Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

Comments

• divanthesimmerdivanthesimmer Posts: 1,462 Member
    Qnshr5 wrote: »
    Qnshr5 wrote: »
    Awesome stories everyone! I was wondering, is anyone participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month)? I am. If so, buddy me! My username is arnis1

How would that work? Not sure I'll be able to participate, but I'm just interested in learning what exactly it entails.

Nanowrimo is an event that takes place every November where people around the world try to write a 50,000 word novel in a month (Nov 1-30). You're just writing the rough draft. I've been doing it since 2007 and rarely reach my goal, but I love the challenge and have fun. Now you can set your own goal. Since it's 11 days in, you might not want to try for 50,000 and can pick another number like 30,000 or 20,000 as your goal. It doesn't have to be a novel either. Some people write non-fiction, poetry or short stories. It's about getting yourself disciplined and being creative (and not being a perfectionist). There's a community online and locally in many areas. You can get more information: nanowrimo.org And there's always next year to participate.

Thank you for the reply. It does sound interesting (and fun)!
    phULnBI.png
    Check out my SimLit blog here: https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/
    Follow me on Twitter @divanthesimmer
    Follow me on Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/dashboard/blog/divanthesimmer
    Origin ID: divanthesimmer
  • lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,280 Member
    November's entry is up!

November: Blood and Water
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    Voted! I have to say, I was excited to see what people did with this theme and loved all the different interpretations!

So this time around, I tried to draw in some new voters by writing an accessible story for people unfamiliar with SimLit, and promoting it just... fell flat. Multiple times. But I want you all to know there's something worth sharing here---SimLit has so much honesty and vulnerability that I have trouble finding anywhere else, plus amazing representation, and the community is something special---and that your work is worth appreciating even if you don't get as many eyes on it as you would like. Oh well, I'll keep trying to do my part.

Awesome! Don't get discouraged on sharing .. sometimes they do not open the door on the first knock ... but in my experience, they do come around in time. Like with all things the human memory is short and we keep reminding them we are there. I have very few readers who write simlit (even tho I fully support many by reading their work .. I do admit that gets a bit old but I have to be able to live with myself and do right even if others are not compelled to do the same) and the only way I got my readership was knocking on their door every month .. and that is ANY DOOR (big and small) that I can reach with my door knocking paw! It is a lot of work but pays off (it is who those who write books & novels do it - shows and tours and yaking it up whenever they can. If you believe in your story they will come.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    Wow, what an honor! I'm proud of this month's submission, so it warms my heart to see other people enjoyed it as well :) And congratulations to @Cement, @Qnshr5, @sharra1978, @divanthesimmer, and @MenaBuchner! And everyone who participated and put themselves out there! Really though, this means a lot to this less well-known veteran. Y'all keep me going.

Has no one posted an entry for this month's challenge yet? The restriction to first person is a great idea for a challenge. I have the outline, but got used to being a Lemony Narrator in my main story; it might take a sec to turn the sass off.

LOL keep the sass .. it is aways great.

BTW I heard that you will be interviewed by Kymber on Booomcha.com .. be sure to share the link with us when it is published <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    @lillibattenberg Props to having the time management skills to complete your entry for this month! I'd be impressed even if your story wasn't as sweet as it turned out to be.

@lisabee2 Yeah, Kymber's a real ball of sunshine/pillar of the community, isn't she? (I'm far behind on her story. Far behind.) Since you asked,

Featured Author: An Interview with Dolly Llama

As for readership, I've accepted that my story is long, and dense, and bleak, and emotional, and involved, and no one's going to start reading unless they have a very good reason to do so. That's okay! Plenty of shorter excerpts stand on their own; I'm having a blast sharing those on tumblr. But yeah, I'm also guilty of not reading as much as I should. Many stories are written in genres I actively avoid but I'm slowly learning to branch out and appreciate everyone's voice for what it is. Like, one of my current favorites is a romance with a vampire, and I'm in the middle of a decade-long mainstream media vampire boycott.

