Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laundromat vs. Laundry on the lot: Which do you prefer?

Comments

• AlexandriaJadeAlexandriaJade Posts: 31 Member
    I only have my sims do laundry at home.
    I always do laundry on my sims lot. I didn't know you could make a laundromat!
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    I ignore the laundry system completely.
    I never use the laundry system. I find it more annoying than it's worth.

I'm one of the weirdos who loves doing laundry irl, but in the sims it's just awful. I usually just end up with piles of laundry photobombing my pictures and ugh no thanks. Gave up on it ages ago.
  • lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    It depends on the family; I like and use both.
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    Sorry, igazor, but you are wrong. I actually do enjoy doing laundry. It's my favorite of all the household chores I have to do. After all, I'm not using a washboard - the machine does the hard part. And I love getting the clean clothes out of the dryer, all clean and fresh smelling, then folding them and putting them in nice, neat piles.
    This part remind me of my childhood.
    We have a concrete washboard in my home and as a child we didn't have money to buy a washer, so the washboard was it. My mom wanted us not to be useless went it came to housework, that's why since we were children and we could reach the washboard, we would wash our own clothes and also iron them as needed and man, it was a pain :lol: specially denim jeans, those things get difficult when wet! and trying to squeeze the water out of them with tiny arms was the worst! :joy: . Then there were days when we would go to the laundromat to get our blankets clean and I liked it a lot, because they would put fabric softener and then lying in bed after getting them was the best feeling ever :love: (well, it still is!)
    I was so happy when those days were finally behind us because we got our first washer :smile: we never got a dryer though, so my clothes always dry on a clothes line. I think that's why I actually don't mind laundry, it's not like my favourite chore but it's a thing I need to do, and it's not like before, when I was just a child doing my hardest to get my clothes clean, now it's just dumping all the pieces and letting the machine do it's work :blush:
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    With this caveat, that I do not always bother with laundry at all, when I do, it is always at home. I am actively creating chores for my Sims to do to "keep house". The only time I have ever visited a laundromat was when my Sim met up with a date there. Seriously, we couldn't have met at the Red Rendezvous? It was open! :D
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    It depends on the family, but I prefer to get the washers.
    @Ziristha Bless your heart. :heart:
    :hushed:

But I'm sure it was a great learning experience that developed character and helped you appreciate hard work. :)

I despise laundry in real life! :grimace: I love to load it in the washer, but when it comes to folding and putting away, forget about it!

But yeah whether my Sims have a washer and dryer, which I mostly prefer, go to the laundromat, or don't deal with laundry at all is entirely up to the story I'm trying to tell. ;)
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • lowpolygallowpolygal Posts: 422 Member
    @emorrill thank you! although if it sounded like I was complaining I would like to clarify I didn't mean it that way :smile:. Back in those days I did find it bothersome and sometimes I would postpone it as much as I could, but I understood that it was something I needed to do, never thought much of it. And you're right, it was a great learning experience, so I'm really grateful to my mom for pushing us to be more independent by learning all those little things :smile:
    zDZ4NFB.png
    I have a Simblr
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Why is it I always need the choice that isn't there? :D This is closest, although I do add washer/dryer (or occasionally clothesline) at home once in a great while, like my current family has a laundry. I have one laundromat in one of my worlds but that's only because the architecture fit my downtown area. My sims don't actually go there. Even though I think the moodlets are really nice, I very rarely incorporate laundry into my sims' lives. I have plenty of laundry in my own life - need to find a way to mod that out. ;)
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Speaking of RL, I don't bother to do laundry, I agree when IreneSwift says that it's the machine that does the hard part. On the other hand, just like Waterdragon, I never iron, either. I don't even own an ironing board or the iron itself. XD

IRL I make laundry as simple as possible. No ironing and no folding, except for sheets and towels. Out of the dryer I hang all my cloths on hangers, even tee shirts. I do match my socks and roll a few things like nightgowns and long johns. My undies just get dumped into the appropriate drawer in my lingerie chest.
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    edited January 2019
    I mostly ignore the laundry system. doing the washing is tedious and boring in real space, I don't want to have to do it in my game. That said, one or two of my households have a washing machine. It's rare I bother with it though.

