Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Better Inventory System Needed

I know this has been mentioned before but .... Really we need this now. The current inventory system is a time waster and extremely frustrating to use
My first two sims have long lives and drank much elixir, I can't find anything in their inventories. If you want to brew herbal remedies you have to have certain things but can't tell what she has or doesn't have quickly or if one of the other sims in the house has it to give her. It would be nice too if the plant grafts you could tell which plant they were originally from.
EA ID burnished_dragon

Comments

• Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    What I do is use the storage items to keep things in. I have enough of them that I can keep things seperated by type.

Food and produce, of course, goes into the refrigerator. Flowers go into the flower arranging bench. All the elixirs and potions (and the new drink things you can get as a celebrity) all go into one storage chest. All of the music one of my sims makes on the mixing station goes into another. Any pictures I want to keep that I don't hang go into another. All miscellenous growables that can't go into the fridge or flower bench go into another, etc.

If you don't use mods, basements make a good place to put a bunch of storage chests for things. You can even shrink them with [ before placing and still use them, so they take up less room.

If you do use mods, Coolspear has a set of mods that adds a bunch of new skins for storage chests. The one I use for music, for example, looks like a file cabinet. The one I use for pictures like an old decorative camera, the one for herbal ingredient produce like a stack of baskets and crates. Potions go into the pastry display for counters (base game item that he turned into a storage option). I regularly clean out the inventory of all active sims of "stuff" into these containers.

You aren't actively using things in your sims inventory every single sim day, so why keep it all on you at all times? If you have a place where all things of a specific type go, you put it all from every sim there, so it's all in one place to know what you actually have.

The only thing I'd really kill for is a feature to auto-put the stuff in the containers...could be done with script mods.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I have had trouble getting items into the storage chests before but sounds like you have a good system going. Currently I have put a basement under the house with a storage room for all the darn collectables. I will try the storage chests again.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Some items cannot go into the chests without using mods to enable it. My recollection is it is two types of things, crafted potions and one other thing which I'm forgetting.

Still, most stuff can, like the collectables and what not.

there is also a game glitch that can effect an inventory item which makes it not storeable. It effects an entire stack of an item even if only one item in the stack is glitched. Only workaround I've found for this is to remove the single bad item in the stack by selecting 'place in world', then the rest of the stack can be stored.
    I really hate this glitch...glad I don't see it often.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    I'd love to see all inventory contents alphabetized. Storage chests, fridge, personal inventory.
  • Options
    dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    The personal inventory really is a mess, and I wish after all these complains the devs would have improved it already.
    I somehow never really used storage objects to their full potential. I guess it seemed annoying to not have all the stuff on hand and to have to go to the object or even go to the home lot first to retrieve it. Maybe it won't be as much of a hassle as I imagine. I guess it would be more realistic that way too.
    I thought the chests share a single inventory, though?
    While trying to look that up I also found people saying they use the inventories of the sales tables from city living and jungle adventure as storage places. That might be interesting.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @dopaminedroid I never considered that chests might share a single inventory if you don't use mods for them. I've used coolspear's storage mods for so long, I may have forgotten what some of the 'features' it adds are.

I checked his mod description and it seems to imply that you are correct, default game behaviour shares storage across the chests. This is from the mod description; I bolded the part that seems to indicate you are correct regarding non-modded game behaviour:
    The purpose of the Personal Storage mods here is to open up many objects in the game to have a new kind of storage facility that does not exist in the game.
    Firstly to offer a unique storage hold for each object, so that it can hold absolutely anything inside which a sim can normally hold in their own personal inventory. No restrictions, If a sim can hold it, so can these objects. Secondly, to make each object its own private storage space, so that what you place inside one, will never be available when opening another. This is not Resident Evil, we don't want to find the same stuff in every storage box we open. And lastly, for this set in particular, to give each item the Live Drag function so you can drag the objects in and out of a sim's inventory, or command the sim to "put in inventory" or "place in world." So that our sims can carry them everywhere for quick storage use and access wherever they may travel.

That's unfortunate, as it certainly makes the storage chest much less useful for folks who are not willing to use mods.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    @dopaminedroid I never considered that chests might share a single inventory if you don't use mods for them. I've used coolspear's storage mods for so long, I may have forgotten what some of the 'features' it adds are.