Sorry to have to duck out of the contest this month. My story was going to be about chosen families, which @lillibattenberg represented beautifully already, so no regrets.
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
    Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
    @lillibattenberg Props to having the time management skills to complete your entry for this month! I'd be impressed even if your story wasn't as sweet as it turned out to be.

[...]

Sorry to have to duck out of the contest this month. My story was going to be about chosen families, which @lillibattenberg represented beautifully already, so no regrets.

(blushes) Thank you @Dollyllama108! And as much as I'll miss your work this month, there's no pressure :)
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    edited November 2019
    Just sliding in with my entry. Not a lot of time this month even less today but I wanted to get something down before the deadline. I'm real rushed so please excuse any errors.
    Here is my entry;
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

@lisabee2, how many entries do we have so far this month? I'm just wondering if we should extend the deadline through December, especially since family's a fantastic theme for the entire holiday season :)
    Jacob_Banner.png
    Hey, everyone! Here's my entry for this month:

https://ageekylegacy.wordpress.com/2019/12/01/this-is-family/
    phULnBI.png
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited December 2019
    Really sneaking in under the wire here. So, I don't actually know if this is eligible or not. The fic is something I had written (and published online) before, now dusted off, tweaked a bit, and enhanced with Sim pics. The screenshots were all new and taken this month:

http://www.fanfiction.katrinasforest.com/2019/11/30/pidgin/

If I'm able to take part in the contest, awesome. If not, I hope everyone enjoys reading it all the same. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 465 Member
    @katrinasforest you're well within the time limit. The contest doesn't end for another 5 hours.
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 465 Member
    I'm halfway through my screenshots and I'm not going to make it. Things got too busy these last couple weeks. So, good luck to everyone who submitted a story!
    7YZVoCi.png
    edited December 2019
    @lisabee2, how many entries do we have so far this month? I'm just wondering if we should extend the deadline through December, especially since family's a fantastic theme for the entire holiday season :)

I love your idea and I sincerely hope no one would be hurt if I did just that .. right now we have 4 FAB FAB stories in contention ... but it sure would be nice to have more

If there is anyone who seriously objects to extending this thru dec let me know (I promise NOT to get upset at all) and I will gladly put the three up for a vote

(It has been such a crazy month for me too .. I did not get much written this month at all)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    ALSO if you have something submitted and you want to work on it feel free .. we will not consider it final until midnight Dec 31 ...
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    IF all are in agreement with the extension I will go ahead and restructure the blog and repromo (that is prog not a word lol but you get it) it on social media
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    IF all are in agreement with the extension I will go ahead and restructure the blog and repromo (that is prog not a word lol but you get it) it on social media

It's totally fine with me - let's give everyone a fair chance to submit a story. I'm really looking forward to all the stories everyone comes up with!
    phULnBI.png
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited December 2019
    No objections. Odds are I would not have been able to participate in a separate December theme, so now it's like I'm done early. :)

Just wish I would have thought to suggest this earlier when I was trying to take screencaps while my friends were hanging out playing Untitled Goose Game. ^_^;;
    Post edited by katrinasforest on
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    TY you two .. will wait for a weigh-in from the rest
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • CharliimaiCharliimai Posts: 1,773 Member
    I'm fine with it too @lisabee2
    cSXsPD.jpg

Read my Legacy story's or atttempt one of my Sims 4 challenges.
    Charlii Mai's Blogs and Challenges

Read All of my Latest stories all in one place.
    RainbowPlumbob (Wordpress)

More than fine with it. I wanna see everyone's stories!
    Jacob_Banner.png
    OK we will go with it then .. four of you are way ahead of the game .... <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    OH yes please. I'd love to have more time to work on this. I keep forgetting to enter this...
    It's great having extra time to edit! Got it to exactly 1000 words :sweat_smile:
    Jacob_Banner.png
    I am looking forward to the stories
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member
    Is it too late for me to participate for Dec? I don't care about judging or anything, I just want to use this to motivate me to write more simlit ^~^
    ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
    ntlW6ly.png