Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gridlines?

Comments

• lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Turned On
    I have them turned on. But then I turn them off for a second or 2 to inspect the room that I'm working or to take pictures of the room. Of course if I'm taking outside pictures, then I try to remember to use the terrain tool to get rid of all of the grid lines. A Facebook friend of mine who created some lots for contests had told me about using the terrain tool when taking pictures, so I try to remember to do that and/or turn off the grid for indoor pictures... :smiley:
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I didn't know you could turn them off! :-O
    suzses wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I mean, I know you have an option to choose more gridlines and less, but to make them completely disappear only happens when I choose the terrain paint tool :o Am I missing an option? I’m not bothered by them btw and quite often I find them useful.

You're not missing anything. You can only turn off the inside grid - or use the terrain paint tool for outside, like you already know.
    I’ve never noticed the grid indoors completely disappears when you do that *deep blush* :D Guess what’s on the top of my list to try out tonight :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    I played Sims 3 since I was young, and I never knew that you could turn them off. :o
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    You needed an option for both. When I'm building the foundation, walls, basement, I mostly have the grid on, so I can count squares for placement of new walls, stairs, and most importantly when I'm placing basement stairs while building a house with a foundation. Not being able to see what's above it, it's pretty much the only way to know where to put the stairs. When I'm furnishing and decorating, it depends on what I'm doing at any given moment. The grid helps with deciding placement of furnishings in a room with limited space. But I don't like seeing it, so it's off when I don't need it, which sometimes means I'll turn it on, then right back off as soon as I've had a look at the spacing.
    jillbg wrote: »
    No hesitation whatsoever - off. And when I take pics from build mode, I always switch to terrain paint, so they don't show outside. It is really ugly to have pics with the grid showing, however beautiful the build... :#

I never thought of doing that. I will definitely remember that for future screenshots in Edit Town, because I hate having those grid lines in my pictures.
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    Turned On
    I generally don't pay much mind to them.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member
    Turned On

I've had them both off and on. I mainly just add what I need to a home anyway so my time in build/buy is usually short anyway.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I'm constantly toggling it on/off with the shortcut G key. I need to space things perfectly. :#
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    I find gridlines useful as a guide when placing walls, as a quick way to count squares for spacing and room sizing, and for aligning objects for aesthetics and routing purposes. But they can be visually distracting and make things more difficult to see well, such as when I’m using a variety of patterns on flooring with multiple channels. I also like them off to view how things will look in live mode. I avoid taking build screenshots in build/buy mode as I prefer to do so in live mode on pause, where I have more options for camera angles via TAB mode.

So I haven’t officially voted because I toggle back and forth fairly equally. Best of both worlds. :)
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    Turned Off
    I hate those grid lines lol! If I'm in live mode and change to build/buy, I turn them off RIGHT AWAY. The only exception is when I'm starting a build from scratch, but once I've got a foundation/layout of the building I turn the grid off.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Turned Off
    Turned On is now in the lead! :open_mouth:

:p
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Turned Off
    Mostly I have them off. I find the grid annoying and unsightly. When furnishing and decorating, I always use the moveobjects cheat so this 'grid' thing is totally pointless anyway. Main downside, of course, is I have to do a lot of playtesting to make sure routing works properly...but that's fine, playing is fun.

I do turn the grid on when I need it for something though...that just doesn't happen often.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • February11February11 Posts: 12,654 Member
    I didn't know they could be turned off, but I would still keep them on as a guide.
    MLgj4Vx.png
    starguru wrote: »
    But they can be visually distracting and make things more difficult to see well, such as when I’m using a variety of patterns on flooring with multiple channels. I also like them off to view how things will look in live mode.

My feelings exactly.

• bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I have them turned off unless I'm placing lights. I like my overhead lights to line up, so I turn the grid on to place lights and then turn them back off. :grin:
    Turned Off
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I have them turned off unless I'm placing lights. I like my overhead lights to line up, so I turn the grid on to place lights and then turn them back off. :grin:

I totally need to use them for precise overhead light placement! Thank you for that idea sweet lady! :kissing_heart:
    (See I just hated having them there so much that I wasn't thinking to turn them on when trying to line up overhead lights. I would just tilt the camera. :p )
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    Turned On
    I have them on for placing objects or lighting so things line up properly and turned off for photo shoots if I remember to shut them off in building sessions.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • emilysemilys Posts: 24 Member
    Anyone wanna tell me how to turn them off? :blush:
    Ratpicklerick.png
    Turned Off
    emilys wrote: »
    Anyone wanna tell me how to turn them off? :blush:

@emilys I did in my very first post. :blush:

But basically in the lower left corner of the User Interface, where you click on the button to Save/Save As and jazz? Look a hair bit to the right and you'll see a little grid box and all you have to do is click on that and it will remove the gridlines from inside the house/lot. (It doesn't remove the gridlines from outside, that only happens when you use the Terrain Paints tool. ) Click it again and they come back. :) I hope that makes sense.
    @emilys You can also turn the grid on and off by pressing the G key.
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    Turned On
    Perfectionist here OP @emorrill ! and I prefer them on. It helps split the difference exactly evenly. Super useful for a perfectionist who uses symmetry as the main decoration guide 😂 I can understand how some would want them off. Sometimes they do get in the way for certain things.
  • GabbyGirlJGabbyGirlJ Posts: 6,858 Member
    Turned On
    I leave them on. To me it almost feels like a staple of sims games at this point. Plus, I have a crippling case of perfectionism.
    IHJCfa6.jpg
    edited January 2019
    I tried it yesterday and can declare that from now now on I’ll be among those who turns them off. Because for me it’s more pleasant to build while seeing what the result really is. I for instance often struggled with floors, because the grid hides the actual result/effect (especially when you use tiles with an outskirt). Nine years after first opening this game and I learn something valuable and new, I feel pretty stupid :D But I’d very much like to thank the OP :# I do find them handy at the stage where you’re actually building, for symmetry reasons, but as soon as decorating starts (that stage lasts hours for me, I love shopping around in buy mode and using CASt on literally everything), I’ll disable them from now on.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Nine years after first opening this game and I learn something valuable and new, I feel pretty stupid :D

You shouldn't. This game is so complex, I don't think any of us will ever learn everything there is to it.

edited January 2019
    Haha, thanks for the comforting words :blush: Truth is, I actually did press that grid button in the past but thought yeah, well, that doesn’t change a lot does it. For some mysterious reason I must have always done that outdoors though (while gardens are anything but my expertise...).
    5JZ57S6.png