Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why, after more than four years, do sims still lack distinctive personalities? (and other issues)

Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
edited March 2019 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Unique personalities is one of the biggest selling points of this game, so why do sims feel like clones and not actual individuals? I am surprised that there has been no major update to sims personalities as it's very bland and shallow. It's literally the focal point of the game, make unique sims and then play with them in a sandbox world. I am not an avid player of TS4 because it really does lack the depth of character that we should be seeing from sims. I am not suggesting implementing some ridiculously complex "AI" that makes them indistinguishable from real humans. Just a few things that would really boost the game at its core.

More trait and trait slots
I find three trait slots to be pointlessly limiting, having more slots would allow us to flesh out our sims a little more when creating their stories. There are not nearly enough traits in the game. Why isn't there a socially awkward trait in a game that is so heavily focused around social interaction? (would be shocked if it didn't come in an education based pack :o )

Meaningful traits and likes/dislikes
Traits seem to add little to sims personalities and I think this is partly because there is very little distinction between what sims do and do not like, making their behaviour very similar. To illustrate, what is the difference between a sim with the bookworm trait and a sim just reading a book? Apart from a few interactions not much really. Another thing, every sim I create should not run straight to the computer to go and play BlicBlock, or pick up the nearest book. Not everybody plays video games or reads books, sims should be no different. Having the ability to control likes and dislikes would also give way to more meaningful social interactions. It feels so easy to build relationships in this game, there is just no challenge to it.

Interesting and challenging dating
Dating in the sims 4 is incredibly bland because any relationship is possible. Although I have never played TS2 the chemistry system sounds like so much fun. Maybe having turn ons/offs be purely physical and have traits and likes/dislikes dictate whether personalities are compatible would be good. To add some extra spice there could be an "opposites attract" type jig, were sims could work out their differences and get into a relationship or if they are already married, go to counselling and that could also be a new career. Ooooh they should call it the "compatibility system"! I saw something about fears too not sure from which iteration but the ideas of scared about first kisses or whatever it was I saw (I am sorry it was very brief what I saw) just sounds like it would add so much character to sims. So, you know, if their worst fear actually happens new interactions can open up for your sim to deal with them or affect them long term etc.

Emotions
I think it is fair that players keep asking for a scared emotion. It would add so much to the game if when sims see a ghost or a fire they get scared. Tense really doesn't cut it. Also constant happiness from some adequate furniture is just ridiculous at this point. Sims should be fine by default unless they have the gloomy or cheerful trait or something, but nice furniture seems to override everything, so hey lol.

I think all of the above (or something like this) would be enough to make sims feel unique, like what is advertised because at this moment it does not do what it says on the tin. I see many posts where players say they would like to see certain life stages be more fleshed out and I think that this would go a long way into helping that and allow for more powerful story telling.

---

Careers/Jobs

My next issue is careers. I feel like the game is desperately lacking in variety when it comes to jobs. I think so many opportunities where missed for DLC's like Spa Day and Dine Out not adding in new active careers like Yoga Instructor, and working as a chef in your own restaurant. I understand that Game Packs are smaller but it still baffles me that some of these aren't included or at least something like them.

Job types
I would like to see sims in jobs that do not offer any substantial job progression like a barmaid at a dive bar. It would also be cool if you could work as a plumber or maid, so you would go to sims homes to clean or to fix burst pipes and so on. Then maybe that could lead to your sim gossiping around town about all the things your sim has seen whilst working at other sims homes.

There are more things but I can't think of them right now.

Edit
I keep seeing things from players saying they think it would be to difficult to implement. I say, how so? We already have a system that works similarly to what I suggest in Get Together with the club system. So you can choose what activities sims will and will not do in said club. And if I am not mistaken the chemistry system was added as an expansion to TS2 and was not part of the base game. So my point still stands, there is no evidence to suggest that these things cannot be implemented in some sense, other than the developers just not wanting it in the game.

Post edited by Remy_Geneva on

Comments

• AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I'm honestly hoping that they'll do this in the Sims 5, since at this point, I really do not think they'll add it in TS4. I just feel like it would involve altering too many game mechanics and at 5 years into TS4, I just don't see them being willing to do that because of those factors. I'm sorry, I really don't mean to rain on your parade, I really do like these ideas but if there's a chance that at least some of these will be executed, TS5 is probably going to be that chance.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    Because the team seems to think spending time on things like an Alexa feature is more important than improving the actual gameplay.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2019
    I think as far as personalities go, they made a mistake when they tied emotions to random auras and made them identical for each and every sim. I think the initial idea was an interesting one and I really like how an emotion can rule a sim in this version for a while, but they overlooked the importance of traits and how they shouldn’t be overwritten. Plus for me most of the time I just want to get rid of a certain emotion because it doesn’t make any sense, there is no correlation to what’s happening to them. And it’s just strange that when they’re flirty, they fancy any sim they meet, and when they’re angry they’re angry with everyone. That’s not how it worked and that’s not how it works.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member
    I agree. They desperately need to do a personality overhaul. This way we get A Lot of gameplay to last us months. A drought will feel less like a drought that way
  • Remy_GenevaRemy_Geneva Posts: 142 Member
    I agree. They desperately need to do a personality overhaul. This way we get A Lot of gameplay to last us months. A drought will feel less like a drought that way
    This is exactly what I'm talking about, can you imagine the gameplay possibilities if the sims actually felt like individuals. Also, I agree that auras seem to overwrite sim emotions even when it make no sense.

I think it's fine the developers trying new things and making new packs, however the foundation of the sims (the sims themselves) just feels so empty and hollow. I feel like the developers are ignoring this glaring issue that has been mentioned here and elsewhere over and over and over again. An update or pack (whatever) to sims personalities would be completely game changing.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    One can only hopes, there were already too many people wanting this personality and trait system to be overhauled I know it isn't easy job but it feels like that the dev arent event listening.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I agree with everything, it's been stated a hundred times here. But game is almost five years old, I think they have no interest in any of this or we would have seen it by now. It's not like before where we could expect several new aspirations, traits, new skills, new talents etc. with each new pack. I fear this is never going to be improved and frankly I'm tired of asking.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2019
    Thank's god! 🙏 I had the feeling I was the only one begging for more depth on personalities. We desperately need an overhaul on personalities. All the things you said are true.

The amount of traits now is just ridiculous! Every traits should have an opposite. In GF we got a sort of selfish trait so why is there not the opposite? And talking about traits they are so insignificant. A looner sim will talk to everybody, just like a social sim. A neat sim will be friend with a dirty sim. In CL they added a cold trait, but it doesn't change anything, they can be seduced like every other sims. The state of traits and behaviour of our sims is just overwhelming... *sigh*

Now talking about dating/relationships/friendships etc, again the state of the game is awful. After insulting a sim you'll get a message like "I had a great time, see you next time!" *Moment of silence*, it just doesn't make any sense! Why, just why? Why can't we get something like "It was awful, don't recall me!" ? It's so easy to add... I agree that dating is so easy. I think we shouldn't be able to ask to be girlfriend/boyfriend the first sim day, it would make a little bit more complicated. We also need an attraction system to make the game spicier. Another thing that annoys me, with the charisma skill we have the possibility to ask for money to sims but if we don't bring it back there's just no consequences. Why? The friendship with the sim should slowly decrease until being enemies.

For emotions the base emotion should be fine instead of happy. I'm so tired of decorated houses now. But I don't have any hope with this considering all the impactful happy moodlet they add with dlcs. We need a scared emotion too. A sim with bad emotions should fail more often. For example they shouldn't be able to cook amazing food when they are angry etc. I just thing that Maxis don't understand that in a sims game it's little details that make a big difference...

Talking about jobs it's more than awful. If I only had those possibilities of works in real life I would have killed myself. Why is there such a big lack of career? That's not hard to add basic stuff : lawyer, teacher, vendor, dentist, electrician, educator etc... There's so much to do!

I really hope they are working on better personalities cause it's a disaster at this point. The game just can't stay interesting if the sims themselves aren't. It's maybe the reason why we feel like we'll die when there's a month without a patch or dlc. There's a lot of simmers who don't notice that the lack of personalities is the reason why they feel so bored. Even me before, I knew that something was wrong with TS4, I didn't know why it was so boring after 30 minutes but now I know. I looked carefuly TS2 to understand why it was so immersive and I discovered that it's the fact that each sim is unique, with different fears and whims.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    @Jordan061102 I agree with you 100%. I think a lot of the boredom comes from sims feeling like clones.

I am hoping they really take notice, because after more than four years of this with no significant improvements, its just shocking. Maybe they have something in the works, but since TS4 has been out for so long, I would have assumed that this issue would have at least been spoken about by the developers (maybe it has and I am misinformed?). It is a little concerning that whilst the they create new packs with linear stories (I have no problems with new content ideas), one of the fundamental selling points of this game remains an empty shell.

Other than this what can we do to get their attention?
    edited March 2019
    @Jordan061102 I agree with you 100%. I think a lot of the boredom comes from sims feeling like clones.

