Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Roof Help!

I just started a new house and have been trying to roof it for a while now. It's an absolute nightmare for me since I'm so bad at roofing anyway and the house is half diagonal. Is anyone up to try it and see if they can get a good result? Altering the walls of the house is okay.

https://thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9295940

Comments

• naniminnananiminna Posts: 463 Member
    I'd advise burning the roof down. But then again, I'm not a builder. xD
  • SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    I would try and put two large long pieces on, and then do the overhangs after.

So I would put one long piece down the main straight part of the house, keeping it to just the main walls. Then I would do a piece along the length of the diagonal. I would play around with different types of roof. Probably going for the gabled roof, as this might be easier for where both roof pieces come together.

I would then go around and do the parts of the house that are sticking out. I would try and keep all of those fairly similar in style, so find a style that works on nearly all of them and go with that. It gives some unity to the build.

Play around with the pitch of the roof as well, keeping similar roof pieces to the same height.

Hope that might be of some help. I've been having a nightmare with a building I'm doing at the moment that has a diagonal part to it, and couldn't get a roof to fit at all. I've ended up doing a flat roof haha :D
  • GreenCatsGreenCats Posts: 9,318 Member
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Nelora10 :smile:

I can take a stab at this for you if you like.

Diagonal roofs can be a real pain so I can see why you've been struggling with it. The first idea that springs to mind is to add some different layers vertically (e.g. via friezes), so the straight part of the build is a little higher than the diagonal part. That would give us a bit of space to hide any weird joins.

To get a clearer sense of what further options we have, it would be helpful for me to know a little more about the build, specifically:

- Do you have a sense of the style you're going for with the build yet? Or even inspiration picture(s)? Different styles will open up different challenges for the roof, but also different opportunities for hiding flaws.
    - The shape of the build you've arrived at seems to be quite detailed and distinctive. Were you working from a particular floor plan or something?
    - You mentioned that you wouldn't mind having the walls altered, but obviously you wouldn't want to end up with a completely different build! What is it that you like about what you have so far and would be keen to preserve?
    Post edited by GreenCats on
    You can still find me on my old My page (http://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/GreenCats), and see more of my game-play pictures and CC-free uploads at gcsims.com