Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Publicly Disgraced...

My Sim Amelia went to university and had a boyfriend there, Jeffrey Dean. She graduated, found a better guy back in her hometown (Appaloosa Plains). I had to invite Jeffrey over to get them to break up, and Amelia declared him an enemy. She then married the better guy (CAS guy named James). She had a child with James before marrying him. In the Reputation/Memories panel, Amelia has had two total relationships with one being active (the one with James). Just to reinforce the point, I got Amelia to send Jeffrey a break up text, and the relationship in family tree does now say that Amelia is Jeffrey’s ex (before I sent the text, he still thought of Amelia as his girlfriend even though they had definitely broken up.

Anyway, she is now a level 3 celebrity. She recently gave birth to triplets (James wants 5 kids). Not long after giving birth, she got a notification saying that she’d been publicly disgraced for having a child out of wedlock. 🐸🐸🐸🐸??? She is married to James. All the triplets recognise Amelia and James as their parents. Amelia is definitely not two-timing anyone, she broke up with Jeffrey and is happily married to James. So she got publicly accused for a complete lie. And anyway, having a child out of wedlock? OH NOES!! Seriously, is this the 50s??

I’m sending Amelia to City Hall to sue for slander.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    And anyway, having a child out of wedlock? OH NOES!! Seriously, is this the 50s??
    Actually yes, it is. The entire game's sensibilities (if you can call them that) are based on the idyllic version of fictional reality that were 1950s television shows -- it wasn't entirely like that for real back then either. It's silly, quirky, annoying, but can be fun to play through for those who welcome the additional challenges. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    Hahaha well, maybe since she wasn't famous back when she did have a child out of wedlock the tabloids are just now getting the scoop. :tongue:
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,943 Member
    She successfully sued for slander, yay!!

And that’s interesting @igazor . It’s kind of funny given how celebrities IRL have such crazy personal lives, with affairs and multiple marriages and kids left right and centre being the norm. And I’m pretty sure it was somewhat like that in the 50s, although perhaps less so.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    edited March 2019
    It was JUST AS MUCH SO, and the scandals were hotly blared from the tabloid press. Read Hollywood Babylon, by Kenneth Anger. Admittedly, it's all gossip, but still.

I usually sue, but if I am in a hurry and have a rich Sim, I'll bribe the press instead.
    Ooh sounds interesting @Sindocat !
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Just because the kids ARE related to your sims, doesn't stop the press from reporting that they're not. :D

I usually use Nraas Retuner to eliminate the silliest scandals like woohoo in public, child out of wedlock, or woohoo with an occult.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
    I hear ya girl, I had to turn OFF that part of the celebrity system. Not because of children out of wedlock but because of the occult thing, which is just TS3's version of racism.

@Kevin
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    Just because the kids ARE related to your sims, doesn't stop the press from reporting that they're not. :D

:D:D:D

• MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I kinda of like the public disgraced system. It’s old fashioned in many ways but once you have played with the newest title reputation “system” I much prefer Ts3 version.
    Funnily enough she had twins recently (both she and James have Fertility Treatment) and no accusation then! James got falsely accused of getting into a fight (he’s a 1 star celebrity). But that is definitely a “falsely accused” one.
  • alexjoanrowwalexjoanroww Posts: 63 Member
    Celebrity disgrace rumors work just like in real life. Sometimes,they are true and sometimes not. My celebrity sims have had totally false rumors go around for them.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The Sims is meant to be on ideal 1950s suburban life but when the kids started going to University, nightclubs and had access to juice it all went wrong and now the elder ladies are their wagging their finger remembering the days when TS3 was just a base game and the worst that you Sim could do was get a job at the 'Abandoned warehouse' :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    @igazor Going at add as well as you mentioned, TS3 was meant to have that slight 50s hint as it was TS1 & TS2 Sims in the past as the back story. This was the case with Sunset Valley and Riverview
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited March 2019
    The Sims is meant to be on ideal 1950s suburban life but when the kids started going to University, nightclubs and had access to juice it all went wrong and now the elder ladies are their wagging their finger remembering the days when TS3 was just a base game and the worst that you Sim could do was get a job at the 'Abandoned warehouse' :D
    The thing is since TS3 (unlike say TS1) allows us to progress through generations, many of us find that all the juice- and herb-infused Uni types of behavior can be outgrown with very few permanent repercussions attached if one so chooses. Much like in real life. Except of course the occasional oops-moments leading to pregnancies, given the age of my parents and where they were at the time of my conception I can attest to these things personally. ;)

