Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A more mature version of Sims?

1235...Next

Comments

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »
    I can't really think of any "mature" themes that I feel like this game absolutely needs. Then again I've never really been the type to go around murdering my sims and stuff like that.

The risk of death to the Sim is more 'mature' than what we have now. But people playing games now, don't want any burglars, any muggings, any deaths by accident, no death or risk of death at all by illness, even if medicine is easy to get or cure and was all part of those older, more mature games of the series. These Sims don't even die from hunger or any risk of it, they pull fake food from their pocket if you don't have any food in their home. Soooo, too big of a safety net makes life simulators boring. Life is a gamble and the series has taken away those gambles or risks and even bad consequences. A bad mood buff doesn't reek of life but an icon on the screen that hardly affects the Sim. In older games if the Sim was very unhappy or miserable for whatever reason the player had to use that noodle to figure out how to make them happier, or to fix the situation they were in. It hardly means anything to these Sims if there isn't any power, life goes on. In The Sims it would be a problem and the player would need to decide to sell something the Sim liked (and would miss) or let them suffer over it. Whatever it might have been the Sim was aware enough to not like it, and affected whether they were willing to eat, or go to work. These days heck just throw a $1 decoration in there and they are all happy. That's hardly a life simulator.

@Cinebar are you sure the sims you tried to kill off didn't have any food that was in their inventory before you tried to kill them? Since I just tested and my test sim (seperate save then the other save) and the sim died almost right away.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    The Sims had problems with wouldbe censors almost from its' start. I remember in the US, was it a Senator? made a great fuss in the early 2000s.

It's not the players who don't want burglars etc., I don't think they would care at all. it's the game ratings goalposts that have been moved to protect them. I suppose the more International a game becomes the lower they become. Lowest common denominator.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited February 2019
    There was a extremist/ activist who went after the game during the Sims 2 days. It got its 15 minutes of fame. That is about it. He was going on about nudity and sexual themes within the game. It was to him inappropiate in a teen game. The Sims have always had their nudity blurred out. If you did remove the blurring out of the game by using third party content, then all you were going to get was Barbie and Ken. I don't think you would shock a teen this way. You can't really blame that on EA. I am more bothered that they pee and poop through their clothes, lol. Not really.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    There was a extremist/ activist who went after the game during the Sims 2 days. It got its 15 minutes of fame. That is about it. He was going on about nudity and sexual themes within the game. It was to him inappropiate in a teen game. The Sims have always had their nudity blurred out. If you did remove the blurring out of the game by using third party content, then all you were going to get was Barbie and Ken. I don't think you would shock a teen this way. You can't really blame that on EA. I am more bothered that they pee and poop through their clothes, lol. Not really.
    It's Jack Thompson, isn't it?
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited February 2019
    MMX wrote: »
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    It's Jack Thompson, isn't it?

Yes, but it is old news. I didn't feel the need to use his name. I doubt EA did anything about it other than have some code changed. That wasn't that remarkable. Modders are smart and can find a workaround.
  • Options
    RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    It would be cool if they released two packs simultaneously. They'd be game packs but the rated E woulds be stuff pack priced cuz it has half the content of the other. One would be rated E and would make babies and kids more real and one would be rated m and is a little more expensive but includes everything from the other pack along with more realistic M rated content. Like more danger, excitement, consequences, romance, crime, random catastrophes. Sometimes I honestly miss the danger of falling asteroids destroying your house sometimes just moments after moving in.