Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions on Rotational / Legacy type play?

verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
Honestly this is the first time I actually have a 3 generation in my rotational play. However, there are too many 3rd generation to play. I ended up turning aging off because I couldn't see enough families before a birthday or two happening. I have also taken MCCC out of my game for now.

1. Should I keep playing all sims in rotation or should I just choose a couple "heirs" and let the rest become unplayed and put MCCC back in to see how it plays out?

2. Do I move one of the 3rd generation back into the 1st generations house to keep the work rewards in the family, or do you move the rewards with the sim you want to have them?

3. How do you do the inheriting of the work or aspiration rewards or collections items in household inventory?
EA ID burnished_dragon

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    I can't speak to rotational play, as I haven't played that way since The Sims 2, but wanted to comment on you indicating you took MCCC out of the game.

You know that using various flags you can really customize how MCCC interacts with sims you aren't actively playing. You could, for example, turn aging off only on specific sim households instead of having to do it globally. You can set it to preserve relationships, age, career, and more, on a sim-by-sim basis. Basically you can tell it exactly what it can and cannot do to each sim and household.

I may not play a rotational game...but If I was...MCCC would be hands-down a primary tool I used to control which households can do what when I'm not playing them.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    @Stormkeep Very true about MCCC, but I also have a save where the some of the flags were set interestingly to see how it plays out ie alien world in a few generations I hope lol. So instead of having to have two mod folders at the moment I took MCCC out. I am still figuring that mod out. I am lucky if I get two to three hours of actual play time a month. I must be getting old as I don't understand how some of the flags work yet in MCCC, I keep reading the documentation but sometimes don't understand it.
    EA ID burnished_dragon
    You could always save your settings for each game and swap the settings in and out depending on which you play. It's just a txt file in your mod directory that it reads when loading. I have a batch file I use to swap between MCCC configurations and then launch the game with a single double click, depending on which of my saves I'm going to play.
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    You could always save your settings for each game and swap the settings in and out depending on which you play. It's just a txt file in your mod directory that it reads when loading. I have a batch file I use to swap between MCCC configurations and then launch the game with a single double click, depending on which of my saves I'm going to play.

Really just a txt file lol - I was moving the whole mod file and on occasion forget oops. See, I really am not understanding some things. I need a visual tutorial I think (visual learner) ;)
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • FireftrLtFireftrLt Posts: 54 Member
    I play the heir stays in the original house. I move out the rest of the siblings. I kind of play them on a rotation. I play aging on, check in and play them from time to time. Mostly just leave them at the mercy of the simulation.
    FireftrLt wrote: »
    I play the heir stays in the original house. I move out the rest of the siblings. I kind of play them on a rotation. I play aging on, check in and play them from time to time. Mostly just leave them at the mercy of the simulation.

I have one original household that I moved all the children out of the house as they grew up and had families of their own. I am not currently playing the original household as the mother passed but the father was abducted and had triplets. Those triplets are annoying. I was thinking of having the father sim ask one grandchild to move it and then I can let him pass. I can then have one child from each of the other families stay in the current place to keep those heirlooms
    EA ID burnished_dragon
    edited December 2018
    Although I don't play rotationally, I am on generation 4 of a legacy family where the original founding couple also had brothers and sisters that I made and then seeded into the town. Each generation I move out all of the children except the heir once they reach young adult stage and I get them a job.

At this point, 4 generations in, about 30% of all of the occupied houses in the game are households that are in some way related to my active sim family. I have moved the heir 3 times, and usually take the families "heirloom" items with them. For items I don't want to lug around but still want to preserve, I use another, normally inactive, family member to move the items to the actual Legacy Home which is the original house I started in. It went from a small 1 bedroom, 1 story home to a 2 story, 5 bedroom estate in the first generation so it has plenty of room for "stuff".

I don't actually actively play in that legacy house, haven't since generation 2 grew up, but I have the ghost of the founder and the ghost of his favorite cat living in it and marked it as a legacy households with MCCC, so it will never be changed despite me not actively playing it.
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @verlainem - wow it seems quite challenging to play rotational on a legacy challenge, though not impossible. For the original legacy challenge by Pinstar, I'm following the rules, so my Sims stay in the same house the entire challenge. I'm not playing that rotational. I'm on Gen 5, about to head into Gen 6 and all that I'm doing is moving out the siblings and stuff once they age to teen or YA. I let MC handle what happens to their life (i.e. marriage ,kids, etc. )

Now my vampire legacy, I'm not playing with any real legacy challenge rules & I play rotational. I have it setup so that my Played Households don't age, & just my active household. With them being vampires & immortal the aging thing isn't that big of a deal. Of course, just with the kids. What I do is play for a bit in one household and if someone ages up, I make sure to keep the timeline straight and flip to another household for a bit and age up any children that need to be. I usually do manual age-ups too since time is passing by in the active household and technically all children in my Played Households would be aging. Hopefully that helps.
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,552 Member
    Once your family has grown to such an extent it is wise to switch ageing off...I've never used MCCC so I can't comment on that.

I think, if you're doing rotational, you have to treat each 3rd generation Sim as a story in of themselves. The "heir", whoever you choose it to be can either inherit the house and then sell it for money, or live in it.

I'd choose one heir and give them the house. Some assets would be sold off and the rest divided between the other 3rd generation children. Play out the stories on rotation...is inheriting the house a burden to the heir? Do their siblings resent them or support them? How big is the clan now and how much power and influence do they have in Sim City? Within the clan, are there rivalries?