Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do people get so angry about new Sims 4 content?

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I think a lot of it is disappointment that it's not a particular pack that the player is waiting for -- be it witches, university, beach vacation or what have you.

For me, a particular theme might not interest me but I'm a completionist so I want every pack -- plus I like to get builds and Sims off the Gallery and it helps to have as much content as possible. For me, I've learned how to make lemonades out of the occasional "lemon" - with StrangerVille I got it more for the new world, the Military career and the new objects/CAS; the storyline is just a side note. My First Pet is actually a cute pack and I like that children can do the daily homework by studying the rodent -- more active options like that for homework please! I've used Luxury Party Stuff to make some nice wedding venues.

One thing people should remember when they say "no one asked for this" is that unless you know the entire community inside and out, that's a bit of an exaggeration. The devs get suggestions and request from many sources: not just these Forums but Twitter, Facebook, fansites (especially non-US sites); what would be boring to US players might be top of the list internationally, and The Sims caters to an international audience. The Chinese/Asian New Year items, for example, can be used by players to celebrate their own heritage, just like we got the Diwali content in a holiday pack. (I'm still waiting for potato latkes to come in a Hanukkah update -- I'm not Jewish but latkes are the bomb if cooked properly.) And people are continuously asking for new concepts, not just the same old same old.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I have to say, as an occult player, I've never seen people ever be so hostile toward non-realistic gameplay ideas. It really makes me frustrated since we've gotten so many packs dedicated to realism over the last few years. The last occult we got was vampires... in 2017. Isn't it about time they do something unrealistic?

Totally agreed. Some people seem to forget that occult things have always been in the Sims. Of course it's an expectation at this point! We've been more than patient.

And thus people get angry because they feel they have the "right" to get the exact same pack again for the fourth time.

(Also, an occult pack would be the first pack of Sims 4 I won't buy, but that's beside the point. People can't both demand "creativity" from the Sims team AND be saying things like "Occult Sims has always been part of Sims and we should get such pack!")
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I have to say, as an occult player, I've never seen people ever be so hostile toward non-realistic gameplay ideas. It really makes me frustrated since we've gotten so many packs dedicated to realism over the last few years. The last occult we got was vampires... in 2017. Isn't it about time they do something unrealistic?

Totally agreed. Some people seem to forget that occult things have always been in the Sims. Of course it's an expectation at this point! We've been more than patient.

And thus people get angry because they feel they have the "right" to get the exact same pack again for the fourth time.

(Also, an occult pack would be the first pack of Sims 4 I won't buy, but that's beside the point. People can't both demand "creativity" from the Sims team AND be saying things like "Occult Sims has always been part of Sims and we should get such pack!")

yes they can just like you can ask for things you like but no I don't think people should be mad because this was not the pack they wanted
    they will likely get there pack
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2019
    People can't both demand "creativity" from the Sims team AND be saying things like "Occult Sims has always been part of Sims and we should get such pack!")
    Just because you want something old doesn't mean you can't also want something new. You could also get a new take on an old classes, like how Sims 4 reinvented vampires and gave them more depth and customization.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

You can have old themes but do them in different ways -- look at what they did with vampires by giving them sole focus in development. Or the differences between Sims 2 University (only go when you're a young adult, become an adult on graduation or you choose not to go, only attend once) and Sims 3 University Life (anyone YA+ can attend, can go multiple times so you can have your "professional student" Sims).

Sims 3 Supernatural for me was occult overkill -- there was too much packed in to it. I never really played much with anything but witches, but even they felt a bit half-baked; they put all the supernaturals in one pack (possibly to make it easier for non-occult fans to avoid) and really didn't do a thorough job on any of the states.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    Me personally I'm starved for some new innovative things, like maybe StrangerVille (dont have it yet so don't know how much gameplay it actually adds). Or anything supernatural, preferably something new and not the same old witches and werewolfs etc.
    I dont care about pets, seasons or uni or basically any other ones that we have seen time and time again but I don't throw a hissy fit about it. I might get disappointed but life goes on.

what I really detest here on the forum or yt is seeing "give us what we want", "we didn't ask for this" or "we want [insert rehashed pack here]!"
    Not everyone wants what you want and you shouldn't lump us all together. Even if it might be majority it's still not "we" or "us" that wants what you want.

