Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Few Gripes About "Seasons"

I just got the "Seasons" expansion for Christmas by way of a generous Amazon gift card, and I'm quite happy to finally have weather. The rain and snow look pretty nice, and I really like how the leaves slowly fall off of the trees over the course of the fall and the frost on the windows in winter is a nice touch. However, there are a few things in seasons I am not fond of.

1. The Autonomous "Witness First Snow" action is annoying. It causes your sim to actually walk all the way outside of the house to look at the snow...all the way outside. If your sim lives in a tiny shack, not so bad, but if you have a medium/large house, it's super annoying...especially if you're managing several sims at once and you don't catch the sim who's on their way outside until they're just about to hit the stairs! Why can't your sim just go to the nearest window to see the snow like TS2?! Why do they have to trek all the way outside just to see the snow? No. That was a poor design decision, especially because it happens even with Autonomy set to OFF!! No desert for you.

2. The Holiday Activities are kind of lame. If they get a full golden checkmark on at least 3/4 of the holiday activities, they get a happy moodlet. If your sim doesn't spam through at least 3/4 of the holiday activities enough to get a gold checkmark on them, sad moodlet. The worst part is that with the Spooky activity type, I had a family of vampires and had them interacting with each other non-stop, but none of the interactions counted toward a gold checkmark on the activity. What the actual Heck? Yeah...Holidays are pretty weak.

3. The snowball fight animations are slow, limp, and lifeless. I had three Child sims having a snowball fight, thinking it was going to be a cute, funny romp...WRONG! They stand around more than anything, and they move around so slowly, rarely ever throwing a snowball. There's just no action, no dynamism to the whole affair and it's boring to watch! A snowball fight should not be boring to watch! What sort of wrong have you done to your animation team for them to toss out a crummy set of snowball fight animations and go, "Yeah, it's done, here. Just give us our paychecks so we can go home and drink away the pain." Thank goodness I didn't pay full price for this pack with these weak oars snowball fights.

Aside from these complaints, I do like the weather and seasonal effects, and the calendar is very useful, at least, for keeping track of sims' birthdays (an invaluable tool for playing with families) and scheduling parties and vacations in advance. Still, not as good as "Get Together" (still my favorite EP, sorry), but not quite as bad as "City Living" (still disappointed about that thing).
There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
5MNZlGQ.gif
When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.

Comments

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    These are things I've noticed in my game as well. What irritates me the most is the snowball fights. After having snowball fights in previous games I expected so much more from them in this one but once again disappointed. I avoid snowball fights and waterballoon fights like a heartbeat now. It's a shame when you cannot even utilize a pack completely... Ugh 😒
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I love seasons but I agree some things should have been done differently. I am not a fan of all the dead looking plants and I still do not understand the decision to make the leaf piles smelly and rotting. The snowball fights are so bad I feel it should not have been included in the game at all in its half finished state. I do still really love this pack though.
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    Unfortunately I agree with most whats being said. I was looking forward to get seasons for months. The holidays quickly get annoying, the moodlets for not doing holiday stuff are too interfering, the umbrellas always return when put away, random sims constantly die in the cold and interrupt the whole part of town you are in... Whats worse is that these problems wont receive much attention in the future from the devs.

It looks like a beta version.
  • Options
    I've had sims that are wearing long sleeved clothes complain that they are cold. Now I understand if they are wearing short-sleeved clothes sure but is a bit annoying to have to keep changing their outfit because it doesn't understand that they are already wearing clothes that are suitable for 'cool' weather at least.
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    @RavenclawDragonlord Your sims need to wear the clothes in the cold weather category to feel warm. Any other category can have them wear jackets and scarves and leggings under their pants, they will still feel cold because it's not the cold weather outfit.
  • Options
    > @GrumpyGlowfish said:
    > @RavenclawDragonlord Your sims need to wear the clothes in the cold weather category to feel warm. Any other category can have them wear jackets and scarves and leggings under their pants, they will still feel cold because it's not the cold weather outfit.

