March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A more mature version of Sims?

Comments

• MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited February 2019
    MMX wrote: »
    going to go off topic for a second here but even do the sims4 is a game there is also the fact that time changes now going back on topic
    A lot of people on here openly state they want content that's similar to the previous Sims games implemented into The Sims 4 and are fed up with the game being catered to the more sensitive portion of society. What point are you trying to make?

I was referring to that no game has to be the same as past game not every players are into darker content as a player I sure did not went ghost or the klpeto trait to return and not saying anymore on said subject since for me as a player certain content in the game as a player and that's just my opinion here speaking think do not fit with the teen rating of the sims4
    Not to get too personal, but the majority of players don't exactly share the same sentiments as you do. If anything, the toned down content in TS4 is pretty much the reason why these kinds of threads are common. Sure, you're entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to define what fits the T rating for a video game because it's "just your opinion."
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • MaddyMcMoodyMaddyMcMoody Posts: 105 Member
    edited February 2019
    I mean I love me some realism and darkness and stuff, that's why I have [EDIT: insert sexual and drug-related mod names here, I just re-read the forum rules so I'm not naming them haha] and all that fun stuff (I even had the more morally questionable extensions to them at some point] - but what I'm thinking, as a seasoned player, is that maybe officially associating the name and game of the Sims with all that will make the game less accessible to kids, mostly through censoring parents. I wouldn't want kids to not get to play the sims because their parents start to associate it with darker content.

We can just play the dark twin sister of the sims, called the Sams or something lol.
    No, but actually if I'm being real I like the current situation. Because if I feel like playing a dark and twisted game, I can by using mods. But I also easily get bored by that and want to go back to a game that has no raunchy, violent or nude content whatsoever in it and is all about idealism rather than realism - then I can just deactivate the mods or remove them from my folder. Like that you get all the pros of it and none of the negatives - plus, [sexual mod] and the like are already really good as it stands, don't know how EA would improve on them tbh
    みんな自称ヒーロー
    嫌気がさすよ日替わり悪役
    CHANMINA
  • VaidaVaida Posts: 35 Member
    I mean I love me some realism and darkness and stuff, that's why I have [EDIT: insert sexual and drug-related mod names here, I just re-read the forum rules so I'm not naming them haha] and all that fun stuff (I even had the more morally questionable extensions to them at some point] - but what I'm thinking, as a seasoned player, is that maybe officially associating the name and game of the Sims with all that will make the game less accessible to kids, mostly through censoring parents. I wouldn't want kids to not get to play the sims because their parents start to associate it with darker content.

We can just play the dark twin sister of the sims, called the Sams or something lol.
    No, but actually if I'm being real I like the current situation. Because if I feel like playing a dark and twisted game, I can by using mods. But I also easily get bored by that and want to go back to a game that has no raunchy, violent or nude content whatsoever in it and is all about idealism rather than realism - then I can just deactivate the mods or remove them from my folder. Like that you get all the pros of it and none of the negatives - plus, [sexual mod] and the like are already really good as it stands, don't know how EA would improve on them tbh

I think you missed a good chunk of the discussion on this topic. Initially most people here agreed that by "adult content" they meant more absurd and twisted humor that TS1 and TS2 have displayed. That has drastically changed since TS3 and many people actually miss it. So basically not too many people want stuff like violence in their game, most ideas refer to getting back those absurd and strange situations that happened in past installments, and that are missing on newer.

Nice pants.
    P6Ps.gif
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Vaida wrote: »
    I think you missed a good chunk of the discussion on this topic. Initially most people here agreed that by "adult content" they meant more absurd and twisted humor that TS1 and TS2 have displayed. That has drastically changed since TS3 and many people actually miss it. So basically not too many people want stuff like violence in their game, most ideas refer to getting back those absurd and strange situations that happened in past installments, and that are missing on newer.

