Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Not toddlers, parents! (gripe again, sorry)

NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
So, I'm playing with a toddler now for the first time in forever, and I realize that toddlers themselves aren't actually my biggest problem with toddlers. It's the ridiculously inept parents.

For instance, why does a parent pick up a toddler and immediately puts it down again five times consecutively? Why? There is no rational reason for doing this.

Also, why does a parent choose to go downstairs in order to offer a toddler to read a bedtime story when said toddler can't even walk on stairs yet? Why? It's utterly moot.

And why does a parent remove a toddler from the high chair before said toddler even begins to eat its meal? Why? I really want to burn those chairs - and the parents, too.

Well then, here's a toddler thing only. Why can't a toddler eat its darn meal downstairs by itself? Why must it waste precious time trying to climb stairs up to where the parents are, when it's absolutely ravenous? Why? Just grab a mouthful, will ya?

After trying several times to get the child to eat without any luck, I ended up having a parent teleport downstairs and eat their own meal there - to avoid getting child removal threats from the game. Although, it saw fit to remind me that toddlers are helpless - which I very well know!

On a bad day, I'd be in tears out of frustration right now. These unbearable situations just keep piling up. Why is it so hard to simply make things work in this game? One can only wonder...

*Heavy sigh*

Edited post to remove inappropriate comment, please do not bypass the profanity filter. ~Rtas

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Post edited by Nindigo on

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Nindigo wrote: »
    So, I'm playing with a toddler now for the first time in forever, and I realize that toddlers themselves aren't actually my biggest problem with toddlers. It's the ridiculously inept parents.

For instance, why does a parent pick up a toddler and immediately puts it down again five times consecutively? Why? There is no rational reason for doing this.

Also, why does a parent choose to go downstairs in order to offer a toddler to read a bedtime story when said toddler can't even walk on stairs yet? Why? It's utterly moot.

And why does a parent remove a toddler from the high chair before said toddler even begins to eat its meal? Why? I really want to burn those chairs - and the parents, too.

Well then, here's a toddler thing only. Why can't a toddler eat its darn meal downstairs by itself? Why must it waste precious time trying to climb stairs up to where the parents are, when it's absolutely ravenous? Why? Just grab a mouthful, will ya?

After trying several times to get the child to eat without any luck, I ended up having a parent teleport downstairs and eat their own meal there - to avoid getting child removal threats from the game. Although, it saw fit to remind me that toddlers are helpless - which I very well know! I ain't "🐸🐸🐸🐸"

On a bad day, I'd be in tears out of frustration right now. These unbearable situations just keep piling up. Why is it so hard to simply make things work in this game? One can only wonder...

*Heavy sigh*

I totally sympathize with you. The parents need a child care book or something.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    I will only add use the PAUSE button, it is your friend. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Or you could turn off autonomy while there's a toddler in the household, makes things a lot easier in my experience.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • groovyloopylougroovyloopylou Posts: 18 Member
    drag food out of the fridge onto the floor in front of toddler and make the toddler grab serving. they happily nom the food sat on the floor. highchairs are decoration in my houses now ;)
  • OneAdorkableGirlOneAdorkableGirl Posts: 2,379 Member
    To avoid stair issues, parents going upstairs to eat, toddlers trying to go upstairs when they haven't yet learned how to climb up them, etc. Play single story houses. ♥ No second story? No problem. :)

In all seriousness, I am sorry that you're having frustrations with your game. This shouldn't be this difficult to play. Unfortunately for the Sims 4, it is. But I will say, Sims have been picking up their kids consecutively since like Sims 2 days. When they'd just put their toddler in the crib for them to sleep because they were cranky because they were sleepy, and then not five seconds later, another Sim would come in and pick them up!

I was always talking to my monitor.

"Why are you waking her/him up? D: !! "
    "We just put them to sleep!
    "Stop that! D: "

And of course, when you're playing a 100 Baby Challenge this is AWFUL. Especially when you're just starting out and you have no teenagers in the house yet to help your sleep deprived Founder with the little ones. Let's pick you up after we just got you to sleep, so we can sit you on the floor for no reason. #SimsLogic

I love this game. :D

However, yes, The Sims 4 had a rocky start and they haven't recuperated from this yet, unfortunately. They have a big huge mess to fix, but they're slowly working on it. This base game released "prematurely", so it's going to take a while to fix all the issues and things missing. But it's definitely improved since 2014.. because.. that was just.. Oof! a harsh /rough release.
  • BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    When taking care of toddlers make sure your older sims are always lined up to do something, that takes care of half these problems for me. Also houses without stairs are your friends.
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Thanks for all the advice and cheer-ups <3

After rage-aging the toddler to a YA, I made another one in CAS and gave it the Independent trait. That was a bliss. But I'm still surprised to see how the parents constantly want to watch or check up on it. They even resolve to watch Kids TV at all times instead of their usual favored channels. It seems a little obsessive, doesn't it?

Anyway, with the new toddler, I worked intensely to get its thinking skill up before anything else. More brains = fewer problems. I got all the skills maxed, then aged it up to a child since I play with aging off. I have mixed feelings, but at least this time it wasn't a total failure.

• EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    guess I won't have that problem, as I only play with one floor homes, I like them better. It seems I put food on the table and the toddler gets it and heads to the living room and crawls up on a chair and eats. that's one problem out of the way. I really rarely put toddler in high chair, I age them up as soon as they walk, talk and potty. never liked playing with them as they take up to much time and my sims lives are on hold. until they reach child age.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    Best way to play with toddlers is sadly not to play with them as a family (put them in high chairs, lift them up and carry them etc). But to play with them as if the household was a daycare, just put one plate of food on a table, or even on the floor and have the toddlers go and take it a plate and then go to a couch or a bench and eat it. Then you have a play room where you can have all their toys and them you have a large sleeping room where your toddlers can sleep.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    Best baby shower gift for Sims: three to four party-sized portions of spaghetti, mac & cheese, and garden salad prepared by a Fresh Chef.
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    It's fairly ridiculous as well as sad that one has to adjust everything even the very layout of the house in order to lower frustration while playing with even a single toddler. It's just not right. I don't think small children will ever become a regular part of my family in Sims 4.

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    A sim can holding their cat while watching tv or even sitting or talking with other and yet they wont even do that with their toddler for just 10 sim minutes, why do they have to ask the agreement of their toddlers to put them to sleep or even taking a bath, if they have to they can just ask them as an interaction while still holding them so they dont have to go downstair put down their toddler there and then ask them, it's annoying really i ended up cheated all todds motives most of the time.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    @izecson I agree with you. In real life we don't ask toddlers if it's alright that we take care of them. We just do it. For some reason, toddlers are made small deities in Sims 4 and I'm really, really opposed to it.

• MindsimscreateMindsimscreate Posts: 414 Member
    1. Remove all high chairs from your house and replace with cute animal armchairs :)
    2. Make sure all sims are downstairs when it is toddlers eating time
    3. Watch your sims like a hawk and cancel out any parental action to check on or pick up toddlers. Make sure you are ninja fast.
    4. Regularly practice deep breathing and relaxation techniques before entering into a household that has toddlers and also when the toddler session has finished.

@elanorbreton I love this! I practice these steps quite often considering my only household has a toddler!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    My Sim had to talk to her youngest, a toddler, before, during, and after his uncle's wedding. Child thought it was cool to make a mess, for which he was properly scolded. They get to the wedding venue, and the little darling is at it again, just behind the last pew. Yep, makin' a MESS. He gets scolded yet again. Before the reception was over, he was for a third time that day, making a mess! This is the same child I posted about who was throwing a class A-1 fit because he was tired of playing with dolls in the doll house. Mind you, he's Independent and NOBODY was forcing him to play. :* I bet his parents are going to have continued woes with this one. >:) LOL
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • ladysweettartladysweettart Posts: 239 Member
    edited February 2019
    I've had the story frustration as well, I'll tell the mom or one of the teens to read a toddler a story, and they will proceed to pass up perfectly good chairs right next to the toddler bookcase to go upstairs. Then by the time the toddler makes it up the stairs, the story is more or less over. It's pretty ridiculous. Why they can't do the logical thing and just pick the nearest chair to sit in? I have no idea!

I've also had the scenario you speak of with toddlers carrying their plate all the way upstairs to eat sitting next to others in the family, when their hunger is in the red. Mind you there are at least six of those big plush animal chairs in the toddler basement, so no need for them to walk all the way upstairs to sit and eat! Again, no logic here....someone that hungry would just sit in the closest spot and chow down. Instead the game decides that even though their hunger is in the red and their attention level is just fine, the toddler cares more about sitting next to and talking to a family member, and all the while the game is saying "XYZ is very hungry. Be sure to feed them before XYZ gets taken away"!!!! Really game?
    I have a YouTube Channel dedicated to Sims 4! You can find it here if you are so inclined!

www.youtube.com/c/LadySweettart
  • ThePocketWeaselThePocketWeasel Posts: 103 Member
    I feel you. One of my families has two toddlers at the moment and I'm thinking of just ageing them both up. One can walk up and down stairs (but I have the highest walls, so it takes forever) and the other can't. I keep getting the parents to pick the toddlers up to take them downstairs but they pick them up, put them down in the same spot, and then walk to the spot they were supposed to put the toddlers. I've just started putting food upstairs on the floor for them because I can't be bothered with the faffing.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    @MDianaSanders does it make the highchair thing stop? Will the toddlers stay in high chairs or will the parents still take them out if I tell the parent to feed the child etc.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    Simpkin wrote: »
    @MDianaSanders does it make the highchair thing stop? Will the toddlers stay in high chairs or will the parents still take them out if I tell the parent to feed the child etc.

Simple - get rid of the High chair. Just stick a few in restaurants but none in your sims house and you will be much happier.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    @Writin_Reg I have never used them as I didn't have toddlers/kids around when we got them and I saw people saying how horrible they are. But the tots look cute in them so I thought if the no autonomy completely solves the issues I might try.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
    edited February 2019
    That I cannot say - I just know the high chair has been a point of contention since toddlers came out - but seems to work okay in restaurants as long as the parents bring the toddler a bagged meal.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• ForkySporkyForkySporky Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2019
    I believe I saw a mod on ModTheSims that kept your sims from constantly checking on their toddlers.

*edit* He moved it to SimAsylum. btw, content creator has a potty mouth, if that kind of thing offends you, heads up.

http://simsasylum.com/tfm/index.php?/topic/12700-autonomous-toddler-far-less-check-toddler-less-watch-toddler-longer-buff-cooldowns/

Hope this helps? And that you use CC?

Oh! This one lets them sit in a highchair longer

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175410477513/longer-sit-in-high-chair-toddler-will-sit-longer
    Post edited by ForkySporky on
  • DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    The high chair works best if you put the food on it first and then the toddler, but just putting out food for them to eat is easier. I've been playing a new game for a few weeks and my sim has had 9 children, including four sets of twins, and it has been constant toddlers. And her eldest and his husband just had twins who just aged up to toddlers. Those two are actually a lot more annoying than all of their aunts and uncles and I think it has a lot to do with the stairs. The primary family is in an apartment.

My tips would be play one story houses or apartments, don't bother with the high chair, keep the toddlers on their tablets as much as possible to keep them busy (they won't stop that action unless their needs get really low, so parents can't interrupt them and they can't decide to make a mess - also they never decide to be sad because they played with them too long), and micromanage the parents to keep them from being stupid.

Every toddler so far has ended up with all skills at level 3 or higher. I haven't had any max out all skills yet, because my sanity requires that with huge families I set moderate goals for each life stage.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I'm sick of these bugs as well, it's really aggravating to see these year (plus) old issues not getting official fixes when unofficial fixes exist via mods. I'm at a point where I'm questioning what on earth is going on with the devs and these bugs? It's clear there are ways to fix these bugs since mods have been fixing a ton of bugs for some time now, but yet the devs struggle to keep a bunch of these issues under control. I don't understand. I repeat, I don't understand.