, mods, or fixed versions of worlds. I just thought, if you know someone who owns it and has a good computer then you could ask to give the game a go on their system so you won't waste money if you don't like it. I personally noticed the better my specs the better TS3 looked because the pudding faces (I never fully understood this term, I always viewed sims at zero on all sliders like clay to mold personally) didn't look that way when I upgraded and paid better attention to what slider movements altered instead of getting impatient and settling for whatever to skip straight to gameplay. I ended up recreating some of my sims because I was able to notice differences more clearly and play on higher settings. I'll probably end up recreating my sims again when I have the money to get a desktop (and in the event you do try and like TS3 but need a better system the TS3 tech section has plenty of simmers who can help find or create the best PC for whatever budget).

While 3 is my favorite 4 does have nice qualities. I do prefer the click and drag of Sims 4, I like the calendar, some of the new tools in build mode, toddlers for the most part, and a couple of other things I can't think of at the moment but the trade offs just aren't worth it to me. I'd rather play 3 or 2. Some people play all of them, some only specific ones, some only one. It's really all about what you're into, what a good Sims game is to you and if 3 will meet any of those needs or requirements. Like I said, try out a friend's game or look at let's play's, read up on the game here or here and make the decision for you and your playstyle. And if you end up playing but are having difficulties or need help there's lots of helpful people, mods, guides and more.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    edited April 2019
    I resent very much being called a bully. That was not the purpose or intent of my post.

I have, therefore removed my comment since it causes such offence.

Betty

Post edited by Bettyboop55 on
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    What I see is that you only defend your interests instead of helping the author of this post. Personally, it is obvious that she is overwhelmed by the events. Please change just the turn of this discussion. I read in this topic messages like:
    No, you're wrong, The Sims 4 is better because ... No, go on the Sims 2 ... What is the role of the poster? Just answer his question which is:
    Should I buy The Sims 3?
    And one more battle is not only with insults. Any kind of debate is called a fight because it is the opinions that fight. If you want to debate, open another simple subject. It's just a suggestion, not an obligation

This thread is mild compared to other TS3/TS4 threads where people will argue about TS4 graphics being better than TS3 graphics or that TS4 Sims are better looking than TS3 Sims or that the closed worlds work better in the Sims games than the open worlds of TS3.

When someone asks for advice about buying the game, they expect people who play the game to give them that advice and tell them what they like about the game so that they can have different facts about the game so that they can decide if the game is right for them or not. You can't expect us TS3 players to just say "yes" or "no" when someone who doesn't own the game asks if it's worth it to give it a try. I know that I certainly wouldn't want yes or no answers with no facts about what's in the game that might be fun for me or not. I would want others to tell me what they like/love about the game and their favorite things to do in the game.

Now luckily for me when I chose to buy TS3 after trying TS2, I watched the promo videos to see for myself if it's a game that I might like considering that the players on the old TS2 site was bashing the game stating how bored that got once they completed creating a sim or family. So I wanted to see for myself what the game was about and took to watching the promo videos and then I brought the base game before trying out any expansion packs. Now I course I am hooked to TS3... :D
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    The OP might be reading their thread logged out, but since they are not answering any of the comments in it I am a little surprised it attracts so much eager attention, the thread seem to feed itself.

The thread does give off an impression of a battle, if not so much between different players, so between the two games Sims 3 and 4. Even if the OP did ask for a certain kind of comparison between the games: if Sims 3 with its EP:s would offer more gameplay than could be had in Sims 4 even with all expansion packs up to date, and if it therefore would be worth buying; they did not explicitly ask to have the two games compared in essence with eachother. Presumably gameplay is to be understood here, not as graphical aestethics or technical performance; but options in game: what to do for the player with the features, the sims, the worlds, the objects etc. Few posters in this thread have actually, and in depth, responded to and discussed the OP:s original question, however sincere that one was; and instead given opinionated views on why one game is, for them, valued better than the other. To me it seems the actual thread-question would be something that only those who have played both games, with all their respective packs - and so would be in a position to be able to compare the gameplay offered - could answer.

