Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's the most fun day you had in Sims 4.

StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
The most remembered day for me on the Sims is when we got pools, I exchanged all my ponds for real pools that was the best Sims 4 day ever.
we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
Post edited by Stormsview on

Comments

• StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited February 2019

I got the cute Chinese family I also gave them a big beautiful home.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    edited February 2019
    I tend to get the opposite a lot in my game. Its to the point in one of my saves where I almost have to lock the doors to the toddler's room from the parents just so the poor little guys can get some time away from them because mom and dad were always fussing, feeding, bathing and putting to bed.

Example: I had one mom sim that would cancel every single action I gave her to go check on the toddler. It was so frustrating because her bladder bar was red, her hunger bar was red, her sleep bar was bright orange and I was afraid she was going to die of starvation before she would eat. The toddler's needs were all in the green because mamma just kept going to care for her, but at the expense of her own health. I get that in the real world, we tend to do this... skip meals and rest to make sure our children are well cared for, but in real life we're more resilient than sims. We can survive skipping meals and sleep. They...just die. I very nearly cheated her needs with the 'make happy' cheat because I was getting very nervous that grim would visit and leave her little toddler motherless. (the father was already dead. He got struck by lightning. :\ He had the 'storm chaser' trait and wouldn't keep his butt in the house during the storm.

So, the only thing I can think is how cold hearted/caring they are depends majorly on which traits and hidden traits they have.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    My sims always take care of the toddlers first even without me controlling, it's so bad that I will lock toddlers into a room by themselves just so they can have some alone time.
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg
  • LadyTigressLadyTigress Posts: 183 Member
    Honestly I think you might just have gotten unlucky, usually in my games the parents do take care of toddlers without me controlling them to do so
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited February 2019
    I agree with OP. My biggest problem with toddlers is that I feel the gameplay revolved around them is incredibly poorly adjusted. Everything is off balance when there is a toddler in the house...unless, I take full control.

First off, the parents play a game of hit and miss every time when it comes to helping their small child with a need. Second, the parents are obsessed with feeding the toddler regardless of the problem. Sad? Here's food. Dirty diaper? Here's food. Need attention? Here's food. And not just any food, right? No, it has to be chips and crackers which send the child's blood sugar sky rocketing. And so then we go again: Lather-rinse-repeat.

Moreover, if the parents (and I) aren't in toddler worship mode 24/7, we get threats from the game and the finger of neglect is being pointed at us just because the child has to wait a friggin' moment for that attention, because I can't/won't drop everything instantly to make the parents take care of it.

Well, that was my two cents. Sorry about the negative outburst. But I know exactly what I like and don't like in this game :)

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited February 2019
    I don't think anyone programmed parents to ignore toddlers' cries or take their food. They did program thunderstorms to be optional, so if they cause stressful situations for you, you may consider turning them off. Or giving parents the Carefree trait so they don't automatically freak out and run indoors. Also, thinking a kid is following and suddenly realizing they're not does unfortunately does happen to parents in the real world. In real life, parents notice within a few seconds and react, but the Sims aren't programmed to always keep their toddlers in sight. Nor should they be, in my opinion. The toddler stage is supposed to roughly represent ages 18 months to 6 years. A preschooler does not need eyes on them every second. Plus, the Sims removes certain real world dangers. Sim toddlers live in a world where they will never get kidnapped or hit by a car or attacked by a dog. Ergo, adult Sims have no issue with them wandering outside by the road. All the toddlers automatically stay near enough to home and can't interact with anything potentially harmful. Until Seasons was released, there wasn't even anything outside that could really bother them.

If you think the parents should be programmed to be more watchful of their kids in bad weather or that there should be an option for "cook a meal for toddler" that prevents any other Sim from taking the food, you should absolutely suggest it. But in the meantime, you can also just make bigger meal portions or store food in the toddler's inventory. Harvestables like strawberries and bananas don't go bad and make a great toddler snack when they're waiting for a meal.