I am hoping they really take notice, because after more than four years of this with no significant improvements, its just shocking. Maybe they have something in the works, but since TS4 has been out for so long, I would have assumed that this issue would have at least been spoken about by the developers (maybe it has and I am misinformed?). It is a little concerning that whilst the they create new packs with linear stories (I have no problems with new content ideas), one of the fundamental selling points of this game remains an empty shell.

We need to make noise. @SimGuruNinja is aware cause he responded to one of my thread about it. I just hope he did something with this at least.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    @Jordan061102 I agree about making noise, it just seems like players are more interested in getting witches, university and freeing babies from cribs. I have no problems with any of those things, but for me the sims will remain boring until sims get some personality enhancements.
  • CeCeDotCeCeDot Posts: 230 Member

We need to make noise. @SimGuruNinja is aware cause he responded to one of my thread about it. I just hope he did something with this at least.

Could you link it? I would love to see his answer!
  • TopNotchToddlerTopNotchToddler Posts: 190 Member
    [...]
    [...]
    [...]
    [...]
    Emotions
    [...]
    I can only agree with every single point you made there.
    I'm honestly hoping that they'll do this in the Sims 5, since at this point, I really do not think they'll add it in TS4.[...]

Now that is what really frustrates me. The wish for more personality is as old as TS4 itself, but what do we get? Some EP/GP/SP every few weeks, but we still have musical chairs and sims without personality. I get it, DLC pays the rent, but the more fundamental problems remain untouched. So why bother buying packs for TS4 anymore for the next two years?

Are they holding back just to make us hungry for TS5? For me to even spend a single cent on TS5 they first have to prove that they can do it with TS4.
    [...]
    [...]
    [...]
    [...]
    Emotions
    [...]
    I can only agree with every single point you made there.
    I'm honestly hoping that they'll do this in the Sims 5, since at this point, I really do not think they'll add it in TS4.[...]

Now that is what really frustrates me. The wish for more personality is as old as TS4 itself, but what do we get? Some EP/GP/SP every few weeks, but we still have musical chairs and sims without personality. I get it, DLC pays the rent, but the more fundamental problems remain untouched. So why bother buying packs for TS4 anymore for the next two years?

Are they holding back just to make us hungry for TS5? For me to even spend a single cent on TS5 they first have to prove that they can do it with TS4.

Darn right! I would not support a 5th iteration of this game because their is no proof whatsoever it would be an improvement, when TS4 remains in this state.

I want EA to deliver the unique Sims they talk about on the TS4 store page.

edited March 2019
    CeCeDot wrote: »

Could you link it? I would love to see his answer!

Yep. I'm one mobile so I can't do it properly sorry but here is the link to the thread. https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/954487/better-personalities-ideas#latest
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited March 2019
    @Jordan061102 I agree about making noise, it just seems like players are more interested in getting witches, university and freeing babies from cribs. I have no problems with any of those things, but for me the sims will remain boring until sims get some personality enhancements.

Yeah I know... they don't realise that their witches, babies etc will stay boring without better personalities..
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I’d like more traits too. Three is not enough. What about at least 5 ?

Likes and dislikes could be nice too. And I could use more choice. “Rebellious” for teens for instance.
  • JPsimmerJPsimmer Posts: 109 Member
    I 1000% agree. I will add my voice, too. (I have actually stopped buying packs while the game is in this state)

I posted my ideas in another thread, but maybe they're relevant here too.

I would love to be able to fine tune certain default behaviors/interests to each Sim via their Simology panel. By default, all the default actions should reflect their traits. But imagine if we can set certain options and rules?

EG:

Physical contact [LOVE/HATE/NEUTRAL]
    Love = Sim tends to give out hugs more often and autonomously.
    Hate = Sim usually rejects hugs etc. Unless with their family/lovers/best friends. Repeated hugs start to annoy and will be rejected.
    Neutral = Default behaviour

Public displays of affection [LOVE/HATE/NEUTRAL]
    Love = Sim more likely to accept/perform public displays of affection. Gains moodlets when witnessing it.
    Hate = Sim always rejects kissing/hugs in public. Repulsed & negative relationship to others doing it.
    Neutral = Default to relationship level

INESERT SIM NAME [LOVE/HATE/NEUTRAL]
    Love= Your Sim just seems to get on with this Sim. Interactions are always positive and successful with this Sim.
    Hate = Your Sim just doesn't get on with this Sim at all. Interactions are always negative or unsuccessful with this Sim. Nothing seems to bring them together.

Technology [LOVE/HATE/NEUTRAL]
    Love = Sim uses computers/smartphone autonomously and gains more fun and moodlets from it. Talks about technology. Gets on with others with this interest.
    Hate= Sim never autonomously uses computers/smartphones. Doesn't get on with others who love technology. Gains negative mood if forced too much.
    Neutral = Default behaviour.

Television [LOVE/HATE/NEUTRAL]
    Love = Watches TV & movies more often autonomously. Talks about TV shows. Positive moodlets etc
    Hate = Rarely watches TV autonomously. Gets bored if made to. Doesn't get on with TV addicts.

I could go on and on. I think this could be a system that may be implemented into the current game and would arguably be a better interests and traits system than ever before. And imagine mod support. :open_mouth:
  • Bagoas77Bagoas77 Posts: 3,064 Member
    I'm honestly hoping that they'll do this in the Sims 5, since at this point, I really do not think they'll add it in TS4. I just feel like it would involve altering too many game mechanics and at 5 years into TS4, I just don't see them being willing to do that because of those factors. I'm sorry, I really don't mean to rain on your parade, I really do like these ideas but if there's a chance that at least some of these will be executed, TS5 is probably going to be that chance.

I agree. It feels like ts4 is just being milked at this point. I dearly hope we get some kind of news about how ts5 is going to be implemented soon. If it's just more of the same, then I'm done.
    Sims 5 really isn't relevant here. I have said over and over again, TS4 advertises "unique personalities" and that is something that needs to be delivered in this iteration of the game. Why would I want to support the next iteration if TS4 is left as a hollow shell?
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    There are an OKAY amount of traits for TS4 but the problem is... they don’t do anything. They dont show their personality at all, every sim seems the same because they didn’t put enough detail into each trait and it shows. TS3 I could talk to and watch a sim for awhile and be able to tell you probably at least half of their traits. You truly felt like it shaped who your sim was. Even in TS2, with the zodiac signs they’d be more prone to do stuff, be mean, if they were more lazy they’d get tired faster, active sims get hungrier faster. Turn-on and turn-offs effected how other sims viewed you. They didn’t even have actual TRAITS and the sims were more unique.
    edited March 2019
    There are an OKAY amount of traits for TS4 but the problem is... they don’t do anything. They dont show their personality at all, every sim seems the same because they didn’t put enough detail into each trait and it shows. TS3 I could talk to and watch a sim for awhile and be able to tell you probably at least half of their traits. You truly felt like it shaped who your sim was. Even in TS2, with the zodiac signs they’d be more prone to do stuff, be mean, if they were more lazy they’d get tired faster, active sims get hungrier faster. Turn-on and turn-offs effected how other sims viewed you. They didn’t even have actual TRAITS and the sims were more unique.

Yeah traits don't do anything, I'm sure if they made TS4 with or without those traits it would be exactly the same way, despite the stupid moodlets.

@Remy_Geneva I totally agree that TS5 has nothing to do with it. That's in this iteration they promised smarter sims, so after almost 5 years it's maybe time to add one of the key feature said about the game that isn't even right, don't you think Maxis?

Lu4ERme.gif
    Sims 5 really isn't relevant here. I have said over and over again, TS4 advertises "unique personalities" and that is something that needs to be delivered in this iteration of the game. Why would I want to support the next iteration if TS4 is left as a hollow shell?
    Because I don't think they can do it for Sims 4. Because they made emotions the focus and the emotions overrule any personality a sim might have. And I'd be surprised if they would be able to change that drastically. Not least because that wouldn't be fair to those who like that about the game.

5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Because I don't think they can do it for Sims 4. Because they made emotions the focus and the emotions overrule any personality a sim might have. And I'd be surprised if they would be able to change that drastically. Not least because that wouldn't be fair to those who like that about the game.

My point still stands, why support a game that does not deliver on features that are advertised as part of the game. I don't understand why so many seem to believe that TS5 is the answers to every issue with TS4, that doesn't make any sense.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

My point still stands, why support a game that does not deliver on features that are advertised as part of the game. I don't understand why so many seem to believe that TS5 is the answers to every issue with TS4, that doesn't make any sense.
    Oh, that I agree with. I'd have to learn a whole lot about a Sims 5 and like what I see before I would ever buy it. What I meant is, for me it's not a question of 'they have to fix it in Sims 4 first before they can start even thinking about a Sims 5'. If it can't be done in Sims 4 and they would be able and willing to pull it off in a Sims 5, I'd go for that option. Sims 4 is what it is, we'll have to accept that.
    5JZ57S6.png