I'm probably in minority on this as well but I hope they don't waste (in my opinion) resources on adding to the baby lifestate, talk about useless.
    Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Usually comes down to the same old nonsense majority of the time with different factors on the forums, Twitter or anywhere else. Different opinions.

I think at one point I stopped myself typing to one here and thought 'what's the point?'. It all always seems to be a old roundabout and not worth the effort even to share your opinion when you got some trying to belittle you over a game they don't seem to like. Feels like fans attack one another more so than the game these days sadly.

Life goes on if that one pack or feature I want hasn't came out yet.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    edited March 2019
    izecson wrote: »
    Maybe they have waited for a new game content for too long and the new pack does not have replayability value.

And there's so little content after 5 long years of waiting. This iteration may be okay for you if all you want to do is play with Alexa and toddlers 24/7... but you're out of luck if you're expecting a micro of the depth from previous iterations.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Think there's a few reasons:

1. Previous content is highly bugged and EA seems to actively avoid fixing it. Sims has fallen into this cycle when content will release semi-ok, then an update will break it and then it will be left broken. Notable examples are GTW careers, restaurants and vampires. PC players often fix a lot of issues with mods (not an excuse, but it is a way to go), but if you want the real scope of the issues, visit the Console forum, where people can't fix issues with mods.
    2. For those of us experiencing simulation lag, the game is breaking under its own weight. The Sims 4 had 27 content packs, 4.5 years of lifespan and despite being overfilled on more than one feature it's worse than its predecessor. We hear "can not" more often than we hear "we can". So the longer this iteration goes on, especially in this state, the more upset players get.
    3. Some of the packs are getting seriously sub-par as it goes along. Strangerville has 1.5 hours of linear story content and some empty/ copy pasted homes from other neighborhoods. Is it worth 20£, when you can buy a whole different game for that price?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member

Of course they can. I expect them to bring new ideas to old ones. TS2 supernatural creatures were different than TS1, TS3 supernaturals were different than TS3's and vampires are very different (yay) than TS3's. I'm sure it's hard to come up with newer ideas about previous packs or objects or even interactions, but sometimes they do exceed what I expected and sometimes they don't.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    We all want something different... there are thousand ways to play the sims. Peoples tend to get angry when they don't get what they want.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited March 2019
    Catlady wrote: »
    soko37 wrote: »
    Honestly, this is a silly question. I think you know why humans behave this way. This post feels less like a genuine inquiry and more like a way to identify yourself apart from such behavior. How long have you been playing the sims?

@soko37 Why do you bother commenting then? It was a genuine question actually. I observed the described behavior particularly in groups on Facebook and just wanted some thoughts from other people on it. The word "angry" seems to bother a lot of people here, if that was the wrong word I apologize, but English is not my mother tongue. Though for me the word seemed fitting.
    What do I gain from profiling myself as "apart from this behavior"? Why does my post bother you that much and why does it matter for how long I've played the Sims? I play the Sims since 2000. Why is that relevant though?

I asked how long you have been a simmer because some might not understand the emotional attachment long time players have toward the sims. I thought maybe if you only been playing since 3 or 4 you might not understand that involvement that caused such emotions in the fans of the game.

In all seriousness though, you seem a bit angry lol.
  • TropicanaCatTropicanaCat Posts: 93 Member
    Not every player will be happy with every expansion, stuff pack, game pack, free content update. There will always be something that someone for whatever reason or another simply doesn't like. It happens in every gaming community, it happened in the previous Sims games, some people HATED Uni, others really enjoyed it. There are just so many players, and it is hard to please all of us. My taste and play style might not be the same as other players, there are some expansions I just may not like, or clothing that just isn't my style.