I know but technically PJ's should most of the time be counted as warm :neutral: I had them get up and then they decided it was really cold in their house - that was before I realised their heating was off but like it should have still been warm as it had been on earlier.
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    One of the things I feel like they really missed the mark on is the outfit categories. I like the addition of a hot weather slot but I miss having designated outdoor wear. I like that they put the clothes on to go outside and then took them off when they came back in. I also would have liked seasonal clothing slots. They could have combined spring/summer and fall/winter.
  • Options
    cauliflowersimscauliflowersims Posts: 35 Member
    I definitely agree with all this stuff. However.. I find the umbrellas to be absolutely infuriating! Let me set the stage here.. So, I bought seasons a little while ago and never thought about the umbrellas being an issue, but I am wrong! While I set my sims out to collect things (e.i. harvestables) and it is raining, the constantly put their umbrellas up and down. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes them take so much longer to collect everything around the neighborhood. I haven't testing it with autonomy off however, I think it should only be a player driven option or something. It just really gets on my nerves because a lot of my sims need harvestables to survive.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Zasz wrote: »
    Unfortunately I agree with most whats being said. I was looking forward to get seasons for months. The holidays quickly get annoying, the moodlets for not doing holiday stuff are too interfering, the umbrellas always return when put away, random sims constantly die in the cold and interrupt the whole part of town you are in... Whats worse is that these problems wont receive much attention in the future from the devs.

It looks like a beta version.

You're right. If you take a look at older packs like Get to work and all of its flaws and how often they go back a fix that it gives you an idea of how things will be handled when we have more packs later on down the line.

"Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited December 2018
    I just got the "Seasons" expansion for Christmas by way of a generous Amazon gift card, and I'm quite happy to finally have weather. The rain and snow look pretty nice, and I really like how the leaves slowly fall off of the trees over the course of the fall and the frost on the windows in winter is a nice touch. However, there are a few things in seasons I am not fond of.

1. The Autonomous "Witness First Snow" action is annoying. It causes your sim to actually walk all the way outside of the house to look at the snow...all the way outside. If your sim lives in a tiny shack, not so bad, but if you have a medium/large house, it's super annoying...especially if you're managing several sims at once and you don't catch the sim who's on their way outside until they're just about to hit the stairs! Why can't your sim just go to the nearest window to see the snow like TS2?! Why do they have to trek all the way outside just to see the snow? No. That was a poor design decision, especially because it happens even with Autonomy set to OFF!! No desert for you.

2. The Holiday Activities are kind of lame. If they get a full golden checkmark on at least 3/4 of the holiday activities, they get a happy moodlet. If your sim doesn't spam through at least 3/4 of the holiday activities enough to get a gold checkmark on them, sad moodlet. The worst part is that with the Spooky activity type, I had a family of vampires and had them interacting with each other non-stop, but none of the interactions counted toward a gold checkmark on the activity. What the actual Heck? Yeah...Holidays are pretty weak.

3. The snowball fight animations are slow, limp, and lifeless. I had three Child sims having a snowball fight, thinking it was going to be a cute, funny romp...WRONG! They stand around more than anything, and they move around so slowly, rarely ever throwing a snowball. There's just no action, no dynamism to the whole affair and it's boring to watch! A snowball fight should not be boring to watch! What sort of wrong have you done to your animation team for them to toss out a crummy set of snowball fight animations and go, "Yeah, it's done, here. Just give us our paychecks so we can go home and drink away the pain." Thank goodness I didn't pay full price for this pack with these weak oars snowball fights.

Aside from these complaints, I do like the weather and seasonal effects, and the calendar is very useful, at least, for keeping track of sims' birthdays (an invaluable tool for playing with families) and scheduling parties and vacations in advance. Still, not as good as "Get Together" (still my favorite EP, sorry), but not quite as bad as "City Living" (still disappointed about that thing).

