Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did you successfully manage to do a RPG character in the Sims?

Have you tried to make a RPG character in the Sims? Have you succeeded?

Tell me your story. :)

I tried many times. Either it lacks epicness and I get bored, or the character looks so unlike its original version that it becomes something completely different.

I'm still trying again and again, because I feel I want to know more about these characters and what their daily life is (which I feel is only possible in the Sims).

What about you?
I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...

Comments

• Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm not sure what you mean by RPG character. Do you mean from an RPG game like from the Final Fantasy Series? I think most simmers are Sims-only gamers, meaning The Sims franchise is the only computer game they play, or the one they play the most to the point that other games they play are peripheral so they might not know a lot of RPG characters. It would be nice if someone made a sim version of Geralt of Rivia (from The Witcher series) though.

There are some really good sim creators out there however. I know of one who made the Scooby-Doo characters who look very much like the originals!

I also don't know what you mean be epicness?

I made a female sim once that was a beautiful demon with cyan eyes. She's actually of the fairy occult life-state, but I gave her dragon wings (from a mod I found at Mod the Sims) and colored them black. Her entire wardrobe was in black. I gave her the evil and kleptomaniac traits. She was also in the Assassin career, and she killed a lot of sims in the course of her career (I had to use the NRaas Register mod to allow immigration to the town so she doesn't empty it out of sims!) and other evil shenanigans.

When she finished the assassin career, I changed her story. I had her fall in love with a handsome sim who turns out to be an angel. He's also, of course of the fairy occult-state, with angel wings (another mod from Mod the Sims) colored white. I gave him the good trait and a medical career. She loved him so much that she wanted to give up being a demon and become an angel (demons are fallen angels after all). It was more difficult than I anticipated to change the wing color but I succeeded eventually. I had her work for the LTR to change her trait from evil to good, and kleptomaniac to something else (I can't remember what though). They had a child before her transformation, but she had her father's white angel wings and her mom's beautiful cyan eyes! And they lived happily ever after!

I deleted that save game when I finished the story, but I saved the demon sim to the bin. I might dig her up again and play her. If so I'll post a pic of her!
    Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Options
    Emily4331Emily4331 Posts: 10,850 Member
    I once made a highly recommended Sylvanas Windrunner sim...alas, I went insane and deleted everything in my studio a few years ago so she's dead now. :lol: Well, dead for good. :tongue:
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member
    Emily4331 wrote: »
    I once made a highly recommended Sylvanas Windrunner sim...alas, I went insane and deleted everything in my studio a few years ago so she's dead now. :lol: Well, dead for good. :tongue:

Yay, a WoW cbaracter... :) I wish I had of seen her in your studio before deleting everything.
  • Options
    Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    I haven’t tried Vampires in this game but, looking at their abilities, you could probably make a good representation of a toreador or a ventrue from Vampire The Masquerade.
  • Options
    @lisasc360 You're in luck! :smiley:

So this was back in 2012. :astonished: I made a whole thread about making WoW chars, in fact. :tongue:

Sylvanas:
    Screenshot-1179.jpg?t=1349845995

Varian Wrynn:
    Screenshot-1182.jpg?t=1350016576

And an original character of another simmer:
    Screenshot-1189.jpg?t=1350104741

Another original char:
    Screenshot-1194.jpg?t=1350194778

Ahh memories. :lol:
  • Options
    edited February 2019

So this was back in 2012. :astonished: I made a whole thread about making WoW chars, in fact. :tongue:

Sylvanas:

Varian Wrynn:

Another original char:

These are great! I wish you didn't delete your studio! Please save a copy of your sims somewhere safe from now on!
  • Options
    @ClarionOfJoy Hah! I do backup my sims these days, but I just never thought of it back then I guess.
  • Options
    @ClarionOfJoy Hah! I do backup my sims these days, but I just never thought of it back then I guess.

