March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A more mature version of Sims?

Comments

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    the game would sell so much better. Weird how they've gone more and more kid friendly with each game.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Simpkin wrote: »
    the game would sell so much better. Weird how they've gone more and more kid friendly with each game.
    Kid begs mom and dad for a game, mom and dad are too "not there" to argue, they buy kid the game to keep the peace. Could it be?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    Simpkin wrote: »
    Kid begs mom and dad for a game, mom and dad are too "not there" to argue, they buy kid the game to keep the peace. Could it be?

Yeah but adult themes have always been popular, just look at nowadays western media and entertainment. The sales would be through the roof.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,902 Member
    Generations have always swung to extremes, i.e. after the louche Regency era, of almost transparent Roman type dresses, where men cried openly and gambled heavily we went to the stiff upper lip Victorian times of children infuriated by parents having lost their family fortunes and women constricted again in huge crinolines. Now we are swinging violently away from the 1960's everything goes to a less permissive society where you have to be careful what you do and say.. That can be a good or bad thing.

EA/Maxis seem to have followed the trend with The Sims onwards.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,710 Member
    edited February 2019
    I think they could include more mature themes and still make it keep the rating, I mean, if you look at the ESRB rating, (which I find pretty funny to read to be honest) http://www.esrb.org/ratings/Synopsis.aspx?Certificate=33553&&Title=The+Sims%u2122+4 the game already has adult things like sex, vomit, urination, dying by fire etc. but they censor it or make it look humorous. I feel what most youtubers for example misses are ways to cause mayhem for other sims, it doesn't have to be extreme like in the extreme violence mod, but perhaps they could include ways to make traps or plant bombs like you could in sims3 which could potentially murder another sim if you did it correctly.

I would not mind at all if they would choose to go 18 with the rating but I think they would lose a huge market then, and I do not think they would want that, not if they would gain a lot of new players, so would an 18 rating give more players? I think it could appeal to some people, but I think it would be difficult to convince people that usually play games like shooters and rpgs to play sims, at least my experience from seeing people that do that is that they seem to get bored pretty quickly because they do not want to be creative, they mostly just create a sim, a basic house, and then they get bored.

I myself, never played sims2 or sims3, I mostly played shooters, then I gave sims4 a chance when they released a demo and it turns out that I loved making sims in CAS, just like I loved customizing my character in other games like fallout. So I think if they would choose to go 18 then they probably need to add things that would make people that does not usually play the sims more interested.
  • EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Sul sul~

I'm just stepping in for a moment to remind folks to keep conversation forum appropriate, a subject like this can pretty easily veer into territory that's not okay for the forums - while I understand some folks may want a more "mature" variant of The Sims, or even a more kid-friendly version but we need to be super mindful of how we navigate that - let's try to avoid discussion of "adult" mods, mods focusing on violence, etc.

If we do veer into that territory the thread will have to be locked. I know this might come off a bit heavy-handed but just please keep this in mind. :smile:
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,105 Member
    I'd like things to be a little more challenging and adult at times, but there are other things that I think are more important.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
    I'd just like one to be more mature without all the violence and not needing mods but still keeping the humour and with more imagination and scenarios to play in. That's all. :)
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    edited February 2019
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think I get where you're coming from because I've mentioned wanting something like this before.

And to clarify, wanting a Sims game that pushes over the T rating doesn't mean I want a game filled with violence and sex. It just means I want a game that goes back in the direction of the concepts of Sims 1 and 2. Those games were a little less "child friendly" and contained slightly more mature themes, yet many people still felt it was safe enough to let their kids play it. They were still T rated back then, but the ESRB standards were different at that time and Maxis has even stated that they can't do some of the things they used to without it breaking the limitations and crossing the line to an M rating. So essentially, the ESRB has actually changed to put more limitations on games and is a huge contributer to why this game feels more childish than the others. And personally, I think it's unreasonably unbalanced because if you compare this game to a PG-13 film, they should be on the same level and it certainly doesn't feel like it.