I checked his mod description and it seems to imply that you are correct, default game behaviour shares storage across the chests. This is from the mod description; I bolded the part that seems to indicate you are correct regarding non-modded game behaviour:
    The purpose of the Personal Storage mods here is to open up many objects in the game to have a new kind of storage facility that does not exist in the game.
    Firstly to offer a unique storage hold for each object, so that it can hold absolutely anything inside which a sim can normally hold in their own personal inventory. No restrictions, If a sim can hold it, so can these objects. Secondly, to make each object its own private storage space, so that what you place inside one, will never be available when opening another. This is not Resident Evil, we don't want to find the same stuff in every storage box we open. And lastly, for this set in particular, to give each item the Live Drag function so you can drag the objects in and out of a sim's inventory, or command the sim to "put in inventory" or "place in world." So that our sims can carry them everywhere for quick storage use and access wherever they may travel.

That's unfortunate, as it certainly makes the storage chest much less useful for folks who are not willing to use mods.

Yes, that's the problem I've got - I try to avoid mods (just because I don't want to waste time updating them with every patch), and my storage chest is a mess. I've also wished we could store things separately in different bookcases and refrigerators - it would be nice to have a fridge for potions, spices and other things I rarely use, and one for leftovers and pomegranates. And a personal bookcase for each Sim, so that anything she's already read can be tossed into the family bookcase.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    @invisiblgirl Totally agree regarding seperate storage space for individual refrigerators. I'd LOVE to have this in the game.
    There's actually a mod for that too...but I don't use it. Although I do use mods, I limit which ones I use for the same reason you indicated you try to avoid them. I only let myself use mods from 3 specific mod makers and MCCC, to make things very easy on me for maintaining them.
  • Options
    dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    The sales tables from City Living and Jungle Adventure have individual inventories. And they still work if you size them down to be more like the size of a storage chest. And for a seperate refrigerator, in Get To Work there's the Lice Cold Retail Freezer. Multiple of these will share the same inventory, I just tested, but it will be seperate from the regular fridges. These solutions all require EPs/GPs.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • Options
    RAVASHEENRAVASHEEN Posts: 2 New Member
    I fixed this problem!!!! The set should be coming out soon. I have lots of objects that each hold their own inventory - not shared - so you can finally categorize inventory items. The objects that have the storage can also be placed in your inventory for when you move or for any other reason. Also... you can label the items in game and change anytime!! See a video preview at the link below and also to get the set download.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ravasheen/comments/fu3hh2/hoarders_simnonymous_storage_set_the_ultimate/
  • Options
    Pamela_Rachael84Pamela_Rachael84 Posts: 6 New Member
    So my main sim just died with a crap load of veggies in inventory I only just discovered you can sell stacks from individual inventory but is it true you can’t from family inventory? I can only sell individually and it driving me crazy. Especially since I sell 1 item and it bumps me to top of list and I can’t sort inventory to show food only 😭😭😭😭😭
    New to game new to forum please help if you can.
  • Options
    Pamela_Rachael84Pamela_Rachael84 Posts: 6 New Member
    [quote="Pamela_Rachael84;c-17449755"]So my main sim just died with a 🌺🌺🌺🌺 load of veggies in inventory I only just discovered you can sell stacks from individual inventory but is it true you can’t from family inventory? I can only sell individually and it driving me crazy. Especially since I sell 1 item and it bumps me to top of list and I can’t sort inventory to show food only 😭😭😭😭😭
    New to game new to forum please help if you can.[/quote]

FYI playing Xbox console
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I'd love to see all inventory contents alphabetized. Storage chests, fridge, personal inventory.

I want a search box.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I think the storage chest that came with University has an individual inventory and you can also label it. I don't usually keep the collectibles, they are either used as ingredients, or to repair/upgrade stuff, or to decorate the lots if I like them. Everything extra is sold.
  • Options
    MagnezoneMagnezone Posts: 212 Member
    This has been an issue since The Sims 3 really. Maybe tabs would help like we have in shops?
    My blog full of things that never get finished!
    XVlamuQ.png
    Magnezone, the lover of Calientes, Lotharios, Landgraabs and Curiouses everywhere.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Magnezone wrote: »
    This has been an issue since The Sims 3 really. Maybe tabs would help like we have in shops?

Or again, a search string OR just an option to pick what to sort for: Name, Family name, Friendship grade, Romance grade, age...
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek