The Sims 4: High School Years EP launches July 28th! Click here to find out more!

Need Gameplay Ideas

LluviaRainLluviaRain Posts: 2,199 Member
I want a break from challenges, but I’m not sure what to do instead. If someone could come up with a gameplay idea or sim backstory idea, it would be really helpful :)
Not sure what to put here... so hi

Comments

• ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    I had only one house for a very long time. Only recently I started playing more than one household. Now I have nearly a dozen. Half of them only because I got inspired by one household I found online. From that I created sims with a background and worked out stories.

Find something you like from series, books, movies. You can find sims from all of those to have them in your game. It all depends on your personal taste.
  • QueenofMyshunoQueenofMyshuno Posts: 1,503 Member
    1) Have a golddigger party girl or guy find the richest girl or guy in town and get them to marry, preferably by some trickery on the golddigger's part. Then have the golddigger cheat on their spouse with all of their spouse's friends.

2) Have a photographer sim take enough photos to open up a retail shop of artistic photographs (like landscapes and stuff). Or same thing for a painter sim. Then manage the store. You can also have gallery parties sometimes with piano and a drink fountain, etc.

3) Have an erratic klepto obsessed with a certain item try to find that item and swipe all of them (like only chairs, or only things that are a certain color, for example). Then their house can be filled with all of these useless items so that they're a hoarder, too. You can set up a love story where their significant other is trying to help them overcome their problem, or you can go the other way and have the love interest be a crazy klepto, as well.

4) Set up two rival criminal gangs and have them fight over territory. Then do a Romeo/Juliet type love story where a teen from each family falls in love with the other one and explore all the problems this will create both for the families and the teens.

5) Have a loner sim live somewhere with a lot of land and few neighbors. Have them rescue a bunch of animals, mainly keep to themselves, and raise most of their own food in their garden. Find other hobbies your sim can do alone at home.

6) Have a family where the parents get divorced and live separately. Have their child or teen transfer between houses and play from the child/teen's perspective.

BannerMayNewcrestGradient.png
    On EA forum Stories and Legacies board and on QueenOfMyshuno.tumblr.com
  • simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    OMG @QueenofMyshuno I love number 3 so much! :D

I find so many story suggestions/challenges centre around romance interactions and those never appeal to me, so these are very creative suggestions... some of your ideas are awesome.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • CorkysPetalsCorkysPetals Posts: 1,394 Member
    Pick something that interests you. I had a sim open up a little food truck in Windenburg and eventually started up another restaurant on the waterfront in Windenburg as well as one on the island. I don't play challenges because the come with too many rules and regulations. I like to start with one idea and just see where it ends up.

food truck

homeless sim

A sim who lives in a tiny cabin in the woods who survives by foraging, collecting and making herbal remedies.

Sim who moves to San Myshuno and decides to get involved in local politics.

Remake sims from Sims3 Sims2 or Sims1and create their lives in Sims4.
    @simwolf Thank you! 😊 I purposely tried not to make them all about the standard romance. Glad you liked them.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 91,430 Member
    cupcake12 wrote: »
    I want a break from challenges, but I’m not sure what to do instead. If someone could come up with a gameplay idea or sim backstory idea, it would be really helpful :)

Have a married sim accept a blind date offer if one happens then get them up to girl/boyfriend status and let the married sim be faithful to their spouse and boy/girlfriend while keeping it a secret from either.
  • TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    edited January 2019
    You could always play around in CAS to see what inspires you. I've had a couple compulsive Sims I NEEDED to bring into being after some happy accidents in CAS. Here are the scenarios:

1. I had an ugly townie/service Sim. One of my families had a nanny, but for the life of everything, she was dressed HIDEOUSLY when she wasn't at work, and that didn't work for me when they had her over for events and such. So I ended up going to manage households, finding her, and tinkering with her outfits. Except it didn't just end there (never does!). I fell in love with her, and kind of built this whole theme and idea around her with the Carribean outfit she had sorta been wearing parts of. Then I decided she needed to have an apartment in San Myshuno. But then I decided she couldn't just go it alone, because she wasn't that kind of woman, so I made her elderly mother to live with her and give her some spice to life in the big city. So now Ira and her mother Mimi live the bohemian life in the big city.

