March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge

lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
The announcement and first info:

Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge: Announcement and Info

8LBnqSj.jpg

General Guidelines:

Please note that I have changed the blogging format for the challenge.

It is now all in an easy to find “One-stop shopping” Update.

Part 1 of this blog will present the upcoming monthly theme, banner links and challenge specifics for the month.

Part 2 will contain links to the previous month’s submissions and a link to vote in each category (veteran or novice). After the vote closes an update to this blog post will be made to announce the winners in each category.

New "theme" is announced on the 1st of every month. - Check the 2nd post for the current theme and the monthly details or any special rules/exceptions each month.

Submissions must be in the form of a "short story".

You have the whole month to write and submit your short story.

You can write your submission on your blog or on a forum thread.

To enter just post a message to this thread with a link to your submission for that month.

You can use any Sims from any and all Sims games for these challenges even if you already use them in another story.

You may write more than one story each month, but you must select only one for submission into the challenge. If you do write more than one, then the one(s) you don't pick for the competition can be entered into the Just For Fun section.

At the end of the month, we will all vote to pick a winner for that month. Voting will be open for 7 days after the end of each month. (The link to vote will be posted each time.)

YOU ARE ALLOWED - even encouraged to let their readers know that you are participating in the challenge ...

(Growing our skills AND our community IS the POINT of all of this)

BUT here is the caveat, your readers MUST read all entries and vote in accordance with instructions.  This instruction must be CLEARLY stated by YOU, the participant when your readers are informed.

Readers will be asked to vote for their top 3 choices in both categories (6 votes total).

Any vote received that does not contain 3 votes for each category will be thrown out.

Any questions please ask!

OTHER LINKS:

There is a FACEBOOK page for this challenge:

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge FaceBook Page

Blog Info posts:

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge Table of Contents

A link to our Twitter - MonthlySSSC

An invite to our Discord - Discord invite
(If that invite does not work let me know)

A personal note:

I am very excited to be involved with this and I sincerely hope that this will help bring Simlit down from the attic (where we store all our antiques) and out into the mainstream sims community (we have been cloistered away for too long).

I believe in mentoring new wordsmiths.

I believe in supporting experienced scribblers.

Most of all I believe in SimLit (reading is GOOD).

Getting top 3 is awesome BUT when Simlit wins we all do.

I will work hard but understand that the "job" of growing the community belongs to all of us!
SebEwnF.jpg
LisabeeSims
New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
#EAgamechanger
Post edited by lisabee2 on

Comments

• lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    edited February 2020
    nLQsVri.jpg

After October. please note that I have changed the blogging format for the challenge.

It is now all in an easy to find the current month theme and prior month submissions for vote in a “One-stop shopping” Update.

October 2019 Challenge Theme -Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge: October 2019 Theme & September 2019 Submissions w/ Vote

September 2019 Challenge Theme -Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge: September 2019 Theme & August 2019 Submissions w/ Vote

August 2019 Challenge Theme -Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge: August 2019 Theme

July 2019 Challenge Theme - Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge: July 2019 Theme
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    edited February 2020
    Saved

SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    edited August 2019
    8HfHvDL.jpg

✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮
    Archives
    ✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮

Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenge

Simmer resources by social media type <3

✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮
    Twitter
    ✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮

Lisabeesims1

divanthesimmer

✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮
    FB pages
    ✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮

Lisabeesims

Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge Home

DivantheSimmer

✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮
    "Sims"tagram
    ✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮

Lisabeesims

✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮
    Tumblr
    ✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮

Lisabee2

divanthesimmer

✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮
    blog
    ✮✮✮✮✮ ❤ ✮✮✮✮✮

lisabeesims.com @lisabee2

ageekylegacy.wordpress.com @divanthesimmer
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,087 Member
    I'm excited that you're taking over the helm of the Monthly Short Story challenge, @lisabee2 ! @Pegasus143 and her partners did a great job with it, after @Carewren123 handed it over to them, and now, it's so neat that they've passed it onto you!

I will be sure to keep up with the entries, and I hope to be a regular participant, too! Thanks again for taking charge with it!

Hope we get a lot of writers and readers taking part!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »
    I'm excited that you're taking over the helm of the Monthly Short Story challenge, @lisabee2 ! @Pegasus143 and her partners did a great job with it, after @Carewren123 handed it over to them, and now, it's so neat that they've passed it onto you!

I will be sure to keep up with the entries, and I hope to be a regular participant, too! Thanks again for taking charge with it!

Hope we get a lot of writers and readers taking part!

