Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dying Population?

What does everybody do to deal with the dying population in your games? I've been playing the same game for quite a while now, only one family and it's just been a realization to me that all the houses in all the different worlds apart from a few that I placed sim families into are empty, even the cheap houses are empty, all the sims have died of old age and not been replaced. I do have the "Fill Empty Homes" option checked but it seems like it's not working.

Do you repopulate yourself or just leave it?

Comments

• SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I use MCCC.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I always play with aging off except in the household I am currently in but then I play rotationally with over 20 households and everyone I care about age at the roughly the same pace except a few households (premade) and all the homeless npcs and townies. That means that my families will always have neighbours and distant and not so distant relatives in world. If I were to play only one household I'd use the MCCC thing, probably.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2019
    Stina1701A wrote: »
    I always play with aging off except in the household I am currently in but then I play rotationally with over 20 households and everyone I care about age at the roughly the same pace except a few households (premade) and all the homeless npcs and townies. That means that my families will always have neighbours and distant and not so distant relatives in world. If I were to play only one household I'd use the MCCC thing, probably.

Oh I didn't know we could turn aging off for everybody except the family that we play. I wish I had done this so all the popular townies hadn't died. I miss the goths and other familiar faces. I wish it was possible to add them back without restarting a new game. :'(
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Just download them off of the gallery and replace them back into their homes.

Maybe this is the excuse I need to just start over. I have been thinking about it for a while anyway and it I guess it will be fun building everything up from scratch again. Thanks for your replies. They have been very helpful. :)
  • takenbysheeptakenbysheep Posts: 343 Member
    I use MCCC, but I still go in (with full edit mode on) and edit in cas from the manage households tab. I merge couples and play with genetics to make babies. It seems kinda time consuming but really its not. If you do just a few tweaks and add a few babies every time you start up your game, then the worlds tend to keep pretty populated. Plus you can micromanage which sims marry and what kinda kids they have >:)
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    I play with aging off, I only age everyone up once every Winter. So, whoever die, at least I have the time to deal with it. I play nearly 60 households, so vacant houses would be very welcome :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    What does everybody do to deal with the dying population in your games? I've been playing the same game for quite a while now, only one family and it's just been a realization to me that all the houses in all the different worlds apart from a few that I placed sim families into are empty, even the cheap houses are empty, all the sims have died of old age and not been replaced. I do have the "Fill Empty Homes" option checked but it seems like it's not working.

The very reason I switched to a rotational player! I'm currently repopulating my worlds with the brethren of Malcolm Landgraab. How nice.
    edited March 2019
    calaprfy wrote: »

The very reason I switched to a rotational player! I'm currently repopulating my worlds with the brethren of Malcolm Landgraab. How nice.

I'm considering becoming a rotational player. I think it could be interesting to play the different families.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited March 2019

Maybe this is the excuse I need to just start over. I have been thinking about it for a while anyway and it I guess it will be fun building everything up from scratch again. Thanks for your replies. They have been very helpful. :)

I've had to restart in the past. Most of the time I start from Ground Zero. Lately, I've managed to simply roll back a game save or two. The latest patch broke a mod I was using and I definitely found it more favorable to restart my Global Superstar from his teen years. The mod has since been updated, to my intense relief and just today, he's made it to Proper Celebrity. (I always do a "Save As" and add a number and/or letter to the name of the save). I don't always delete the older ones, thank goodness, or I would have had to start by pulling this family from my library!

I would start over, if I were in your shoes and apply the aging off to all but the active household, this time. Good luck and HAVE FUN!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I play rotational with aging off. I build my sims world as I go with sims that are needed for other sim stories or story lines. I age them up as I wish and that depends on their story. Some never age.

I don't worry about a dead world. Everything is alive and well in mine and always evolving with characters I create to make it so. Every time new content comes out it is a guarantee that I add a couple of households to my save. Sometimes more. Or I re-purpose sims who have been waiting for new content and develop them with it.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited March 2019
    calaprfy wrote: »

I have trouble remembering that I need to go and do some rotational play from time to time for just this reason. ...So periodically I go into manage households and either create new families /family members through CAS options or download and place more from the gallery. I really really should try and remember to do some rotational play so that I can see future generations of some of my favorite NPC families and not just the ones who marry into my main house.