2. Second scenario happened like this. I made a sim, a single girl with her dog. She needed a saucy lover, so I began work on him. Except, it didn't go as planned. Because unlike the 90% of the time that the random Sim generator makes hideosities with the Tragic Clown hair mixed with 3 different patterns of the Carribean print clothes, this time it produced for me a pretty good looking guy who was very hipster. I rolled with it, and then rolled into making him a sister who was equally hip and on top of fashion. Their names really didn't come to me until I finished her, where something clicked with the name Melody, and so Deacon and Melody were created and now live across the way in Brindleton Bay with their cat.

Weird things like just playing around in CAS can lead to some fun people coming to you and your game, and it's always fun to get on a rift and just have someone click as you make them.
    Post edited by TheGreatGorlon on
  • duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,230 Member
    When I'm not doing challenges, I tend to hop between households and do things to set up relationships, friendships, progress the lives and aspirations of neighboring families and such. I'll often assign back stories to certain sims that catch my eye or that I just particularly like, do makeovers for the ones that bug me for whatever reason(s).

Some of the back stories I've created for my sims:

1. Teen sim skill building so that she's ready to go abroad for college (would be so much easier/more fun if there were an actual college to send her to)
    2. Single dad raising two toddler boys and working full time to try and grow a bright future for them after the mom died in a mysterious BBQ grill fire...in the...erm... basement... >:)
    3. An erratic sim who needs to learn to quiet the voices in his head in order to become the CEO of his first mega corporation
    4. Sim with no past trying to work through the tragedy that claimed their memory and their livelihood previous to the accident.
    That's just a few but you get the idea. Even if I can't actually play them out, I give them stories because I need to to feel an investment in the sim. It also gives me some idea what this person might actually want to do next.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
    @duhboy2u2 I really like the "sim with no past" idea. It fits perfectly for a sim you've just created who literally has no past!
  • Aeren90Aeren90 Posts: 65 Member
    One I played recently: a Sim loses all of her family on a fire and starts with 0$ and two dogs. (You have to buy a house, demolish it and deduct the simoleons with a cheat). She is homeless and starts going into bars to steal food, fish or sleep. With nothing to own, she starts breeding their dogs and selling their puppies, although that makes her miserable because she loves the poor puppers. So that’s how she starts earning money and eventually she starts building a house and when she has enough money to buy a drone, she starts recording videos with dog training advices and she starts gaining fame.
  • LluviaRainLluviaRain Posts: 2,199 Member
    One I played recently: a Sim loses all of her family on a fire and starts with 0$ and two dogs. (You have to buy a house, demolish it and deduct the simoleons with a cheat). She is homeless and starts going into bars to steal food, fish or sleep. With nothing to own, she starts breeding their dogs and selling their puppies, although that makes her miserable because she loves the poor puppers. So that’s how she starts earning money and eventually she starts building a house and when she has enough money to buy a drone, she starts recording videos with dog training advices and she starts gaining fame.

Good idea, only I don’t have Get Famous
    Not sure what to put here... so hi
  • KellyWhovianKellyWhovian Posts: 177 Member
    I'm currently doing a legacy where the mother is trying to have as many babies as possible in her lifetime with only her husband. Every time a baby comes the others are aged up and adults are moved out + married. It's much easier than the 100 baby challenge :)
    You could play around with different careers or focus heavily on the aspirations.
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.simsnetwork.com%2Fsites%2Fsimsnetwork.com%2Ffiles%2Fnews%2F2011%2F20111008-pets-anim-3.gif&f=1
    Origin ID: kellywhovian

• ZelexPower2PCZelexPower2PC Posts: 24 Member
    1(I have done a homeless playboy save where I try to get as many women pregnant as possible before the sim dies, with add-ons of very short life span or late life stage, or trying to get the married women spouses to die by anger. First time I did this it was by accident.
    2) something of a weight loss challenge of having a Sims at max fat and no muscle and gradually having them loss weight before finding their soulmate
    3) giving a Sims a hard life like giving them only negative traits and continuously make them uncomfortable and see if they can survive a whole lifetime of hardship
    4) doing the opposite of a normal play through example I am doing a vampire save of a good girl trying to cure her curse but also trying to fulfill the vampire aspirations and gaining the outdoor skills like gardening and fishing and also obtaining ingredients without buying them for the cure. Plus Being max mixology career and skill before she can finally cure herself. I did this to make it seem more real and seem I thought just needing level one in mixology was unnecessary to created the ultimate cure.
  • MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    It's a challenge for me too. Someone turned me on to http://simsroller.com a while ago and I love this resource for coming up with new backstories!
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,024 Member
    Search the gallery for households with #backstory to inspire a new game. Play an orphanage, follow the children as they grow up or get adopted. Play something totally different, i.e. if you tend to play single female sims, play a big family instead, or pick totally different aspirations and traits if you tend to play specific ones.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 1,849 Member
    Here are three of my more interesting households, maybe they will give you some ideas...