I am giving it a good try!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • NhimSimNhimSim Posts: 316 Member

Thank You for taking over so this great challenge and tradition can live on!
    I'll be honest - I never participated and never read many of the previous challenge-stories (I guess I never really frequented these forums much in the past) but I'll try to do better in the future!
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    I'm so happy to see this continuing!!! I may have only been a sporadic participant, but I always enjoyed the challenge when I did enter and I hope that I can enter a few here and there with you in charge, Lisabee! :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Keep the tradition alive! Even if I haven't participated in...two years (oh god)

If you want a suggestion for something that the other two iterations of the short story contest sadly never fulfilled: making satellite threads in the other Creative Corner sections for other sims games. It's always been a contest that allows for stories told with any sims game and getting the word out elsewhere means more participants and more fun! Obviously you'd still be running one contest.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    WOOT! Like others, I haven't participated much in the past but am very excited to see this continue! Even more excited about the wider audience it will reach!
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
    InfraGreen wrote: »
    Keep the tradition alive! Even if I haven't participated in...two years (oh god)

If you want a suggestion for something that the other two iterations of the short story contest sadly never fulfilled: making satellite threads in the other Creative Corner sections for other sims games. It's always been a contest that allows for stories told with any sims game and getting the word out elsewhere means more participants and more fun! Obviously you'd still be running one contest.

This is a fantastic suggestion, Trip! We've always tried to include everyone, but due to some of the limiting factors of the categories of the forums, we've never completely succeeded in spreading the news about the challenge much outside of our own groups.

Trip's idea to have threads in the other areas of the forums
    (TS2, TS3, Medieval ) would help solve that! You could link to this main thread and just remember to pop in once a month or so at those threads to remind and invite folks to swing by here!

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    I am excited to include all Sims games and for the enterprising simmer who might use Sims 1 will def get a nostalgic nod from me ... I love all the sims games and this is for everyone
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    I am a total novice in the forum ... this is my first thread and I am totally unsure of how to do this
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    edited March 2019
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    I am a total novice in the forum ... this is my first thread and I am totally unsure of how to do this

@InfraGreen - will you share with @lisabee2 the links to the areas of the forum where you suggest Lisa create the satellite threads?

Then, what you'd do is to go to those places and create threads like this one, that link here, saying something like, "We invite you to participate in our Monthly SimLit Short Story Challenge. For more information, please see our main thread!" and you'd link to this thread, https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956705/

Then, each month, you could post a reminder in those threads: "We're getting ready for the monthly challenge! Come to our main thread to see the topic!" or something like that!

• FaoiltearnaFaoiltearna Posts: 767 Member
    Zonino! This looks like fun, if not just a little intimidating. :smiley: Hopefully this will help me get over my writer's block with The Underwood Decision. I've got other stories on the back burner waiting for me to move forward with the Underwood's but I might just need to let the one story simmer so I can get the others out to see the light of day.
  • MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Zonino! This looks like fun, if not just a little intimidating. :smiley: Hopefully this will help me get over my writer's block with The Underwood Decision. I've got other stories on the back burner waiting for me to move forward with the Underwood's but I might just need to let the one story simmer so I can get the others out to see the light of day.

It IS fun! I've shared some really fun stories across the two previous iterations of this challenge. Many of them taking me out of my comfort zone by trying a new style, so I think it could do wonders for writer's block :)
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)

One thing I would recommend for "older" stories is to write a synopsis that will bring new readers up to the present. It really helped when I did one .. also I did a revamp of gen 2 and now my stories can be enjoyed without knowing the past.
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger

It IS fun! I've shared some really fun stories across the two previous iterations of this challenge. Many of them taking me out of my comfort zone by trying a new style, so I think it could do wonders for writer's block :)

for me as well <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
    TY TY I would love the links
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • ArtdefinesSimmerArtdefinesSimmer Posts: 9 New Member
    Wishing you luck and courage in this endeavor to you and all writers. I would love to try and participate but who knows how much time my toddler will allow me. Turns out you can't just tell them to play with one toy for hours until they pass out >.<
    OHH @ArtdefinesSimmer I fully understand that .. I am the grandma of 4 and very involved in their lives ... they are always busy little bees (and the hive is usually a mess) <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger
  • Cosmic7MermaidCosmic7Mermaid Posts: 2 New Member
    Yay! Definitely looking forward to participating in this! Thanks💜

Hi, @lisabee2 ! I poked around the Forums a bit today, and here are two places where it would be great to set up the satellite threads:

TS3 Creative Corner > Stories and Legacies at https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/stories-and-legacies

and...

TS2 Creative Corner at https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-2-creative-corner

@InfraGreen If there were any additional places you'd recommend, will you let Lisa know and share the links to them so she can find them easily?

Thank you!

• InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    edited March 2019
    @CathyTea @lisabee2 that looks good (and thanks for linking when I was busy). I checked if Sims Medieval has a creative corner and they do not, and few if any of the posts on its one board are about storytelling. But allowing TSM entries is still perfectly fine and shouldn't be an issue at all.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
    CathyTea wrote: »

Hi, @lisabee2 ! I poked around the Forums a bit today, and here are two places where it would be great to set up the satellite threads:

TS3 Creative Corner > Stories and Legacies at https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/stories-and-legacies

and...

TS2 Creative Corner at https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-2-creative-corner

@InfraGreen If there were any additional places you'd recommend, will you let Lisa know and share the links to them so she can find them easily?

Thank you!

TY CT .. I will do that later today <3
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    #EAgamechanger