Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing with Rules/Restrictions

Hi sim family! :)

I am currently working on starting a legacy. I am starting with a female young adult sim.

I plan to play with the following rules:

-No buying food ingredients that you can grow or catch for cooking (will be in gardening career)
-No hiring to repair, or replacing. Can only fix.
-NO CHEATS

I figured I get bored of playing a family/legacy if I start cutting corners so, I’m wondering what other rules like these, and to save money I can play with.

Also, do you play with any rules?

Comments

• ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    The official legacy challenge creators released a "lite" version today.

https://www.simslegacychallenge.com/the-legacy-challenge-lite/

I'm on my phone, so I can't make this post nest and tidy, but on that same site is the original legacy if you want more of a challenge. The orginial legacy rules got an update, so even that is much, much simpler.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited March 2019
    I never use cheats in my game, I can't really see the point in playing and cheating and I always make my sims repair their own appliances too cause it's good for getting their handiness skill leveled. I'm still learning about gardening though so that rule I don't follow.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Better to make your own rules for sure because I rarely stick to any rules for any sort of challenges.

I always stick to my no cheating money or needs.

Only time I do cheat money is if I want my sim just starting out with 0$ or no more than 50$

Sim eventually made enough money to save up for a yard sale table so they can sell the things they make or find. (No selling via inventory. Had sold things via the table in city living that would pop up at festivals or a certain district if you really wanna penny pinch).

Also, would have them using the public bathrooms and such, until they're able to have the surrounding four walls for some privacy.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2019
    I like the Random Legacy. It's different every generation and every time you play it.

I also incorporate mods and CC in, so for example I've added Icemunmun's Canning and Candle Making as extra unconventional careers.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    The official legacy challenge creators released a "lite" version today.

https://www.simslegacychallenge.com/the-legacy-challenge-lite/

I'm on my phone, so I can't make this post nest and tidy, but on that same site is the original legacy if you want more of a challenge. The orginial legacy rules got an update, so even that is much, much simpler.

Thanks for posting about the lite version! I've tried to do this challenge a couple times and a few of the variations for it, but I always end up being frustrated by having to keep track of all the rules and giving up because it was more stressful than fun for me. They always seem to end up being mega rich too and I get bored. Plus with my old laptop, I couldn't play on the big lots, too much lag.

I might actually try this lite version sometime soon, looks much more relaxing. :)

I always try to follow the rules when doing a challenge 'officially.' But if I'm just doing it for fun after the first or second time, I might make up my own modified rules to make it harder to progress. I usually start out all new gameplay save Sims, whether for a challenge (if possible) or not, Rags to Riches style. No simoleons on an empty lot and no jobs off the lot or at home versions. Lately, I've been shying away from letting them collect, fish, garden and paint, makes it way too fast and easy to progress.

Unless I'm in the mood for it, then I'll have a 'theme' for them with only one way they can make simoleons such as; hacking, taking photographs, breeding frogs, busking, yard sale, retail store, etc. I never use money cheats, ever, except to take away simoleons. No money trees or lottery tickets allowed either. However, I do use MOO when building and sometimes debug for decorative objects without an environment score or mood aura only. Those are the only cheats I'll use when playing this way. :)

Usually I make it a rule they can't build a house or put anything on their lot (except maybe a few edible plants, nothing expensive like Dragonfruit) until they have saved up 5k or 10k simoleons. They have to sleep on benches, steal food or eat what they can harvest, roast fish they've caught, (or if they're a glutton, they can only eat food rummaged from trash cans), shower at the gym, use the computer at the library, talk to Sims for social, no using their cells, etc. Sometimes though I'll go the route where as soon as they can afford it, they can get a tent, campfire, lanterns, outdoor shower, boom box, guitar, etc. Anything they could carry in their inventory.

If they want a toilet though, they have to be able to afford a partial enclosure for it. Unless I let them have the woo pee bush. I think it just looks silly and unrealistic having a toilet sitting out in the open. How embarrassing if another Sim jogs by. "Oh hello, don't mind me, just taking a dump." o.O Almost never let them use the cooler for free food either.

I have a custom template I use to start all gameplay saves now set for Summer to start. But before I made that, if I started my Sims out in Winter, they could sometimes have a 'roof' shelter on their lot if I didn't feel like sending them to a venue when there was a blizzard or for thunderstorms in other seasons. Roof shelters are free, except for a door. But those only cost 50 simoleons. It's a great temporary shelter for plants too if you want to grow some out of season but can't afford to build a greenhouse or don't have room in their house for indoor potted plants. I try not to do that now though since it feels kind of cheaty. *shrugs*

My Sims usually don't start out life very easy, especially if I'm playing the Extreme Rags to Riches challenge. lol
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited March 2019
    I don't allow my legacy sims to paint or sell garden ingredients on the first few generations because it accumulates too much money too soon if they do. And we all know how helpful money can be for making life easier for them and game play easier for us.

I also don't allow sims who move in to bring in any money or items with them. When they marry in, I delete their funds and belongings (I money cheat it away.)

To be clear, I allow them to garden but it must be for personal use. They can put food stuffs in the fridge for use or use the flowers for flower arranging (but they can't sell the arrangements til the family is already rich)

I also disallow the sale of collectables. I've built a basement in one of my saves to store all the collectable stuff in. Eventually it'll become the family crypt/burial chamber but for now its simply room to grow collections :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    My Sims always do their own plumbing repairs, but I don't let them repair electronics unless they have high enough handiness skill. They also have to clean up after themselves (no dragging dishes to the trash or dishwasher or books to the bookcase). I never hire gardners, maids or nannies (they don't do the jobs properly, anyway).
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    um I've pretty much played like this since the game was released lol.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    Need to play according to my sims' personalities. And do what I need to keep the game fun. Even if it means leaving the game alone for a while and start a new save on a different perspective not to burn myself.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...