Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What types of businesses do your Sims run?

I'm curious. What types of businesses do your Sims run?

Comments

• EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    My favorite right now is the vet clinic.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    EIisabetta wrote: »
    My favorite right now is the vet clinic.
    I actually very recently picked up Cats & Dogs, so I've yet to own a vet, but I can see how it will be fun just based around taking my own pets there when they get ill.

• SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    I've never really seen the appeal of running a business, but the vet clinic is the one type I have run successfully and enjoyed.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    i've only really got two retail stores in my game, one of them unowned. same with vet clinics. multiple restaurants, both owned and unowned, so i guess i'd say that's mostly what my sims that own businesses do

the funny thing is, the owned retail store, owned vet clinic, and one of the restaurants are all owned by the same household, my 'main' family, the venaticis. the household's makeup very, very much affects the three buildings, too. ara, the matriarch of the household, is an alien and a scientist. and most of the aliens in my game are very up front about being such, never wearing their disguises (i do have a group of disguised aliens, too). her husband is a regular sim and an astronaut, space ranger path (they both also max every skill and every ambition in the game, and every career before going back to their default ones. they're also now becoming globally famous). ara has a cloned twin sister who is also now a ghost (terrible cowplant accident) and she and her husband misael have four half-alien children, one of whom has a family of her own (the other three are still teens and have been...well, nearly since get to work came out)

anyway, because of this set up, their house (and all the houses in their neighborhood) are intended to be very alien, with either all kinds of curves created by oddly placed/shaped roofs or stark white and black lines everywhere, since the neighborhood is populated entirely by alien households. the same goes for magnolia promenade, which is where i placed the three places owned by the venatici family, as well as an alien-themed bar/nightclub that is the hangout for my interstellar smugglers club

the retail store is currently known as 'emporium della sixam' (a working title that it's had for over a year now...) until i figure out something better. it sells all kinds of alien stuff such as the various sixam collectibles, aliens, space rocks and such as well as all the scientist items, herbalism potions, mixology aspiration potions, ambrosia and basically any of the hard to find items in the game a sim may eventually need, as well as all the career-specific clothing (that's a big reason i have the household max both paths of every job, to unlock the clothing so they can sell it for sims i want to use it without having to worry about going through that career. like a teen i may want to have the cheerleading outfit from the athlete career or the beret from art critic). the vet clinic is supposed to basically just be a hovering ufo and i find it lots of fun, even though i often send sims to the other clinic when i'm playing them. the restaurant is 'sensational sixam', and like the rest of the neighborhood is very much alien-themed with alien plants as outside decor, living alien 'pets', space rocks and sixam metals/crystals as some of the interior decor, along with various scientist creations and some things cheated in from buydebug for appearances. the staff is all aliens, primarily wearing star wars outfits and the food is 'the weird stuff', all the experimental food as well as things like cowplant meringue pie, alien fruit tarts and anything else i felt to be extremely exotic. it's also the most expensive restaurant in my game, i think with a 200% price mark up

i'll repost the screenshots i've got in another thread here:

70e27c209e947e3e37a684c109851d4f.png
    082a358e231c387bd354bb74b0711c19.jpg
    40efb1b0226d164f9222bb8a85fc59fe.jpg
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member
    @kalaksed, that is SO COOL.
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    @kalaksed love those buildings! I bet the Landgraabs are shaking!
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,506 Member
    Right now, I just have a veterinary clinic and a retail photograph store. One of my sims is taking a lot of photos, and I was running out of places to put them. I also did a "fake" business at one point where I created an office and just had a bunch of sims go there and socialize and use the computers, which was kind of fun.

I plan on adding a bunch more businesses for my new neighborhood, but they will be more for show/screenshots than for actually making money. I want to have regular things you'd find in a neighborhood, like for instance, a department store.

Here's my photograph store. I made the floorplan really wide so that I could use the room with all of the walls up and still be able to see. There's a section in the back where I keep the "original" photos so that once a photo sells, I can just replace it by making a copy. The columns along the walls are to section off the photos by theme.

12-31-18_6-46-16-pm.png?w=584
    BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    I've got two. One is a boutique called "Angela's" run by....Angela August. The other is a toilet and bathroom supplies shop called "Stinky's"
    The other is a toilet and bathroom supplies shop called "Stinky's"

Bwahahaha!!! Okay, I totally have to do this, too, now.

• Angelini55Angelini55 Posts: 64 Member
    edited January 2019
    I have lots of restaurants and a few conventional stores like bakeries, grocery shops and a book shop/coffee shop. My herbalist sim runs a new age emporium that sells herbal remedies, mediation stools, yoga mats, crystals, hippy decor items, etc. There is also a geek-out shop selling star wars/sci-fi costumes, science stuff, gaming rigs and bits and bobs like robot toys and posters. I dabbled with a pharmacy selling elixirs and potions. I built a patient consulting room at the back using stuff from the doctor career in GTW but it wasn't really functional. That one was more fun to build than to play.
    Post edited by Angelini55 on
    @Angelini55 I love your idea of a hippy-type shop. I'm currently working on a mid century themed world, so that would fit in perfectly.
  • Angelini55Angelini55 Posts: 64 Member
    Start a chain of them

I may also have to start a Stinky's franchise :wink:
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Vet clinic, bridal boutique, restaurant, spa retail. All owned by my main family.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    I had a pretty successful Art Gallery, that seemed like the most profitable business I tried. There was a small restaurant that did ok, as long as I fired the employees after a couple of raises and just kept all the salaries low.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • ThePinkBookGirlThePinkBookGirl Posts: 437 Member
    I had a farming family who had a retail ‘farmers market’ where they sold their produce and crafts.

In Windenburg I had Yuki and Hugo get married and he opened a small cafe restaurant on the island.

I have not played with the vet clinics yet, but someday!
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    I've run shops selling paintings, shops selling hand-crafted goods, baked goods stores, plain old food stores, and sold flower arrangements, but it's hard to compete with the profitability of a shop selling expensive build/buy items, like Virtuoso Violins, at a 100% markup, ohoho!

I've run a restaurant and vet before, but those aren't the biggest moneymakers.
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    Vet clinic
    Restaurant
    Bakery
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    I had a bug store one time. It got so tedious finding bugs to use as ingredients that I decided to build a store that specializes in bugs and outdoorsy stuff. I didn't want it to feel too 'cheaty' so I waited until my sim at least completed the collection on her own before I allowed her to start buying bugs from the store.
    I also tried running a market, selling produce, plants, and baked stuff, but I never got the option to sell the plants and produce so it just became a bake shop after some time.
  • MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    Has anyone here watched the netflix show la casa de las flores?? I made a family & florería business inspired by the show!
  • I only have get to work so, I’ve had sims run a bakery, an art studio, general retail and a crystal shop
  • domina89domina89 Posts: 221 Member
    I have restaurants, vet clinics, a bookstore/coffee shop, a florist and, my favorite, a camping supply store. It has mainly stuff from OR, but I also downloaded a few cc supplies as well. I have mannequins in the store wearing outdoorsy clothing. My sim who owns it has maxed the herbalism skill and loves outdoors. She also is the leader of a troop of kid scouts (using the club system) and they take a camping trip every summer.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    My criminal sim would say that all of his business is legitimate.

The most enjoyable shop I built was Krimpmann's Cultural Imports. The Krimpmanns would frequent Selvadorada, return with armfuls of artifacts and various treasures, and then proceed to sell them. Obviously it wasn't the sort of store that was open every day, but it was a really cool way to incorporate two things from two different packs to make money in believable sorts of ways.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited January 2019
    The Golden Boar, a 4-Star going 5, Restaurant/NightClub/Teen Hangout is run by Ursula Hudson.

The Celtic Tavern/Traverse Cafe, Is owned By Oliver Bourbon, and Irish farmer boy who also owns winery.
    It started out as a Tavern, It's modeled after my favorite area, of Traverse Town, a world in Kingdom Hearts. Later turned into a Cafe/bed and Breakfast on Weekdays.

I'm trying to create a Men's clothing Store and a Women's Store, that's like bougie affordable, having a hard time to name it.

and then I have a electronics store, home appliances, thats also an arcade.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif