Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trade Off - TS4 Game-play Challenge by EQCreations

Comments

• FaoiltearnaFaoiltearna Posts: 767 Member
    @EuphorialQueen - if we decide to install the vault, is it one per lot, or one per Sim?
    One vault per Sim. I recently learned the vault does not combine funds. Whatever one Sim deposits belongs only to that Sim.

So if that's the case, couldn't it be one vault per lot? If I'm reading what you wrote correctly, Marshall and Upton could both share a vault, with Marshall's funds being separate from Upton's funds, correct? I'm thinking of the extra space two vaults would take up.
  • EuphorialQueenEuphorialQueen Posts: 6,224 Member
    edited February 2019
    When one Sim makes a deposit the vault belongs to that Sim only.
    Marshall makes a deposit to his vault. The vault then belongs to Marshall and he is the only one with access to that vault.
    Upton would not be able to add or withdraw from that vault.
    When one Sim makes a deposit the vault belongs to that Sim only.
    Marshall makes a deposit to his vault. The vault then belongs to Marshall and he is the only one with access to that vault.
    Upton would not be able to add or withdraw from that vault.

Gotcha! Thanks for explaining to migraine brain. :smile: Now to get back to building, and see if I can revamp things to allow for two vaults. Hrm. :grimace:
  • PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    I started this challenge as i enjoy the short ones, had a couple of issues. Broken items and getting them repaired, easy enough for the controlled Sims side of the duplex but what about non controlled side. Have been lucky with the plumbing its only broke as i played that side, the stereos however keep breaking. Should stuff be ignored or repair man hired or repaired by Sim?

Illness, my Sims are constantly sick, controlled side gets the giggles every day, uncontrolled side is scratchy. I have already probably cheated here as made both drink medicine but its still coming back. Can i make them drink medicine or orange juice or should i just wait until Sunday and ignore uncontrolled side?
    @Plainevil Hello and welcome to the challenge.
    Repairs are difficult for this especially with essentials like plumbing. I used the small portable type stereos which seem to break a lot. Options for repairs are to ignore, pull a portable item to the controllable Sim to repair or have the controllable Sim call a repair person using the phone.
    Or .... :evil grin: let the items stay broken until they trade off.

Illness can be passed back and forth. To prevent this I would have them controlled long enough to drink orange juice and sleep. Medicine can be bought on the phone under "buy gifts". That option might be specific to Seasons.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited February 2019
    I'm guessing you can also use the club option and set repair as a club activity also? I'm asking.
    I just noticed Oscar the slobs shower was broken and Felix just went to work. Since it's Thursday I'm debating what to do lol.

Oh I had to add what about lot traits... don't gnomes fix stuff overnight?
    egTcBMc.png
    Okay I just had a door lock issue .. not with clubs. Felix got home and I had him clean the kitchen and he walked right into Oscars room and grabbed a dirty glass before I could get him. I checked and the door could be unlocked.. so it was locked. I'm pretty careful but maybe I made a mistake and didn't lock it only to Oscar but I can't see the setting so will relock it and hope it's not actually some bug.
    egTcBMc.png
    @EuphorialQueen is it okay to purchase journals for them? I don't know if they'll write independently, but if so, that would be a nice thing for Felicia to boost her writing skills during the uncontrolled weeks - at least until she earns her computer. :smile:
    edited February 2019
    @Faoiltearna Highly recommend the personal journals. All my Sims get one. I have not seen them use them autonomously but they are a quick way to not writing skill. They can also help diffuse negative emotions.
    Speaking of skills, the cooking skill can be boosted by making sack lunches (Parenthood). My Sims still do not have a stove. Only a fridge and counter. When controlled they make sack (or is it pack?) lunches and the plus is a nice happy moodlet. Between that and salads Castle has level 5 cooking skills and has only been controlled one week so far.
    Sharing my household:
    Castle & Bice by EQ
    Bouncee Castle - Party Animal
    Bice Tuttle - Fabulously Wealthy
    BC Castle
    https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/81B453A636B611E88B9A38E726CE10E3
    Bouncee Castle was a foundling discovered by the Bouncy Castle at a local carnival. His parents were never identified and the foster home called him BC (for Bouncy Castle) and the name stuck. Original by #EQCreations
    Questions that have been asked:
    I have not disallowed having a pet for this challenge. One can be adopted/added if you wish but only the active Sim can care for the pet. The inactive Sim can interact autonomously.
    This challenge is intended to play out with two Sims but if alien abduction (of a male) results in pregnancy you can choose to keep or send to home world. I always keep the babies but you can choose.
    edited February 2019
    So week 2 was fun. I don't know how long updates will be recieved so I'll put their stories and pictures in spoilers cause I can get chatty :).
    I'll say here that by the end of the week they had about 16250 in funds. I did a house upgrade and some furniture upgrades and went down to about 8K. They had at least one promotion each and I think Felix (controlled sim) may have had two.
    I think the thing I like most about this challenge is I'm revisiting traits and careers I haven't done in awhile. Seeing things I missed before also. I love anticipating freeplay Sunday, because that's the day I like to give them their rewards and really take stock of what's happened. I also like seeing the uncontrolled sim and being I guess slightly anxious or just interested in what they are doing.
    I'm a pretty big micromanager so this is good for me. I can do this and not face a long, long challenge. I know this has an end point that's not too far away.

Anyway stories/thoughts/pictures on their week.
    Felix controlled:
    I wanted to really work on getting Felix's painting up and he has reached level 7 in painting skill by the communal Sunday. He also painted two masterpieces by Sunday. I wanted to skill him some in mechanical too because it's a goal of mine to later go down the nerd brain path on both of them. So he did a few skill levels at the library then did an upgrade or two in his bathroom.. I also found out that tending gardening gives Felix fun.. is it the neat trait? The squeamish and neat trait are interesting in combination. Felix cleans and loves that but is also grossed out by it. He also gets fun from tending garden which I didn't know happened. I guess that's linked to the neat trait.
    nwzi1i.png
    2lcqsqs.png
    Oscar uncontrolled:
    He went to work everyday he was suppose too and mostly stayed on top of his needs once they hit yellow. He had a shower break and I used the gnome lot trait to fix it the next day. He was of course messy.. mostly in his room though as he goes to eat in there while watching tv. The main thing he did autonomously that was watch tv .. I guess play on the computer and socialize there and also he did plant research on his own. I had to throw in a shot of his failed love day experience. He and Felix were choked up over having a bad holiday. Since I controlled Felix I could easily override his sorrow... but poor Oscar wallowed in it. I've decided to get Oscar a gf (and part of me says make Felix and Oscar lovers), so I'm kind of warring with myself. I know I'm getting Oscar a guitar though and Felix a keyboard. I want to see if once I skill them if they will use them autonomously also.
    2mxnx8o.png
    rm2rds.png
    Oh I also had to put a picture in this thread I started about the way townies dress. If I decide to get Oscar a gf it might be Mrs Munch
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/955245/oh-yeah-townie-fashion-at-its-finest#latest
    egTcBMc.png
    @hermitgirl
    I think the thing I like most about this challenge is I'm revisiting traits and careers I haven't done in awhile. Seeing things I missed before also. I love anticipating freeplay Sunday, because that's the day I like to give them their rewards and really take stock of what's happened. I also like seeing the uncontrolled sim and being I guess slightly anxious or just interested in what they are doing.
    So happy you are enjoying this challenge. I usually play to hardcore max all the things! but this type of challenge is also a good way for me to slow down and explore the forgotten things.
  • BUTTONSGINGERBUTTONSGINGER Posts: 5,702 Member
    Wheeeeeeeeee! I have completed this challenge. It was a lot of fun. My newest favorite way to play!

You can follow my attempt at A Double Quandary

02-05-32.png
    "Cheers! We did it!"

Finley:
    finley10.png
    Maxed Skill: Logic
    Aspiration: Leader of the Pack

Skyla:
    skyla_10.jpg
    Maxed Skill: Cooking
    Aspiration: The Curator
    Holy Plumbob, this is a hard challenge! Got through the first Sunday okay, because I could bounce back and forth between them (as I'm used to doing), but today (being Monday and thus the start of hands off the second sim) I had to remember I could look in on the other sim, but no answering phone calls for them, no making them go inside (instead of standing on the sidewalk for 45 minutes after they get home from work), etc. Argh! The controller in me wants to make them do things! :expressionless: This is a challenge indeed. :smiley: Thanks, EQ... I think :neutral::wink:
    Changing aspirations as you play is allowed and is encouraged. Traveling alone as you described to a venue for skills is permitted. Social events can be handled to accommodate the schedules of both Sims.
    For instance uncontrolled Sim can tag along if they are not working.

