Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just downloading Sims 3 now!

I haven't played Sims 3 in a long, long time and I'm just now installing it and 3 expansion packs. I know it will need patching, and I'm wondering how to go about that. I'm downloading from Origin as we speak. Thanks!

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    I haven't played Sims 3 in a long, long time and I'm just now installing it and 3 expansion packs. I know it will need patching, and I'm wondering how to go about that. I'm downloading from Origin as we speak. Thanks!

If you are downloading from Origin i think you will be automatically patched to patch 1.69
  • applefeather2applefeather2 Posts: 4,003 Member
    Okay. Good to know. Thanks, @Karritz
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Welcome back :) We still have a decent community for S3 and other websites too. Feel free to stick around.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I just started playing it for the first time to give it a try.

I keep waiting for loading screens when I send my Sim somewhere and keep forgetting they're not there. (Or at least they're cleverly disguised by the animation of the car going down the road.)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member

I keep waiting for loading screens when I send my Sim somewhere and keep forgetting they're not there. (Or at least they're cleverly disguised by the animation of the car going down the road.)

It's Open World so after that first initial loading screen into the save file, you're good to go and free to roam the world.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    SimplyJen wrote: »

It's Open World so after that first initial loading screen into the save file, you're good to go and free to roam the world.

Yep, and I'm having fun roaming. :)

I was trying to say that I assume the game doesn't load every single object and Sim in every single building when the game starts, but rather loads them for the lot I'm on and loads them for the lot I'm headed to as the car is going there. However it's doing it, it's all happening in the background, and it's nicely put together. As long as the world stays open without my computer throwing itself in a lake, I'm happy.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    edited March 2019

I was trying to say that I assume the game doesn't load every single object and Sim in every single building when the game starts, but rather loads them for the lot I'm on and loads them for the lot I'm headed to as the car is going there. However it's doing it, it's all happening in the background, and it's nicely put together. As long as the world stays open without my computer throwing itself in a lake, I'm happy.

You will gradually learn the tricks we need to know to keep a save going. One tip is to save often. Have fun. And SaveAs with slightly different names each time is very useful.
    Karritz wrote: »

You will gradually learn the tricks we need to know to keep a save going. One tip is to save often. Have fun.

Thanks! I will settle first for not setting my Sim on fire. ^_^
    edited March 2019
    Karritz wrote: »

You will gradually learn the tricks we need to know to keep a save going. One tip is to save often. Have fun.

Thanks! I will settle first for not setting my Sim on fire. ^_^

Thats funny you say that. Today I was playing when the game threw me into the house of another sim. All of my townies are sims I've made and placed in this user made world so I don't know if that made a difference, but i was surprised to see the Sim in the house was in his basement and on fire. I didn't want him to die so I reset him using NRAAS Master Controller. Then I went back to my active household. After a few minutes it happened again. I reset him again. Stopped playing for the day after that. I'm recording video for the next episode of my McFluff story but I wasnt recording when the fire happened.

I always do SaveAs and add consecutive numbers to the end of the file name. It has saved me on many occasions. If a save gets corrupt or something goes wrong its good to not have to srart a game again from the beginning.

I think it loads each lot as it becomes active. There is an Object Hiding check box in Options. If i t is enabled it only loads items on the active level in multi level buildings. Its a useful option if your computer is struggling with a complex lot.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,116 Member
    edited March 2019
    @katrinasforest I love your sense of humor! :lol:

@applefeather2 Welcome back! And I hope you have loads of fun playing! :smiley:

Do share pics of your gameplay on the What Happened in Your Sims 3 Game Today? thread. :)
    (Would link it, but I'm on my tablet and that's hard to do. :p )
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Welcome Back :)

I hope you have great fun rediscovering TS3.

On the subject of saves, I regularly save games and my CAW project to an EHD. It has come in handy this last week as I had to do a disk reinstall.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita