March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A more mature version of Sims?

Comments

• MaddyMcMoodyMaddyMcMoody Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2019
    Not so sure about the "not wanting more violence" -- one of the first questions many players ask about a pack is "are there any new deaths?" And I've seen threads where people complain that you can't play Vampires as a vampire hunter...meaning you can't kill the vamps you can only "cure" them.

Many of the "quirks" I miss from earlier Sims games are not adult-related, like kids running in from the school bus to show off their report card, or children "dancing" with adults by standing on their feet and holding hands. Personally, I'd settle for Sims actually facing each other when dancing especially if they're chatting at the same time; it makes no sense to try and talk to your partner if you're on opposite sides of the dance floor and "dancing together". But that's just me, I guess. And that sort of thing doesn't require "adult content" just either some reprogramming or maybe a better game engine. :|

Those were really cute now that you mention it, I'd be totally on board with the report cards and the dancing!
    I'd like the school bus to be back tbh - it doesn't have to be cars in general, but the school bus was quite a classic
    speaking of classics - I'd really love the grilled cheese aspiration back lol, that was great and weird and relatable :D
    I downloaded a grilled cheese aspiration mod the other day, but I'd like it back just in general for everyone to enjoy :D

the people in this thread don't really ask for violence, the people in general probably do. I felt the title was quite confusing before so I think that's easily a way to interpret the discussion
    Post edited by MaddyMcMoody on
    みんな自称ヒーロー
    嫌気がさすよ日替わり悪役
    CHANMINA
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I'd like some sims to be able to be frightened to death and things like that that came in past games. I remember the eerie creepiness and sudden sounds from the first Sims game that would actually freak me out a bit while playing. (But I liked it) I'd like sadness and apathy to be depicted by a trait that could mean more. I'd like to be able to make characters with a visible lack of empathy and actions that went along with that. Heck we can't even have a huge evil clown head ride anymore I'm sure. Not that I think the last one is because of ratings but because of sensitivity... and sometimes that bugs me a bit also.
    I don't want or expect the Sims to go in a direction at all that mods that we can't talk about are available for.
    It's not even that I want realism. I just want an extension to those parts of life that have gotten nixed in this game as time has gone on.
    I do think they do the best they can within the rating.. that's why I'd be open to a mature rated game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    I thin everyone will agree with this there should be 2 base games for the sims 1 that caters to players that prefer a cleaner game that players customise there way where cc is still possible same story with the t rating the second game caters to players that wents more adults stuff in the game. at least that's what I think to be honest

I honestly really can't agree. Especially, since the budget for this game seems pretty sparse. Last thing I want is to feel like I'm getting cheated out of more features because X base game has more than the other X base game and vice versa. That's what mods and CC are for to tailor games more to your liking. They aren't going to be able to please everyone and that's just how it is with games.

I would love more returning humor and some morbid ones as well much like how the first and second sims games were to keep things fresh and silly as well as more consequences in game. Right now the game is still no more than a casual, leisure walk through the park in the middle of the night.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    Or how about adding stuff (ie like Goosing or Ms.Crumblebottom wacking your sim with her purse, or cake dancers or the make out on the couch) back into the T rated versions instead of making a entirely separate game?
    6adMCGP.gif
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Sul Sul~

I've removed a few posts from the thread. Let's please be mindful that this forum isn't an English class and we don't need to discuss someone's grammar or spelling and draw attention to it. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,360 Member
    you should consider using mods and custom content because I doubt this will happen and nothing is wrong with the t rating of the game and what you need to think is what if they decided the next generation of the sims was rated e for everyone

Nothing wrong with E-rated games. You should be more worried about EA never patching game-breaking bugs/glitches. People don't care if something is rated E or T or even M-what drives people away from games are the game-breaking bugs/glitches that NEVER get addressed or repaired. Some things in Dine out and Get To Work are STILL broken,and have never been fixed..same with the leaf piles in Seasons. I think repairing serious bugs like that is more important than worrying about some game rating.

Those were fixed in the last patch. If you're still having trouble with them you might try deleting your cache files and repairing your game.

Stinky leaf pile was fixed but leaf pile woohoo is still broken. Still cancelling out.
  • stbnchristinestbnchristine Posts: 30 Member
    edited February 2019
    I would also like the ability to have deeper emotions and consequences in a game aimed at older people. It has been hard to stay in love with the Sims 4. Sometimes I just cannot understand why. I think that too much of my imagination is required and I have to force storylines that used to happen on their own. Now the actual sims actions are not available so it is a game of pretend my sim did this or said that. I have only been surprised one time by my Sims actions/reactions and that is my fondest memory.

