Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do people get so angry about new Sims 4 content?

I'm part of several Sims 4 groups besides this forum and whenever some new DLC is announced a lot of people get really angry and behave like they're being personally attacked and what not, i.e. if said new content is not to their liking.
I just can't seem to understand this. Is this just an internet thing that happens due to the anonymity?
This makes me kinda sad to be honest, just like the old discussion about each previous title being way better than the current Sims title (happened with Sims 3 when it was new, just like it is now with the Sims 4).
What are your thoughts? Is that something you think about as well?

Comments

• duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I think it has a lot to do with passion. Whatever else we, as a community are, we are passionate about our little sims' lives and how their short hours are spent, so when the game goes in a direction that we do not enjoy or are afraid we won't enjoy, it can be upsetting.

I think in many cases, people feed their own negative thoughts with other people's negative thoughts and two people who were mildly irked become down right angry. The original 'problem' isn't any worse, but in their minds, now its monumental! I've fallen into that trap a few times. Can't blame anyone but myself for it. It happens. Now days, I just try to remind myself that someone out there is over-the-moon-happy with that piece of content I don't like. That makes it much better. Knowing someone else who maybe was disappointed last content update is excited over the new one helps a bunch.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    There are tons of factors, but I think one of the main ones is that Sims may be the only video game some people play. If a pack comes out that they're not interested in, they realize they may have to wait months (or more) for another pack to be released, and they can get rather...upset. :#

Some people can be very nasty and immature, but I'd like to think the majority of the fanbase is pretty reasonable.

You hit the nail in the head, at least this is how I feel. I’m never upset, but I do get disappointed and it’s only ever happened with this iteration for the reason you stated. Content for 4 comes sporadically and there are long months between releases.

In the past when something came out that was not to my liking, like supernaturals, I was happy for the folks that would enjoy it and I’d sit tight knowing it wouldn’t be too long until we’d hear about what was next. Also the store helped quench my thirst for new content in between.
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    It does happen with other games. I play Civilization, and mostly you only hear from people who think Civ V was better than Civ VI, and the latest expansion was over-priced, buggy, and disappointing.

Actually, the Sims is the only game I know of where people come on the forum to talk about how much they're enjoying the game and what they love about the latest DLC.
  • CatladyCatlady Posts: 25 Member
    I guess I get what you're saying, this does make sense to me. I still find it a bit unfair/unreasonable considering we do get a lot of free new content and bug fixes kinda regularly.

Though I have to say I experience this phenomenon a lot more severe in the Sims 4 facebook groups I'm in.
  • JoBass24usJoBass24us Posts: 1,629 Member
    edited March 2019
    Catlady wrote: »
    I guess I get what you're saying, this does make sense to me. I still find it a bit unfair/unreasonable considering we do get a lot of free new content and bug fixes kinda regularly.

Though I have to say I experience this phenomenon a lot more severe in the Sims 4 facebook groups I'm in.

I believe you. I only come here from time to time. I generally avoid other groups/forums. I’ve seen how much of a cesspool it’s become and I rather avoid it all together.

• AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    There’s so many reasons for this to happen, but I think a lot of it is people getting their hopes up, only to be let down because something isn’t what they want or even just slightly different.

The University EP is such a good example for this, honestly. You find so many people who want a University EP and keep asking for it no matter what, because surely a huge group of people asking for the same thing is going to get noticed pretty quickly by the developers, right?

Meanwhile the game developers have their own ideas on what they want to do (and in what order, too) and have been working on their own thing (such as Strangerville and Get Famous). They’re aware many people are asking for (basically demanding at this point) a University EP but have something else planned for now so they may discuss it or do it later.

Fast forward to the day they decide to announce their new project, said people are expecting the University EP because of how much they’ve been asking for it, even if the developers are hinting at something else, but then it ends up being something different and they get disappointed because they got their hopes up, sometimes without too much evidence it could even be that.

It’s a sad circle some people get themselves into, and it’s completely preventable. (I’m not saying people shouldn’t ask for things, just that if something’s not exactly what you want to stay positive. Who knows; they could do your thing next time!) The game developers clearly work so hard on everything they do, so I can imagine how upsetting it can get when some people aren’t appreciative of their hard work. This is just how I see it anyway.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    That took half an hour to type up, y’all. A new record for me!
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    @AriaMad2 It was worth the 30 minutes though. Well worded and well thought-out. :)
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2019
    I get the frustration. The game has been out for four years, and it's missing a ton of beloved content from other games. (I know a lot of people stopped playing because the game is so bereft of long-lasting content, there's nothing to do.) This is especially true for us occult fans - instead of getting new life states almost every EP, we've gotten two permanent states over the past four years, and neither of them are the highly-requested witches. We didn't get toddlers for three years. It feels like the devs aren't listening to what fans want.

When we get a new pack announcement and see that it isn't what we want, it means that we have to wait several months for the next pack, in the hopes that we might get what we want. It's even worse when the pack is something you have no interest in, and adds no value to you personally. All you can do is skip the pack and not have any new Sims content for a few months. (I kind of like RPG stories like StrangerVille, even if I didn't like SV's story. I'd be fine with more packs like it, but I can understand the myriad of reasons why people are against this pack.) It's a constant cycle of waiting and waiting, only to be disappointed, that's been going on for years. It's hard to stay positive after so long.

That said, negativity doesn't justify lashing out at the devs, or at those who are happy with what they have. (Luckily though, this fandom seems to be above that for the most part.) I can also get how it can be when you just want to enjoy something, but everyone around you is insulting it constantly - believe me, I've had to put up with that for years, multiple times. But I completely understand why people are frustrated, and I don't think it's fair to paint the complainers as this ungrateful group of angry people. But then again, I haven't seen these groups personally; for all I know, they could literally be hanging from their chandeliers and screaming whenever they look at their computer screens.
    Thing is, free stuff doesn't negate everything else. A free t-shirt and a necklace now and again won't make up for the lack of something REALLY want. Besides, fixing bugs is what they're supposed to do, and I don't think EAxis is giving out free items purely out of the goodness of their hearts. You can appreciate what they do, but they'll do it regardless of how you feel because they're getting paid for it.
    Post edited by Gordy on
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I think most people who are unhappy with new stuff are generally just annoyed, frustrated, and/or disappointed that a pack isn't something they will use, that the quality isn't good, that they've seen people asking for other things for a long time and they never come, or that their are bugs to be fixed that have been around/introduced with new packs but don't get fixed.

Any of those things would be hard to deal with, but I think the unhappy, spiteful few are just that -- the few, and their unhappiness is magnified and echoed in small online communities (the same happens when people are pleased with something and ignore issues in favor of what made them happy). And sometimes they seem worse than they are because you can't see their expression or hear their voice, or they just act badly because they can't be held as accountable through the screen.

I've seen this on both sides of the coin here: people saying it is objective truth that the game is good or bad and either everything or nothing is wrong with it, and that if you don't fit in one category you're in the other. This is false. You can have either of those opinions (that the game is the best or the worst), or any of the other various opinions that exist. Me, I love the game and play all the time, but there are things I want changed or fixed, and hope that one day they will be. It doesn't mean I hate the game. I just want it to be even better. Still have tons of fun though, and am always grateful for patches that brought a lot of the things I did want.🙂

It's also like @AriaMad2 said too, I think. People assume the next pack is what they want because many people want it, even though there is no proof. Then when it's not what they were expecting they feel betrayed, even though nothing concrete was ever said. Not a judgment, just an observation.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Depends what kind of "content" you mean. Stuff like the Alexa feature that adds literally nothing to the severely lacking gameplay is of course gonna get backlash (and rightfully so imo). Fans have been demanding improvements to the game for years and to see that get ignored with things that literally don't improve the gameplay in any way won't be met well.

If you mean packs, well obviously if it's not what people want, they're gonna be mad and will express that in their posts. Especially if it's something people have been wanting for a while like a school based pack.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I'm part of several Sims 4 groups besides this forum and whenever some new DLC is announced a lot of people get really angry and behave like they're being personally attacked and what not, i.e. if said new content is not to their liking.
    I just can't seem to understand this. Is this just an internet thing that happens due to the anonymity?
    This makes me kinda sad to be honest, just like the old discussion about each previous title being way better than the current Sims title (happened with Sims 3 when it was new, just like it is now with the Sims 4).
    What are your thoughts? Is that something you think about as well?

