Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

19 years of The Sims - Happy anniversary!

Comments

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Good times had for many a year :)

latest?cb=20090327205356
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    Congrats to Devs.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    My passion for the Sims started when I was given the original game in 2000. It was a game i loved to play making magic, downtown, unleashed. I loved making stories and knew that I couldn't upload to the exchange and made a website illustrates my stories.

Sims2 came out and I loved building, decorating, adding expansions, uploading to the exchange, downloading. It bought fantasy and I loved playing the witches, wizards.

Sims3 was the best with open world, being able to ride horses, make faries, witches, vampires, wearwolfs, exploring egypt, France and entering tombs made play worth whole. The best was being able to build and add to the exchange. I did miss the built in story teller but being able to build was the best thing. The additional contents to buy made it more avoidable and the boardwalk and circus made it more playable.

Sims4 makes game play worth while. The families have traits, explore beyond the house, builds on play. The packs and expansions being adventor, acting, exploring with option of building. I find playing Sims4 is intresting. Being able to build and add to exchange and share on the forums makes it worth while.

Each version has it's quirks, positives and different approaches to play, story telling and building. The Sims is the only games that I have continued play as there's loads to explore, play each day.
  • JulianneALeeJulianneALee Posts: 109 Member
    My son gave me Sims 1 for Christmas in 2001. The first time I played it, I opened the Goth family. Cassandra came home from school, peed on the floor, then died, screaming, in a stove fire. My husband was listening, and went, "What in the world are you doing?"

I played Sims 1 until Sims 2 came out, and was enchanted by the life cycles. I cried when the first baby was born, then cried again when he died of old age. I populated a town, wanting to play it for ten generations, so I wasn't ready to switch games for Sims 3. I'd heard it was a resource hog, so I skipped it entirely.

I've been playing Sims 4 since its first release, and though it took some getting used to (and it took a long time for it to catch up with Sims 2 for things like toddlers, pets, and weather), I've populated another region where anyone can live in any neighborhood they like. I miss being able to edit the neighborhoods. In Sims 2 I had a family graveyard that was right on the property line between two houses. From the neighborhood view, it was impossible to tell where the line was. I could place trees to disguise the lot edges, and group the lots as I liked. I also liked being able to edit and create apartment houses. There just seemed to be more creative possibilities in Sims 2, where Sims 4 is a lot more structured.
    Julianne Lee
    Simmer since 2001
  • Jendowoz0612Jendowoz0612 Posts: 8,212 Member
    edited February 2019
    I have been with Sims from the beginning, even back to the days when there were SimMasters that looked after different sites. I was SimMasterJen and have continued to enjoy Sims. I was even put in the credits for testing Pets from Sims 3 it may have been even Sims 2 before it came out to sell. I've come a long way, from just playing the game to writing stories, to modelling sims and running competitions, gameplay, modelling and building competitions. One story that began as a Sims story, I turned into a full novel and am now waiting to have published. So I have a lot to thank Sims for and I hope it continues. <3<3
    Post edited by Jendowoz0612 on

• TheLostNightshadeTheLostNightshade Posts: 35 Member
    Wow, 19 years of The Sims. I'm very impressed, and I hope that'll continue for countless years and years to come.

I'm sure I really got into The Sims when I started playing The Sims FreePlay (I think), and when I watched a playlist of JackSepticEye's gameplay of The Sims 4, I decided: "I want to get into this. DEEPLY." So I did. I started small, from playing The Sims 3 on the Wii to MySims to then purchasing TS3 for my PC on Steam to buying two expansion packs for TS3, Pets, and Into the Future, and finally, getting The Sims 4 and TS4: City Living as a Christmas gift from one of my great friends.

I don't know what's next... But I'm excited.

Wishing you 19 years of pure and blissful AWE-SIM-NESS, guys! Happy Birthday!
    What? You-- I-- That doesn't even make any sense! Of course, Miles and Kiki have a great sibling selfie.
    p.png?size=1600x1200&size_mode=3
    TheLostNightshade: My best fwiend.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    edited February 2019
    I've been with it since the beginning! Even a little before if you want to qualify the citizens of Sim City as pre-Sim Sims! I was in middle school when it first came out, and I got into it pretty quickly, I even used the original Sims (and a screenshot) to recreate my little sister's bedroom as part of an map making project in her school.