I also agree that many things will offend people. Recently I saw post where someone said the vampire night attacks were like home invasions and rapes. Where would be the room for some serious supernatural fun if vampires are taken so seriously.

But the breaking of parts of the game have also deeply damaged my gameplay. I used to never use mods because they always broke my Sims 3 game. Now I have to use them so the functionality I purchased from packs will still work. Problems with spa day, Gtw, others strike at the heart of how I play.
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    I would also like the ability to have deeper emotions and consequences in a game aimed at older people. It has been hard to stay in love with the Sims 4. Sometimes I just cannot understand why. I think that too much of my imagination is required and I have to force storylines that used to happen on their own. Now the actual sims actions are not available so it is a game of pretend my sim did this or said that. I have only been surprised one time by my Sims actions/reactions and that is my fondest memory.

I also agree that many things will offend people. Recently I saw post where someone said the vampire night attacks were like home invasions and rapes. Where would be the room for some serious supernatural fun if vampires are taken so seriously.

But the breaking of parts of the game have also deeply damaged my gameplay. I used to never use mods because they always broke my Sims 3 game. Now I have to use them so the functionality I purchased from packs will still work. Problems with spa day, Gtw, others strike at the heart of how I play.

Agreed
    Oh hamburgers!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,360 Member
    you should consider using mods and custom content because I doubt this will happen and nothing is wrong with the t rating of the game and what you need to think is what if they decided the next generation of the sims was rated e for everyone

Nothing wrong with E-rated games. You should be more worried about EA never patching game-breaking bugs/glitches. People don't care if something is rated E or T or even M-what drives people away from games are the game-breaking bugs/glitches that NEVER get addressed or repaired. Some things in Dine out and Get To Work are STILL broken,and have never been fixed..same with the leaf piles in Seasons. I think repairing serious bugs like that is more important than worrying about some game rating.

Those were fixed in the last patch. If you're still having trouble with them you might try deleting your cache files and repairing your game.

Stinky leaf pile was fixed but leaf pile woohoo is still broken. Still cancelling out.

My bad. I went into the game and checked and it seems the patch fixed the leaf woohoo. They forgot to mention that in the patch notes.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Having brought up Terry Pratchett's Discworld earlier it has given me the urge to read them (all 41) again so I will be leaving the game for a while. His was an imagination and world to be reckoned with. Humourous, always witty and never deliberately cruel and the original DEATH, fond of cats, not quite understanding humankind and spoke in CAPITALS. I always wondered it Will Wright had read his books as Pterry's Colour of Magic was published in 1983 years before The Sims and pre Harry Potter too. I recommend the Gurus read them for more ideas.

• EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    @stbnchristine The vampire home invasions feel very violating, because during the break in the sim that is being preyed on, cannot even defend themselves and no other sims can interfere and assist them either. It feels very strange and wrong, and so whoever said that they didnt like that element , I definitely agree.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
    Not everyone likes negative, dark themes and thats okay too.
  • stbnchristinestbnchristine Posts: 30 Member
    Not everyone likes negative, dark themes and thats okay too.

This comment thread is about more mature content.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I think the Sims were fine the way they were it wasn't until Sims 4 that they start putting crap in the game silly stuff like men having babies, and other things which I won't mention because I will get banned. As far as more mature content it is very silly now so I don't see how that would be possible the stuff in the game is rather childish I don't play with some of these interactions.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    candy8 wrote: »
    I think the Sims were fine the way they were it wasn't until Sims 4 that they start putting plum in the game silly stuff like men having babies, and other things which I won't mention because I will get banned. As far as more mature content it is very silly now so I don't see how that would be possible the stuff in the game is rather childish I don't play with some of these interactions.

Men have been having babies via alien abductions since the sims 2, unless you're talking about the gender settings which you can ignore completely if you choose. No one is forcing you to use them.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,436 Member
    @stbnchristine The vampire home invasions feel very violating, because during the break in the sim that is being preyed on, cannot even defend themselves and no other sims can interfere and assist them either. It feels very strange and wrong, and so whoever said that they didnt like that element , I definitely agree.

Vampires are fictional monsters. They are supposed to prey on their victims. They have also been a beloved staple of the series for a long time, and those who don't like playing realistic games or who get bored just playing "house" in the Sims, rely on things like Vampires to add an element of unpredictability and a touch of darkness to keep our interest in the game. Some people even support the game only because it adds Occults and would stop buying packs if this was to be taken away.

Vampires is a perfect example of how to do more mature content for Sims 4 the right way.They were put into their own specialty pack so that those who did not want them could skip this pack completely and not have to deal with them. They weren't stuffed into an expansion like City Living where a player would have to miss out on a lot of other content just to avoid them. They were not forced on anybody. That's the point of offering choices, and it's a very good thing.

