Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Voices

I'm just wondering if people pay attention to sims' voices when they create them. I am also wondering if there are certain voices you avoid when creating sims.

What's prompted me to ask is in watching various videos, I'm super surprised at how many people use the "Melodic" voice on their female sims. To me personally that voice grates on my nerves so severely - it just sounds SO harsh and annoys me so badly, I have a hard time thinking it could sound good to anyone (especially when they do this "woobee woobee" joke thing). To me there is nothing remotely "melodic" about it, it is in fact the opposite.
So I'm wondering if it is just that sometimes people overlook the voice when they create their sims? Or do different voices just affect different people in different ways?
I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

www.youtube.com/c/LadySweettart

Comments

• Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    edited March 2019
    Oh no, I spend a ridiculous amount of time on my sims in CAS and pay close attention to everything, including their voice and its pitch. I actually wish we had more voices to choice from, as it's a nice touch for making them more unique. I also love how different speaking voices/pitches creates different singing voices. The voice has to suit the sim for me, so for example my English grand master vampire has the 'warm' voice because he's supposed to be very well spoken, mature and educated, while another of my sims is a histrionic goofball so he has the 'brash' voice. I sometimes have a particular background or accent in mind for a character so I try to pick the closest to that and adjust the pitch accordingly. I don't think there's a voice I avoid completely, but I can understand how certain voices or pitches could be annoying, particularly the 'melodic' voice which is my least favourite for females. You're right actually, there's nothing melodic about it! I definitely use 'lilted' more often. I also prefer the 'warm' voice for men over the 'clear' which can sound a bit whiny and immature to me.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I do pay special attention to the voice I choose for them because there are a few pitches I find quite annoying.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited March 2019
    Yep, just depends on how my sims looks and their personality, I usually used all voices but one, usually avoid the one in the middle in a female voices, idk what's the name of the voices though, i just dont like how it sounded. for tough guy i usually use brass, geek/nerd use clear with slightly high pitch. warm is used for whatever look suited for it. I prefer mostly clear voice because of how funny it sounded especially the react voice everytime someone complained to them.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    (especially when they do this "woobee woobee" joke thing)

Ha! his is so true, I dislike this particular joke thing for one of the female voices, it gotta be the melodic, although I don't remember how they are titled.

I do pay attention to voices, mainly because I want variety. Even so, most sims in my game are born in-game, and I never adjust their voices. For my machinima making I might create a few specific sims, then the voice is normally very important. But I have to admit that sometimes I forget it.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    I try to, but sometimes I forget. I have to say, though, the sound of their voice must be pleasing to my ear or it's a no-go. Also, with my singer Sim, his singing voice must be pleasing. Sometimes, that's what drives my choice.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    edited March 2019
    I pay attention to this. I try to avoid extreme highs and lows for both male and female Sims, because the really high ones annoy me and the really low ones I feel are pretty rare irl. I actually had to go edit a sim yesterday because I completely forgot to check her voice! As soon as she started talking in game I realized her voice was as high as it could go, so I had to go in to change it. She sounded like a mouse especially when I used fast forward 😂
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    luxsylvan wrote: »
    I pay attention to this. I try to avoid extreme highs and lows for both male and female Sims, because the really high ones annoy me and the really low ones I feel are pretty rare irl. I actually had to go edit a sim yesterday because I completely forgot o check her voice! As soon as she started talking in game I realized her voice was as high as it could go, so I had to go in to change it. She sounded like a mouse especially when I used fast forward 😂

I fully agree.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited March 2019
    I try to give my sims different voices but they all wind up sounding the same to me once in game. There will be slight differences, like the really low/high voices, but for the most part they all sound pretty similar to me.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    joyofliving37joyofliving37 Posts: 106 Member
    I pay attention to the voices and adjust them based on how I want my sims to sound. I feel the same way about the melodic voice. I never choose it for my sims. I always use the sweet and lilted voices. I have to be careful with the sweet voice though. That one is hard on my ears if too high.
  • Options
    Endless_DaysEndless_Days Posts: 54 Member
    I definitely pay attention to them. I feel like certain voices compliment certain looks better, so I spend as much time as I have to to get it right. I also avoid pairing up my sims with a mate who sounds exactly like a family member, because that's just weird. I can't tell you how many times I've had a sim looking for love at a bar or at the romance festival and just when I thought I've found a suitable townie for him it turns out she's basically his mom in a different body.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Oh definitely! The voices are very important to a lot of my characters. I make a lot of fantastical and occult Sims, so I pay close attention to things like that. I have a household of fairies that all have high, funny voices that I love. I've made slightly monstrous Sims with jarringly deep voices too. And I like that I can choose scratchier voice tones for gruffer Sims. I think the voices do add a lot to personalities. I actually would like some additional mature options for women, though.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I spend a fair bit of time choosing voices for my sims. I rarely ever pick the really high pitched ones though for males or females.
  • Options
    SunStone02SunStone02 Posts: 107 Member
    I really like the alien sim voices...Can I make my human have an alien voice??
    ~SunStone~ <3
    A Sims 4 player and fan!
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    SunStone02 wrote: »

Not that I know of. I like them too.
  • Options
    SunStone02SunStone02 Posts: 107 Member
    SunStone02 wrote: »

Not that I know of. I like them too.

:( Their voices are so unique! I want my simself to sound like an alien. ;)
    ~SunStone~ <3
    A Sims 4 player and fan!
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Not really, I don't remember to change them for the most part
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I love it and
    we we had more. More ptions are always welcome
  • Options
    YammzzYammzz Posts: 25 Member
    I give my female sim a deeper voice like me. I’m not fond of the melodic one, either.
  • Options
    FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    edited March 2019
    I do, which is why I wish we had more voice options.
  • Options
    Arcanine4PresidentArcanine4President Posts: 31 Member
    I pay attention to the voice a lot!
    Normally I go for a middle clear voice, and then edit it according to their style and upbringing.
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited March 2019
    I absolutely pay attention to the voices and adjust them according to the sims personality. I love the voices though I would like a couple more base options. Like a smokey female voice and maybe a clear baritone voice, there is a baritone but Its not deep and resonating.

ETA:
    I've likely used every voice setting, some of my cutie pie sweet sims have higher voices.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    dfstonedfstone Posts: 215 Member
    I really love that voices aren't gender restricted anymore. I love making a beautiful barbie type looking blond girl and giving her a truck driver voice.
  • Options
    mauvejinjomauvejinjo Posts: 126 Member
    edited March 2019
    I tend to favor certain voice styles over others, but they all sound "young" to my ears. Your voice changes as you age, especially in elder years. An age slider in addition to the CAS pitch slider would offer more variety of options.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    mauvejinjo wrote: »
    I tend to favor certain voice styles over others, but they all sound "young" to my ears. Your voice changes as you age, especially in elder years. An age slider in addition to the CAS pitch slider would offer more variety of options.

It's already in the game, Teen start with slightly higher pitch which deepen when they grow into YA, and even more deepen in Elder.

ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't particular like deep voices on my females. Usually I try to get a middle ground between to deep and to high pitched.