Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It seems like we won't have a baby update...

Comments

• 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited March 2019
    Well, now I'm not sure how much interest I'll be having in this game for much longer. Babies need more than any other life stage, but the team seems to make it clear that they have no desire to give them any sort of improvements. It's honestly sad that family players are so grossly neglected to the point that we can't even have babies as actual living beings.

I think the Elders need more love then babies at this point. They're around a lot longer then babies and can actually do things like have hobbies and such dedicated more to them. It's sad to me that so many (I said MANY not ALL) Family Players go on and on about freeing the babies but don't ever mention elders needing more love too...
    ~ ~ ~
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    3KNPen wrote: »
    Well, now I'm not sure how much interest I'll be having in this game for much longer. Babies need more than any other life stage, but the team seems to make it clear that they have no desire to give them any sort of improvements. It's honestly sad that family players are so grossly neglected to the point that we can't even have babies as actual living beings.

I think the Elders need more love then babies at this point. They're around a lot longer then babies and can actually do things like have hobbies and such dedicated more to them. It's sad to me that so many (I said MANY not ALL) Family Players go on and on about freeing the babies but don't ever mention elders needing more love too...

I definitely want better babies too, but if I had to choose then I would take better elders. When I play I don't feel a difference between Young Adult, Adult and Elder. They only seem to look different and that's it.
    TS3 had rocking chairs and walking canes which would be a good start, but I think there are many possibilities to make them more distinct.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I am highly okay with this possibility.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    There's a lot of potential for the babies, albeit mostly for immersive purposes. Like, you could take them for walks on the town in a stroller/papoose, trap them in a baby jumper, or set them on the floor and teach them to crawl, arrange hospital visits for them if they get sick (which would presumably happen if you leave them outside during a snowstorm), or take baby photos. Talking to them and teaching them to crawl could help with their development skills, and they could learn faster than toddlers to make up for their short lifespans.

It doesn't sound like much, but I think these would go a long way towards making babies feel like they're part of the family.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Fine with me. I hate the baby stage anyway.
  • ANNETTE1951ANNETTE1951 Posts: 520 Member
    Why are people obsessed with getting an update for literally the most boring life stage in the game? Okay, we remove babies from their bassinets, then what? They'll have the same exact functions as before, except now they'll be able to be moved around... yay, I guess? I mean, Sims 4 babies are literally the same as they've always been in previous games... the only difference is that they can't be removed from the bassinet.

Most players just age babies up within a few days anyway, so why is getting an update for them such a big deal?

I wouldn't say I am obsessed with getting them changed, but I would like it. The babies how they are though are still one of my very favorite life stages to play. I usually don't age a long long time because I always play families with lots of kids and I love having the parents taking care of babies. I'm not really expecting an update, so I wouldn't be disappointed if we don't and I think they are fine how they are now, but if they did update it I would also be very very happy because as fine as they are they could be a hundred times better

Very well put and such a lovely way of expressing your appreciation for infants. Totally agree.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,544 Member
    edited March 2019
    Why are people obsessed with getting an update for literally the most boring life stage in the game? Okay, we remove babies from their bassinets, then what? They'll have the same exact functions as before, except now they'll be able to be moved around... yay, I guess? I mean, Sims 4 babies are literally the same as they've always been in previous games... the only difference is that they can't be removed from the bassinet.

Most players just age babies up within a few days anyway, so why is getting an update for them such a big deal?

No, they're not the same as the babies in Sims2. At least, besides the baby being untethered to a bassinet, you could have your Sims bathe the baby in the sink. They could be placed upon the floor, which caused too many obviously to pitch a fit over that, when in RL placing a baby on the floor (generally on a blanket) is a good way for them to commence crawling. Sims could pass the baby to another Sim, too, which was handy. They could also play with the baby. It was incredibly funny if a Sim were to play with the baby too soon after a feeding. Baby would often erp (my word for spit-up) all over the Sim who had all but tossed the wee one into the air. To be clear, the Sim doing the playing would hold the infant over their head and wiggle the baby a bit (nothing remotely violent). That Sim would immediately need a shower, by the way. It was hilarious. Also, Sims would gain relationship with the baby doing these things.

