Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What did you think about StrangerVille?

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited March 2019
    I mean, it was okay.
    I like it more than I thought I would. I'm not into that kind of thing, but I find myself craving for more content and things to do, so I got it.
    I like a few cas items, the build/buy is nice, especially the victorian items. And I really like the world. It's really beautiful, it makes me travel, since I live in France I don't get to see that type of landscape. And it makes me think of the Grand Canyon which I hope to visit someday.

The mystery was short but fun while it lasted. However
    I would like to know where the Mother plant comes from (Alien Plant, experiment gone very wrong ?)
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I absolutely loved it! Solving the mystery was so much fun!
    I haven't solved the story yet. I've been making friends, building, bugging and listening to the bugs. Plus I've been keeping my sim fit, so he works out a couple of times a day.

I'm having a blast playing it.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I mean, it was okay.
    I haven't finished the game yet as I've just been taking things slowly and enjoying the views.

I've got diverted though as I've started making Oasis Springs a peripheral zone of bunkers, trailers and grotty buildings using wallpapers and objects from the pack. There are some marvellous StrangeVille builds on the Gallery to help me. I'm glad the story doesn't carry over but my Sims might train and learn here before going in! I think I derailed my first attempt by locking the lot door!

I'm no good at rpgs but the pack is worth buying for my sandbox.
  • superkyle221superkyle221 Posts: 1,119 Member
    I'm really enjoying it - this is the first gamepack I've been excited about playing after purchasing it because there's so much to do. I really like that I can take it at my own pace - it's a bit like Jungle Adventures, which I also loved, but a lot more weird. I don't know that it's my favorite game pack, but it's up there - aside from the story, there are quite a few things I see using over again in my main save, and I love a lot of the styles that come with this.
    I don't remember how to change my signature.
  • sixdeadqueenssixdeadqueens Posts: 225 Member
    I loved it! I liked solving the mystery and love the new world and the southwestern CAS/Build/BUY items! The items alone are awesome! I'm hoping at some point they'll make stained glass windows to coordinate with the stained glass on the doors! And I loved the addition of the cowboy hat and laptop computer!
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I like it more than I thought I would. I'm not into that kind of thing, but I find myself craving for more content and things to do, so I got it.
    I like a few cas items, the build/buy is nice, especially the victorian items. And I really like the world. It's really beautiful, it makes me travel, since I live in France I don't get to see that type of landscape. And it makes me thinks of the Grand Canyon which I hope to visit someday.

I would like to know where the Mother plant comes from (Alien Plant, experiment gone very wrong ?)
    I like a few cas items, the build/buy is nice, especially the victorian items. And I really like the world. It's really beautiful, it makes me travel, since I live in France I don't get to see that type of landscape. And it makes me thinks of the Grand Canyon which I hope to visit someday.

@Dianesims Was it hard to do?
    Is that your cat, it looks just like my cat. cute

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited March 2019
    I mean, it was okay.
    Evalen wrote: »

@Dianesims Was it hard to do?
    Is that your cat, it looks just like my cat. cute

Do you mean solving the mystery ? No it's quite easy. And yes this is my cat Grisou :)
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2019
    It was terrible. I started snoring halway into it.
    It was terrible. Mediocre writing, repetitive and grindy gameplay, extremely short, no replay value whatsoever. Probably one of the worst story-driven games I've played in a long time. The only good part was the boss battle. Everything else made me facepalm so hard I hurt myself.
  • DerellaDerella Posts: 765 Member
    I mean, it was okay.
    I just finished the mystery yesterday, and it was... ok. I doubt I'll ever do it again due to how linear it is. Thinking about it now, I'm surprised by how little it adds to the game.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited March 2019
    I am disappointed in StrangerVille. I wish the mystery took a little longer.
    I like a few cas items, the build/buy is nice, especially the victorian items. And I really like the world. It's really beautiful, it makes me travel, since I live in France I don't get to see that type of landscape. And it makes me think of the Grand Canyon which I hope to visit someday.

@Dianesims
    I think she's an alien plant. I believe Mother's chamber (the octagonal 2-story room) is a spaceship that crash landed, thus causing the crater to form. Someone discovered it (maybe Ted Roswell?) and built the lab up around it.
  • GrandRailGrandRail Posts: 60 Member
    I just wish there were more lots in the central downtown area. It had so much potential but it is all set dressing...
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    This is my favorite game pack so far. The mystery gave me enough freedom to craft a story for my sim, while having some really cool tools and mechanics. It’s something that makes me actively curious about the world on the whole, and daaang I just. Love it all so much.