But wanting more mature themes simply means wanting more consequences and realistic failures. It means having more passionate kissing animations and "goosing" and dancing very close with a sly, subtle touch like we used to have. It means having a creepier Grim Reaper, Sims having fears and anxieties and breakdowns and being allowed to be upset or in a dark mood in response to their circumstances. It means the possibility of crime, like having your house robbed, or having a rebellious teenager sneak out for the night with friends and return in the back of a police car to be punished by their parents. It means having real rejection, relatable reactions, and flaws that cause realistic obstacles. It means facing traumas and playing out the challenges of overcoming them or falling into despair. In essence, it just means honesty in the simulation of the life of a virtual species that mimics the trials and tribulations of humanity.

I don't know why the ESRB rating has changed to baby people more these days, but it does hold back the potential of the game. I would love to see an additional Sims game created for mature players that allows for full creative liberty to develop and explore these things and more.
    This.

I get a little confused whenever people request for an ‘18+’ Sims game, when they request mature content that's more-or-less like what was in TS1/TS2. I understand that The Sims 4 is a little juvenile for its own good, but to say we need an 18+ Sims game is pretty overkill and such a rating is kind of unnecessary for The Sims. Judging by OP's definition of a more mature Sims game, I doubt you need an AO/18+ rating, let alone an M/16+ rating.
    9d1z2m12k175.png
  • PositivibeePositivibee Posts: 52 Member
    There was an adult sims game (though not by EA or Maxis) called Singles, released around the sims 2. Company was sued though you can still purchase the game and it's sequel.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Many of the more “mature things” people want we had in previous games.

I’m not talking about violence.

There are plenty of games that do well that are 18 +. But are played by many, many people under that age bracket. There are plenty of games that are still within a teen rating that push the boundary’s but are still appropriate for teens. EA are pushing the game at a younger audience more and more because of money and because it’s an age group that will be less likely to question it.

The veterans and people that have played any of the previous games are irrelevant. To have burglars back and more drama shouldn’t require an 18 + or mature content rating. It didn’t before.
  • VaidaVaida Posts: 35 Member
    The veterans and people that have played any of the previous games are irrelevant. To have burglars back and more drama shouldn’t require an 18 + or mature content rating. It didn’t before.

Yeah, well, it didn't but as somebody here said before the rules of evaluation have changed and to fit in the same age restriction they might have toned it down a bit.
    One example that comes to my mind are the ghosts which aren't angry anymore, they don't scare the Sims, they are basically Sims now, since the ghost can send you a text by phone, etc.
    In my opinion such changes take away that mysticism from the game and that's something that I mourn the most. Problem is that there's no way you can fix that by mods, because that would required changes on the design level.

Nice pants.
    P6Ps.gif
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    While I agree that the game is becoming more and more bland (and disagree with this development), I don't feel that the rating in and of itself is the problem. I simply wish that EA would stand by their product instead of catering to a very sensitive and/or neurotic group of people.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

edited February 2019
    As a fan of Terry Pratchett I would love his world to come alive in a Sims type game. I've got all the old Diskworld PC games but they don't play anymore on Windows 10.

It has vampires, werewolves, dwarves, elves, witches, goblins and anything you could desire in Ankh Morpork and all very live and let live!
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    going to go off topic for a second here but even do the sims4 is a game there is also the fact that time changes now going back on topic
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • VaidaVaida Posts: 35 Member
    @Nindigo - I would say that the case is that EA holds the control over the creative process, and also Maxis is basically EA, there's very little of real Maxis out there, if any.
    The part of Sims 1 and 2 that we loved was (I would say at least, you might disagree) Will Wright's insight on the game. He had this crude/absurd taste. You all probably know that initial idea of the vibe for The Sims was a parody of 80's and 90's sitcoms, that's why we have certain stereotypical wall paints and furniture. And he kinda developed on this soap opera absurd out there. Sims 2 had some of this vibe, and then from TS3 it started to vanish.
    Nice pants.
    P6Ps.gif
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    Absolutely 100% agreed. This is a life simulation, and to some extent TS1 and TS2 had some of that crude dark humor and themes. Without it the franchise feels like it lacks character in the genre it is "supposed" to represent.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,383 Member
    There was an adult sims game (though not by EA or Maxis) called Singles, released around the sims 2. Company was sued though you can still purchase the game and it's sequel.

I have this game and liked it a lot, though it was technically quite buggy and limited. Singles had naked "Sims" without pixel censor and focused more on romantic aspects. Interestingly it was nevertheless rated just 16+ in Germany (TS are 6+). That little spice added a lot of vibrant and realistic atmosphere to the game that I miss especially in TS4. I absolutely don't want TS to be in any way explicit and I would never want violence or weapons in the game, but the current version is too lame. A Romance GP with shower woohoo, body hair, hot male clothes would be a good start.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,426 Member
    going to go off topic for a second here but even do the sims4 is a game there is also the fact that time changes now going back on topic
    A lot of people on here openly state they want content that's similar to the previous Sims games implemented into The Sims 4 and are fed up with the game being catered to the more sensitive portion of society. What point are you trying to make?
    9d1z2m12k175.png
    MMX wrote: »
    A lot of people on here openly state they want content that's similar to the previous Sims games implemented into The Sims 4 and are fed up with the game being catered to the more sensitive portion of society. What point are you trying to make?

I'm not "fed up" as you say as I still enjoy the game but it's too late to change the direction of Sims 4. A newer more adventurous one from the start would be preferable for me. Just letting them know if they are building/considering a Sims 5!
  • mysterionzmysterionz Posts: 3,608 Member
    Nope. This ain’t happening
    Oh hamburgers!
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    One of these days EA is going to catch on to the fact that an over 18 Sims type game would do very well, especially in the Supernatural or Sci Fi genre. No going round with guns or knives or stealing cars (unless you want to) but just living in a more adult scenario.

More like ,,, now I've killed off all the aliens, robbers, become top dog in my game, going home and building up a world again from scratch!

They have to be so careful they don't go over the "Teen" rating at the moment which is a bit frustrating for some Simmers.

Have you played Fallout 4? You kill mutants, zombies, raiders, etc then build settlements.
    Simburian wrote: »
    One of these days EA is going to catch on to the fact that an over 18 Sims type game would do very well, especially in the Supernatural or Sci Fi genre. No going round with guns or knives or stealing cars (unless you want to) but just living in a more adult scenario.

More like ,,, now I've killed off all the aliens, robbers, become top dog in my game, going home and building up a world again from scratch!

They have to be so careful they don't go over the "Teen" rating at the moment which is a bit frustrating for some Simmers.

Have you played Fallout 4? You kill mutants, zombies, raiders, etc then build settlements.

Why does everybody want to kill everything in sight in games these days? The Sims should stay clear of violence for the rest of us who want more stylish deaths - or none at all if we want! Building a settlement sounds good though. :D
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    MMX wrote: »

I was referring to that no game has to be the same as past game not every players are into darker content as a player I sure did not went ghost or the klpeto trait to return and not saying anymore on said subject since for me as a player certain content in the game as a player and that's just my opinion here speaking think do not fit with the teen rating of the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    At the moment the Sims 4 is accessible to most age groups to enjoy and play however they wish. If EA were to bring out an adult rated EP or SP, I would be fine with that but I personally would not want that content in my game. If a player wants more adult drama in their game there are mods available to do that so they can still choose how they play.
    I love the game as it is. I'm in the 50+ age group and I want to be able to play when my grandchildren are in the room.
    And I love all the cutesy, fluffy things in the game, there, I said it out loud! :D
    I know I'm boring but I love the fact that the game can be enjoyed by all ages and I hope it continues to be so.