Of course a discussion can be held beyond the scope of a OP:s wish, and perhaps that is okey with this one in particular, it is hard to know since they do not comment; but the fact that arguments of this kind attracts so much attention in this forum, in so many threads, with so many views and posters involving in them, is rather interesting in itself. It does of course give a specific impression of the forum, and the discussion climate here; not only to the ones who enjoy engaging in threads like these, but to all who encounter them in one way or another. And one person objecting to the tone of the thread does not in itself entitle several others to start an argument about that fact, with only one counterpart; that gives the impression of bordering on bullying, to anyone not invested in threads like these and only onlooking. To be able to take criticism, and in a constructive way, is also part of a discussion.

Like the OP I am curious if someone who has played Sims 4 with all packs, as well as the same with Sims 3, think about the gameplay offered in the latter; since I myself cannot answer that question, not having bought or played The Sims 4. The reason to post in the Sims 4 part of the forum, apart from that being the mainly played game by the OP, by them compared to a previous experience of playing Sims 1 or 2, it is unclear; could also have been to direct the question to those familiar with that game and, as seems common here, having played the previous one before that.
  • dfxblockdfxblock Posts: 61 Member
    This is awesome ! I leave !
    I understand you ok, but it was a bit spin. But anyway, it's hard to understand, but I'll try.
    And in any case, the English forum is better than the French forum where you ask a question 4 days to get the answer. But as I say, it goes into a spin. And in addition you answer me as if I announced the end of the world and its reasons.
    [quote="AlexaKry;c-17038809"]@dfxblock : so you haven´t achieved what you were trying to, hm?! Sorry for you![/quote]

Sorry, I wanted to comment on Youtube but my phone bugged.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2019
    The question asked by the OP (and it’s up to them if they check the answers to their own topic or not, the topic is there and we are invited to throw in our two cents so we do) was ‘should i spend money on the sims 3 and its packs or is it not worth it?’, directly linked to the statement ‘I still find the game (TS4) lacking, and i know they're coming out with more stuff over the years, but i just need more gameplay NOW’. The comparison is actually in the OP and that’s no wonder because it’s the very reason they ask their question, not being fully satisfied with Sims 4.

The topic started in the TS4 section and a lot of the first advices (page 1) come down to: “I can’t go back to Sims 3 because the graphics are awful”, “played sims 3, and immediately switched it off and put sims 4 back on..” (that’s based on a mighty thorough observation then) and the good old “if you want gameplay go to sims 2, skip Sims 3 entirely”.

There is just no way to avoid comparing when giving someone advice who considers to buy an earlier version and all I can say is, if it would have been me, the OP, those advices on page 1 would have been the worst to get. Because for me Sims 3 is the most enjoyable and apart from the fact I don’t play a game for its graphics, I prefer Sims 3’s anyway. And believe it or not, as for gameplay, I favour Sims 3 over Sims 2. Speaking for myself, in spite of some of Sims 3’s sacrifices compared to TS2, I get a bit bored after playing Sims 2 for a while, which simply never happens when I play Sims 3. Sims 2’s strong points are the personalities (but I’m fine with Sims 3’s trait and moodlet system as well), more detail (which for me often just means grind, not in all cases but most of the time I’m happy with Sims 3’s short cut choices because for me it makes the experience more fluent), retail (which I don’t care about) and rotational play (which for me is an absolute downside because I don’t want to play more than one family and I don’t like it the neighbourhood doesn’t evolve together with my household and the time not continuing when leaving a lot is a downside for me as well).

So, when asked “should I buy version 3”, it’s inevitable to also throw in some opinions about version 4, the game the OP plays and apparently finds a bit boring and lacking. And not because it’s still new I might add, Sims 3’s on a par with Sims 4 now in that respect. At Sims 4’s current age they were done developing for Sims 3.

My advice: nobody ‘should’ do anything but yes, from my perspective Sims 3 is worth every penny you spend on it. While my money spent on Sims 4, I’m sorry to say, has been wasted.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Considering the original question by the OP has been more than answered with the different opinions put into the thread I'm going to close this off. Again this isn't a comparison thread or a thread on the greater debate about the different The Sims titles.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top