With the vampires, maybe it's because the activities are perfectly normal for them that they don't count as spooky. If you do interactions that have a holiday marking, that should count towards the Holiday Spirit requirements. I agree the snowball fights (and water balloon in summer) could be a bit better in terms of the animations. And the First Snow only seems to happen the first time your Sims experience snow -- I haven't really seen it reoccur with my established households.

Get Together is a great pack -- I enjoy having the club system available for my Sims even if I don't use it every save (if I do get a Sim in the acting career I might look into an acting club) and I really enjoy nightclubs now with the DJ booths. Best parts of CL are the semi-active careers (where you can choose to work from home or go into the office -- they're great when raising toddlers) and the singing skill/karaoke bars. I also like the festivals but Seasons has kind of ruined them for me -- I'll send my Sims but they end up arriving in a blizzard or thunderstorm.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    edited January 2019
    I definitely agree with all this stuff. However.. I find the umbrellas to be absolutely infuriating! Let me set the stage here.. So, I bought seasons a little while ago and never thought about the umbrellas being an issue, but I am wrong! While I set my sims out to collect things (e.i. harvestables) and it is raining, the constantly put their umbrellas up and down. It doesn't sound like much, but it makes them take so much longer to collect everything around the neighborhood. I haven't testing it with autonomy off however, I think it should only be a player driven option or something. It just really gets on my nerves because a lot of my sims need harvestables to survive.

The umbrellas still don't work right with autonomy off. I don't give my Sims any weather-related perks (like stormchaser or hot-cold immunity), since that would kind of nullify the point of Seasons for me, but as umbrellas are such a pain, they do get the waterproof trait. I sent a Sim to rake leaves, and she kept cancelling after each pile because she was fiddling with the umbrella. (The umbrellas worked nicely in S3. Wish they could duplicate that.)
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    (The umbrellas worked nicely in S3. Wish they could duplicate that.)

I agree...I don't get what the issue is with the umbrella fiddling that sims do, it's almost ridiculous. I would settle for them setting it so that at least active sims don't even try to use the umbrella except when we tell them to at this point.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I wish they wouldn't wear jackets in the house. It makes no sense.
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    They implemented hot and cold outfits to the base game but they dont have hot or cold weather.
    The umbrellas open even when its just cloudy.
    My sims geet umbrellas automatically from I dont know where after I removed the build mode item.
    Reaking leaves only works for long periods of time if you keep your screen on the sim.
    Sims get a negative moodlet if its too hot in the sun or the thermostat is set to hot during summer but they dont get a moodlet when wearing cold clothing inside during summer.

All evidence that the devs dont play their own game. Took me less than a day to observe this and more. Reporting these issues to people who dont play their own game is futile because they dont understand their own game to fix it.

Love the game, hate the company is driving me mad.
  • Options
    ReitannaReitanna Posts: 294 Member
    my issue... you can't plant if it's too cold outside? like... even if it's spring? it says, "it's too cold to plant!" too cold to pick up a tiny shovel, dig a hole, and plant a seed? it'll be warmer later, right? I mean... how cold could it POSSIBLY be to not be able to plant things in spring at 10:30 AM when the forecast is "warm and partly cloudy?"
    I'm so old, I remember when "hashtags" were called POUND SIGNS.

K7ZEXAi.png
  • Options
    pegasusventricepegasusventrice Posts: 56 Member
    Reitanna wrote: »
    my issue... you can't plant if it's too cold outside? like... even if it's spring? it says, "it's too cold to plant!" too cold to pick up a tiny shovel, dig a hole, and plant a seed? it'll be warmer later, right? I mean... how cold could it POSSIBLY be to not be able to plant things in spring at 10:30 AM when the forecast is "warm and partly cloudy?"

It's supposed to be mimicking frozen ground. As a gardener irl you can't plant before your ground is thawed and you don't plant before the last freeze because of possibility the ground freezing again or the cold killing your plants. So even if it's been warm doesn't mean that the ground has thawed enough to plant in.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Can I just add that beekeeping s-u-c-k-s? I have a beekeeper with an almost full friendship bar with her bees, she regularly rids their hive of mites and puts crocus-scented flowers in the vicinity to keep them calm, yet they still sting her half-dead every time she sets foot in their greenhouse! I also wish this was a minor skill rather than relationship-based, because it took me weeks to get this alleged "friendship" so high, and with relationship culling running wild in my game (my two lovers in the same household just completely forgot about each other), I'm already dreading the day I'll have to start anew with those little pests.
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I haven't played Seasons all that much yet, but this is disappointing to hear. Might as well wipe all Holidays from my calendar then.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited January 2019
    I wish we had a wet weather category because sims have no business wearing raincoats except when they are outdoors in the rain. I rarely use the raincoats because I once had a sim keep putting it on when getting dressed in the morning. It was in her set of either everyday or cold weather. I also agree that sims really shouldn't be wearing their cold weather outerwear indoors, but the game can't distinguish between a warm jumper for cold weather whilst indoors, and a jacket for outdoors.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    edited January 2019
    I wish we had a wet weather category because sims have no business wearing raincoats except when they are outdoors in the rain. I rarely use the raincoats because I once had a sim keep putting it on when getting dressed in the morning. It was in her set of either everyday or cold weather. I also agree that sims really shouldn't be wearing their cold weather outerwear indoors, but the game can't distinguish between a warm jumper for cold weather whilst indoors, and a jacket for outdoors.
    @Mariefoxprice83

try:
    thermostatoutfittweak: When the thermostat is on, Sims will change from their coldweather outfits to everyday inside. When its hot outside and the thermostat is cooling, sims change from hotweather outfit to everyday when inside. Sims will also change from hot weather outfit into their everyday outfit when feeling chilled outside. Sims will now also change from coldweather wear to everyday if they enter a room with a lit fireplace.

walkbyrainfix_version2:
    Sims walking by won't wear ridiculous outfit combinations when it's raining anymore. With version 2 Sims will actually choose boots and a raincoat.

Modders are saving the game.

• Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Thanks, will give those a go.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The snowball fights, water balloon fights, and mud fights are so annoying. Half the time the sims aren’t even facing each other when they end up throwing anything.

The holidays wore off on me long ago. There’s really just no reason to keep doing them over and over. Features like that get super repetitive, even with the surprise holidays. I haven’t seen other sims participating in holiday activities on their own either, I thought that was supposed to be a thing.

Something else that REALLY irks me with seasons is that Sims aren’t programmed to change out of their hot/cold clothing when they go indoors. I got a mod to solve it, but what is the deal with that? Sims will change into their outerwear for 2 seconds to take the trash out and come back inside and leave it on. This wasn’t a problem in Sims 2 or 3!

On a similar note the thermostat, which was a fun idea, is also super annoying. You are basically forced into getting one or else your home will be hot or cold. Couldn’t they have made that an opt in thing? I don’t always want to bother with a thermostat to play a household without obnoxious outfit changes. Who puts on their winter coat when you’re cold inside your house?
  • Options
    Who puts on their winter coat when you’re cold inside your house?

I always give my sims at least two cold weather outfits: One to wear when it's cold inside, and one for outside, like this:

outdoor84jn1.jpg

Of course, that means I always have to tell them manually which outfit to wear when, and I have no control over it when I meet them as NPCs while playing other sims, but that's still better than seeing them walk around dressed for the Antarctic while indoors.
  • Options
    ThenyoukissmeThenyoukissme Posts: 304 Member
    Whats been bugging me most is the cold weather wear. My sim is ALWAYS wearing it. Wish they would change to regular once they come inside.
  • Options
    BabycakelingsBabycakelings Posts: 100 Member
    I feel like the umbrellas work almost like strollers did in the sims 3
    tumblr_pjpuetVQKC1vjcb7vo1_1280.jpg