So, suggesting these tethered babies are even remotely like every other baby in the Sims series, is sadly inaccurate. No, they're more like the dumbed-down version they gave us in Sims3. I was never one to leave the infant in their crib in Sims2. However, I did it way more often than I care to admit in Sims3. Now, I don't have a choice. EA has made the babies boring.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad if the babies don't get an update!!! And to everyone saying that we don't need one because they're boring: Everyone has a different play style and some are really family orientated.

I thought it was good news that Lindsay wants to see babies updated - it's just not on the table right now. As she notes, there is a lot of free stuff they'd like to add, but they can't do it all at once. (And a baby update would really have to be free, not part of a pack, since it would change a whole life stage.) I'm happy to hear that we've got Lindsay in our corner.

Personally, I can't understand why people want cars or an island paradise(more candy for the YT life stage) . I can't imagine anything more boring than watching my Sims get into a car that teleports off the lot or swimming in the ocean.

I do enjoy the babies, even as they are now, but I'd be thrilled to have more things to do with them. If we could do more with babies, I'd probably turn off aging to play that life stage longer, so arguing that 'it's such a short life stage' isn't fair. It's short because the options are so limited.

Really? You can't?

Car woohoo, listening the car radio, travelling in a car with pets and toddlers, driving to community lots, mechanic npc to get cars fixed when they break down, getting a drivers license, garages and driveways etc.

Beaches, ocean swimming, surfing, making sand castles, collecting seashells, scuba diving and snorkelling.

Right, For Cars, It just makes sense, because we have Rocket ships, that sims can build.
    So I think it would be cool if we had Vehicles, that could travel the worlds. it can come with an automotive skill, where sims can build cars, motorcycles and such and upgrade them. if not just take a spin. even if it's just extra animation for just getting in the car and driving out of the neighborhood for school or work.

For Beaches, I personally don't want an Island Tropical Paradise, Just a simple everyday beach coastal/port city will do. like Brindleton Bay could have been that world, y'know?
    I propose a nice little cove. It could even be a large Lake, I've always wanted a lake side home, in a secluded forest or community.
    Woohoo on the beach, on the shore, in the waves. it's amazing I recommend it. B)
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    In 2, it was fun to raise kids from baby, to toddler, to kid, to teen.

In 3, no. It was awful. Tods were a routing mess with stairs and their tantrums were ugliness epitomized.

In 4? It's just boring.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    Interesting interview. Towards the end when Lyndsay is speaking about what she sees or thinks about as far as the future for the sims she speaks about connecting players? She didn’t really elaborate but it sounded to me like maybe she was thinking about an online option? Or multiplayer option? Gawd, I hope not.

Oh they are trying I am sure. EA's mission is to have all games to be online in some form. I know a lot of people are looking forward to Sims 5 but I am 90% sure it will be online or have some online option.

I could be wrong but I thought most people would not want some outsider messing around in their sim world. If they do it, I don't know how they will keep it teen rating. If they don't have online watchers, they are running the risk of kids running into unsavory characters. I don't think it is a good idea.

Anyway, if they go this route, I am done. Win win for me because this is the last EA game I am buying any new games for. The company is putting out crap and I tolerate this game because I have been playing it since Sims 1 and I am addicted. I am more selective in the content I buy for this game and willing to wait for sales. It is sad I am looking forward to a modder's latest announcement more than Strangerville. I feel like I am getting a new game pack from his latest announcement and a big reason why I still even play sims 4..LOL
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad if the babies don't get an update!!! And to everyone saying that we don't need one because they're boring: Everyone has a different play style and some are really family orientated.

I thought it was good news that Lindsay wants to see babies updated - it's just not on the table right now. As she notes, there is a lot of free stuff they'd like to add, but they can't do it all at once. (And a baby update would really have to be free, not part of a pack, since it would change a whole life stage.) I'm happy to hear that we've got Lindsay in our corner.

Personally, I can't understand why people want cars or an island paradise(more candy for the YT life stage) . I can't imagine anything more boring than watching my Sims get into a car that teleports off the lot or swimming in the ocean.

I do enjoy the babies, even as they are now, but I'd be thrilled to have more things to do with them. If we could do more with babies, I'd probably turn off aging to play that life stage longer, so arguing that 'it's such a short life stage' isn't fair. It's short because the options are so limited.

Really? You can't?

Car woohoo, listening the car radio, travelling in a car with pets and toddlers, driving to community lots, mechanic npc to get cars fixed when they break down, getting a drivers license, garages and driveways etc.