At least you have the pictures! They were really great! Thanks for posting them!
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,286 Member

Sylvanas:

Varian Wrynn:

Another original char:

@Emily4331, these are so cool... :) Thanks for sharing the pictures of them... :)
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    edited February 2019
    @ClarionOfJoy By rpg character, I mean a role playing game character you create such as a hero in a d&d game or any customizable character out there. Wow character could work too. The witcher too (lover trait?) I might also have included your favorite tv show character, but not in the modern setting. By epicness, I mean, in games they usually save the world, in sims, well, they eat... And sleep... And pee. It's not that bad but the contrast is sometimes extreme. Thanks for sharing your story. You managed to use the fey wings as angel. And how you used the mod to repopulate your town. Cool way to use the npcs... (Targets) However, when it is too customized, it often ends up as a short one shot deal... Although it requires so much set up and preparation! Is it worth it?

@Satanu_Reeves True, vampires are probably the best represented in the occult creatures. I never played Mascarade, but one of my companion is an undead. I may make her with it.

@Emily4331 Cool characters! The question though is, have you ever played them? How did it turn out? ;)
  • Options
    @Hejix thanks :tongue: Haha I have not, no. I strive for realism in my gameplay, so I don't play supernaturals or medieval characters much. I typically stick to the realistic modern era formula, save for a few vampire saves over the years. :smile:
  • Options
    Hejix wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy By rpg character, I mean a role playing game character you create such as a hero in a d&d game or any customizable character out there. Wow character could work too. The witcher too (lover trait?) I might also have included your favorite tv show character, but not in the modern setting. By epicness, I mean, in games they usually save the world, in sims, well, they eat... And sleep... And pee. It's not that bad but the contrast is sometimes extreme. Thanks for sharing your story. You managed to use the fey wings as angel. And how you used the mod to repopulate your town. Cool way to use the npcs... (Targets) However, when it is too customized, it often ends up as a short one shot deal... Although it requires so much set up and preparation! Is it worth it?

I actually like planning and setting things up. I think I'm a tinkerer at heart so all that preparation is kind of fun for me. I think of a story for my sims and I consider, "What do I need to set this about? Oh that mod would be good. This furniture would fit the time period. Oh, these clothes would reflect my sim's personality," etc. etc. I consider all of that part of my gameplay.

Yeah, it can be difficult to have an RPG goal of saving the world because the Sims isn't naturally set up for it, but I think you can do it to some extent. One of the challenges I love playing, for example, is a zombie apocalypse scenario. The NRaas Vector mod can start zombie outbreaks, but it can generate other outbreaks of illness as well. But anyway, my favorite zombie apocalypse challenge has you trying to find a cure. You can start out with up to 8 sims as your initial group to forage, to garden, fish and do research on the cure. Whenever you're outside you home lot, there is the risk of encountering zombies. The zombie virus the mod provides can be very infectious so you have to be careful not let them touch you when you're trying to kill them. There are lots of fun and creative ways to kill them, but there's also a gun mod that provides a pistol and rifle (for longer range shots) so that you don't get infected.

An RPG aspect to the challenge is leveling up skills such as Athletic, Handy, Logic, Gardening. When you start the challenge, you have no electricty or water - so you can't have anything with electricity and you can only have a toilet, but if you level up your handy and logic skills to certain levels, certain electrical and bathroom objects can be added to your lot. Gardening to higher levels will allow you to have cheese and meat. You can add other stuff from the beginning to make it more fun. I like adding cows and chickens from the Sims 3 store, as well as the beehive from Supernatural.

Once you find the cure, make 8 potions to cure 8 zombies. The rest you have to kill off. The original challenge didn't specify who to save, so for me, I chose to save people who have children (children are immune to the zombie virus) so that the children aren't left orphaned.

It's also increases the challenge if you choose to take care of the children during the outbreak and before discovering the cure, and there are many ways to set that up as well. The easiest way is to add them to your household and bring them to your lot. Or you can make food at home and leave them the food at their homes. Babies I automatically take in. In a previous game, before I had made a decision to protect the parents and I was just killing zombies randomly, I saw a zombie taking care of a baby that wasn't the natural parent - I then realized I killed both of the baby's parents! That upset me a bit! So that's when I made that rule. I didn't kill the zombie taking care of the baby, so he was one of the zombies I cured.

When that is done, you can repopulate the town either with NRaas mods, or by adding your own. You can start a colony challenge from the end of this zombie apocalypse challenge.

So that is an example of saving the world, but yes, IT DOES take a lot of preparation. It IS very fun though and I think all that effort is worth it!

You just have to come up with a scenario where something goes wrong with the world (example: zombie virus strikes everyone in town). Then think of a way to solve that problem (example: find cure, save 8 zombies, kill the rest). I think if you look at the challenges posted here and at Mod the Sims, you can get some great ideas and make your own!

----

In terms of making RPG characters, I'm just not very good at it. As a matter of fact, I'm not good at all at making sims. I just make what I can from whatever is already there in CAS. The only CC I have is a Navetsea replacement default skin and a few hairstyles, so I really like what other people have made.
  • Options
    GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    edited February 2019
    I've done a few: I know you said games, but I consider characters from movies/games RPG.

Beetlejuice
    headshot_original.jpg

Sten the Qunari from Dragon Age Origins
    headshot_original.jpg

Morrigan Wilds from Dragon Age Origins
    https://lvlt.thesims3.com/sims3_asset/sims3_asset/thumb/shard000/000/072/709/89/headshot_original.jpg

headshot_original.jpg
    Prince Adam from Beauty and the Beast.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    Well, I haven't played D&D in ages, so I don't have characters to be created.

A few years ago, I created a sim based on a character I created for The Elder Scrolls Oblivion.

47214334951_9e32f4bc8d_c.jpg

He kind of escaped from Cyrodiil and started living in Dragon Valley with two friends. I wish I could find the screenshots. It was fun at first, but I ended up stopping too soon. I still have the household and I may play with them later. I just don't have supernaturals installed.
  • Options
    @thuggishsplicer Very cool sim! So, you haven't deleted the save. Good! I usually tend to play these in really short bursts as well. But contrarily to you, I delete them. :open_mouth: I shall not, would save me time. ;P

@GraceyManor Nice! So, how did the game play turned out? Whenever I create something too precise, it usually clashes with the Sims game... (I shall play Dragon Origins too one day, supposedly it's pretty good).

@ClarionOfJoy Wow, thanks for the zombie idea! I shall give it a shot. I'm more of a storyteller than tinkerer so I often rush the setting. That's why I like premade families a lot! :P
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Hejix wrote: »
    @ClarionOfJoy Wow, thanks for the zombie idea! I shall give it a shot. I'm more of a storyteller than tinkerer so I often rush the setting. That's why I like premade families a lot! :P

Here is the challenge I build my zombie apocalypse games from:

Zombie Apocalypse - The most realistic possible

I use this mod to make the zombies more dangerous:

More Dangerous Zombies

They attack sims more instead of plants and the zombie state is permanent (there's a non-permanent flavor though). It can only be cured with a potion. It works well together with the NRaas Vector mod.

Rules
    You don't have to follow the rules closely - you can modify or subtract any of the rules, or add any new ones of your own. When I started playing this challenge, I made it quite easy for myself until I was very familiar with how the game plays and then made the gameplay more difficult afterward.

Worlds
    There are custom worlds out there that were designed for apocalypse challenges, but any world will do. I just use regular worlds so nothing looks run down - that's just my preference.

Seasons
    You can play with Seasons loaded to make it more difficult. The apocalypse starts in spring which will give you time to grow crops until winter - by then you should have plenty of harvest to tide you over that season up until the first crop's harvest in spring. You can also choose to make this harder by starting the challenge in fall or winter.

Scavenging and Building
    You start out with very little, not even proper furniture where you live so you need to scavenge for furniture or build them. Your scavengers should have the kleptomaniac trait to steal from residential lots. If you have Ambitions loaded, you can use a sculpting station to make some of the furniture and the inventing station for useful gadgets. You can sell what you don't need through inventory and then use that money to buy furniture you can't get any other way. Of course, you're going to need to go to the junkyard to get scrap to build these things. Place it as far away from your home if you want to make it more difficult. Or closer to make it easier for yourself. Also there's a mod to make some salvaged items actually usable for your own home:

Salvaged Junkyard Objects Made Usable

Zombie Encounters
    You can follow the zombie encounter rules but I choose not to follow it. The reason for that is sometimes, a zombie attack notification pops up while your sim is traveling in the world, which makes your sim stop travelling towards his/her destination, but you can't see where the zombie is in your location. It turns out that the zombie is miles away! So I just close the notification and continue on my way. It's annoying and I wish I knew how to mod so I can get rid of that notification. I only engage zombies in combat when they are actually in my sim's path or in the area of, regardless of my sim's athletic skill level.

