Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need help or ideas! What am I doing wrong? CLOSED

Simalien1Simalien1 Posts: 244 Member
Hey guys sorry to bother you with this.

I run a build channel on YouTube, I truly stand behind my builds, I think they're so lovely, but I feel a little sad because my channel isnt growing as fast as other people's build channels do. I spend a lot of time in editing them, and I also find my editing skills great. I see no issues in my videos. Then when I look at other smaller channels, they grow so much faster than I do. What is it I'm doing wrong here? I spend everyday on building and editing. But it seems like all people do is download the builds and be like "yeah thanks bye", while I have spend so many hours into it.

Help :'( I feel like giving up, I've said this before, I keep having the feeling of quiting, but then again, I already made it to almost 400 subs.. And I am doing what I love, but the views arent there... I work so hard for getting about a 100 views or less.

All kinds of critique are welcome. It only helps me get better. The only thing I'm going to ignore is if people say i should do an entire voice over. I'll explain why I dont want to do that.
1. I am an introvert, I hate talking a lot, especially about myself over an whole video, like many youtubers do, youtube is for my builds, its not my therapist.
2. I am not English, its not my first language, i struggle really hard to have something to say at each new video. I just cant talk 20/30 mins straight in a language i wasnt born with.
3. I love to lay back, and relax when watching speed build videos, and it sometimes makes me stressed when all here is bla bla bla throughout the videos, when all i want is to watch the video with relaxing music in the background, thats why i never go for the loud and heavy music.
So therefor I just talk a few minutes in the beginning of the video and then let the relaxing music in.

Thank you for taking the time to read is.

This is my latest video, go ahead, be honest, but dont hurt my feelings (i am very sensitive, no joke)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVVOAjYb8Hk&t=599s
MVIHo4S.jpg
Post edited by Simalien1 on

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Hello! I'm not into speed build videos, so I can't help you with that. Just wanted to stop by to tell you that there are many channels with far less subscribers (and probably views) than your channel. 400 is 4 times as many as I have. Among several machinima projects I make a series where each episode lasts 22 minutes, and I spend 4-5 weeks working nearly every single day on each episode. It's definitely not worth the 30 views each video gets, or the 3 new subscribers every month. So, I'm doing it because I enjoy making machinima so much.

Youtube has tons of channels, and to bring in viewers you would need to spend hours and hours watching and commenting other people's vids. I do that a little, but because my day has only 24 hrs, I must limit it to my niche, skipping speed builds and lets plays, even if I find many of them quite good. I wish I could watch one video every day, but I'm happy if I find time for 1 every week. Because making my own series is so time consuming.

Keep doing what you do, don't bother too much with views, subscribers or a future income from adds (in 10 years, yeah, might never happen). Your builds look great, and people downloading them should prove you're doing a great job n them. Maybe your videos could need some twist to stand out? I like seeing builds from a sim's view, maybe a machinima snippet for atmosphere?

Enjoy :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • CaelaiCaelai Posts: 89 Member
    your builds look amazing & i really loved that intro on your newest video! you just got yourself a new subscriber <3

@Simmerville gots some really good points there! i also recommend you to make a twitter for your channel. the sims twitter community is really amazing & supportive! best of luck with your channel!
    youtube: Caelai | twitter: caelaisims | tumblr: caelai-sims | origin: caelaisims | discord: Small Simmers
  • Simalien1Simalien1 Posts: 244 Member
    Hello! I'm not into speed build videos, so I can't help you with that. Just wanted to stop by to tell you that there are many channels with far less subscribers (and probably views) than your channel. 400 is 4 times as many as I have. Among several machinima projects I make a series where each episode lasts 22 minutes, and I spend 4-5 weeks working nearly every single day on each episode. It's definitely not worth the 30 views each video gets, or the 3 new subscribers every month. So, I'm doing it because I enjoy making machinima so much.

Youtube has tons of channels, and to bring in viewers you would need to spend hours and hours watching and commenting other people's vids. I do that a little, but because my day has only 24 hrs, I must limit it to my niche, skipping speed builds and lets plays, even if I find many of them quite good. I wish I could watch one video every day, but I'm happy if I find time for 1 every week. Because making my own series is so time consuming.

Keep doing what you do, don't bother too much with views, subscribers or a future income from adds (in 10 years, yeah, might never happen). Your builds look great, and people downloading them should prove you're doing a great job n them. Maybe your videos could need some twist to stand out? I like seeing builds from a sim's view, maybe a machinima snippet for atmosphere?

Enjoy :)

@Simmerville Thanks for your reply, i have no idea what machinima is though even after googling it haha. I do already watch other peoples videos and comment on them, just by giving them compliments, dont wanna spam other peoples videos by saying "yo check out my channel" haha. I will definetely continue what im doing, its like a medicine for all my past problems haha, it is such a great way of staying away from negative thoughts. Feeling down? Just build in the sims and POOF, its gone haha. I cant help but focus on the subscribe number, i dont know why i do that.. Ill try not to pay attention to it. Thank you so much for commenting.
    MVIHo4S.jpg
    Caelai wrote: »
    your builds look amazing & i really loved that intro on your newest video! you just got yourself a new subscriber <3

@Simmerville gots some really good points there! i also recommend you to make a twitter for your channel. the sims twitter community is really amazing & supportive! best of luck with your channel!