1) A couple consisting of a space-loving human scientist who discovered Sixam and named it after himself, and an alien archaeologist (Liara from Mass Effect) who is in turn very much interested in the secrets of the planet Earth. They have a son who will become a famous astronaut by streaming his adventures in space, among other things, and some kind of alien pet that looks remotely feline with a very unusual fur colour, but makes strange raccoon sounds.

2) A family of mean people living in a cursed mansion who have made it their cause to spread dispute all over the sim world. The matriarch is an evil old lady working in the criminal career, her son is a plain-looking author of crime novels who transforms into a handsome, yet dangerous vampire when he goes hunting at night, and the daughter, while technically the same age as her brother, is cursed to remain a child forever, and a very psychotic one at that.

3) Two twin brothers who have the same face, but are polar opposites when it comes to behaviour, clothing and style, with an alien hybrid sister born to their father who has since discovered his feminine side and became a drag comedian, and a mother who used to be a boring housewife until she died and became the most mischievous undead prankster in the neighbourhood, using her new ghost abilities to take revenge on the people who wronged her in life.
  • floridameerkatfloridameerkat Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited January 2019
    I've got a few interesting saves going. The first three are actually part of my rotational save, and are part of the same family (but not the same household). I found that a rotational save can be a game-saver. I get to play every generation of this family, and I get to switch households every sim-week, so it's always interesting seeing what's going to happen to each part of the family. It pretty much prevents boredom. I'd recommend it.

1. An archaeologist couple living in Selvadorada. They have max level archaeology skills and spend most of their time in the temples or fishing for artifacts to sell. They can actually make quite a lot. They recently had a daughter, who was born during a short trip home to visit friends and family in San Myshuno. I'm working on leveling up their fame so that they can be celebrity archaeologists. As the daughter is still a toddler, it is very much a balancing act taking care of her because if they accidentally leave her on the lot alone, she gets sent to daycare, and they can't get her back unless they return to their home lot. But I find it enjoyable, as I have never played like this before, and I think it will be a fun story line for a sim born in-game that they were raised in the wilds of Selvadorada and spent their childhood exploring tombs and jungles, rather than going to school.

2. A pair of vampire twins. I started out just playing the sister, who has her own sad, complex backstory, but eventually moved her in with her brother. I'm using them (but mostly just the girl) to max all skills and complete all aspirations, careers, and collections.

3. A pair of teenaged, half alien twins who have moved out of their parents house and into house in Del Sol Valley. The goal is for them to both become 5-star celebrities; one for acting, and the other for fashion. I had them quit school (via a mod) and start homeschooling themselves (via another mod). While I wait until they're old enough to actually work as an actress and a stylist, I'm going to get them part time jobs, have the one destined to be an actor join the drama club, have them befriend other celebrities, and have them both work on the skills each will need for their future respective careers.

4. A 5-star celebrity actress I created to test Get Famous. She just got married and is expecting a baby. I'm planning to have her divorce her husband and kick him and the kid out so she can focus on her career and being famous, rather than being a mother. I plan to switch between households after that to see how the kid and her dad turn out.

5. A veterinarian I created to test Cats and Dogs who I still play occasionally. She has successful 4-star vet clinic that I'm still working on leveling up, and recently had a child with one of her roommates (oops). The entire household finally moved to a larger house, as previously I had 4 sims and multiple pets living in a 1 bed/1 bath house. She is also the legal guardian of Catarina Lynx's daughter, who lives with her, who she is teaching to be a vet so she can one day inherit the practice. I'm thinking that the other two roommates (the baby daddy and another woman) will end up together and leave my vet sim to live on her own, leaving her to raise the kid alone.
    Gallery ID: floridameerkat
    Family trees:
    Young
    Pearce
    Niner
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,814 Member
    I got to 0$ without a cheat by using the phone to buy a bunch of gifts and then giving them away to random Sims on the street haha 😂