Tracking Zombies
    The challenge doesn't specify, but I use the NRaas Tagger mod to keep track of the zombies in the world. It's a bit cheaty though since you know where they are at any given moment, unlike in a real zombie apocalypse. But when you are at the phase when you need to wipe them out, this mod comes in so handy and makes it easier to know whether you've completely wiped them out or not.

Saved Zombies
    Part of the challenge is to save 8 zombies for the cure, that you need to take care of in the meanwhile. I honestly found this to be difficult so I never really tried. I just let them roam around the world until it's time to cure them (after all the other zombies are killed off). I might try to do this again in future play-throughs though. I've seen a let's play of someone who brilliantly succeeded in luring zombies - he set up a room in his lot and invited them to a party!

Easier Replayability
    I really love this challenge so I made a master setup of it. I put all the things a need in a fresh The Sims 3 folder for this challenge, zip it up and keep it somewhere safe. That way, if I feel like playing it again, I just make a copy of the master setup and unzip to my Documents/Electronic Arts folder. I won't have to start all over from scratch. I would only need to do minimal editing for different worlds, different set of initial sims, etc.

Have fun!
    Post edited by ClarionOfJoy on
  • Options
    silverwood02silverwood02 Posts: 73 Member
    Try Neverwinter - its free on Steam. You can create a character and play a RPG. Not sure Sims 3 is in that league.
  • Options
    @silverwood02 I already created an RPG character. I don't need to create another one in another game, because it will lack the same things as other roleplaying games. I'm still looking for the ultimate mix of adventure and sim games. They're trying to implement it with new packs, but they're not there yet. It's oversimplified. And simmest elements in RPG games are minimalist at best. A bit of camp managing and romances, but not much else. I want both!
  • Options
    Hmmm... Just saw there was a new game pack with the RPG elements I crave for? Curious to see how it turns out to be...
  • Options
    Is that in Sims or Neverwinter? Have you tried Sims Medieval? That is quite close to a RPG. I quite enjoy world adventures - but obviously its not set in a fantasy world.
  • Options
    Strangeville is Sims (all brand new). I tried Sims Medieval. A bit limited. Didn't really like Neverwinter Night, preferred Baldur's Gate. ;) Yes, World Adventure was the first to step in the RPG direction. Although, it wasn't ''there'' yet.
  • Options
    thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I wish I had played "Baldur's Gate", I remember looking for it when I was younger. It's on steam, but I lack the time for it.
    I played "Neverwinter Nights" and the "Shadows of Undrentide" expansion. I've never finished "Hordes of Underdark", though. It was fun, Aribeth is unforgettable. Another RPG game that I liked a lot is "Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor". One day, I'll make Castle Harmondale for The Sims 3.

I also played Fallout 4 and it seemed that they tried to add some building elements, but it was so lame and limited that I abandoned my save in less than a month.
  • Options
    Yes, Fallout 4 is the perfect example of why I would dream to have studios like Maxis and Black Isle work together (okay, they're kindda gone now... We could say EA work with Bethesda, but somehow, I find this less promising... EA with Rockstar? That'd be a funny mix!)
  • Options
    Neverwinter isnt Neverwinter nights, its a free RPG on Steam. I had the original Baldurs Gate & Neverwinter nights - still got it. I used to play in a MMO called Island Of thain. Most have spent months an months of time over three or four years. I always wondered if the sims would ever end up like that. Perhaps you could add a D&D ingame set? Anyhow I thought Strangeville was for sims 4 only?
  • Options
    Oh! Didn't know it wasn't the same. Thanks. I might already have it, will investigate.

Yes, Strangeville is for sims 4, I jump from one game to the other to keep things fresh.