Beaches, ocean swimming, surfing, making sand castles, collecting seashells, scuba diving and snorkelling.

Yawn :) I'm a bit too old to get excited about new places to woohoo (I was horrified when my Sims decided to use their teenage daughter's bed). You're not going to travel in the car anywhere - no open world, nowhere to go. Instead of your Sims disappearing off the edge of the lot, the car would disappear. (I actually hated the zooming cars in Sims 3, anyhow. My Sims were only allowed to have bicycles.)

Seashells would be fun - that's probably the only reason I'd buy an island paradise pack, for the collectibles. I'm not much of a beach person - Granite Falls is more my style.
    I just want things to match. :'(
    keekee53 wrote: »
    JoBass24us wrote: »
    Interesting interview. Towards the end when Lyndsay is speaking about what she sees or thinks about as far as the future for the sims she speaks about connecting players? She didn’t really elaborate but it sounded to me like maybe she was thinking about an online option? Or multiplayer option? Gawd, I hope not.

Oh they are trying I am sure. EA's mission is to have all games to be online in some form. I know a lot of people are looking forward to Sims 5 but I am 90% sure it will be online or have some online option.

I could be wrong but I thought most people would not want some outsider messing around in their sim world. If they do it, I don't know how they will keep it teen rating. If they don't have online watchers, they are running the risk of kids running into unsavory characters. I don't think it is a good idea.

Anyway, if they go this route, I am done. Win win for me because this is the last EA game I am buying any new games for. The company is putting out plum and I tolerate this game because I have been playing it since Sims 1 and I am addicted. I am more selective in the content I buy for this game and willing to wait for sales. It is sad I am looking forward to a modder's latest announcement more than Strangerville. I feel like I am getting a new game pack from his latest announcement and a big reason why I still even play sims 4..LOL

In so many ways, I am right there with you. I got really selective with my purchases in Sims3. The game itself wreaked havoc on my gaming rig, and I mostly only bought the EPs trying to get back certain interactions that were missing. I ended up modding that game to the hilt, thanks to Twallen and his NRaas, Industries just to get it playable.

So far, I've bought everything for Sims4, with the exception of vampires (so not into the supernatural) and that additional pet pack.

I'm way into mods, myself: MCCC, Road to Fame to augment GF (I have a singer Sim again, yay!). But I was a long hold out on Sims4 when it was first introduced as an online game. I've played a couple of those. WoW and a Star Trek one. Not too keen on having to pay a monthly fee just to have some fun. There has been days on end when I don't play a game. Too busy with my genealogy or my writing. Why pay a fee for a whole month when you're not playing every day? Besides, I don't want anyone else 'messing' with my Sims. LOL Bad enough some other player decided to kill my gnome in what was supposed to be 'friendly' territory in WoW. Yeah, I'm still mad about that. So, I'm just not into the online gaming thing at all.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    fullspiral wrote: »
    In 2, it was fun to raise kids from baby, to toddler, to kid, to teen.

In 3, no. It was awful. Tods were a routing mess with stairs and their tantrums were ugliness epitomized.

In 4? It's just boring.

Not if you have Parenthood.
  • sb2828sb2828 Posts: 4 New Member
    I’m sorry but this is kinda off topic but, my games lighting is completely off, whether it’s daytime or morning my lights don’t work, my house isn’t bright and the interior walls have the outdoor shading, making them now not bright. I’ve always watched sims 4 you-tubers for a while now and just got the sims 4, and they don’t seem to have the same problem as me on there games with the lighting. If anybody would please direct me somehow on how to fix this it would be much appreciated!

Anyways, personally I wouldn’t buy the pack where there is babies stuff (if it’s a pack), personally I kinda think babies are boring, and I age them up really quickly. And would rather have the game developers make like a farming pack or add like horses or something
  • emilymsimsemilymsims Posts: 398 Member
    To me this was definitely not a hard “no”. Free babies !!!! Also when is this video from?
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    emilymsims wrote: »
    To me this was definitely not a hard “no”. Free babies !!!! Also when is this video from?