There is also nothing wrong with people leaving feedback about a product, some feedback is more constructive than others, I've seen some very well thought out criticism, I've seen comments like "X just isn't my style", and some of the more rude comments. Everyone should be able to have a opinion without being attacked or attacking developers, mods, or other members. Some people are very passionate about the franchise, which in general can be a good thing unless you're just ranting and raving and not giving any feedback.

Also, as with any company, if customers are feeling like they are not being listened to, the tone changes. It goes from constructive feedback to just anger, if the bug reports and complaints about game play are being ignored while EA is putting up another paid item, I can understand why people would feel upset. (And no, I am not saying it is okay to be abusive to people.) I've seen it with another game I play, there were some pretty big issues, many PTR testers gave very good and detailed feedback, and it seemingly fell on deaf ears. I don't know if feedback is intentionally ignored, it's doubtful, but when there are no bug fixes for issues that have been a problem for a long time, and no mention of "We are working on a solution", or something similar, it just adds to player frustration. Like, how dare they keep expecting me to shell out money for a new product when the previous ones still have bugs. I think this is where some of the negativity is coming from.

As they say, you can't please everyone all the time.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    edited March 2019
    There are tons of factors, but I think one of the main ones is that Sims may be the only video game some people play. If a pack comes out that they're not interested in, they realize they may have to wait months (or more) for another pack to be released, and they can get rather...upset. :#

Some people can be very nasty and immature, but I'd like to think the majority of the fanbase is pretty reasonable.

I think this has a TON to do with it. If I am unhappy with what's released, I either don't buy it, or I wait to buy it, and in the meantime I go play other games like Sims 1, Sims 2, Sims 3, Path of Exile, Avakin Life, Covet Fashion, City Girl Life, Diggy's Adventure, Fallout Shelter, match 3 home decorating games, other match-3 games, hidden object games, or go edit my favorite wiki at the moment. When I was growing up, my parents insisted that I spend at least 2 hours a day outside - and at the time there were no electronics that could possibly go outside with me unless you count the lawn mower. If I went to a friend (and neighbor)'s house, my mom had to holler for me to come home when it got dark. We had a swing and a slide but no basketball hoop. As a result, I was rather bored outside, and had to make up my own single-player games. One I invented was to pick dandelions from our backyard, and tie them to a pegboard.
    Kids nowadays believe entertainment is a right. I grew up knowing it is a privilege.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited March 2019
    I like just about everything they put out, some packs more than others, but that is normal. I usually find something in a pack that makes it worth it for me. Whether it’s the new world, furniture, build items, buy items, CAS items or gameplay. I actually miss the stuff packs. I loved getting a new interactable item, new hair and CAS items each month. I don’t use mods or custom content, so I really rely on new packs.
  • CatladyCatlady Posts: 25 Member
    @soko37 I'm not angry, why would I? But that's always the difficulty when reading a post online.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019

It's funny because I feel like TS4 does not have enough realism. I miss having cars and making houses with garages, there are no doorbells, no burglars, no University, no attraction/chemistry system, no hobbies and interests, no graveyards, no funerals etc. Yet we have talking toilets, living scarecrows, living skeletons, aliens and alien plants, secret agents, rocket ships, lighting powers....

I like having occults like vamps but the game does lack a lot of realistic gameplay still and they have just added a pack based of sci-fi.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Folks let's avoid derailing the thread please and keep it a bit less personal
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    Folks let's avoid derailing the thread please and keep it a bit less personal
    Will do. Hope you have a nice day!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    People can't both demand "creativity" from the Sims team AND be saying things like "Occult Sims has always been part of Sims and we should get such pack!")
    Just because you want something old doesn't mean you can't also want something new. You could also get a new take on an old classes, like how Sims 4 reinvented vampires and gave them more depth and customization.

One of the few things The Sims 4 did better than 2 and/or 3. Toddlers and holiday were improved as well. TS4 is a step backwards when it comes to pretty much everything else.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Naus wrote: »

One of the few things The Sims 4 did better than 2 and/or 3. Toddlers and holiday were improved as well. TS4 is a step backwards when it comes to pretty much everything else.

Actually that statement is a personal opinion and not everyones opinion. The mod just warned about keeping this thread less personal -

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I would say it's more disappointment and frustration over not getting the things we want in the game. And it isn't that new stuff isn't a welcome addition it's just there are certain things that they want more than the other.

I do get disappointed. Specially here lately. But I've chosen to just not buy anything for Sims 4 till witches and a university come out. And if it doesn't then after 19 years of playing this game then I just won't play it anymore. Guess I'll have to wait the years ahead for a Sims 5. Till then I do have Sims 1, 2, and 3. I've went back to playing Sims 3 in the meantime.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Naus wrote: »

Things that are better in 4 than in any other Sims:

Toddlers
    Children
    Teens (thank god we finally have actual teenage looking teens!)
    Pets
    Vampires
    Most animations
    Worlds (Sims 3 "open world" is just a gilded cage, since you can run everywhere in it, but never leave it. Plus San Myshuno is just the best world ever in any game)
    Style choice (the cartoony style is just so much prettier)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    The only time I was legitimately angry with a pack was when 'My First Pet' was announced... and it's because it was literally an extra $10 extension to 'Cats & Dogs'. The content that came with 'My First Pet' should've been included with 'Cats & Dogs' from the beginning with no extra cost.

I have been somewhat frustrated in the past with other packs, but nothing made me angrier than when EA decided to charge us an extra $10 for content that should've already been included in a recently released pack. We all know this was done on purpose for them to make some quick extra cash. That stuff pack is literally the definition of a cash grab.

Anyway, I think the main reason most people get upset with certain packs is because it's usually a pack almost nobody asked for. A lot of Sims fans feel like the developers are ignoring them, despite the fact that they're being as vocal as possible about what they want in the game. For example, so many people have been demanding Seasons and University since the game was first launched... and it took nearly 4 years for Seasons to even come at all. We're still waiting on University. Meanwhile, EA decides to release expansion packs like 'Get Famous' with a very small world and one new career. Then they release game and stuff packs with literally the same exact objects and hairstyles (but slightly altered). I mean, I swear... there's a specific female hair in the game that has been given to us like 5 times already! The only difference being either the texture or how it's parted.

I'm not trying to make this seem like some kind of attack on anyone... but it's something that truly concerns me about the direction of this franchise. I've been playing this game since I was like 10 years old. I've played since the first game. I've seen the quality of these packs decrease over the years... we're paying more for less content compared to previous installments. I mean, even when I didn't necessarily *want* a pack in Sims 2 and most of Sims 3, I would still be very happily satisfied with the content/features it came with. I cannot say the same for quite a few packs for Sims 4. For example, I regret purchasing 'Outdoor Retreat'. I hardly use anything from that pack (except maybe the horseshoe pit sometimes). Overall, I don't think it was worth the $20 I paid for.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    I really don't know why new content makes one angry seeing they are not forced to buy anything - it is a choice really. I did get angry over the small world in the ep pack Get Famous - but i very much wanted that pack and to use the Sims I had been grooming to move in that world only to find it too small. I was angry not over new stuff - but having an sp size world being thrown at us in an ep at the price of an ep - which is twice the price of an sp. In my case my anger was justified that when we see an ep - well we expect an ep size world. That was a bit of an insult to us as sims players.

But as to simmers getting mad about new content period - well I guess you have to ask them - but I would gather it is something they did not like, instead of something they sort of expected to see. Perhaps they are young simmers, as kids often get angry if they do not get exactly what they expected.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....