The world is easily my favorite despite the limited lots (although compared to midnight hollow, the only other liveable world game pack I think? It’s practically sprawling) as well. I’ve always loved sky mechanics and the skies in Strangerville are glorious.
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    I mean, it was okay.
    I enjoyed it, but it is mostly just a stuff pack to me now. I liked playing the story, but I honestly think I’d be bored playing it again (at least anytime soon). I’m not disappointed in the purchase because I like the world and objects, but it would have been nice to get a bit more use out of it.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited March 2019
    It was great!!!!

I kind of forgot to use the strangerville mystery aspiration before it was too late, but figuring out how to do things on my own was still really fun, so I don't regret it.
    And I'm definitely going to replay the story again in another savefile, with different characters. This time I know exactly how it works. This time I'll know what I'm doing.

There are several ways to go about it; my sims are characters, they have different ways to go about solving the mystery, as well as different reasons to solve the mystery in the first place. The game just provided us the basic story. It's up to us to flesh it out. It's up to us to decide how our sims deal with it. Gotta use our imagination! I love that.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
    The world is easily my favorite despite the limited lots (although compared to midnight hollow, the only other liveable world game pack I think? It’s practically sprawling) as well. I’ve always loved sky mechanics and the skies in Strangerville are glorious.

WOW. I guess that's the solution. Next EP they should include a world with 12 lots so compared to MP and Del Sol Valley it'll be "sprawling." Imagine if other gaming communities were THIS easy to please. smh :s:s
  • RobinGreenthumbRobinGreenthumb Posts: 237 Member
    edited March 2019
    Naus wrote: »

WOW. I guess that's the solution. Next EP they should include a world with 12 lots so compared to MP and Del Sol Valley it'll be "sprawling." Imagine if other gaming communities were THIS easy to please. smh :s:s

Ah yes, I, the easy to please person who didn’t even join Sims 4 or buy any of it until toddlers, swimming pools, and new gender options were all patched in. And who was making a dry, sarcastic comment about lot size in in other GPs. And who referred to amount of lots in the new world as ‘limited’ and referred to it in the negative as I liked it ‘despite’ it just before the said joke.

And who has, multiple times on the forums and elsewhere, complained about the amount of lots in Del Sol which as a EP should have higher standards of size.

lol

Advice: read the post before coming for a personal attack.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    edited March 2019
    I had more fun giving my explanation to the mistery than solving it.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'm still holding off on the final fight but have gotten up to that point and know what happens. I've currently got 3 families with at least one family member somewhere on the aspiration story. I've got bad guys that will never complete the story but go commune with the mother regularly (to get gifts.. and for story purposes).
    I know how my final fight will go basically and I also know it will start all over again.. maybe after a time of peace, maybe not.

I like the story length personally. I just use it as a tool to playing my sims the way I want to play them. Not everyone in my Strangerville is following the story in the aspiration lays out. Most are affected but most aren't playing it in any linear way. If they are they are taking it at the pace I want so I don't feel it's grindy. I don't play it grindy.

I also play multiple saves but I've basically stuck to one save except for a quick test run. I plan on playing it out differently in different saves.
    egTcBMc.png
    edited March 2019
    Ah yes, I, the easy to please person who didn’t even join Sims 4 or buy any of it until toddlers, swimming pools, and new gender options were all patched in. And who was making a dry, sarcastic comment about lot size in in other GPs. And who referred to amount of lots in the new world as ‘limited’ and referred to it in the negative as I liked it ‘despite’ it just before the said joke.

And who has, multiple times on the forums and elsewhere, complained about the amount of lots in Del Sol which as a EP should have higher standards of size.