It goes both ways as those who want other things besides what EA/Maxis is giving and it is not an one sided issue. There are plenty of posts that can be read to show what the fuss is over so need for me to repeat it here.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Gordy wrote: »
    I get the frustration. The game has been out for four years, and it's missing a ton of beloved content from other games. (I know a lot of people stopped playing because the game is so bereft of long-lasting content, there's nothing to do.) This is especially true for us occult fans - instead of getting new life states almost every EP, we've gotten two permanent states over the past four years, and neither of them are the highly-requested witches. We didn't get toddlers for three years. It feels like the devs aren't listening to what fans want.

When we get a new pack announcement and see that it isn't what we want, it means that we have to wait several months for the next pack, in the hopes that we might get what we want. It's even worse when the pack is something you have no interest in, and adds no value to you personally. All you can do is skip the pack and not have any new Sims content for a few months. (I kind of like RPG stories like StrangerVille, even if I didn't like SV's story. I'd be fine with more packs like it, but I can understand the myriad of reasons why people are against this pack.) It's a constant cycle of waiting and waiting, only to be disappointed, that's been going on for years. It's hard to stay positive after so long.

That said, negativity doesn't justify lashing out at the devs, or at those who are happy with what they have. (Luckily though, this fandom seems to be above that for the most part.) I can also get how it can be when you just want to enjoy something, but everyone around you is insulting it constantly - believe me, I've had to put up with that for years, multiple times. But I completely understand why people are frustrated, and I don't think it's fair to paint the complainers as this ungrateful group of angry people. But then again, I haven't seen these groups personally; for all I know, they could literally be hanging from their chandeliers and screaming whenever they look at their computer screens.
    Thing is, free stuff doesn't negate everything else. A free t-shirt and a necklace now and again won't make up for the lack of something REALLY want. Besides, fixing bugs is what they're supposed to do, and I don't think EAxis is giving out free items purely out of the goodness of their hearts. You can appreciate what they do, but they'll do it regardless of how you feel because they're getting paid for it.

"Free stuff doesn't negate everything else. A free t-shirt and a necklace now and again won't make up for the lack of something REALLY want." this I agree with. Some want real features and not just some items.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Depends what kind of "content" you mean. Stuff like the Alexa feature that adds literally nothing to the severely lacking gameplay is of course gonna get backlash (and rightfully so imo). Fans have been demanding improvements to the game for years and to see that get ignored with things that literally don't improve the gameplay in any way won't be met well.

If you mean packs, well obviously if it's not what people want, they're gonna be mad and will express that in their posts. Especially if it's something people have been wanting for a while like a school based pack.
    To be fair, didn’t they say the Alexa thing was something a dev made in their free time?

Either way, I’m getting really tired of the “Nobody asked for this!” thing people post, especially about Strangerville and Get Famous. I get wanting old favourites back, but not everything has to be a remake of old packs.

Also I bet if they released a supernatural gp that isn’t Witches or maybe Werewolves the feedback forum would collapse under the weight of “this isn’t what we wanted” from people who want Witches and the people who think they shouldn’t make any supernatural packs at all. (I would prefer a Fairies gp, personally.)
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    Every time someone throws a dramatic fit about a recently announced pack not containing what they want, I can't help imagining a screaming toddler in a high chair refusing to eat today's meal. I understand people being disappointed because they were hoping for something else and now will have to wait even longer for that, or getting frustrated when the developers keep throwing out stuff no one asked for while holding back content that fans really want. But getting angry, like... seriously, honestly, totally, outright angry? Insulting the developers? Saying TS4 is going down the drain just because the new pack doesn't contain any clothes for children? That's what I don't understand.

I for one get angry about bugs, and that's why I've come to dread the monthly patches, it's no secret that they tend to break stuff already in the game. I get even more angry when the developers take their sweet time to fix those bugs or never do it at all, I mean, we're talking about content that I paid for, and now it's no longer working properly because of an unavoidable update they released. But getting angry about things that aren't even released is pushing it.

And sometimes, the things no one asked for can very well turn out to be the best! I had a strong feeling earlier this year that we would be getting witches next, already started making plans for them in my mind, then StrangerVille happened instead, and... I'm thrilled! StrangerVille and Jungle Adventures are two packs I never saw coming, never wished for either, and didn't see anyone else wishing for, yet I immediately fell in love with them when they were announced, and to me, they're the best GPs so far. Had the new pack that pushed my witches farther back been something I absolutely didn't want or need, like a story progression patch or a Baby SP or whatever, I would have been disappointed for sure. But in the end, you can't please everyone. Not even highly demanded features such as witches and university are truly wanted by everyone.