There's a huge variety of players in the Sims community and they all want certain things. Some of those things won't be for everyone, and that's okay. For example, I recoil at the thought of children being obnoxious and leaving messes all over my beautiful Victorian neighborhoods, so guess what pack I don't own? Parenthood. People rave about it, and there are certainly things from the pack I wouldn't mind trying out, but it's such a small sacrifice that I'm quite content with not owning it. If there are things in the pack that would make me unhappy or uncomfortable, then I just won't get it. But would it make sense for me to start speaking against making children realistic because it bothers me and doesn't suit my play style? Of course not.

Vampires was the very first Sims 4 pack that I actually felt excited to get and it remains my top favorite pack of all time. The content was just a little bit darker while still retaining a hint of the light humor of Sims 4. If Vampires hadn't come out, I probably would have abandoned Sims 4 completely. It was the pack that made the game for me. I would absolutely love to have more packs like it.
    #Team Occult
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,104 Member
    Not so sure about the "not wanting more violence" -- one of the first questions many players ask about a pack is "are there any new deaths?" And I've seen threads where people complain that you can't play Vampires as a vampire hunter...meaning you can't kill the vamps you can only "cure" them.

Many of the "quirks" I miss from earlier Sims games are not adult-related, like kids running in from the school bus to show off their report card, or children "dancing" with adults by standing on their feet and holding hands. Personally, I'd settle for Sims actually facing each other when dancing especially if they're chatting at the same time; it makes no sense to try and talk to your partner if you're on opposite sides of the dance floor and "dancing together". But that's just me, I guess. And that sort of thing doesn't require "adult content" just either some reprogramming or maybe a better game engine. :|

Those were really cute now that you mention it, I'd be totally on board with the report cards and the dancing!
    I'd like the school bus to be back tbh - it doesn't have to be cars in general, but the school bus was quite a classic
    speaking of classics - I'd really love the grilled cheese aspiration back lol, that was great and weird and relatable :D
    I downloaded a grilled cheese aspiration mod the other day, but I'd like it back just in general for everyone to enjoy :D

the people in this thread don't really ask for violence, the people in general probably do. I felt the title was quite confusing before so I think that's easily a way to interpret the discussion

The grilled cheese aspiration is in the game - you just have to eat 3 grilled cheese sandwiches in a row to unlock it.

I love S4, but I really wouldn't mind seeing some of the darker humor come back. Even my daughter, who's in their target group, so far still prefers S2. There's a lot she doesn't like about S4.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,583 Member
    edited February 2019
    Archieonic wrote: »
    February11 wrote: »
    For a non adult game, the fact that woo hoo's happen, cross dressing can happen, alien abduction male pregnancies happen - that's hardly teen restricted as far as I'm concerned ... oooh, and neighbourhood brawls, from memory, in Windenburg became an issue ... neglectful parents where children are taken away by the welfare ...
    Anyhoo, as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with what we have, we can still do what we want to an extent, depends which way you want to play. I can't see drive by shootings, armed robberies will improve the game, what else would adult bring? Our sims can have affairs, intermingle and do all sorts of "unfamily" "anti- relationship" type behaviour ... ... we can make them lazy, have no career opportunities, the list goes on ...
    I get where the OP is coming from, but, what exactly would OP like to have as an adult game, out of interest sake?

Realistic consequences, financial hardships, mortgages, fears, breakdowns, midlife crisis, better illnesses, character weakness (so that everyone who is not a vampire or superstar does not walk around like Mr. or Mrs. Perfect), revamped animations to showcase emotional states without flip flopping all over the place, realistic relationships where enemies are not so easy to turn back to besties and friends remember the good deeds and where cheating has long term consequences if caught, among others.

Like you mentioned there are already themes such as cross dressing, fluid genders, hood brawling. But IMO to me it feels like it's a comedy sitcom, sims will do an angry animation then smile and ask their enemy how's their day. Perhaps that has never been the aim of The Sims as a franchise and life simulator, but I cannot help but yearn for a game that is more...like a real life simulator.

Good reply. Now that makes more sense. I headed off in the wrong direction I think!
    MLgj4Vx.png
    edited February 2019
    you are free to like that feature, but some of us bought the pack because we wanted the build/buy it comes in handy to own all of the packs, for building and downloading lots from the gallery . however, it really isn't necessary I feel, for you to try and downplay the feelings of others. I found the way that the break ins happen very intrusive and discomforting. And so did quite a few others. If you disagree, thats on you. But I still feel the way I feel about it @LiELF
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,436 Member
    you are free to like that feature, but some of us bought the pack because we wanted the build/buy it comes in handy to own all of the packs, for building and downloading lots from the gallery . however, it really isn't necessary I feel, for you to try and downplay the feelings of others. I found the way that the break ins happen very intrusive and discomforting. And so did quite a few others. If you disagree, thats on you. But I still feel the way I feel about it @LiELF