Well, you ARE easy to please. No shame in that. You like StrangerVille (world) in spite of:
    - Having a very limited amount of lots (only 11 editable lots) and only 2 neighborhoods.
    - Having very low quality (low poly) assets like government vans and other cars that don't even have proper animations (wheels don't move).
    - Being mostly deco set dressing with very small walkable spaces.
    - Not having anything special you can't find in other worlds, besides weird purple plants and possessed Sims.
    - Premade builds being barely furnished, poorly made (and some untested for gameplay) AND they reused a BG house with minor changes.
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2019

Well, you ARE easy to please. No shame in that. You like StrangerVille (world) in spite of:
    - Having a very limited amount of lots (only 11 editable lots) and only 2 neighborhoods.
    - Having very low quality (low poly) assets like government vans and other cars that don't even have proper animations (wheels don't move).
    - Being mostly deco set dressing with very small walkable spaces.
    - Not having anything special you can't find in other worlds, besides weird purple plants and possessed Sims.
    - Premade builds being barely furnished, poorly made (and some untested for gameplay) AND they reused a BG house with minor changes.

This is a game pack, not an expansion pack. And the amount of lots in the new world reflect that. The fact that it has the same amount of lots as another expansion pack is an issue, but only because Del Sol should have had more lots. StrangerVille, however, is decent for a game pack.
    gemjas wrote: »
    This is a game pack, not an expansion pack. And the amount of lots in the new world reflect that. The fact that it has the same amount of lots as another expansion pack is an issue, but only because Del Sol should have had more lots. StrangerVille, however, is decent for a game pack.

It isn't just about the size. It's about all the points I listed that you ignored. The problem isn't necessarily the size, but quality of the world. Though world size is a huge problem in TS4.
  • N0NoTToN0NN0NoTToN0N Posts: 1,024 Member
    I mean, it was okay.
    I like it but I'll repost what I said in another thread:

When I buy anything sims I compare it to the cost of anything else entertainment related in relation to time spent and level of enjoyment. I feel I got my money's worth for how I enjoy playing the sims. But do I feel like I got the deal of a century and blown away by the pack... no. Like anything else sims since EA took over Maxis (not just TS4) it has it's disappointments. I haven't played too much (haven't even finished the story or tried the military career yet) but I'm not sucked in to the story. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I was hoping for a bit more of a spark of interest.

So far my biggest disappointment is how little there is to do. I understand not having fishing spots but I was hoping for more collectibles at least. Click, click, click and for the most part I can make my sim walk somewhere. Of course there are the townies, and I do love them but I usually prefer interacting with my own played sims (I play rotationally) so I'm not sure how much I'll get out of them outside of the story.

Is strangerville beautiful? Yes!
    But too much window dressing for me. Take the trailer park. Freaking Adorable! Absolutely wasted space outside of the story. They couldn't have at least throw some collectibles around?!

I wouldn't mind the option to expand the infection/story to other worlds.
    Speaking of the infection. I was disappointed about how short lived it was. I got one of my sims infected and it went away before I could even do any of the interactions.

I'm also in the camp that's not thrilled with the ratio of what I would consider too specific build/buy objects (ex: lab deco) vs new basics (cough, cough... counters).

I'm looking forward to finishing the story, trying out the military career and I do like the buy/build catalog...it'll be a good town for bowling alley, but I'm not overwhelmed with excitement.
    19172275569_bb0181ed75.jpgGingerThyme; by T Reece, on Flickr
  • gemjasgemjas Posts: 211 Member
    edited March 2019
    gemjas wrote: »

It isn't just about the size. It's about all the points I listed that you ignored. The problem isn't necessarily the size, but quality of the world. Though world size is a huge problem in TS4.

Lol, you just mocked someone else about being happy with the world due to its size a few posts ago. The size seemed to be your main issue.

But still, the other critiques you had tie in with your issue with size. For example, it's mostly set dressing because it's not meant to be on par with expansion pack worlds. There's nothing "special," if you don't count the lab, because it's a game pack world. The builds are a nonissue entirely, since most players replace them anyway. As for quality, that's a valid critique, but it's not something that I particularly noticed or cared about. Complaining that the wheels on vehicles don't move is a bit nitpicky.

I was disappointed with several aspects of the pack, but the world was not one of them. In fact, it's one of the few highlights. You're comparing StrangerVille with expansion pack worlds, for some reason.
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    I had a good time with the mystery, even if it took me a while to figure out some steps.

Next time I play through it I’ll probably take more time and spend more time exploring and stuff. Get the sim a journal so I can have an excuse to try writing diary entries about it or something. I’ll probably play as an alien who got really unlucky in choosing her human town.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I haven't played it through yet but overall like it.