Based off this answer, I have a question. Does this mean, if I send Felicia to the library to write, I can bring Ophelia along and she can do whatever she wants? I'd still be controlling only Felicia, but Ophelia would be able to fill her social needs by either chatting with Felicia (while she tries to write) or chatting with whoever else is at the library. I wouldn't be controlling Ophelia, just dragging her along with.
    Holy Plumbob, this is a hard challenge! Got through the first Sunday okay, because I could bounce back and forth between them (as I'm used to doing), but today (being Monday and thus the start of hands off the second sim) I had to remember I could look in on the other sim, but no answering phone calls for them, no making them go inside (instead of standing on the sidewalk for 45 minutes after they get home from work), etc. Argh! The controller in me wants to make them do things! :expressionless: This is a challenge indeed. :smiley: Thanks, EQ... I think :neutral::wink:
    Oh my YES I need to control ev-er-y-thing! The sidewalk thing especially drives me to distraction :#
    Changing aspirations as you play is allowed and is encouraged. Traveling alone as you described to a venue for skills is permitted. Social events can be handled to accommodate the schedules of both Sims.

Based off this answer, I have a question. Does this mean, if I send Felicia to the library to write, I can bring Ophelia along and she can do whatever she wants? I'd still be controlling only Felicia, but Ophelia would be able to fill her social needs by either chatting with Felicia (while she tries to write) or chatting with whoever else is at the library. I wouldn't be controlling Ophelia, just dragging her along with.
    That is correct. I just let them wander at will doing whatever ;)

edited February 2019
    Oh my YES I need to control ev-er-y-thing! The sidewalk thing especially drives me to distraction :#

That is correct. I just let them wander at will doing whatever ;)

While waiting for clarification, I went ahead and sent Felicia to the library on her own. She got her writing done (finished a book of short stories and wrote for 1 hour while inspired, so almost one aspiration level finished!). When I got home, Ophelia of course was doing her own thing, and her needs were totally balanced. Now it's 3am, she's still up wandering around and she has to go to work at 9! Argh! I'm sitting here twitching over not being able to send her to bed. :grimace:

Next trip to the library after work, Ophelia will be coming along, so that her needs aren't balanced like that. It'll be hilarious next week, dragging poor lazy Felicia to the gym while Ophelia works out. :smirk:
    I sent mine to the library alone once. I think it was said I could in that type of situation? Usually I just plan it now when the other is at work lol..
    egTcBMc.png
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I sent mine to the library alone once. I think it was said I could in that type of situation? Usually I just plan it now when the other is at work lol..

Yeah, you totally can send them alone. I just wondered if it was okay to drag the uncontrolled sim along. :smiley: I like bringing the other along since it fills a need for both of them. It gives me the daytime to get gathering done.
    Interesting thing noted while playing... apparently frog viewing is FUN! Ophelia's avatar was yellow-orange from lack of fun. Then all of a sudden it turned green. I found her viewing the frog. So later, I sent Felicia over to view the frog and *her* fun meter went up, too! So keep those frogs out where they can be viewed for a little independent fun raising. :wink:
    Wanted to update with how I'm using the vaults. Each work day, half of the salary goes into their vault, half stays in the household funds. Anything gathered and sold goes to household funds. Bonuses from promotions go into the vault. Royalties from books and money from sold paintings or woodworkings goes into the household for this first rotation - to get their funds up some. I might change that in the next rotation, or I might leave it that way so that they can have funds for upgrading the house.

Oh! @EuphorialQueen if we add something to one side of the house, does it need to be added on the other as well? For instance, if I add a desk and the writer's computer to Felicia's side, do I need to add a desk and computer to Ophelia's side?
    Great use of the vault :+1:
    Additions to the lot can be personalized to each Sim and do not have to be added to both sides.