I'm sorry if you felt I was downplaying your feelings, that was not my intention, but I do have every right to disagree and defend the one pack that I feel offered a unique element that I needed in the game. Like you, I also have an opinion and a play style. I confess that I don't understand why someone would buy a pack called "Vampires" for the furniture and then actually be surprised that the Vampires act like Vampires. That would be like me buying Parenthood for the clothing and then being angry that it only focuses on family play. To be honest, if you are sensitive to any kind of fictional horror, like Vampirism, and didn't do the research on your purchase to see if it would offend you, then that's on you. There is always a lot of accessible information put out there when every pack releases and it's actually wise to look it over to know what you're purchasing. That's what I do and it really helps to get an idea if the content is right for me or not if I'm undecided. Vampires really resonated with me because it's a little darker and I love the Vampire break-ins and want more of that style of gameplay in the future - it actually makes the game interesting for me (and many, many others from what I've seen people say in other threads). So you can bet that I'm going to speak up when I see someone trying to speak against it because I don't want it taken away. And I'm sure you would do the same thing for a feature that you love. Maybe the devs could still make a toggle or something so that everyone is happy. I believe MC Command has one if you don't mind using mods.

We, the players, need more choices, not less. As long as those choices remain optional, then each person is free to make the decision to have those things in their game or not. But if EA decides to start taking away every little thing that offends someone, there would be nothing left.
    #Team Occult
    OK: Who put the title back? This latest pack looks like it might be a little bit of what I wanted though.

Are we starting to get Sims Castaway type games inserted into Sims 4? I thought that Get Famous could have been a game on its' own and StrangerVille looks like that too. Might make saves easier and the game last longer for most players?
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    I dont want explicit sex or gore in my game. I dont mind darker themes as long as it fits the game and keeps the T rating. I dont think Sims should be stabbing each other to death, but they could definitely kill each other through less violent ways like poison or arson.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    I can't really think of any "mature" themes that I feel like this game absolutely needs. Then again I've never really been the type to go around murdering my sims and stuff like that.

The risk of death to the Sim is more 'mature' than what we have now. But people playing games now, don't want any burglars, any muggings, any deaths by accident, no death or risk of death at all by illness, even if medicine is easy to get or cure and was all part of those older, more mature games of the series. These Sims don't even die from hunger or any risk of it, they pull fake food from their pocket if you don't have any food in their home. Soooo, too big of a safety net makes life simulators boring. Life is a gamble and the series has taken away those gambles or risks and even bad consequences. A bad mood buff doesn't reek of life but an icon on the screen that hardly affects the Sim. In older games if the Sim was very unhappy or miserable for whatever reason the player had to use that noodle to figure out how to make them happier, or to fix the situation they were in. It hardly means anything to these Sims if there isn't any power, life goes on. In The Sims it would be a problem and the player would need to decide to sell something the Sim liked (and would miss) or let them suffer over it. Whatever it might have been the Sim was aware enough to not like it, and affected whether they were willing to eat, or go to work. These days heck just throw a $1 decoration in there and they are all happy. That's hardly a life simulator.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Cupid wrote: »
    I can't really think of any "mature" themes that I feel like this game absolutely needs. Then again I've never really been the type to go around murdering my sims and stuff like that.

The risk of death to the Sim is more 'mature' than what we have now. But people playing games now, don't want any burglars, any muggings, any deaths by accident, no death or risk of death at all by illness, even if medicine is easy to get or cure and was all part of those older, more mature games of the series. These Sims don't even die from hunger or any risk of it, they pull fake food from their pocket if you don't have any food in their home. Soooo, too big of a safety net makes life simulators boring. Life is a gamble and the series has taken away those gambles or risks and even bad consequences. A bad mood buff doesn't reek of life but an icon on the screen that hardly affects the Sim. In older games if the Sim was very unhappy or miserable for whatever reason the player had to use that noodle to figure out how to make them happier, or to fix the situation they were in. It hardly means anything to these Sims if there isn't any power, life goes on. In The Sims it would be a problem and the player would need to decide to sell something the Sim liked (and would miss) or let them suffer over it. Whatever it might have been the Sim was aware enough to not like it, and affected whether they were willing to eat, or go to work. These days heck just throw a $1 decoration in there and they are all happy. That's hardly a life simulator.
    I have a feeling that Cupid misinterpreted the meaning of the thread.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
    I think I've been a bit clairvoyant as I started this thread before information about the new game pack came out. I think I will leave Pterry's books aside for a little longer whilst I try it out next week.
    It's my sort of pack. (hopefully).