Edit -
    cwaddell wrote: »
    IRL I make laundry as simple as possible. No ironing and no folding, except for sheets and towels. Out of the dryer I hang all my cloths on hangers, even tee shirts. I do match my socks and roll a few things like nightgowns and long johns. My undies just get dumped into the appropriate drawer in my lingerie chest.

Ah, this sounds just like me!
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • bklienhartbklienhart Posts: 2,975 Member
    I only send my sims to the laundromat.
    As for my sims, I did send them to the laundromat once, long ago when I first began playing with Ambitions. But I didn't have them do any laundry there, because they couldn't afford it. By the time they can afford to throw away that much money a couple times a week, they can afford to have their own washing machine and clothesline.

A couple times a week? The laundry moodlets last about two weeks after a trip to the laundromat for me.

I always use a laundromat. I really hate either having piles of laundry all over the place, or a hamper in every room. I never heard of the super hamper, but I probably still won't use it.

I always put a mini-mall lot in my towns. It's got laundromat, consignment store, styling salon, and a variety of other shops, pet store, robot shop, college nerd shop, etc. Depending on which EPs I've got installed. They're great places for socializing.

• IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    bklienhart wrote: »
    As for my sims, I did send them to the laundromat once, long ago when I first began playing with Ambitions. But I didn't have them do any laundry there, because they couldn't afford it. By the time they can afford to throw away that much money a couple times a week, they can afford to have their own washing machine and clothesline.

A couple times a week? The laundry moodlets last about two weeks after a trip to the laundromat for me.

I always use a laundromat. I really hate either having piles of laundry all over the place, or a hamper in every room. I never heard of the super hamper, but I probably still won't use it.

I always put a mini-mall lot in my towns. It's got laundromat, consignment store, styling salon, and a variety of other shops, pet store, robot shop, college nerd shop, etc. Depending on which EPs I've got installed. They're great places for socializing.

It doesn't take that long for the hampers to get full. But I suppose that since there's no interaction for them to take the dirty laundry out of the hampers to take to the laundromat, you can get by without hampers if you use the laundromat instead? I didn't know anything about how that works in the game back then.
  • yoashmoyoashmo Posts: 528 Member
    I always put a laundromat in whatever town I'm playing, even if I have a family that has a washer and dryer in their home. But not everyone gets one in their home.

It's based on the lot. I have to believe the lot would realistically have a washer and dryer or clothesline.

Then it's based on who the sim is and if the sim wants it. I ignore the first wish for it bc I swear every sim gets that wish in the beginning. But if they roll it again I might consider it, if I think they are the type of sim that would genuinely want it. Like I'm not going to double down on a matching washer and dryer for my child aged sim. I'm also never going to think about buying it if they never roll a want for it.

And lastly it's based on simoleons. I use mods to make it harder for all Sims financially. I think without them it's too easy to get too rich. That's probably why I'm so fond of the laundry system, it makes them spend more money.

So some Sims will move into places that have a washer, dryer or clothesline. Some Sims will buy them. Some Sims will always use the laundromat. So I put one in every town, and some lots. I also put laundry rooms in the big LN style apartments.
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    yoashmo wrote: »
    Then it's based on who the sim is and if the sim wants it. I ignore the first wish for it bc I swear every sim gets that wish in the beginning.

LOL every sim does have those wishes for washers. I find it funny when a sim just wants a drier. Like "whaaat!? What are you going to do with it!?".
    bklienhart wrote: »

Sometimes I feel the laundry moodltes last forever.

I also thought that my sim would need to take the dirty clothes from home to the lot, but in the end, it's just to hang out at the lot so as to get the moodlets. It was a let down at first.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    I quite enjoyed the clothesline, it's still my favorite way to dry clothes. Not only is it nostalgic and homey, it gives those ecofriendly Sims a boost.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Me neither. Or does it simply mean placing a couple of washing machines and dryers in a building and let your sims wash? Do their dirty clothes pile up (or fill the basket) when they are on that lot?
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Me neither. Or does it simply mean placing a couple of washing machines and dryers in a building and let your sims wash? Do their dirty clothes pile up (or fill the basket) when they are on that lot?

@JoAnne65 You shouldn't have a hamper at home since they don't take the clothes from there to the lot. If you keep a hamper and do launtry on the lot, the clothes just pile up. Just add the washing machines and dryers to a community lot and have the sim do the whole laundry cycle and voila! Clean clothes and sheet moodlets.

The only problem is to keep an eye on the sim doing laundry, since I've never seen one taking their clothes from the washing machine to the dryer as soon as the washing is done.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    And NPC’s use it as well? Gotta try this :D
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I never used the laundromat. I always did laundry at home, at least, you can take hours before drying clothes or folding them without worrying. There can be leaks though... And piles of dirty clothes are annoying.

But now that I have to use laundromat in rl (cry) I'll probably investigate the laundromat in the game, to cope with the concept...
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    In larger worlds where there is space I will often place a laundromat, especially if I have a fair number of starter homes or small apartments in it. I do prefer having a washer and dryer or clothesline on the home lot for convenience though, so I went with that option.

However, I also have saves where I avoid the laundry system completely. One example is in the empty world I’m building up for fairies and other occult types; I haven’t placed any machines in the residences and I don’t have a laundromat either. No such thing as laundry there! :lol:
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    @igazor - I didn´t take it seriously. :D

The one and only time I gave my sims a clotheline, they insisted on always hanging up the clothes when it was raining. They get a dryer now.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • SummerskydreamerSummerskydreamer Posts: 1,681 Member
    edited January 2019
    I use the Washer an dryer in my sim's home i do put a laundromat for the other sims in the worlds.I do have baskets in the bedrooms an baths as well.
  • SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    I've always had laundry in my Sims home, but I just built my first laundromat in the gallery. Lots of big cities are combining a laundromat with entertainment like bars and clubs. So I turned the Oasis Springs Dust Bowl Maxis lot into Oasis Laundry N' Bowl, giving it a bit of a shabby vintage makeover, so there would be plenty of fun stuff for your Sim to do while they waited for their clothes to finish.

First Floor: laundromat, bowling, cafeteria/bar/snack lounge.

tumblr_plr1qzMktO1y0fxb6o1_1280.png

Closeup of laundry.

tumblr_plr1qzMktO1y0fxb6o3_1280.png

Second floor activities.

tumblr_plr1qzMktO1y0fxb6o2_1280.png

@JoAnne65 Last time I checked, most sims were dancing at the laundromat and it looked like a dance club. But one or two used the washers. There used to be a problem, though. Townies would use the machines and forget their clothes. Your sim couldn't take them out and all the washers would be full. I'm not sure if Nraas fixed that issue/perk/detail or whatever you call that. I don't consider it's a bug per se.

@Hejix It's best to use the laundromat than wash in the sink. I was thinking about @Ziristha 's childhood and it reminded me that a friend of mine used to do his laundry in the shower.

@SarahTheRed Your laundromat looks really cool. Those washers are really nice, BTW. I like how integrated with the bowling alley it is. Great job!
    Adding a bubble bar to the lot seems interesting too. hmmm

--- x --- x ---

@igazor inspired me to make Twinbrook laundromat more interesting for my sims. I transformed the second floor into an arcade. Any references to The Shining are intended.

32967050578_217c18ed43_c.jpg

46117470964_02dd7dd699_c.jpg

31901265467_1ffe7525e8_c.jpg

I was to use a Late Night bar and a snooker table, but my focus was the video games and those things took too much space. I can't wait for my toddlers to become children and drop by this place.

I should've waited a bit more to see which machines the ghost on the lot would've used. XD
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @igazor inspired me to make Twinbrook laundromat more interesting for my sims. I transformed the second floor into an arcade...

I was to use a Late Night bar and a snooker table, but my focus was the video games and those things took too much space. I can't wait for my toddlers to become children and drop by this place.
    Architect: Good news! Your laundromat project is done ahead of schedule and it came in at §50,000 under budget!

Client: So what's the bad news?

Architect:
    Uhm, we kind of forgot to include the washers and dryers and now there's no space left on the lot for them. Should we put a cheap basin, washboard, and clothesline in the basement in case anyone actually shows up with dirty laundry? :D
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor Washers are on the first floor. XD