The Sims Supply was at the EA studios a few weeks ago and did a bunch of videos. He played Strangerville with SimGuruRomeo and interviewed SimGuruLyndsay.
  • masuloimasuloi Posts: 66 Member
    @Lustianicia Finally, someone said it. I mean the baby stage isn't that bad. There's just nothing really too big about it.
    88e00f9777fc8e9e0e1a609abcd94289.gif
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Babies def. need work but TEENS seriously.... are exactly the same as YA. So disappointing
  • PaintedSimPaintedSim Posts: 2 New Member
    I do miss baby options. I'd love to see them bring a new update that included the ability to rock and feed the baby, place it in a bouncer or play mat, walk in a stroller on community lots, bathe in the sink, etc.
  • munroelemunroele Posts: 286 Member

Really? You can't?

I personally cannot drive, so this kind of thing with cars just doesn't interest me, and so many don't demand it either. While new woohoo locations are always fun, I'd personally use the shower more, thats a more classic spot, from what I hear :wink:

Beaches, sure, but there are always people who don't care for 'big' things, like better babies, cars, 'generations', more stuff like strangerville, preteens or height sliders for me. I get why some people want them, but I just don't.
    I want more occults, turn ons/off, favourite food, colour and music type, an overhaul of personalities and traits, nerdy collectibles (along with a nerdy aspiration with things like collecting something not relate to nature, stan a celebrity, watch a season premiere and things like that), pet dragons, disabilities and theme parks. But I know others hate occults, and dont see the point, just like I don't see the point in cars :)
  • MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    Babies are fine (not great, but fine) and too late to fix anyways. They've already made them into objects. They would have to change just about everything to make them anything more. And why would they waste resources changing them when they could use them making new things that they can make money off of? It just isn't practical from a buisness standpoint.
    Babies are the shortest lifespan, anyways. Many just age them up within the first day. I'd rather that they spend time updating a more practical lifestage like Elders than waste time completely redoing (which they would have to do to meet player demands) a ligestage that is only around for half a second anyways.
    The most I think you can hope for is better babies in the eventual Sims 5
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited March 2019
    Babies are fine (not great, but fine) and too late to fix anyways. They've already made them into objects. They would have to change just about everything to make them anything more. And why would they waste resources changing them when they could use them making new things that they can make money off of? It just isn't practical from a buisness standpoint.
    Babies are the shortest lifespan, anyways. Many just age them up within the first day. I'd rather that they spend time updating a more practical lifestage like Elders than waste time completely redoing (which they would have to do to meet player demands) a ligestage that is only around for half a second anyways.
    The most I think you can hope for is better babies in the eventual Sims 5

I get the point and I agree.

Simply making babies not bound to bassinets anymore will not make them more entertaining imo. If they keep the babies like they are except you can carry them around will not do them any justice in my opinion.

It will be a real good thing and improvement if they overhaul the baby stage completely, heck even update the baby models and add things to do with them. Making them real sims.

I don't know if they will ever going to take it that far. If they just unbind them from the bassinet it's not enough for me to enjoy them more.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Didn't hear a no for the players. Pretty sure the guru's/designers have their doubts on certain content much like strangerville when grant mentioned it in the maxis monthly with being skeptical. Grant mentioned a year or so back on twitter that babies were on their list of things to look at.

Babies in every iteration is the shortest and most boring life stage to me, but hey if they can update them I'll take it either way. I always end up letting my sim autonomously take care of them.

I've been keeping the babies as babies for longer since Parenthood -- it's a relatively easy way to build Parenthood skill, especially when you're just starting out -- you can get up to level 3 or 4 without cheats before you age them to toddler, which gives a great start before the children age up (you can give time outs at level 3 or 4, for example). And I have time to balance out where both parents get Parenthood skills.

I'm still not sure how a baby update would work if a player has existing saves with current babies, and if a baby update would break those saves, or if they'd have to announce the patch and warn players to age up all babies in game prior to the patch to avoid problems. I'm personally fine with the current babies so I'm a bit meh on the idea, but I can see where others want the further interactions that could come with that age stage (bathing, dressing, visiting the grandparents etc.) so I won't begrudge anyone their desires.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited March 2019
    I would love a baby update.....I play with aging off most of the time so would love babies being untied from the bassinet.... give them a changing table, make them be able to change clothes. Make it so sims can put them on a blanket on the floor, lay them on a couch, feed them on a couch, play with them with different rattles and toys, and give us a rocking chair to feed and rock them. A swing, a bouncer, and a stroller or buggy would be nice too. And it would be great if we could take them places with us.
    And, I would love a stuff pack for elders and teens as well.