Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

SimsFilmFest Recs! Billie Eilish and a simself trailer

ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
78XjWS4.png

We wondered why machinima fans have been in a decline. We asked, you answered! The main reason was so much of machinima now is unoriginal and, shall we say, 'not good'. The issue with that is the good stuff is still out there. It's just harder to find! This thread is to highlight really good machinima, picked by the staff from the Sims International Film Festival.

UPDATE: There's now a Spotlight Playlist of special video picks on the front page of the Sims International Film Festival website HERE!

If you're posting about good machinima, Remi Marocelli has to be mentioned. Even the masters of machinima bow down to him! Seriously. But y'all already know that, right? Even simmers who aren't into machinima know about Remi. :smiley: If you haven't heard of him, rush over to his channel and watch everything.

But here for your viewing pleasure is my personal favorite of Remi's Bella Goth movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c8ym37agr4
Post edited by ZeeGee on

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019
    Here is a play within a film for those of you who love the theatre. This is a take off of the old Alfred Hitchc. ock’s movie 'Rope' and has that same noir atmosphere that AH did so well.

Do actors get jealous? Find out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ7kn6673Ck
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    This one scared me... and I wasn't even sure why! Until the very end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvU1FJn2JqY&list=PLb4QplMb7AMCWMthfJbRtR-9wfp7sltIp&index=3
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    edited January 2019

My pick! Cause I love sci fi. This is very well done

Video removed due to content. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Wow all of these were done well and or had a great twist, thank you so much for linking these. I had never seen them (well except Remi's of course) even though some are years old. I guess they get buried under the most popular stuff when searching. I think I need to look a little harder into finding videos like these. I'm going to at least look up Sims International Film Festival to see what's going on.
    Time to get a glass of juice and some popcorn and browse.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    GLEichholzGLEichholz Posts: 129 Member
    edited January 2019
    Both My Home and Actor were submitted to the festival. A lot of what gets submitted gets lost, probably because it's not the stuff that is popular with younger simmers.

I just found this one and it's amazing.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=fNW5nxZVixY&list=PL8GChwceTFD2EaNMSzdGZEroYHSpI4BrQ&index=6

I obviously have no idea how to embed videos here.
  • Options
    @Hermitgirl Glad you enjoyed!

I've just updated the first post to add a new playlist that's highlighted on the SIFF front page. Yay!!

@GLEichholz That's strange. I don't embed them. I just copy paste the link from YT and the video usually shows up. If you go to the video's home page and get the link there it will probably work.
  • Options
    Here we go! A music video found by Jorgha! This is crazy good, the hair and coat move somehow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNW5nxZVixY
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Whoa! I'm blown away by the Harry Styles video! I love Remi, he's the Master in my opinion, but, this creator... I'm speechless... <3

They're all fantastic works of art, better than I could ever do. I'm in awe of their talent and creativity. Thank you so much for sharing! :)
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    These are amazing! I've never seen any of these creators before, but their work is just incredible, I can't imagine how much time went into these projects. Thanks for sharing!
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    KellyWhovianKellyWhovian Posts: 177 Member
    edited January 2019
    Removed.
    This is technically my favorite
    Removed
    But on a serious note Remi's are always the best

Videos removed due to content. - EA_Cian
    Post edited by EA_Cian on
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.simsnetwork.com%2Fsites%2Fsimsnetwork.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F2011%2F20111008-pets-anim-3.gif&f=1
    Origin ID: kellywhovian

• Options
    @KellyWhovian That video is actually what started this discussion. There are many reasons that video makes me angry that I won't get into. We would be here all day.

I have spent the last 7 or so years as part of SimsFilmFest fighting against the kinds of stories that spawned Luumia's video and trying to direct people to well put together machinima wirh good storytelling and original ideas. I have spent countless hours helping people improve their projects.

It is a lot of younger machinima majere making the pregnant teen videos and the like. I don't want to discourage them from telling these stories (something Luumia does with that video) because everyone has to start somewhere and it's what is popular with that crowd and hopefully they will improve. Some of them improve, some of them grow board and stop making machinima. It's just that there is so much of it and it's hard to sift through it all to find anything else. It doesn't surprise me that EA kind of ignores the machinima community these days.

At Simsfilmfest we are currently working on ways to help those that want to watch more mature and better kinds of machinima find it. We've always been focused on helping people improve their machinima making that we forgot about the audience and we want to fix that. We have always promoted and showcased what has been entered into the festival. Holding it twice a year didnt leave time for much else. Now that we have gone to once a year we have more time to devote to other things such as expanding our reach to showcase stuff outside of our festival entries.

Everyone, visit the festival website sometime and see what we do. Go through our archives. Visit the YouTube playlists we're putting together. You might be surprised at how much stuff is out there that is worth watching. I'm not saying everything we get is top quality, but start with the Masters category. From there look and see who won awards and watch their stuff (we really need to work on that section of the site and update it). Check out what we have put in the spotlight playlist at the top of the site. We have a New Machinima playlist on the site where we sift through eveything that has been released and pick out the best stuff. Not everything is abused and/or pregnant and/or runaway teen stories.
  • Options
    I'd never seen the satirical one either - Luumia's that is, but it did make me laugh. I can't say I don't find some of the content about teens/pregnancy/bullies/abuse entertaining (?) sometimes.. and I might have even shed a tear or two watching stuff like that in the past depending on how it was done... but there is just a lot of it so it kind of puts me off from looking because it's all I seemed to be able to find. I'm no where near teenage so maybe that's why it's not appealing? I'm glad you all started this thread and at least know now that there are resources to help me look for other types of videos since search on You Tube doesn't help me. I don't really want to say overall that those videos with that "overdone" subject matter is bad even.. it has an audience and you are right @GLEichholz people have to start somewhere and if that is what draws them that's what they are going to produce. Also .. they might think it's more popular and worthy of producing or mimicking because that's what they see is popular and for some getting watched is the name of the game.
    If Luumia's video did start this discussion maybe that's a good thing? It's got some word to a few simmers here anyway... definitely to me.
    I don't go to the video section here on the forums much either... to me it's like the build section where most everyone has a self promotion thread. Please don't get me wrong I don't think self promotion is a bad thing but it also makes it hard to just get an overview of what's out there.
    I'll be checking out your site specifically more often now. Have you ever thought to start a thread here in the forums to highlight some variety out there? Maybe they can pin it?
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    @hermitgirl I'll probably add to this later since I want to get a few things down quickly before doing errands before I forget.

Having a machinima recommendation thread pinned might be a bad idea if anyone can come in and post to it. It will turn into a self promotion thread. Kind of defeats the purpose. I tried promoting SimsFilmFest and the machinimas on here one season but it all kept getting lost in the self promotion stuff and wasn't getting views. I kind of gave up.

If we are honest about things, certain types of machinima appeal to different age groups. I remember one SimsFilmFest season when Twilight and The Vampire Diaries were popular. Almost everything entered revolved around vampires. I honestly wanted to scream. However, that was what was popular with the festivals dominate age group at the time. It is what it is. I'm not going to say people shouldn't make this or that. If that is what is popular with their peers and especially if it inspires them, they should make it.
  • Options
    @Karababy52 and @LiELF So glad you enjoyed! Thanks for letting us know. :smiley:
  • Options
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I don't go to the video section here on the forums much either... to me it's like the build section where most everyone has a self promotion thread. Please don't get me wrong I don't think self promotion is a bad thing but it also makes it hard to just get an overview of what's out there.
    I'll be checking out your site specifically more often now. Have you ever thought to start a thread here in the forums to highlight some variety out there? Maybe they can pin it?

@Hermitgirl That's what this thread is for! To highlight a variety of GOOD machinima and link back to the spotlight on the SIFF page. :smiley:

And yes, the video section is more for creators in my opinion. They can ask questions, get help, or promote their channels. This thread is for viewers who enjoy good quality, original machinima. @GLEichholz has said everything else that needs to be said. :wink:

I will say that if anyone sees a machinima that you think is worthy to be shared on this thread, send a link to me or @GLEichholz in a private message. If SIFF approves, we'll post it here!
  • Options
    ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    Love that music video. His/her Lorde one is great too.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • Options
    @ladybreid That is a good one too!
  • Options
    EA_CianEA_Cian Posts: 1,359 EA Staff (retired)
    Folks I've had to remove a few videos from this thread. While I understand machinima is a medium that requires a tremendous amount of talent and energy to craft, let's please still remember when sharing videos that impressed us that said videos are appropriate in terms of content and language. Thanks you.
    ~my hair color is frequently changing, so my Sim reflects that~

Have questions about necroposting? Check out our Necroposting thread.

Bugs/Issues should be posted on Answers HQ, learn more over on Update on The Sims 4 Help Center.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    So where do we go from here? I've not posted any more videos as I need to screen them more carefully now. In the meantime, Jorgha has started a new column over at SIFF: MACHINIMA MONDAY! This is a new column highlighting her machinima picks for the week!

And here is one of my favorites from the new YouTube playlist of machinima picks, listed on the front page of the SIFF website! It is a Russian trailer for the Hunger Games and very well done! This artist has a lot of other amazing content if you want to check out their channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK1EMOl7tRg
  • Options
    Thanks for the link and update. I really liked The Winter Fairytale... it had me grinning, or was that smirking? Anyway I liked it :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    I just finished going through YouTube for the next Machinima Monday. I'm annoyed. So many let's plays and speed builds and sim creation videos under machinima. I am starting to think that some people don't know what machinima is. I already know that YouTube's search feature is not so good. So many things showed up not sims related. It's no wonder that people don't want to go through YT to find things to watch.

I did find this, which is very well filmed along with a number of previews to things people are working on that show a lot of promise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwSxwNcjY8I

• Options
    This is our new format for Machinima Magazine. It features a single machinima that has been entered in the festival. This time around it's Terah: The Crystal of Life. I honestly can't say enough about this machinima series. Anyone who thinks it's impossible to film machinima in TS4 should watch this series. It's a rather ambitious project that is very well done. The link for the machinima playlist is on the back page of the magazine.

Cover.png?zoom=1.375&resize=212%2C300
    https://issuu.com/simsfilmfest/docs/machinima_magazine_terah
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The second Machinima Monday! Jorgha goes through the latest postings on YouTube and picks out those worth watching:

https://simsfilmfest.com/machinima-monday-week-ending-january-2019/

ETA: This is a little late (cause I should have posted it in this thread to begin with!) but it's the weekend so enjoy!
  • Options
    A new entry this season recommended by Jorgha! This one is in Portuguese but the story is well worth putting up with the YouTube autotranslate:

https://simsfilmfest.com/scared-sims/
  • Options
    This is more of a dance animation than a story but worth watching, especially as some of you have mentioned you love the dance videos! Anyway, here's Jorgha's article and the video:

https://simsfilmfest.com/binge-watch-dance-school/?fbclid=IwAR3Hx0wXpvXHVsROBd22ER1I1U_dyOzChEfj0wPH2fhZVV-LS3DaQWBrj9g