Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If there is a 'The Sims 5' what year should it be announced, and what year should it be released?

12345679...Next

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited August 2020
    Announcement 2020 release 2021.
    CK213 wrote: »
    They really should be gearing up for the Sims 5 now, or they may find themselves going head to head with new competition at launch if they stretch The Sims 4 out for another 2 or 3 years. We have Paralives being developed, for which I don't have much confidence, and Pardox Interactive's new game studio.

Paradox Interactive is now up to something because they have Rod Humble (The Sims 2 and 3) heading up a new games studio called Paradox Tectonic. They won't say what the new game is that they are working on, but in an interview they had discussing the new studio and introducing people to Rod Humble, The Sims was mentioned many times. He may or may not be working on a game competitive with the sims, but it has me really interested.

I am throwing more money at Pardox Interactive.
    I have Cities Skylines. I just downloaded Crusader Kings 2 for free, because I am interested in buying Crusader Kings 3 when it comes out this fall, so I can give CK2 a try in order to familiarize myself with the game play.

Crusader Kings is a strategy game that kind of has a tiny bit of a Sims vibe to it because it focuses on Characters instead of just kingdoms. It's what the Sims Medieval was missing because the lack of creating a family dynasty like simmers would play in Royal Kingdom Challenges. EA totally missed the boat with The Sims Medieval, IMO.

So whatever Rod Humble is working on, I have a feeling that I may be buying it if it is related to the life simulation genre in any way.

I agree with everything you said. EA cannot rest and settle on TS4 to carry them through when Paralives And Paradox Tectonic's games come out. I'm looking the most forward to Paradox Tectonic's game too, not only because Rod Humble favors deep gameplay, but also shares that view with Paradox philosophy itself. All their games have that characteristic and is why so many of their games are so successful.

I would like EA to rise to that challenge and come out with aThe Sims 5 that has greater depth in gameplay than what TS4 has been dishing out, and of course more customization of everything including world creation and combining gameplay into other genres.

I would like them to at least announce TS5 later this year and start talking about new features. If it's made with the Unreal Engine 4, then I'm honestly excited about that!

In the meantime, as soon as I get a new computer (was able to get a ticket to fly back home to the US in September, so will most likely get a new gaming laptop in October), I'm just going to keep playing TS3 and write up some tutorials for it.

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I really couldn't say when I think TS5 will be announced and released, but I do honestly think it makes more sense to announce and release it while there is such a large interest in TS4 rather than waiting for TS4 fervor to die out. Because I feel like people still interested in TS4 (or previous games) will stay interested going into TS5. People who lose interest in TS4 may not come back on board for TS5 years down the road. (I guess someone could come along and counter this argument against itself and say 1) people will never lose interest in TS4; 2: people still interested in TS4 wouldn't bother buying TS5. I can only speak for myself as someone interested in TS4 still and am also interested in TS5 -- if TS5 came along within a year's time, I would buy it). This is why I think arguments of "many people still play TS4 and therefore they're not going to release TS5 yet" don't make any sense to me.

I know they're not the same thing, but I can't help but compare this to blockbuster film franchises. When a Marvel movie comes out, there are 2 more Marvel movies ready to go into production while the other is still in theaters. The studios don't wait until people are no longer talking about the film before they decide to start making the other one. They want to keep their audience's attention so they release films in quick session.

Maybe it's different in the gaming world, but if companies know how long it takes to make a game, I would think they would want to start working on it early. And as long as EA keeps TS4 available for purchase then I don't see the harm in having two games out. There wouldn't be anything stopping players from playing the game they want to play.

Great insight and makes perfect sense!

• SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    To be honest I know some players like me which started playing TS4 one year ago or ealier. I started playing TS4 on March for real. Previously I’ve just opened the base game several times. According to that I can belive that community is growing and TS4 has a lot of new players after 6 years. I really doubt that EA will create TS5 soon (if they ever will do that). It is easier and cheaper to create new packs and updates for existing game instead of creating something new.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    I really hope not. Sims 4 is probably one of my favorites (despite the lack of gameplay elements compare to its previous titles) & it’s sad to see how much potential this game has that it’s going to waste . I would rather they expand more on the sims 4 then releasing sims 5 anytime soon. 6 years & this game still feels incomplete. Just imagine once we get sims 5 how much longer we might Have to wait for all these things we barley got now. Not to mention how less content & gameplay we might get with sims 5 expansions. With previous titles we got more for our bucks then what we get now .
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    In 2018 SimGuruGrant stated "he was already in meetings discussing the next three years of content for the current title", since this statement was made in 2018, if you add 3 more years, that means they potentially have new content planned into 2021. Hopefully that means we will get an announcement for TS5 in 2021, but I personally would much rather have a release date of 2021 rather than just an announcement.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    In 2018 SimGuruGrant stated "he was already in meetings discussing the next three years of content for the current title", since this statement was made in 2018, if you add 3 more years, that means they potentially have new content planned into 2021. Hopefully that means we will get an announcement for TS5 in 2021, but I personally would much rather have a release date of 2021 rather than just an announcement.

He also said it had more years left when asked this year in may. He does not work on ts4 currently but i dont think he would answer like that if the game was ending as soon as next year.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Announcement 2021 release 2023.
    Mareah wrote: »

He also said it had more years left when asked this year in may. He does not work on ts4 currently but i dont think he would answer like that if the game was ending as soon as next year.

@Mareah The only twitter post of him that I can find from may is him saying yes to somebody asking if "The Sims 4 has a few more years" and few more years could be like 2 years, I mean you can't know exactly but still I don't think it's as many as people think.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    @SimmerGeorge There is another one responding to someone with "Last I checked, mucho mucho years" So sorry, i dont know how to link tweets but i copied you the text. The tweet he was responding to is deleted now but you can tell this is about the lifespan of ts4 from other tweets people made. Grant said he doesnt work on ts4 currently, do you think he could be working on ts5? If he is then he likely knows how long is left for ts4. I agree with you that few years can be like 2 years or so, so not necessarily that long. Also, this was in may, so maybe he meant to include this year in his estimation, but it usually doesnt work like that so i doubt it. lol!
  • Sim_ArchitectsSim_Architects Posts: 302 Member
    It's fun to see how many people are in a hurry to get a new half baked basegame...

I'm sure they will be the first to wait for The Sims 6 once TS5 will be announced :D

So what? Let people like things .

edited August 2020
    Mareah wrote: »
    @SimmerGeorge There is another one responding to someone with "Last I checked, mucho mucho years" So sorry, i dont know how to link tweets but i copied you the text. The tweet he was responding to is deleted now but you can tell this is about the lifespan of ts4 from other tweets people made. Grant said he doesnt work on ts4 currently, do you think he could be working on ts5? If he is then he likely knows how long is left for ts4. I agree with you that few years can be like 2 years or so, so not necessarily that long. Also, this was in may, so maybe he meant to include this year in his estimation, but it usually doesnt work like that so i doubt it. lol!

@Mareah I have no idea what he could be working on but I guess sooner or later he will join in with The Sims 5 production team. I think he was important to the Sims 4 and this is why he didn't switch over earlier but I guess once they needed more manpower for the sims 5 they called him in.
    I could be completely wrong though :lol:
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited February 2021
    It seems nothing will be announced in 2021 and 2022.
    edited March 2021
    Inside Maxis livestream : "Many years" for The Sims 4 !

We saw what happened for Anthem (Development from 2012 to 2021) and Cyberpunk 2077 (2008 - Still under development).

If The Sims 5 development started in 2017, it could come in 2027 or later.
    Inside Maxis livestream : "Many years" for The Sims 4 !

We saw what happened for Anthem (Development from 2012 to 2021) and Cyberpunk 2077 (2008 - Still under development).

If The Sims 5 development started in 2017, it could come in 2027 or later.

@LeGardePourpre Or it could come tomorrow if we see it this way. The games you mentioned were exceptions in the huge pool of games that don't need 10 years to be developed.
    edited March 2021