Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How I imagine TWEEN/PRETEENS in the SIMS

I think preteens would be a great addition to the evolution of sims. In the sims 4 when s child become a teen there is no progression shown of the effect of them growing up it like puff, they’re their just sprout up from a small child to a giant teen that are so close to young adult with barely any differences.
If we can have young adult and adult, then why can’t we have preteen and teen there are far more mood changes progression growing up from a child than there is with young adult to adult.
Behaviour:
I imagine preteen will struggle with dealing with the child like hobbies and growing up to more grown up hobbies being still finding enjoyment in some of their toys and depending on their personality if they are embarrassed by it.
Interaction:
The interaction with younger kids and older teens will come into play with wanting to be more accepted by older teens though trying not to act childish when ignore and not want to be though as child still either secretly playing with younger kids or distancing themselves at times depending on individual relationships. Asking parent about why they feel these new emotions.
Gameplay:
Being able to have your first crush.
CAS:
They will have a slight body shape but no muscle definition. (Girls have a slight chest bump)
They would have more grown up facial feature like teens (except the nose is still like a child’s) but softer.
They are shorter than Teen but taller than children.
Preteen clothes are a mix of teens and child’s clothes.

From Preteen to young adult:
ve2NVkI.jpg

Boy version
ZcHWJ55.png

In my opinion I think the sims 4 needs a preteen for the sims to be more engaging and real for the family dynamic. I also think is the best way to show a growth spurt.

Comments

• Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Yes, I would love preteens, or at the very least more development for teens to make them more distinct from YAs.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I like it but the picture they look a little more on the teen side hopefully if they do be in the game they make them look younger then teens but older then kids.
  • Options
    KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    i would want them to look smaller than teens, though...
  • Options
    BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    I would love that
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg
  • Options
    CaityTrinaCaityTrina Posts: 555 Member
    I personally feel most of the wanted interactions for preteens can fit between kids and teens instead, teens just need to be shorter so it's not a jump from kid to adult sized sim whos just slightly skinnier.
    caitytrina.png
  • Options
    divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    edited March 2019
    It's a nice idea and something I definitely want in the game, but sadly I don't think they'll add it to TS4 at this point. We can hope for TS5, but I'm not even sure they'll add it then. I also think the first Sim is too big-looking for a pre-teen. I'd say that's how teens should look like and pre-teens should be like half that size and look more like children, but a little older. I always imagined pre-teens as 10-12 year olds.
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Besides the height you pictured I'd love to see it all but if preteens were the size of adults it would just be annoying they should be there to fill in the gap from children to fully grown adult sized teens the next moment messing around. Something I'd like to see is jealously of older siblings from preteens or the ability to pick on younger siblings. I'd also like a small update with parenthood to deal with preteens changes be pimples voice cracks or body changes to help deal with the awkwardness or embarrassment these things could cause.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    simimpsimimp Posts: 94 Member
    It looks like an interesting idea, only she looks a bit tall for a preteen. But I guess height in TS4 has always been wonky anyway. I know they most likely won't ever add this phase of life to the game but if I could contribute an idea, mine would be growing pains, like an uncomfortable moodlet that lasts for an hour or so and happens every few days at random. I also definitely agree with @ChadSims2 about pimples, embarrassment, etc for teens. Maybe it doesn't necessarily have to be for parenthood, but knowing EA, it probably would be.
    twas brillig, amirite?
  • Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I really dont understand why people want this. Preteens would be a waste of resources. Everything pre-teens do, teens can already do. There's literally nothing exclusive to them. Pre-teen is ages 10-12 and they are basically considered older kids/early teens. It's just an unecessary addition.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    mika wrote: »
    I really dont understand why people want this. Preteens would be a waste of resources. Everything pre-teens do, teens can already do. There's literally nothing exclusive to them. Pre-teen is ages 10-12 and they are basically considered older kids/early teens. It's just an unecessary addition.

Agreed.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I'd like pre-teens too, but the teens in those pictures still look to have already reached the teen stage. They just look closer to 15-16 range, while the existing teens look 18. Honestly, I think the current children in the games look closer to pre-teens since they look to be around 10-11. (Its another reason why I think there should also be a stage in-between toddler and children).

Sadly, I doubt they'll do pre-teens at this point when there's still so much missing from the existing life stages. Only young adults and adults are truly fleshed out. Everyone else has barely anything unique to them, so I feel like if the team does anything to improve the life stages (and there's already a low change of even that happening), they'll just update those instead of adding any new ones. At this point I think all we can do is hope they do things to differentiate all of the life stages so they truly feel different.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    CaityTrina wrote: »
    I personally feel most of the wanted interactions for preteens can fit between kids and teens instead, teens just need to be shorter so it's not a jump from kid to adult sized sim whos just slightly skinnier.
    Making the teens smaller would require remaking everything for them they would have to have clothing all new animations made so we might as well get preteens which many want. You would have the players who like the size of the teens now mad but preteens would fill in the gap add in a all new life stage to draw in more players and you lose nothing.
    I get it some players think preteens are a waste of resources I feel the same about witches mermaids and many other features people want but you forget its not a "waste of resources" for everyone just you as its not something you want. I have wanted preteens since before release of the Sims 4 and dont feel teens or children can even come close to filling the gap nor giving the features to either of these life stages would make me happy as it would just look wrong.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Making the teens smaller would require remaking everything for them they would have to have clothing all new animations made so we might as well get preteens which many want. You would have the players who like the size of the teens now mad but preteens would fill in the gap add in a all new life stage to draw in more players and you lose nothing.
    I get it some players think preteens are a waste of resources I feel the same about witches mermaids and many other features people want but you forget its not a "waste of resources" for everyone just you as its not something you want. I have wanted preteens since before release of the Sims 4 and dont feel teens or children can even come close to filling the gap nor giving the features to either of these life stages would make me happy as it would just look wrong.