I don't want to offend anyone, but the elder ladies can go back to their knitting circles or whatever and not be so worried about things that do not concern them.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Well, not to offend anyone who does not want to be so; but pregnancies can be overcame with (and future ones eliminated) too, in a more or less secure way depending on the service system where one lives. Paparazzis, that for me is synonymous with tabloid/rag paper and not the press in whole; are best dealt with by placing out the Door of Life and Death, and everyone else can just mind their own business :smiley:
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've not only disabled the celebrity system in NRaas story progression because the celebrity disgrace can also be turned right off in story progression general options.I used to get that nonsense until I discovered it could be fully disabled.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    igazor wrote: »
    The thing is since TS3 (unlike say TS1) allows us to progress through generations, many of us find that all the juice- and herb-infused Uni types of behavior can be outgrown with very few permanent repercussions attached if one so chooses. Much like in real life. Except of course the occasional oops-moments leading to pregnancies, given the age of my parents and where they were at the time of my conception I can attest to these things personally. ;)

I don't want to offend anyone, but the elder ladies can go back to their knitting circles or whatever and not be so worried about things that do not concern them.

We need knitting circles in The Sims! :D
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    igazor wrote: »

@igazor @king_of_simcity7 as an elderly lady who has been known to knit a jumper or two I could take serious offence at the stereotyping.

Not all old ladies are narrow minded, some despite their uptight and repressive upbringing, do turn out to be broadminded ;) . The joy of the sims is players can encourage their sims to behave in whatever way they like. I suspect though Will Wright wanted us to understand that there should be consequences for such behaviour. Why the developers choose such outdated morality I don't understand given other aspects of the game but there we are. After ten years it is unlikely to be changed now.

My advice to the OP is to ignore any future repeats of the incident. As others have said here (and I am sure celebs say in RL) whatever happens is nobody's business except theirs.

As for knitting circles I always maintained that sims should be able to knit but like the celebrity system I guess it is far too late to organise now.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    I did not mean to stereotype and I did not mean all elder ladies would ever even think of behaving in such a manner. I was referring to the ones in particular being mentioned. Perhaps the term "nosy busybodies" would have been a better choice, but really we may have been subconsciously thinking of the original Mrs. Crumplebottom.

Sorry if that did end up offending anyone, for whatever it's worth I am not that far from being an elder myself and do not see my sim elders in such a manner either.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    My advice to the OP is to ignore any future repeats of the incident. As others have said here (and I am sure celebs say in RL) whatever happens is nobody's business except theirs.

Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to ignore the incidents. My first ever sim in Bridgeport was disgraced by a false accusation that she had gotten into a fight or something. She lost several friends over it, and when she and her husband went out to eat, the restaurant refused to serve her.
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »

Unfortunately, it isn't always possible to ignore the incidents. My first ever sim in Bridgeport was disgraced by a false accusation that she had gotten into a fight or something. She lost several friends over it, and when she and her husband went out to eat, the restaurant refused to serve her.

Yeah, you take a relationship hit with everybody in town, including your own family.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »

That's why I used go for the Stone Hearted reward early on when I had any celebrities. Now I use NRaas StoryProgression to turn off some of the false accusations. But mostly I doen't bother with the celebrity system unless I am playing a sim in the film industry.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Oh dear talk about the cat among pigeons.

@igazor I was trying for tongue in cheek but obviously failing badly :'( If anyone is guilty of stereotyping it is me. I also think "nosy parker" would be a better term.

@IreneSwift I did not realise it could be that bad but then I rarely play in Bridgeport and rarely use the celeb system for my household.

@cwaddell that's a good tip :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I completely agree that most of these celebrity "scandals" fall somewhere between silly and ridiculous, but I wonder if there's a slightly different reason behind the seemingly old fashioned standards.

Look at what now constitutes a celebrity. It would be bad form (and probably against the rules here) to name names, but I'm thinking of the reality show star/internet personality/celebrity-for-no-fathomable-reason types. Think about what it takes for those people to actually be caught in a legitimate scandal, one that has ramifications for their public standing. Sleeping around or getting into a fight is briefly intriguing, but it takes a lot worse to tank someone's repuration. Is that really the kind of thing that could be implemented in a Sims game? Would we want it? And how would that even work with the teen rating? I mean, I'd love more mature themes in TS3, but not particularly along those lines.

Or, for that matter, consider how some of these people got famous in the first place, for things like... um... a particular kind of home video. As much as I want my sims to have their fun, I don't think they need to make recordings. And I definitely wouldn't want said recordings to be available on the internet for everyone in the entire sim-world to view, no matter how famous my own sims would end up being.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    There are a lot of things in the Sims games that are silly or ridiculous. They're supposed to be funny, sometimes in a kind of warped way. They weren't meant to perfect mimics of real life. That's why it takes mods to make the game play more realistically.
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    I welcome anything that makes my sims' lives worse and less of a utopia. The losing friends part of this is kinda annoying though. I will only sue if it's part of a wish, otherwise I just ignore it.
    kwdT9wX.gif