One the few things missing now in terms of deep nostalgia from TS4 is Mrs. Crumplebottom. If we can get her, burglars, and Bonehilda to appear, I will die happy. Even better if you can have her show up as terrifyingly as it did in TS2, where she had the potential to crawl out of a well Ring-style after a bad wish.
  • PurplebutterflyPurplebutterfly Posts: 158 Member
    I had the Sims since the beginning and it came out on my birthday, which made it all the more sweeter. I loved Sims 1, but Sims 2 is my favorite, the expansions that were released with Sims 2 I enjoyed the most. I didn't start Sims 3 until much later and never really fell in love with it like I did with 1 and 2. Then came Sims 4, I totally love the graphics, build mode etc, but I wish the game featured Sims 2 elements and the way expansion packs were released. Anyway, I plan on continuing to be a sims fan. <3
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,608 Member
    edited February 2019
    My stepson gave me TS3 for Christmas 2010 having seen what a usless mayor I was in Sim City! Back then the laptop I had was an old cheapie and within 6 months it fried my screen! Already hooked I rushed out and bought a better one and then an even better one.
    I struggle to decide whether to play TS3 or TS4. I love them both for different reasons.
    Not enough time in the day to play as I'd like, but play as often as I can
    Happy Anniversary and thanks for inventing something that has kept me totally absorbed for many hours while my partner watches sport on the TV. Both happy!
    Post edited by February11 on
    MLgj4Vx.png
  • rsedorothyrsedorothy Posts: 1,898 Member
    My youngest son brought home a new game TS1 and said Mom you'd love this! I played for a while and by the time 'Living Large' was released I had to have the Sims on my own pc. So it will be19 years for me in October.
  • ladyankh40ladyankh40 Posts: 27 Member
    I've been reading a lot of your birthday wishes for the Sims lately and I have to say that this game has the best community in the gaming sphere. I working environment is full of negatively all day , I find the Sims community a healing balm to my bruised spirt at the end of the day. I would like to thank the developer and wish you another 19 +years of prosperity with the Sims franchise.
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I found out through an online friend via AOL in a chat group for adults with Spina Bifida. Hot Date was out at the time so I ended up with the base game and all EPs through Hot Date. I have kept track of the franchise since then.
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,745 Member
    I consider myself a "new" simmer since I started playing the third game in 2014. I used to be a modder and a player of an RPG game. A friend of mine lent me her Sims 3 disk because I was looking for ideas to start 3D-modelling modern furniture. Well, the 3d-modelling is in a hiatus but I felt in love with the game and I bought all expansion packs and most stuff packs throught the following years. Now I'm considering owing the store and keeping an eye out for a Sims 4 sale.

Another thing that I really like is the community. People are nice, there are plenty of blogs and we can share our gaming experiences without fear. The other communities I took part in weren't as lively as this one is.

Keep up improving and doing a great work!
  • ErwyleErwyle Posts: 17 Member
    I just started Sims 4 and love it. But I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Anniversary! :)
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    One the few things missing now in terms of deep nostalgia from TS4 is Mrs. Crumplebottom. If we can get her, burglars, and Bonehilda to appear, I will die happy. Even better if you can have her show up as terrifyingly as it did in TS2, where she had the potential to crawl out of a well Ring-style after a bad wish.
    OMG YES!!! We just have to have Mrs Crumplebottom come out this year! She was so creepy coming out of the well and made me laugh when she'd start whacking sims with her handbag.
  • WinthorpeWinthorpe Posts: 119 Member
    edited February 2019
    Five years apart, these are families I have been playing for nearly seven years and the Sims 2 itself for 11 years! It is the best ever game I have ever played.

51577584_2193303517396631_3107573284363829248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk5-3.fna&oh=eff2f684d5f4119096cd2f68d52bbde1&oe=5D0038DB
  • Bluebirddevil5970Bluebirddevil5970 Posts: 400 Member
    I started playing from day one when sims 1 was hard to look after babies mine mostly got taken off me it wanted feed every 2 seconds lol and when you had to try and get to the mansion that was the goal and then I loved sims cast away and urban too much i still have all them games and sims bustin out is it god the crazy gut that came and took your furniture if you didn't pay the bills loved the monkeys in sims cast away and the set up was so good then sims 2 and sims 2 pets hated that they were two separate games on console ofcourse was there another pets one I ant remember where there were little animal gates that you could lock so they wouldn't get out or could get your dog to guard your house so burglars didn't get in god I miss them need to bring burglars back and police and firemen and then sims 3 and sims 3 pets loved them both in their own ways and now sims 4 sims 4 is the only game I have bought packs for and my sims I loved never got to finish it but loved it same with the rest only sims game I have completed so far is cast away the rest I was too young to get what was happening I was just playing for the fun ah good times
  • Lexers615Lexers615 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Started playing in 2001. I still have a "The Sims: Vacation" t-shirt I bought on eBay years ago!
    My Studio
    My Traits: Socially Awkward / Artistic / Family Oriented / Hopelessly Romantic / Absent Minded
    Academic Trait: Adventurous
    Social Group Trait (Should I ever become "Nerd" enough): Computer Whiz
    ______
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” Will Wright
    "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." Cpt. Edward A. Murphy Jr, USAF
    Exchange_zpsioa8tt1v.jpg
  • awlchickawlchick Posts: 75 Member
    Happy Birthday Sims!! YAYYY! <3
    Can't believe it's been 19 years already.
    Cheers.
  • MeeshelbyMeeshelby Posts: 1,914 Member
    I was introduced to the Sims the year after it was first released and have been playing since the Sims 1! I still have all the CDs for the expansion packs. I LOVE the Sims!!
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    edited February 2019
    My very first time playing any of the Sims games was for the PS2 Console. I wasn't really too much into any kind of gaming, because none of it really caught my attention. It's not to say I didn't play anything before, because I did some, and it was mainly because of my husband who really was quite involved with it. But the games he liked were just a little too fast pace for me. Anyways one day back in 2001 my husband, our young sons, and I went to a used game store. While most stores who sell used games will keep the disk behind the counter so one would steal the merchandise, this store did not. I came across this game in the photo below, and what really caught my attention was the color of the disk. At the time I did not know this was a common color.

51389784_1206724552811171_4703660316414705664_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=49dd73681f3897d8d61f3c7d8294fa67&oe=5CFBDEBA

Anyways that night after the kids were put to bed was I able to finally see what this game was all about. This was very new and very confusing to me. It took me nearly eight hours to figure out how to even play that game. I didn't know anything about checking on the internet about talking to other players about an easier way of doing things. I didn't even discover about the forums until much later.

It wasn't until around 2005 was I able to even play Sims 2 for the PC. When I was able to play it, I didn't realize that the Oldies were related to the Pleasants. They were the very first couple I played in the game, it wasn't until later that I actually played the tutorial of the game. I have never been one to do things the easy way.
  • doublenoodlesdoublenoodles Posts: 89 Member
    This game means so much to me. It was a great bonding experience for me and my sisters. We would literally play for hours together every when the sims, sims 2 and sims 3 came out. I started playing the sims 1 on pc when I was 7 and the sims bustin out on ps2 (I know it's young) but my sisters are older so they helped me to play. We would make family's together and cause chaos because we were too young to play sensibly 😅 I remember our favourite pack of all time was sims 2 seasons, we loved the snow and the penguin the used to appear. Many fond memories!
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    wow I can't believe that I have been playing the sims for 19 yrs. And I still love it.
  • tinahjalmartinahjalmar Posts: 1,595 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    wow I can't believe that I have been playing the sims for 19 yrs. And I still love it.

Wow. I feel the same way! 19 years? I feel old :lol:
  • elinsimselinsims Posts: 15 Member
    The Sims is definitely one of my favourite games of all time, I always come back to it time and time again! In Sims 4 I discovered a real love for building, but my favourite memories will always be getting together with my two best friends to make families together :)