I'm not saying this to sound like a wise old grandma. I'm saying this because I'm a creator myself in a way, I write books, and at times some of my readers are not pleased with the direction I go with for my stories. In those cases, it's totally fine to voice your dissatisfaction and say what you didn't like and why, feedback like that can really help. But people who totally flip out on me for not delivering exactly what they asked for (which fortunately hasn't happened to me yet, but you never know) will be the first I'll choose to ignore.
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I'm not seeing the anger, but I do get the frustration with it being (and continuing to be long after a generous period of giving it a chance) such a limited, lackluster version of the sims that it really doesn't belong in the same category as its previous three iterations... in my humble opinion. And each additional content pack (some with just a single play through worth of content) just seems to accentuate how truncated and window-dressed it is.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Maybe cause there is no competitor, we know that when something is done wrong nobody can fix it. Cause EA is the only one on the store.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited March 2019
    QueenMercy wrote: »
    Either way, I’m getting really tired of the “Nobody asked for this!” thing people post, especially about Strangerville and Get Famous. I get wanting old favourites back, but not everything has to be a remake of old packs.

Also I bet if they released a supernatural gp that isn’t Witches or maybe Werewolves the feedback forum would collapse under the weight of “this isn’t what we wanted” from people who want Witches and the people who think they shouldn’t make any supernatural packs at all. (I would prefer a Fairies gp, personally.)
    I don't see people saying that we can't ever have new stuff, or that we should focus on remaking old things. It's just that there's so much old stuff that people want, and the new stuff being presented isn't to their interests. This is especially understandable with StrangerVille, because a linear, goal-driven narrative clashes with the sandbox freedom much of the franchise has been built on. (Though as I said earlier, I'm fine with optional stories and such - it's an interesting option, though I think it could have been better implemented.)

People will always be upset, that's a given for any franchise. Or anything ever, really. That can't be changed no matter what you do; people are all different, and the people complaining about one thing aren't the same people who are complaining about another. The ideal would be to try and please as many people as you can, or give people turns. I remember family-oriented players felt left out for a while. That was fixed when packs were made to cater to them, and family stuff was mixed in with other content.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    I can't speak for others - but the only pack that truly got me angry was one I really looked forward to - the Get Famous pack - as I like the fame packs - but I got angry because of the world that came with the ep. The eps is where we usually get new Big worlds for our Sims and 3 new directions for our sims to go in - so I really look forward to eps and I especially looked forward to a fame ep. It was bad enough when instead of us getting 3 new fame directions we got 1 main one - the acting. Then they added to the disappointment by tossing in a dinky world. So yeah I was angry.

Things like that make me angry seeing we all wait quite a long time for an EP and then we get one that is reduced to 1 out of 3 careers in a world a third the size it should be and all the same price as any ep. When things have been a certainty for nearly 20 years - well you sort of expect to get the same or better packs now as you have gotten the last 19 years - or if not well you expect a good explanation as to why this will not be happening and suddenly things change with no advanced warning at all - never mind no clear cut reason as to why the often very popular fame pack has been delivered a third the size you expected it to be.

You name me anything else people would not be mad about that they buy on a regular basis that suddenly gets cut by 2/3rds in size and kept at the same prize with zero explanation. If that was your morning coffee or tea, or anything else - most people would be angry - and I could very well understand that.

I do agree though when the pack type is not to someones liking because of subject or theme because they simply wanted something else and they pitch a fit about it - well I would see that as pretty immature - especially when we know it is not the last pack coming. I might be more understandable if it was the last pack though.

It does not help matters in any case when all these things happen and the people in charge of the game making are not allowed to warn or inform their consumers of why. As consumers of these goods well people have every right to be informed of what they are buying, why changes were being made, etc, etc. Hobby or not - as for the product, the consumer deserves to be warned of changes to a long time product they have supported for 19 years - it is sort of wrong to treat the product as if it was a military secret - never mind suddenly surprise the consumer with major changes at the last minute. That kind of anger I get and even agree with.

But getting say Strangerville instead of Uni and blowing a gasket - well that rather strikes me as immature behavior if the player is an adult anyway. Keep in mind I want Uni too - but I found Strangerville quite refreshing and different - so I was not angry the pack wasn't Uni. Besides Uni has always been an ep - when it was revealed to be a gp - well I knew it wasn't Uni.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    Hopes get too high and then expectations get crushed.
    edited March 2019
    Hopes get too high and then expectations get crushed.

Well they say Knowledge is power - but when knowledge is a great big secret - the consumer has no power. People eventually get angry.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Personally I try to keep fairly positive and so far I have been able to find something I can enjoy in every pack, even if the theme isn't my first choice. I remember when TS4 first came out and everyone was so upset about toddlers. I was upset too, but still hopeful and I was not left disappointed. I agree it is a little silly when people make assumptions about the next pack and pitch a fit when it's not what they wanted or expected or don't even give it a chance first. I suppose it's the same for any fanbase or product though - you're more likely to see people post when they're unhappy about something than positive. Most people tend to hate change too. I mean, I'm still not over David Tennant leaving Doctor Who lol. Thankfully I haven't seen too much extreme negativity and more fair points from simmers, but I only use these forums. Then again, I'm British and we love a good moan! :D

I can understand when others express disappointment, frustration or impatience or have some constructive criticism about the game (and those pesky bugs urgh!), in fact I think it's great for players to get things off their chests, share ideas and know they're not alone in their views. Plus it's useful feedback for the developers, as long as it's constructive of course. I think as others have stated The Sims is one of its kind and for many the only game they play and/or a game they are very passionate about. It allows us to create our own stories and put a part of ourselves into it, so it's only natural to care so much and yes feel angry at times too. Some of us are also very old time simmers who have been here since the beginning and so it means a lot to us and there's a lot of the past people are missing and hoping to rediscover. There is that feeling of nostalgia too and you'll find people will often have a bias towards viewing the past in more positive terms. You can't please everyone, but I would hope for a nice balance for different gameplay styles.

Anyway, I wouldn't let it get you down, although I can understand how it can get disheartening. As long as you're having fun though, that's really all that matters. Happy simming!
    Gordy wrote: »
    QueenMercy wrote: »

I don't see people saying that we can't ever have new stuff, or that we should focus on remaking old things. It's just that there's so much old stuff that people want, and the new stuff being presented isn't to their interests. This is especially understandable with StrangerVille, because a linear, goal-driven narrative clashes with the sandbox freedom much of the franchise has been built on. (Though as I said earlier, I'm fine with optional stories and such - it's an interesting option, though I think it could have been better implemented.)

People will always be upset, that's a given for any franchise. Or anything ever, really. That can't be changed no matter what you do; people are all different, and the people complaining about one thing aren't the same people who are complaining about another. The ideal would be to try and please as many people as you can, or give people turns. I remember family-oriented players felt left out for a while. That was fixed when packs were made to cater to them, and family stuff was mixed in with other content.

Sims 3 had a good formula for handling all that - where one ep would be an old idea brought back and updated and the next ep would be a brand new idea. They would have done well to stay with that formula as it fairly gave new ideas and old ideas brought forward equality and fairness for everyone. No one could say that no one asked for the ep that was new - simply because it was established in the beginning every other ep would be something no one asked for and the choice of the devs. Many of those new not asked for packs were well received - like into the Future, Supernaturals, WA, etc. Changing back to that formula one will know only every other pack would be something people asked for - the following pack would be a requested pack. That formula worked if you asked me and left players with some knowledge of what to expect even if the pack idea was a mystery.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• KottonKrownKottonKrown Posts: 259 Member
    I'm not in any FB groups so I can only speak for what I see on this forum re: Sims 4. I rarely see any actual anger, more like, frustration. People are passionate about the Sims (this would apply to any other fan forum, too) and I think that people feel like saying something here is the only way for our voices to be heard. There'll always be divided camps who like the new pack, ones who don't and ones who are lukewarm. A lot of people feel ignored and that leads to frustration and resentment. From a lot of people's point of view, we're more than four years into this era and it's still lacking in a lot of things that have become expectations in the series. Overall, I don't think that people mean any harm by it, we just want our game to be at its best since we are paying customers, after all. Obviously attacking other members and the devs isn't okay, though, there's no excusing that.
    Bring back the Paranormal career already.