@Caelai Thank you!! Yeah I wasnt really sure on what to do with the intro so i changed it a few times already. This one is short and not so loud. But i am still looking for a professional to make a nice intro and outro for me, or maybe i should just stick with what i made myself, its kinda cute too. I worry too much xD
    MVIHo4S.jpg
  • CaelaiCaelai Posts: 89 Member
    Simalien1 wrote: »
    @Caelai Thank you!! Yeah I wasnt really sure on what to do with the intro so i changed it a few times already. This one is short and not so loud. But i am still looking for a professional to make a nice intro and outro for me, or maybe i should just stick with what i made myself, its kinda cute too. I worry too much xD

aw! i think the most important thing is that it looks like you :) don't worry! <3

btw. if you decide to make a twitter, let me know so i can follow and/or promote you there :)
    https://twitter.com/caelaisims
    youtube: Caelai | twitter: caelaisims | tumblr: caelai-sims | origin: caelaisims | discord: Small Simmers
  • DESERTFLOWER1981DESERTFLOWER1981 Posts: 90 Member
    edited March 2019
    @Simmerville proposed some good ideas. Remember why you are doing this, why did you start, what was the feeling that made you enjoy your work? Do what you love, enjoy what you are doing, and do not let how many likes affect why you are doing what you are doing. You do it because it is a passion. As an introvert/extrovert, I can understand what you mean, I am a native English speaker so I do not know but can imagine the difficulty there. I just want you to remember that how many likes you receive and views you receive is not a representation of you. If you are doing what you love to do it should be good enough. Hugs
    Cheers!
    I am writing a story, want to read it?
    Visit my blog here
    Visit the latest update for the discussion here
    Caelai wrote: »
    Simalien1 wrote: »

aw! i think the most important thing is that it looks like you :) don't worry! <3

btw. if you decide to make a twitter, let me know so i can follow and/or promote you there :)
    https://twitter.com/caelaisims

@Caelai I'm thinking about making a twitter account but then i have to redo all my banners xD i just made new ones haha. But i think I can already make a twitter account, i just never used twitter, never liked it haha. That's why i never created one. But I will. Thank you so much for your ideas and helping me out. Thats so sweet of you. God i love the people in this community. Cant say it enough.
    MVIHo4S.jpg
    @Simmerville proposed some good ideas. Remember why you are doing this, why did you start, what was the feeling that made you enjoy your work? Do what you love, enjoy what you are doing, and do not let how many likes affect why you are doing what you are doing. You do it because it is a passion. As an introvert/extrovert, I can understand what you mean, I am a native English speaker so I do not know but can imagine the difficulty there. I just want you to remember that how many likes you receive and views you receive is not a representation of you. If you are doing what you love to do it should be good enough. Hugs
    Cheers!

@DESERTFLOWER1981 TRUTH! I just told my mom how much I love doing this, it helped me get my mind off bad things, i gave me something to do in my life. I am seriously never ever bored. I even lack in time now for my other hobbies haha. I am very passionate about my work, and I love how i keep getting better and better, its such a huge motivation. But so is a growing channel haha.
    MVIHo4S.jpg
    @Caelai Well I did it! I just made a twitter account and followed you there. I hope this will help, I am not sure how to use Twitter but I guess I'll just share my instagram posts automatically on twitter as i do with FB.
    MVIHo4S.jpg
  • ClassicSimsClassicSims Posts: 49 Member
    Hi! I really like your builds, don't feel down because of the views, if you love this, keep it going, you'll eventually grow out of this "dead end" and continue to grow!
    Also, keep in mind that the fact that you love a certain type of video, doesn't mean everyone else does. Now let's take a look at the biggest simmers:
    LilSimsie, TheSimSupply, Deligracy, AviatorGamez, SimLicy, Vixella, XurbansimsX...
    ALL of them speak on their videos. It is what attracts most viewers, seeing someone, real, who you can relate to, who feels like a person. A majority of people will choose a let's play with a voiceover from someone like James or Kayla, rather than a 30 minute video of a build with no one talking. I know it sucks because not everyone feels that way, but a majority of people do. I mean, when I see a playthrough from a game that's not the sims, without a voiceover, I immediately close it. I'm not interested in watching someone play something I play, if they're not gonna talk about it, express their views, make jokes, funny remarks, etc.
    Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh, not trying to come off that way, just expressing why I feel you may not be getting your expected results. :smile:
  • ClassicSimsClassicSims Posts: 49 Member
    edited April 2019
    That being said, it doesn't mean you can't grow, if you keep it going, and do what you love, you'll for sure get results. Maybe not as good as you expect them to be, but still, good enough to satisfy you :smile: