March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Let's watch: Maxis Monthly - Episode 4

Comments

• FabooshFaboosh Posts: 160 Member
    I do have to wonder if they are honestly surprised when they do these things and it turns into a huge mess! I would think they would of had an idea this wasn't going to go well! I guess they didn't know it would turn into Titanic 2! I would of put of my life-jacket on as soon as I heard "Alexa" and my lifeboat would of done been in the water way before SimGuruKate tweeted out her first distress signal
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »
    I don't have an Echo so I'm just 'meh' about the whole thing but the negativity here is unnecessary. And expecting a pack announcement so soon after Get Famous is unreasonable imo.

You don't need an echo speaker. You can download the Alexa App on your phone and access this skill that way. You will need to enable the skill once it's released.

Oh I didn't know because I didn't get to watch the stream but thank you for telling me!
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Dang, too bad people are disappointed. I hope all the negative comments don't deter them from doing cool things outside of work for us. The first person camera and now this. I like it! Only wish I had someone in my life who also played sims from time to time to compete with lol. These little things that are being done in the guru's spare time are really appreciated.

There are a lot of excited simmers as well. Me included.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Listen. I have stood up for the SimGurus for the past several months. After all, they have limited employees and resources, and I wanted to be one someday. However, this... this is the last straw. I’m sorry, but I won’t justify your errors anymore, SimGurus.

The simmers want more content, yet the flow has been incredibly... dry. At first, I said that it takes a lot of time and effort to make a game, but to find out they were completely sidetracked with their Alexa thing (and majority of us don’t even have Alexa)... it disappoints me, to say the least.

At this point, I feel like the company cares more about money than fans. Watching the streams used to feel like hanging out with my best friends. Now, it just feels like watching an extremely long ad.

SimGurus, if you’re reading this, just know that I’m sorry, but... I’m going to search for something better in terms of future careers. I’m considering being self-employed and making my own game. It probably won’t be as good as the Sims series (I’m only one person after all), but hopefully I can support myself... and make others happy in the process.
  • mommy19959699mommy19959699 Posts: 226 Member
    Dang, too bad people are disappointed. I hope all the negative comments don't deter them from doing cool things outside of work for us. The first person camera and now this. I like it! Only wish I had someone in my life who also played sims from time to time to compete with lol. These little things that are being done in the guru's spare time are really appreciated.

There are a lot of excited simmers as well. Me included.

Right well I didn't say everyone was. Too many are and I'm hoping it won't deter them from future side projects.
    I don't have an Echo so I'm just 'meh' about the whole thing but the negativity here is unnecessary. And expecting a pack announcement so soon after Get Famous is unreasonable imo.

You don't need an echo speaker. You can download the Alexa App on your phone and access this skill that way. You will need to enable the skill once it's released.

Oh I didn't know because I didn't get to watch the stream but thank you for telling me!

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    Simtown15 wrote: »
    Listen. I have stood up for the SimGurus for the past several months. After all, they have limited employees and resources, and I wanted to be one someday. However, this... this is the last straw. I’m sorry, but I won’t justify your errors anymore, SimGurus.

The simmers want more content, yet the flow has been incredibly... dry. At first, I said that it takes a lot of time and effort to make a game, but to find out they were completely sidetracked with their Alexa thing (and majority of us don’t even have Alexa)... it disappoints me, to say the least.

At this point, I feel like the company cares more about money than fans. Watching the streams used to feel like hanging out with my best friends. Now, it just feels like watching an extremely long ad.

SimGurus, if you’re reading this, just know that I’m sorry, but... I’m going to search for something better in terms of future careers. I’m considering being self-employed and making my own game. It probably won’t be as good as the Sims series (I’m only one person after all), but hopefully I can support myself... and make others happy in the process.

We got a new expansion pack in November and then free holiday content, including objects and CAS, in December. 🤔
  • EricasFreePlayEricasFreePlay Posts: 849 Member
    I posted in the other thread that I will be excited to try this with my Echo Dot since I barely use it for anything except audiobooks. I hope it will be fun and give me some gameplay ideas or I can just listen to the music.

We got a new expansion pack in November and then free holiday content, including objects and CAS, in December. 🤔
    True and I love that Lyd Smart Speaker.
    I posted in the other thread that I will be excited to try this with my Echo Dot since I barely use it for anything except audiobooks. I hope it will be fun and give me some gameplay ideas or I can just listen to the music.

The music alone makes it worth it. The Trivia is icing on the cake.
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    We had no patch for 2-3 months. The holiday content was already there since at least last year. There were only some additions to it.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

It was worked on by one or two gurus in their spare time.

Also, they gave us two expansion packs in a year, how is that dry?

Truth be told i couldn't care less about this update, but since it was made during spare time I guess it doesn't bother me too much.

Maxis monthly does though, I miss the teasers.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • phantom121294phantom121294 Posts: 151 Member
    edited January 2019
    {EA_Lanna: Quote removed}

Could have been phrased in a slightly less demeaning manner without the personal attacks.