Hope this helps!
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I don't think anyone programmed parents to ignore toddlers' cries or take their food. They did program thunderstorms to be optional, so if they cause stressful situations for you, you may consider turning them off. Or giving parents the Carefree trait so they don't automatically freak out and run indoors. Also, thinking a kid is following and suddenly realizing they're not does unfortunately does happen to parents in the real world. In real life, parents notice within a few seconds and react, but the Sims aren't programmed to always keep their toddlers in sight. Nor should they be, in my opinion. The toddler stage is supposed to roughly represent ages 18 months to 6 years. A preschooler does not need eyes on them every second. Plus, the Sims removes certain real world dangers. Sim toddlers live in a world where they will never get kidnapped or hit by a car or attacked by a dog. Ergo, adult Sims have no issue with them wandering outside by the road. All the toddlers automatically stay near enough to home and can't interact with anything potentially harmful. Until Seasons was released, there wasn't even anything outside that could really bother them.

If you think the parents should be programmed to be more watchful of their kids in bad weather or that there should be an option for "cook a meal for toddler" that prevents any other Sim from taking the food, you should absolutely suggest it. But in the meantime, you can also just make bigger meal portions or store food in the toddler's inventory. Harvestables like strawberries and bananas don't go bad and make a great toddler snack when they're waiting for a meal.

Hope this helps!

I always keep some harvestables in every Sim's inventory for a quick hunger fix, and it's especially useful for toddlers - they often wake up needing both potty and food, and if you feed them a meal, it's going to be too late for the potty.

Storms are a missed opportunity in the programming - parents do grab their toddlers in a fire and should do the same when 'running inside'. Quite often, there's a collision of people trying to care for the toddler, but they somehow manage to sort it out in a fire. (I get a bit annoyed with the 'run inside' action - if my Sim has enough wellness to teleport, I want her to teleport into the house, not run through the storm. I can cancel the 'run inside', but it reappears.) I've never been in a situation in which my Sims were out-of-doors with their toddlers when a storm started, but I can see the problem - you have to get them to grab the toddler and then go inside, and in between, you've got that 'run inside' popping up. In a fire, 'grab toddler and run outside' overrides 'stand in front of fire and panic'.

(Now, I'm wondering what would win in a fire during a thunderstorm.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
    edited February 2019
    When you love a game like I do Sims its fun just to think of the good times.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    I like applesauce. (Especially with latkes--yummy!) And I'll totally grab animal crackers when I'm having a sweet craving. :)

I like your idea for a parent to grab a toddler in a storm the same way they would in a fire. You should definitely suggest that.

I thought "Call to Meal" basically did what you're suggesting--the Sim makes a meal with four or eight servings, and then once they're called, everyone in the family comes and takes a serving. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean?

@Nindigo, I'm with you on the toddlers. The game sometimes feels too close to reality there. Toddlers do not understand "wait," and they have this magical way of making you feel like a terrible parent for not dropping everything you're doing to attend to them. (Even when the thing you're doing is making them dinner!) This is why I have no interest in the Parenthood game pack. Though I totally get that other players love the challenge of realistic game play. To each their own. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I tend to have the opposite experience. I generally make my toddlers very independent, perhaps because I run into bugs so often when I don't (example: high chairs, going up and down the stairs to pick a child up even though there's space upstairs). I see the parents doing the watch toddler and check toddler interactions fairly often, and I have to cancel them before the highchair nonsense starts (I keep them around for aesthetics but maybe I should delete them all).

I will agree though that in the middle of a bad storm, it's incredibly sad and annoying when all Sims run inside but don't do anything about toddlers, and this should be fixed. Also when it's very cold/hot out parents should check toddlers, making sure they're dressed warmly enough or giving them sippy cups if it's hot.

Overall, I find in my gameplay that toddlers actually get the most attention out of all the child life stages. Parents never wake to a baby's cry, and basically ignore kids and teens altogether unless they happen to end up in the same room or need to chat to someone while eating. I like the kids and teens to be a bit more on their own, but automatic things like waving when they went to school or hugs when the parents get home I miss. And I could go on for ages about all my problems with TS4 babies.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    It's truly horrible how parents ignore their toddlers' needs so much. Oddly enough, my teens are usually taking care of the younger kids more than the parents. Maybe I just get the weirdest "luck", but very often my teens will help their younger siblings with homework, play with them, feed/bathe the toddlers, etc. Rarely does that happen for the parents automatically. But like I said, maybe I'm just unlucky.
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    My sims will actually check on their toddler and take care of their needs after a while. Its different with each (game) day and with each save/player . They arent perfect or as good as I usually am at managing their kids though.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • EMCba2600EMCba2600 Posts: 38 Member
    Sims rely on the player to take care of them and their families. That's what one of the original ideas for the Sims was; taking care of people so they didn't die. I'm sorry that your game is having bad luck, but everyone's game is random and different. Yours, I think, will get better soon.
    Origin ID: EMCba2600
    tumblr
    Daily Updates and More!
    edited February 2019

Your Awesome so I gave you one. 😊 Welcome to the Sims forums.
  • ZoraZeldaZoraZelda Posts: 29 Member
    Your right tho, sometimes my sims will have newborn babies, who will be crying their eyes out and they just head STRAIGHT for the TV
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,224 Member
    I've had way more parents who were constantly watching and tending to their toddlers, to the point of wanting to autonomously check them when the toddlers were asleep than I've had them ignore the toddlers. Only one incident where a very hungry father took a sandwich meant for his starving toddler before I caught him. He was closer to the food than the toddler was, so it was my fault.
    image.png
    Stormsview wrote: »
    If the programmers did not want parents to eat toddlers food, Then why did they change the rules, before applesauce was just for toddlers. Before parents could not eat animal crackers.
    So now the full baby menu is available to parents. Why? What do parents need with applesauce and animal crackers? Before the food that was available to the baby through the highchair was eaten only by toddlers.

Parents could also get the full toddlers menu out of the fridge to give to their toddlers, most of us have more than one toddler, and you can only carry one item at a time from the toddler menu to a little table, giving time for any hungry adult to take the toddlers food.

What happened to cause a change?
    Parents were tired of the highchair and could still feed their babies the food. So to keep up the stress in caring for our toddlers, a hungry parent can now eat the toddler's food, the feed me first programming when you ask them to get toddlers food from the former toddler's only menu. It was no reason for this to be changed.

While this is true, this is not my issue.
    I want to see parents get their toddlers out of the rain or thunderstorm just as they do themselves and not leave them by the curve. Parents care about themselves first. The truth they will not go back for the toddler This should be programmed to take your toddler to safety first

They could be programmed to feed their family if they have one, cook full meals to share with the family when they have kids and toddlers. this is easy to do and will help a lot.

If you are a single player then yes just get a cake just for you.

Yes, it's terribly annoying that you can get animal crackers for a 'quick meal', but you can't give that meal directly to the toddler. I can tell the parent to have a quick meal, but it's almost impossible to stop the parent eating it, even if the parent isn't hungry. By the time it gets to the toddler, only a few bites are left. (And you know it's all the broken crackers, with no heads.)
    edited February 2019

I love to make up stories for my sims families.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,838 Member
    If the programmers did not want parents to eat toddlers food, Then why did they change the rules, before applesauce was just for toddlers. Before parents could not eat animal crackers.
    So now the full baby menu is available to parents. Why? What do parents need with applesauce and animal crackers? Before the food that was available to the baby through the highchair was eaten only by toddlers.

Parents could also get the full toddlers menu out of the fridge to give to their toddlers, most of us have more than one toddler, and you can only carry one item at a time from the toddler menu to a little table, giving time for any hungry adult to take the toddlers food.

What happened to cause a change?
    Parents were tired of the highchair and could still feed their babies the food. So to keep up the stress in caring for our toddlers, a hungry parent can now eat the toddler's food, the feed me first programming when you ask them to get toddlers food from the former toddler's only menu. It was no reason for this to be changed.

While this is true, this is not my issue.
    I want to see parents get their toddlers out of the rain or thunderstorm just as they do themselves and not leave them by the curve. Parents care about themselves first. The truth they will not go back for the toddler This should be programmed to take your toddler to safety first

They could be programmed to feed their family if they have one, cook full meals to share with the family when they have kids and toddlers. this is easy to do and will help a lot.

If you are a single player then yes just get a cake just for you.

Yes, it's terribly annoying that you can get animal crackers for a 'quick meal', but you can't give that meal directly to the toddler. I can tell the parent to have a quick meal, but it's almost impossible to stop the parent eating it, even if the parent isn't hungry. By the time it gets to the toddler, only a few bites are left. (And you know it's all the broken crackers, with no heads.)

So true! :p
  • ChuChuExpressChuChuExpress Posts: 3,228 Member
    Yeah, when you're playing god in the sims 4, it's not up to the parents to look after their toddlers, it's you. AND YOU CREATE THEM. This is why I have autonomy off, with the most seriously annoying interactions stifled by mods.
    e6581e69b0d7d8f9e02cb1e30b50f464959bfb2a.png
    Sims 4 Family: Benjamin, Shine, Princess Roddy, Sophia and Hamish Furystrykar and Shelly Heart. Princess Roddy is my avatar, and he's a boy!
    Let those smiles spread!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    My Sims must be phenomenal, then. Of course, I equip them with the Love of Family trait, (one of the few traits that seems to have merit) and so my biggest gripe is when I as the player follow the Sim who has an Active career, leaving a Sim behind to care for the wee ones, mind you, only to return from the singer's gig to find the wee ones all in the red. This also occurs whenever they go to Daycare. Nannies are useless. I've had much better luck with the trusted Butler, but then again, I make certain my Sims have a good relationship with the Butler, too.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    edited February 2019
    They do some funny and cute things daily, I love when the school bus bring them home.
  • MaiaPlaysSimsMaiaPlaysSims Posts: 218 Member
    Yeah, when you're playing god in the sims 4, it's not up to the parents to look after their toddlers, it's you. AND YOU CREATE THEM. This is why I have autonomy off, with the most seriously annoying interactions stifled by mods.

No, we are not playing god in the sims, and No, we can not do everything for the toddlers.
    A simmer is just a simmer in the game of Sims 4, we are not playing god:
    1. Simmers cannot bring a toddler in from the rain.
    2. Simmers cannot give a toddler a bubble bath.
    3. Simmers cannot play with a toddler.
    4. Simmers cannot cook for a toddler.
    5. Simmers cannot click on the highchair to bring up the food menu.
    6. Simmers cannot put a toddler in their highchair.
    7. Simmers cannot take a toddler out of their highchair.
    8. Simmers cannot read toddlers a bedtime story.
    9. Simmers cannot give a toddler loving hugs.
    10. Simmers cannot bring a toddler in from the storm.
    11. Simmers cannot potty train a toddler.
    12. Simmers cannot change a toddlers diaper.
    13. Simmers cannot teach a toddler all they need to learn.
    14. Simmers cannot take a toddler away from a fire.
    15. Simmers cannot make a toddler happy and enjoy their little sims life.
    16. Simmers can only direct a Parent to do any of these things and so if a parent cancels it out then it will not be done.
    That's the reason toddlers cannot live alone. I can not even perceive anyone thinking we the Simmers can do all that Parents were put in the family to do, Even the game itself will tell you that the baby is just and helpless toddler and need help. even independent toddlers are just toddlers.
    If I could have picked up the toddlers and carried them inside I would have.

Our only choice is to try to get the badly programmed parents to do what a parent should do in the game. That is care for their Toddlers and Not have this Me First Programming. That causes the Parent to eat first, to eat the toddler's food just because they now can eat all the toddler menu. And that causes them to leave a helpless toddler out in the rain.

The truth they have more respect for a Dog then the toddlers, After walking a dog they are programmed to bring the Dog inside the home. But the toddler they leave at the curb.

You play the parents and have them do it. It's a freaking game. You are supposed to play the game. You are supposed to make them do things. Sims are not real. They are characters. You play the characters. Play the toddlers. Have them ask the parent Sims for what they need. Play the parent Sims. Have them do things for the toddlers. If the parents wont bring the toddlers outside, then have them go back out and get them and have the toddler walk inside. If you wait for the Sims to do everything on their own then you will be severely disappointed. The whole point of the Sims is to play God. You create a d world and live it your way. It's supposed to be fun. I dont understand what you are getting worked up about.
    My Sims must be phenomenal, then. Of course, I equip them with the Love of Family trait, (one of the few traits that seems to have merit) and so my biggest gripe is when I as the player follow the Sim who has an Active career, leaving a Sim behind to care for the wee ones, mind you, only to return from the singer's gig to find the wee ones all in the red. This also occurs whenever they go to Daycare. Nannies are useless. I've had much better luck with the trusted Butler, but then again, I make certain my Sims have a good relationship with the Butler, too.

I used to love that trait, but it seemed to get buggy, and I haven't used it in a while. My Sims would be constantly sad about 'missing family', even when they'd just interacted with family members. The only thing that would stave off the moodlet was to have them chat with each other, and I tend to limit that to a bit of chat during dinner to keep the social bar full. Helping with homework or teaching their toddlers didn't qualify as interacting with family members.
    edited February 2019

😘

Happy Simming. <3
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top