Maybe that's what "most" of you agreed to interpret the topic as but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't get why you'd conflate "adult content" with content that existed in previous games. None of those games were rated M. So I think it's pretty understandable that upon entering a thread asking for an M rated game, things like burglary and "twisted humor" aren't the first things that came to mind.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
    Cupid wrote: »

Maybe that's what "most" of you agreed to interpret the topic as but it doesn't make sense to me. I don't get why you'd conflate "adult content" with content that existed in previous games. None of those games were rated M. So I think it's pretty understandable that upon entering a thread asking for an M rated game, things like burglary and "twisted humor" aren't the first things that came to mind.
    yeah I thought that's what the OG poster was alluding to, I wasn't particularly chiming in on what was happening before me and more on just what my interpretation of more "adult scenario"s is. Never thought burglars would count as an adult scenario. I don't think them being removed is related to the rating at all tbh, just that the people making the decisions at EA have changed and therefore the humor has changed.
    みんな自称ヒーロー
    嫌気がさすよ日替わり悪役
    CHANMINA
    ok yeah seems like people aren't asking for more violence now that I've read more of the posts haha. But I'm not sure about what they do mean if not that - I thought the criticism was about things like ways of killing getting patched like when they removed the possibility of having a pool party in the winter. But I don't personally know what else is supposed to be twisted humour that's missing? A lot of quirks are still there, like alien abductions and pregnancies, romancing father christmas or the grim reaper, kleptomania for that matter
    みんな自称ヒーロー
    嫌気がさすよ日替わり悪役
    CHANMINA
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    But wanting more mature themes simply means wanting more consequences and realistic failures. It means having more passionate kissing animations and "goosing" and dancing very close with a sly, subtle touch like we used to have. It means having a creepier Grim Reaper, Sims having fears and anxieties and breakdowns and being allowed to be upset or in a dark mood in response to their circumstances. It means the possibility of crime, like having your house robbed, or having a rebellious teenager sneak out for the night with friends and return in the back of a police car to be punished by their parents. It means having real rejection, relatable reactions, and flaws that cause realistic obstacles. It means facing traumas and playing out the challenges of overcoming them or falling into despair. In essence, it just means honesty in the simulation of the life of a virtual species that mimics the trials and tribulations of humanity.

I don't know why the ESRB rating has changed to baby people more these days, but it does hold back the potential of the game. I would love to see an additional Sims game created for mature players that allows for full creative liberty to develop and explore these things and more.

Yes. This.

More consequences, please.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    not all players of the game are the same when it comes to the sims game and as a player I see nothing wrong with how the sims4 is now and do not forget that game developers have a fix budget when it comes to game creating
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    EA is in the business of making money with video game product. An M (mature) rating from the ESRB would likely cost them a lot of customers (and money) -- not just those under 18 who have parents who won't buy that sort of content, but older players who might not want that sort of content especially those who have young children who like to watch Mom or Dad play. Best to leave that sort of content addition to the talented mod community, whether you're looking for extra sex or violence (won't mention any specific mods but they're out there if you just look).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    ok yeah seems like people aren't asking for more violence now that I've read more of the posts haha. But I'm not sure about what they do mean if not that - I thought the criticism was about things like ways of killing getting patched like when they removed the possibility of having a pool party in the winter. But I don't personally know what else is supposed to be twisted humour that's missing? A lot of quirks are still there, like alien abductions and pregnancies, romancing father christmas or the grim reaper, kleptomania for that matter

Not so sure about the "not wanting more violence" -- one of the first questions many players ask about a pack is "are there any new deaths?" And I've seen threads where people complain that you can't play Vampires as a vampire hunter...meaning you can't kill the vamps you can only "cure" them.