But....that doesn't mean you don't have a good point. These maxis monthly's originally seemed like a good idea, I've watched the majority of them after august of 2018. I wasn't even aware they would never show anything regarding sims 4 packs during the stream. I've been watching them for nearly 6+ months without knowing this. Kate today reiterated saying it was because the main marketing team handles all that stuff. Which kinda honestly should infer that the information and things people want to see are mostly sims 4 (or future PC sims games) related things.

That's not to say that the sims mobile, freeplay, game-changers program, these celebrity endorsements they keep doing, and alexa don't have a place. But I'd argue the vast majority of the people who drop real money on the sims franchise don't honestly care about any of those. The vast majority are not on these forums or any other forums. They most likely don't follow any of this or any other news about the sims. The majority of the minority of people who actually follow social media probably only care about the main game and EP's. Then there is the minority of the minority that actually cares about alexa and baby ariel cameos. I'd argue my statement is backed up by the fact that the actual marketing department of maxis does not let any major sims 4 pack be even be talked about until its announcement on the site. People in an office getting paid to market something should tell you there is alot of people who find it a big deal or at least enough to pay employees wages.

All in all hate and personal attacks are never deserved. Gurus are nice people just trying to do their job the best they can. However the reality is that a lot of people just want sims 4 news and the rest of the stuff is just fluff to them at best or an annoyance at worst. The sims 4 is the star of the show and the belle of the ball. While the hate was absolutely undeserved, I could tell each member of the marketing/community team in detail the exact reaction people would have if you took the first major platform of communication of the new year to announce an alexa sims game/app. The writing was all over the wall in bright neon yellow and pink. Again the terrible reactions might not be morally right or warranted but it is what it is.

And yea the disconnect between companies and their consumers is getting pretty huge these days. Diablo on phones.....just a big oof right there. But to be fair EA already beat them there with C&C on phones....that was also an insult to basically the entire strategy game community.
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
    Specs: i9-9900k, SLI 2080ti MSI SeaHawk EK X, 32g 3000hz Corsair RAM, 2TB M.2 Samsung SSD, EVGA 1600W. Custom loop done by myself with dual 560mm radiators.
    JOVa2Sn.jpg

• thecatsredthecatsred Posts: 327 Member
    I'm not sure what the point of this MM update was - many of the sims players do not have funds for an Alexa, so I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to be the only thing featured for an entire month.
    edited January 2019
    thecatsred wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the point of this MM update was - many of the sims players do not have funds for an Alexa, so I'm not sure why this is such a big deal to be the only thing featured for an entire month.

The Alexa App is free and lets you do the same thing. Alexa doesn't cost anything with the exception of buying the speaker and once you get that paid off your free. Alexa Speakers just requires a wifi connection and the Alexa Phone App but you don't even need a speaker cause the phone app lets you use Alexa for everything.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Whoa! Code red! There's been another mass regression! People are throwing senseless tantrums over a live stream!

*Hands out pacifiers*

All right children, tomorrow we learn how to put on our grownup pantaloons, pick ourselves up off the dirt, and brush off small disappointments like big boys and girls. 'Night-night! :)
    #Team Occult
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    Zasz wrote: »
    We had no patch for 2-3 months. The holiday content was already there since at least last year. There were only some additions to it.

Some additions?

2x1 Ceiling light
    Mason jar candles
    A log display… with candles
    Some new decoratives!
    Ceiling snowflake décor
    Mason jar décor
    Bough wall hanging
    Wood carving wall hanging
    A fireplace façade (for decorative purposes only)
    A new Picnic table
    A sweater top for kids
    A female full body outfit
    Female pants
    A female hair
    A male sweater
    A male hair
    Slippers for male and female
    A female hoodie, sweater, and crop top are new in Create a Sim
    Two new recipes for your Sims to cook
    Winter Cake
    Crown Roast
    And the Lin-Z Smart Speaker!

As for patches, we got 2 in June, 2 in July, 1 in August, none in September and October, 2 in November, and 2 in December.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    since i didn;t watch cause i don't have alexa what does thw new feature do?

i just don't have it yet but may get alexa at some point.

You can access 140 songs from the Sims 1 to Sims 4 thru Alexa and you can also get Sims Facts and play Sims Trivia.
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

You can access 140 songs from the Sims 1 to Sims 4 thru Alexa and you can also get Sims Facts and play Sims Trivia.

thanks cat.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    I thought the Alexa thing was kind of cute, even though I don’t have one, but I was sure hoping they would give us some clues about a pack that was coming up next, lol.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I just realized how much controversy is going on here.
    SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I thought the Alexa thing was kind of cute, even though I don’t have one, but I was sure hoping they would give us some clues about a pack that was coming up next, lol.

Kate said they won't be revealing packs on the maxis livestreams however patch content is a different story all together.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited January 2019
    I was hoping to see something about the sims game, something new that is coming, not a music box. sorry but I have no interest in sims music. Well so much for that. I can't believe they have spent there time on this and not on the game play. to me this has nothing to do with the Sims game
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    I was hoping to see something about the sims game, something new that is coming, not a music box. sorry but I have no interest in sims music. Well so much for that. I can't believe they have spent there time on this and not on the game play. to me this has nothing to do with the Sims game

They spent their free time on it. It didn't take away from them doing any gameplay that might be indevelopment. They said this repeatedly.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top