Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Blueprints

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Blueprints? What blueprints? o_0
    Yup...plans; don't "plan" to use 'em. :mrgreen:
    I realize you are an artist while some of us think in terms programming and things like code, and a whole bunch of other variables and factors in between, but there is some common ground here. Reminds me of a quote on a tee shirt I once shared with our lead developer back at NRaas.

"Document my code? Why do you think they call it 'code'?"

Some of the best things that exist or we have created ourselves in this world didn't require structured planning. They just happened. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    I used them just one or two times at the beginning of my building experience in the game. But at that time I was a complete newbie at building and at playing computer games.
    At that time building was very hard for me, I didn´t know how to re-color things, didn´t know anything about cheats and I despaired of my Sims, everytime they got stuck somewhere in my buildings, not knowing how I could help them finding out of my traps. :D
    And placing the blueprint was so complicated from my point of view, that I had to build on my own. Mostly 4 walls an a roof and somewhere hidden the bathroom (where my Sims got stuck :D )
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Never - I am a PRO at building and/or decorating!
    I nearly forgot that these existed in TS3! :D I have never used them once!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • KynanKynan Posts: 468 Member
    I had completely forgotten about those! :D
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,282 Member
    Sometimes - When I'm feeling lazy
    Even though I voted for "Sometimes", I've only used the blueprints once in my game. And that one time that I had used them was when I wanted to place a pool on one of my lots but didn't feel like designing it myself. And then I think afterwards, I had forgotten all about them.
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Ok, I know they excist, but I never use them (actually, I would have to figure out how, if I wanted to). My houses are more or less boxes with a roof, mostly decorated with my sims stuff. Not much of a builder...
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • sirguylittlesirguylittle Posts: 776 Member
    I've only used a blueprint once but found it very handy when I was always building the same floor plan and can help if you need to build more than one of the same house.

By now you are wondering what I am talking about!

velocitygrass created a mod that allows you to create your own custom blueprints that can be found on Mod The Sims:
    Blueprint Maker
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited January 2019
    My answer would be sometimes, but definitely NOT when I'm being lazy. It's more work (and more frustration) to get the various rooms to fit together than it is to build a house myself, and much more time-consuming. But it's kind of fun, when I'm feeling like taking on the challenge. I found that sometimes the only way to make it work is lots of modifications - moving walls, windows and doors, etc.

The largest house I made for Hylewood, a two story, five bedroom plus nursery, three bathroom, log house, was made entirely of blueprints, except for the halls, balcony, and entry etc. I used the log rooms for the kitchen, dining room, living room, master bedroom, and bathrooms, and the miscellaneous blueprints for the art studio/study, the boys' room, the girls' room, the nursery, and two spare bedrooms.

b4ZWMkj.jpg

e1eiBAq.jpg

BCbcV67.jpg

I didn't plan on making it with so many bedrooms, but that's what came of my attempts to fit in what I wanted on the ground floor without modifying the blueprints' size or furnishings and decor, then fitting in whatever fit well on the second floor.

I'd kind of like to try making houses from each of the different sets of room styles, mainly just for the fun of it, but that will have to wait until I have lots of time and actually feel like dealing with the difficulty of fitting the rooms together.
    edited January 2019

velocitygrass created a mod that allows you to create your own custom blueprints that can be found on Mod The Sims:
    Blueprint Maker

That would be great! I'm definitely going to get that mod! I have had to completely rebuild some of my houses and community lots from the ground up many times, when I wanted to place one of them in a new town, but on a smaller lot. It would be so much better if I could make blueprints of the rooms. Then I could put them together in no time, except, of course, when I'm copying a house with a foundation and a basement. I don't think there's any shortcut for that process.
    Post edited by IreneSwift on
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited January 2019
    Haha @igazor @emorrill , sorry for the confusion and misinterpretation :grimace:

I must say by the way I have tried them when they were introduced, but for me it’s not exactly helpful. I remember it just meant a lot of time breaking down walls and doors and whatnot before I could start building.

ETA: yes, exactly that @IreneSwift: “It's more work (and more frustration) to get the various rooms to fit together than it is to build a house myself”
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    I once tried to make an entire building out of the stock blueprints, but I couldn't get the rooms to line up correctly, and always had awkward spaces on the sides that needed to be filled in. I think I was trying to make it into a retirement home for elderly Sims.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • buffyballoonbuffyballoon Posts: 67 Member
    Honestly, didn't know they were a thing!!! Sounds awesome and really helpful though. I always have trouble building house and a big part of that is me having trouble with the floor plan. This sounds like it might be a lifesaver!
    sup.

giphy.gif
  • BrandontaylorBrandontaylor Posts: 4,773 Member

I better clarify a bit on my vote. I hardly ever build anything at all but one house I made used the blueprints. Otherwise, I use prebuilt houses, or download houses.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2019
    Never but I'm no pro at anything. ;) I remember when they were patched in. Honestly kinda forget it's there sometimes.

I think there's a mod out there that lets you create your own on MTS.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    emorrill wrote: »
    @starguru
    I think I would have a difficult time with trying to puzzle/piece various preset rooms together and still create a structure I’d be happy with.

^I'm with you on that. Which is why I only sometimes, actually rarely - that should've been an option, use the Blueprints. :)

***I know many of us don't consider ourselves Pro's at building or decorating, but...I wanted to add that in to make us all feel good and believe that we ARE Pros at it! In our own ways. :blush:

<3
    That’s probably the biggest reason I don’t use the blueprint feature, besides having developed my preferred building methods through years of trial and error experience.

I can understand your reasoning about using the word pro. And I’d add that, based on past screenshots shared on this forum, there are a great many simmers here who are very skillful and creative builders and decorators, no matter which word we use. :)
    igazor wrote: »
    Some of the best things that exist or we have created ourselves in this world didn't require structured planning. They just happened. :)
    So true. Even things that began with such a plan benefit by accidental inspiration. And often enough, there are positives to be found in “mistakes.”
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I didn't know the sims 3 had blueprints.XD
    I just remembered, when I played in IP and had my sim there build resorts, I did use the blueprints for everything. I didn't really feel like actually building, and using each blueprint as a building in itself in most cases, made it very simple. I did have to make a few modifications, but I was very happy to have those blueprints
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    I'm not exactly a pro, but, I'd rather renovate an ea build or build my own than use the blueprints.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I'm a pro at building stemming from my TS2 days and have made some advanced builds in Sims 2 which are things others had trouble with.I would use blueprints I create using the blueprint maker and I even use my own buy mode CC a lot.I like to use the blueprint maker tool to make a house in a box for sims to start with instead of building from scratch.I've even had to redo EA builds before using them to fix any routing issues found in the building's design.I even built my own shopping center and build my city hall shells for my towns as a main library and use rabbit hole replacers.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    I used them once or twice when I first started building but never now, it’s all organic building for me now. I’d never say I’m a pro at building, I’m okay but have you seen some of the stuff on youtube? They are pros! :smiley:
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    There is a blueprint of a pool somewhere that is very pretty, but most of the time I would feel very confined and coerced by a fixed structure, and like the meandering gameplay of building, adding, renovating and placing out each object. I would not hausse my own building skills though.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    @Charlottesmom I have seen the amazing builders on YouTube and...You are numbered among them. :kissing_heart:
    I'm always in awe over your builds!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I forgot those were a thing. I think I pulled them up one time, but they seemed weird to me. Now I can see how they could be useful, but I prefer to just remodel lots, not start from scratch anyway.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,121 Member
    Blueprints? What Blueprints? o_0 takes the lead in this poll! :lol:

Man, that cracks me up!
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    @IreneSwift That house out of blueprints is really cool! That's what I meant with getting ideas, I like the log collection, but I haven't tried to put them together.