Many of the "quirks" I miss from earlier Sims games are not adult-related, like kids running in from the school bus to show off their report card, or children "dancing" with adults by standing on their feet and holding hands. Personally, I'd settle for Sims actually facing each other when dancing especially if they're chatting at the same time; it makes no sense to try and talk to your partner if you're on opposite sides of the dance floor and "dancing together". But that's just me, I guess. And that sort of thing doesn't require "adult content" just either some reprogramming or maybe a better game engine. :|
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    But wanting more mature themes simply means wanting more consequences and realistic failures. It means having more passionate kissing animations and "goosing" and dancing very close with a sly, subtle touch like we used to have. It means having a creepier Grim Reaper, Sims having fears and anxieties and breakdowns and being allowed to be upset or in a dark mood in response to their circumstances. It means the possibility of crime, like having your house robbed, or having a rebellious teenager sneak out for the night with friends and return in the back of a police car to be punished by their parents. It means having real rejection, relatable reactions, and flaws that cause realistic obstacles. It means facing traumas and playing out the challenges of overcoming them or falling into despair. In essence, it just means honesty in the simulation of the life of a virtual species that mimics the trials and tribulations of humanity.

I don't know why the ESRB rating has changed to baby people more these days, but it does hold back the potential of the game. I would love to see an additional Sims game created for mature players that allows for full creative liberty to develop and explore these things and more.

Yes. This.

Specially this yes. That's why I yearn for a competitor in the life simulation genre. I want someone, whether it be Maxis or another dev, to create a full on life simulator true to the genre "LIFE SIMULATION", not comedy sitcom simulator. At least TS1/TS2 had a darker humor to it in some aspects.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I'm not interested in darker elements/supernatural/more mature relationships. I like Sims 4 how it is to be honest. If they created a new came with those elements and a higher rating it wouldn't bother as I don't have to buy it, just like I didn't buy the vampire pack, but I do hope that if they do create a new version they still continue to update and release content for Sims 4 too.
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,583 Member
    edited February 2019
    For a non adult game, the fact that woo hoo's happen, cross dressing can happen, alien abduction male pregnancies happen - that's hardly teen restricted as far as I'm concerned ... oooh, and neighbourhood brawls, from memory, in Windenburg became an issue ... neglectful parents where children are taken away by the welfare ...
    Anyhoo, as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with what we have, we can still do what we want to an extent, depends which way you want to play. I can't see drive by shootings, armed robberies will improve the game, what else would adult bring? Our sims can have affairs, intermingle and do all sorts of "unfamily" "anti- relationship" type behaviour ... ... we can make them lazy, have no career opportunities, the list goes on ...
    I get where the OP is coming from, but, what exactly would OP like to have as an adult game, out of interest sake?
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Changed the title as the discussion seems to have turned to guns and violence which I don't mean.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Rratings mean nothing, no matter what they call it, how they clean it up, we know what it is, and what it does.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    The original Sims: Teen rating: Comic Mischief, Mild Violence, Sexual Themes

Sims 2: Teen Rating: Crude Humor, Sexual Themes, Violence

Sims 3: Teen Rating: Crude Humor, Sexual Themes, Violence

Sims 4 Teen rating: Crude Humor, Sexual Themes, Violence

6adMCGP.gif
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I think an adult version of the game would limit the amount of customers willing to buy the game and therefore would not be financially feasible.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »

Yes. This.

I will vote aye on this exact sentiment as well! 👆
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited February 2019
    What I don't think people get is even if it's been rated teen all along things have changed with the rating systems in these many years. The ratings are much tougher and companies have to abide by them or face fines and even threat of recall. They have to be in line with other countries ratings also. Now some other countries rating they have to ignore.. for example they have had same sex couples all along and in some countries that makes the rating too high. For the most part though the game has to be well under the rating now to get by. So today's teen rating is basically an everyone game now.

