Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it possible to go into build mode in the Secret Lab?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    Isn’t the issue partially that you could repeat the mystery multiple times in the same save if you wanted to?
  • Options
    kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    you can, but most people seem to do a 'one and done' playthrough with it... if they even go that far (i've played through it at least 5 times in one save and have plans to go through with a spellcaster now at some point in the future)

you can now go into build mode with the lab, but it needs a mod by twistedmexi to do so... i keep meaning to do so just to change the surface part (and maybe add a few more wings down below, without messing with the original layout, just in case. probably putting stuff from get to work in)
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    At least we have his mod now! That guy's a genius and first class bacon-saver!
  • Options
    JulianneALeeJulianneALee Posts: 109 Member
    gettps wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Can't you do that if you say after work ?
    I know, I REALLY want to modify the Get-Famous movie lots.

Problem with the movie lot is there is actually dozens of them. With every new acting gig set and fame level, there's a different lot. Every time you go there, the lot is wiped and re-loaded with a new one. That's how they change the lots with new sets each time. Have an acting gig in the medieval set? the lot is wiped and loaded with the medieval lot. Have one in the captain sigma set? the lot is wiped and re-loaded with that set.

Any changes you make to the lot get wiped out when a new set is loaded. Bummer huh?

Actually, that's pretty much how it is on a real sound stage. One week it's got the office of an evil overlord, and the next week you're looking at a cabin in the woods. These sound stages are okay, but the corners should be darker. And there should be catwalks overhead.
    Julianne Lee
    Simmer since 2001
  • Options
    JulianneALeeJulianneALee Posts: 109 Member
    Oh, I forgot... are those chemical analyzers from the secret lab available in build mode to use on any other lot? I did the bb.showhiddenobjects and for the life of me I still can find it.

The chemical analyzers are rewards for the scientist career.
    Julianne Lee
    Simmer since 2001
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited October 2019
    Hejix wrote: »
    I want to use the lab for Strangerville scientists... How did you do that?

Do you mean the secret lab or the science lab?

The secret lab, I don't think you can. The entire lot is restricted, even from bb.enablefreebuild.

The science lab, you can assign specific NPCs to the science career and they MIGHT show up to the lab, but not all scientists. I've assigned a few NPCs to the science lab, but they don't always show up. There's 6 total job slots(including you). Out of the 5 remaining, only three show up at a time, but the game decides which three. If you have less than 5 assigned the career, the game will just pick more until all 5 slots are filled.

I might have the numbers wrong. It might be 6/4 instead of 5/3. Forget off-hand.

To assign someone to the science career, you'll have to remove someone else first.

Click on the sim you want to remove (they have to be actively played)
    careers.remove_career career_adult_active_scientist

Supposedly you can also do it like this:
    sims.get_sim_id_by_name Bella Goth
    [returns a number]
    careers.remove_career career_adult_active_scientist xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But that method, using the simID is EXTREMELY flaky and almost never works. It's much easier to just play as the NPC, and use the first method.

To assign the career, make the sim you want in the career active, then:
    careers.add_career career_adult_active_scientist

I used that method to add Bella Goth, Lily Feng, and several others so I'd have them on the science lab lot.

But remember, the science lab lot and career are severely broken anyway.

It is mostly fixed now. I have been playing the Science career all week. Some of the plants are slow to regenerate - and sometimes it takes several tries to do some jobs - but they will do eventually.

The cloning machine gives me a a headache a lot - it takes several tries to get it to clone right and does waste a lot of time. Then it gives me trouble picking up the items at time - but it will work eventually.

The only thing I have had no success at is getting plants on Sixam to grow. My Sim just got there a couple days ago - so I am hoping it straightens out too.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    It is a pain, can't create a rose perfume serum to save my life because of the plants being messed up. I had to get my scientist sim to his house, use the cheat to show hidden objects and place a rose and a rose perfume serum via build mode. Then I cloned them a few times and voila. I'm sure there are easier ways, but this is the one I could think of. The devs need to concentrate on fixing these bugs before even thinking on starting another extension or pack, it's just annoying. And don't get me started on vampires not being able to use dark meditation... ugh!

I had my sim plant a rose bush at the science lab and have no issue making it.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    MsShaShaMsShaSha Posts: 52 Member
    edited November 2019
    I came here hoping for answers, cheats or workarounds and am met with serious disappointment.... We seriously can't even edit the secret lab with cheats?!?!

I've played thru that story in three saves, one just to make it stop (them doing the zombie walk, etc). I was REALLY hoping to turn the one in my "Alt Universe" save into a very wealthy aliens home, and an "abandoned gov facility hangout/club" in another save. Buuuut, it's just a huge dead lot instead, huh? 😢

uwxwhgf
    I build things some times. Origin ID: MsShaSha
  • Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    Also looking to edit this lot. Any updates on that?
    They could just give us cheats to do so. I mean, not everyone wants to have and even play with that lab and since we have so less lots and too many restrictions, giving us cheats that demolish the entire story of strangerville that just leaves us with the world and objects, would be great for the other side of the players who like the world just for what it is.
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    I'd really like the choice to edit it/delete it, so I can use it how I want to! Even if it came with a warning to say, "From now on, in this save, you will never be able to revive The Mother...I'd be totally good with that! I played it through once, it was interesting and different, but I have zero desire to play through it again, in any save, because I've already done it! It has zero replay value for me, so I'd love the option to be able to use the lot for something that makes my game better - I love the world, and there are so few lots generally anyway, I'd love to be able to use it!