Agree to the fullest on this comment.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member

This, plus like toddlers they would require an entirely new category of clothing, and when we got toddlers we only got a wee handful clothes which as many packs have been added since then have not really increased all that much in variety or number. If we're lucky we get a shirt here or an outfit there but are mostly dependent on loading our games with cc in order to have any real number of choices. Also, what actual new gameplay do they bring? None, so I just don't see the point at all and really hope the devs don't waste precious time and resources on this, as there are so many other things that could be developed that actually bring value to the game.
  • Options
    S1MSLYS1S__QARDS1MSLYS1S__QARD Posts: 206 Member
    edited April 2019
    Karon wrote: »
    i would want them to look smaller than teens, though...

I'd like pre-teens too, but the teens in those pictures still look to have already reached the teen stage. They just look closer to 15-16 range, while the existing teens look 18. Honestly, I think the current children in the games look closer to pre-teens since they look to be around 10-11. (Its another reason why I think there should also be a stage in-between toddler and children).

Sadly, I doubt they'll do pre-teens at this point when there's still so much missing from the existing life stages. Only young adults and adults are truly fleshed out. Everyone else has barely anything unique to them, so I feel like if the team does anything to improve the life stages (and there's already a low change of even that happening), they'll just update those instead of adding any new ones. At this point I think all we can do is hope they do things to differentiate all of the life stages so they truly feel different.

ChadSims2 wrote: »

I didn’t say it had to be in the the Sims 4 it just how I imagined the preteens will be in the Sims.

I did try to make the Sims look smaller than it the picture but I want able to by much. 😩

I did mention in my description what the differences would be from teens and kids would be to preteens and why I think it’s needed.

I believe the preteen ages are 11 to 13 when kid generals start puberty. And the beginning stages are very different and drastic to the rest of your teen life puberty is a major stage in your life it needs to be highlighted in someway.

😌🙂

• Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    I think they should just make teens look like teens. That and add more teen only clothing and activities. I've never seen a need for preteens.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    edited June 2019

because its pretty simple, we never got proper teens to begin with, just adult clones for teens, going from a 10 year old to 18 year old is a big jump between child and teens.

TEENS DON'T LOOK LIKE TEENS

really annoying when simmers complain it will be a waste of resources for features they don't like. how is it a waste to you?
    maybe EA will think one of your loved features will be a waste to and unnecessary addition.

you nor I have any idea what features they would bring to preteens if they ever come,
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Actually the teens in Sims 4 can looks pretty much like 16 years old teens, just depends on what outfit or clothing you put them, though I can differentiate easily male teen from male ya, than a female one, just by looking at their facial structure.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Actually the teens in Sims 4 can looks pretty much like 16 years old teens, just depends on what outfit or clothing you put them, though I can differentiate easily male teen from male ya, than a female one, just by looking at their facial structure.

that's a matter of opinion, agree to disagree. from a 10 year old to a 16 year old is still a big jump.

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2019
    In concept drawings of early Sims 4 they showed the child age Sims as both younger child (6-9) and the pre-teen - and actually went with the pre-teen (age 10-12). So technically our Sims child is a pre-teen as they are considered about 10. Back after the Sims 4 was announced one of the artists shared their concept drawings and said this - so technically the Sims 4 has pre-teens, they don't have the younger child like they were in Sims 2 and 3. That is why the sims kids act older and sit around talking and such instead of doing much like play tags and things young kids would do. I also think this is why they made our adorable toddlers as 2& 1/2-3 years old instead of Sims 2 and 3 toddlers that were 12-24 months.

Of course some simmers think of their sims kids as younger and dress them younger but by design and the concept drawing your Sims child is a pre-teen. I play all my Sims 4 child age as pre-teens, because of it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    LeosimsLeosims Posts: 47 Member
    Yeah But depends!

as Said Writin reg So techinically Our sims child is A Pre-teen As they are considered about 10.

But I Probably disagree Your idea.

Thank you!
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    I’d love to see preteens. They’re after children and before teenagers.

Plus;

Infants, after newborns (the crib baby furniture objects), and before toddlers.

Seniors, before Elders and after Adults.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited August 2019
    Hestia wrote: »
    I’d love to see preteens. They’re after children and before teenagers.

Plus;

Infants, after newborns (the crib baby furniture objects), and before toddlers.

Seniors, before Elders and after Adults.

I feel the same way, I'd like newborn (the crib baby object), infants (like the babies in Freeplay with hair and developed eye colors who learn how to crawl and how to stand up and who can use toys), toddler, preschooler/kindergartner, children, preteens, teens, YA, A, senior and elder in my game. That would be cool.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2019
    Witches/mermaids are not comparable to preteens in sense of who's depth suggestion. All preteen is a combination of child and teen interactions, while mermaids/witches have completely unique interactions from different Sims. The only reason people desire preteens so much is due to their height I would assume.

I don't really get why they had make teens look older than they actually are. Honestly, the best execution would have made them 'grow up' in height after waking up before they half way there to becoming adults.

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Witches/mermaids are not comparable to preteens in sense of who's depth suggestion. All preteen is a combination of child and teen interactions, while mermaids/witches have completely unique interactions from different Sims. The only reason people desire preteens so much is due to their height I would assume.

I don't really get why they had make teens look older than they actually are. Honestly, the best execution would have made them 'grow up' in height after waking up before they half way there to becoming adults.

because people hated it that they needed 3 different sets of clothes: child, teen and then adult set of clothes because of the different height?
    6adMCGP.gif