I agree though if they only came out with a mature game it would limit the amount of customers.. so that's why I hope they change up their strategy in some future game and cater to two audiences at once.
    egTcBMc.png
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    I thin everyone will agree with this there should be 2 base games for the sims 1 that caters to players that prefer a cleaner game that players customise there way where cc is still possible same story with the t rating the second game caters to players that wents more adults stuff in the game. at least that's what I think to be honest
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    MadameLee wrote: »
    The original Sims: Teen rating: Comic Mischief, Mild Violence, Sexual Themes

Sims 2: Teen Rating: Crude Humor, Sexual Themes, Violence

Sims 3: Teen Rating: Crude Humor, Sexual Themes, Violence

Sims 4 Teen rating: Crude Humor, Sexual Themes, Violence

Ok.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    February11 wrote: »
    For a non adult game, the fact that woo hoo's happen, cross dressing can happen, alien abduction male pregnancies happen - that's hardly teen restricted as far as I'm concerned ... oooh, and neighbourhood brawls, from memory, in Windenburg became an issue ... neglectful parents where children are taken away by the welfare ...
    Anyhoo, as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy with what we have, we can still do what we want to an extent, depends which way you want to play. I can't see drive by shootings, armed robberies will improve the game, what else would adult bring? Our sims can have affairs, intermingle and do all sorts of "unfamily" "anti- relationship" type behaviour ... ... we can make them lazy, have no career opportunities, the list goes on ...
    I get where the OP is coming from, but, what exactly would OP like to have as an adult game, out of interest sake?

Realistic consequences, financial hardships, mortgages, fears, breakdowns, midlife crisis, better illnesses, character weakness (so that everyone who is not a vampire or superstar does not walk around like Mr. or Mrs. Perfect), revamped animations to showcase emotional states without flip flopping all over the place, realistic relationships where enemies are not so easy to turn back to besties and friends remember the good deeds and where cheating has long term consequences if caught, among others.

Like you mentioned there are already themes such as cross dressing, fluid genders, hood brawling. But IMO to me it feels like it's a comedy sitcom, sims will do an angry animation then smile and ask their enemy how's their day. Perhaps that has never been the aim of The Sims as a franchise and life simulator, but I cannot help but yearn for a game that is more...like a real life simulator.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited February 2019
    I thin everyone will agree with this there should be 2 base games for the sims 1 that caters to players that prefer a cleaner game that players customise there way where cc is still possible same story with the t rating the second game caters to players that wents more adults stuff in the game. at least that's what I think to be honest

Actually, I don't agree with that. At that point, they might as well make two different games, so they can have two different budgets, cause with a full budget, I feel we already don't see as much content and bug fixes as we need. I sure wouldn't be happy with my relaxed version of sims to share a budget with an mature version of sims and vice versa.

I understand trying to appeal to people's wants, but it's a fine line. They can't please everyone, and there are gonna be people that aren't happy with some direction or another that is taken. You can't buy a game like the Sims, where multiple, multiple packs are released and expect every single one to fit your play style, especially if you have a very specific play style. The best you can hope for is to semi-like the packs that aren't exactly your play style (or not buy those, but not be rude to devs and simmers cause you don't like the pack).

So, to expect them to run two base games is a bit unrealistic as well. At what point do you draw the line? Why not 3 base games? A "T" for teen, A "M" for Mature, and "E" for everyone. Or four base games? Add a "X" and you can imagine what that would entail. Seriously. At what point do they draw the line, then? Makes no sense, especially from a business stand point.

As for the dark humor and things of sims past... now that I can get behind. I like the consequences of Sims 2 and Sims 3 that seem to be missing in Sims 4, but I still enjoy the game.
    p8L4V6v.png
    edited February 2019
    Never mind.
    Post edited by MMX on
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    cake dancer/dance Machine from the Sims 1? The "goosing" of Sims 2? Or how about Ms. Crumbebottom, hitting your sim with her purse when you dare do something "inappropriate" Poker tables? Sims 3 had basically "Party Dancers" but seriously we all know what they're suppose to be..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjJTZk82ow0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTt7yfFGPio

Rz3qqr4.jpg
    6adMCGP.gif