That said, I use MCCC and it does a fairly good job of marrying and making babies from the NPC community so that the world continues to change and grow.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • VodkaVodka Posts: 25 Member
    > @Sharonia said:
    > SimAlexandria wrote: »
    >
    > Just download them off of the gallery and replace them back into their homes.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Maybe this is the excuse I need to just start over. I have been thinking about it for a while anyway and it I guess it will be fun building everything up from scratch again. Thanks for your replies. They have been very helpful. :)

Tbh, I took the time near the end of last year and pulled in premades off the Gallery, deleted all the random hobos and changed all the homes I don't play but wanted to visually spruce up the neighborhoods and it was the best decision. It's really nice to not see the same sims over and over and over again and some people are very creative with their families (someone created a family of Greek Gods and it's hilarious to see Zeus in my game). Granted I approached Sims 4 very differently this time, but I've kind of had my fill of the Landgraabs as my family which I slowly extend off of is basically them but more money, power and nicer to look at.
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    I have aging turned off and am a rotational player, however I too had a bit of a problem with population. The best solution I have found is to go into Manage Households and add sims from the gallery to the "Other Households" tab. This way I always have a healthy population. You could always move some of these sims on some lots too.
  • DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    I repopulate myself. While I don’t play most of the pre-made households, I will move them out, move them in with each other, marry them off, etc.. I’ll take them into CAS and give them children and age them up.

Also, with how old this particular save is and with how many households I rotate between, my own Sims take up much of the space in all of my worlds.
  • SimSweetySimSweety Posts: 73 Member
    edited March 2019
    I use MCCC story progression to keep my towns populated.
    Post edited by SimSweety on
  • brittany_jeanbrittany_jean Posts: 25 Member
    I'm a new rotational player and I really like it. I turned off aging for houses I'm not playing. I still get the random death and age-up. But it's kept the game more fun and interesting to rotate around. I don't follow a specific timeline for when I switch families. I didn't start with aging-off so I needed to replenish a few homes. I got them all from the gallery and I'm super impressed with how interesting gallery households are! I was tired of townies with no skills and no careers. Last night I went around and spruced up the worlds with new houses and lots as well. It's pretty cool! At first I was annoyed my "fill empty homes" toggle didn't seem to work either. But now I'm happy.
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    I just use MCCC.

And since I also have a mod that disables the creation of random townies, I make sure most of my sims have more than one child. Depending on the type of sim, that can range from 2 kids to over 6. And though I will *never* play with the (unfortunate) sim that manages to have over 6 kids, those extra sims are still there to populate the world so it's never too empty.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    @gemjas What mod do you use for preventing random townies? Didn't know that was a thing. Curious to try it.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I use MCCC. I like my worlds to feel alive and see my Sims that I have moved out, have lives of their own and have some story progression. Ghosts add to the population so I use LittleMsSam's Release All Ghosts mod to delete all ghosts in my game. It keeps them from getting deleted from the family tree too. So I use MC to populate my worlds and LittleMsSam's mod to delete them when they die.
  • MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Stina1701A wrote: »

Oh I didn't know we could turn aging off for everybody except the family that we play. I wish I had done this so all the popular townies hadn't died. I miss the goths and other familiar faces. I wish it was possible to add them back without restarting a new game. :'(

You can also set it separately for played and unplayed households. Aging for played households give you options for aging on, aging only for active household, and aging off. Then there's a checkbox for whether you want unplayed households to age.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i keep aging fully off and i also have death turn off
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2019
    Triplis wrote: »
    @gemjas What mod do you use for preventing random townies? Didn't know that was a thing. Curious to try it.

I use the NPC Control mod. You can download it here. And you can read about how it works and how to use it here. However, the modder hasn't added a way to stop the Strangerville NPCs from generating. He's working on that though. But for now I just delete them as I see them.
  • RedSabrinaRedSabrina Posts: 7 New Member
    I change the slider to where my sims do not age :o
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    @gemjas Thanks! I'll give it a try. :)
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io