Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

stop giving us MORE 'stuff' and give us the stuff we had in earlier editions.

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited March 2019
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Archieonic wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I don’t get why we still don’t have cars.
    Ok, it’s not an open world but we could still have them, and have the sims get in and drive a little before the loading screen.

Also what would be nice is being able to have car interactions : wash the car, fix the car etc

Drive where? On what roads?

Willow Creek, Oasis Spring, Newcrest, Forgotten Hollow, Del Sol Valley (one district conflicts), Windenburg (some exceptions), Strangerville, Brindleton Bay have roads. In some areas like Brindleton Bay's coastal neighborhood the road outside is labeled as out of boundaries but that can be modified to allow for car pathfinding and animation.

No that is fx paths and not even remotely a road system. Sims cannot occupy fx space. It only looks like roads but check the programming - fx all the way FX goes right through the sims.

That just needs a change in how the environment is treated as far as common areas go or in this case, roads. That's why I said that the roads are there. Same way how sims pathing works to cross the street, or how in DSV they can actually be on the street. What is lacking is a basic pathfinding system on them. You can grab an FX object and make it "solid" and bind it to the allowable common areas then structure basic 2 way pathfinding and of course, pathfinding into a lot which is a bit more complex. But in this case the object is already there and solid, just missing that structure to interact with the world. Since the world system in TS4 is unlike TS2 or TS3, you don't need a full road system, you just need to allow X object to pathfind through the solid mesh.

The only thing that would be time and resource intensive is the animations.

It's not that simple. It needs serious restructuring from the ground up for one thing. Don't forget Sims 4 also does not have a specific map system - among other things. Time is something the devs do not have an abundance of and they have made a point in the near past of mentioning they would rather spend time starting from scratch than trying to redo whats already been done in this particular game.

Frankly I would be totally shocked if EA even approached the idea of them doing such a thing - but you never know I guess. All we can really do is wait and see - but I honestly would be surprised if it happens as you think it can.

I actually love travel in Sims 3 - so believe me if there was an easy way I'd love to see it happen. I just don't see it happening in this particular game that easily. Heck I want the hoovercraft back even and jet packs - I loved those in Sims 3.

Well I still want them. Even if they just drive straightforward in and out of the garage, and then BAM, loading screen. It's just so relatable for sims to have cars in the game, I want them, I don't care if they are "useful" or not. It's amusing to see and it increases my immersion of the life simmulator. I don't think animating car woohoo would be hard, or making out inside (it be like a normal couch almost) or sims entering cars and sitting there to drive straightforward and back in the drive way. It would be like any other object in the game. In TS2 they get out of the drive way, but I don't think that's even needed.

And I'd like cars to have a chance of breaking down, especially cheaper ones, and sims either hire a mechanic or repair it themselves. It would also be cool if they could get alarms for cars against burglars and teens get their drivers licence at a rabbit hole with the chance of failure. Getting a drivers license could make it so that the sims get less chance of a car breaking down.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I don’t get why we still don’t have cars.
    Ok, it’s not an open world but we could still have them, and have the sims get in and drive a little before the loading screen.

Also what would be nice is being able to have car interactions : wash the car, fix the car etc

Drive where? On what roads?

Willow Creek, Oasis Spring, Newcrest, Forgotten Hollow, Del Sol Valley (one district conflicts), Windenburg (some exceptions), Strangerville, Brindleton Bay have roads. In some areas like Brindleton Bay's coastal neighborhood the road outside is labeled as out of boundaries but that can be modified to allow for car pathfinding and animation.

No that is fx paths and not even remotely a road system. Sims cannot occupy fx space. It only looks like roads but check the programming - fx all the way FX goes right through the sims.

That just needs a change in how the environment is treated as far as common areas go or in this case, roads. That's why I said that the roads are there. Same way how sims pathing works to cross the street, or how in DSV they can actually be on the street. What is lacking is a basic pathfinding system on them. You can grab an FX object and make it "solid" and bind it to the allowable common areas then structure basic 2 way pathfinding and of course, pathfinding into a lot which is a bit more complex. But in this case the object is already there and solid, just missing that structure to interact with the world. Since the world system in TS4 is unlike TS2 or TS3, you don't need a full road system, you just need to allow X object to pathfind through the solid mesh.

The only thing that would be time and resource intensive is the animations.

It's not that simple. It needs serious restructuring from the ground up for one thing. Don't forget Sims 4 also does not have a specific map system - among other things. Time is something the devs do not have an abundance of and they have made a point in the near past of mentioning they would rather spend time starting from scratch than trying to redo whats already been done in this particular game.

Frankly I would be totally shocked if EA even approached the idea of them doing such a thing - but you never know I guess. All we can really do is wait and see - but I honestly would be surprised if it happens as you think it can.

I actually love travel in Sims 3 - so believe me if there was an easy way I'd love to see it happen. I just don't see it happening in this particular game that easily. Heck I want the hoovercraft back even and jet packs - I loved those in Sims 3.

Oh don't get me wrong, I actually don't think it will happen lol. The thing is it does not need to be a full rewrite of how worlds work. It's just a tweak to how a specific object interacts with the current world. If you wanted to actually create a proper road system where the whole world follow that mechanic then that'd be a different story but then again, no point in doing so at this point here. But they could take the fx roads, restructure the object and attach a basic pathfinding system to it of just 2 lanes, and make cars follow it much like how sims follow a pathing route on the sidewalk of some worlds avoiding some roads. You are just applying a rule to an object per zone. The big issue here is the animations. As you said they mentioned how consuming they were to make in TS2, and here they'd have to accomodate for a lot of different environments instead of a simple setup where all lots are next to a normal road. If it was a teleporting system like TS3 sure, but ala TS2 it would be a hefty task to do.

But yeah, I have next to 0 hopes for it coming to TS4. One can only dream.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited March 2019
    Archieonic - maybe now that devs won't have to deal with the 32 bit systems - they might have a better chance of being able to deal with all that. I guess we have to just wait and see what they do, but as the 64 bit system frees up a lot of restraints that's been on this game and may make some of the near impossible - very possible.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    edited March 2019
    Gagea wrote: »
    Not everyone wants things from previous games back in Sims 4. Vampires e.g are much better now.

Vampires have literally been in every past Sims game. That qualifies as being a "thing from previous games"
    a256aFi.gif