Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How's Dine Out?

Dine Out sounds like a lot of fun, but I've heard it's a bit buggy. Is it fun taking your sims to restaurants? How do you guys like the pack?

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    So I never went into the whole make a restaurant sort of thing because of the sad fact that you can't assign specific roles to sims in your household, which means you can't be the chef, only the manager. But a side from that I'd say it works mildly well. Just don't put anything "fun" in a restaurant and you should be fine. No pools, no bowling etc. Sims in TS4 get distracted a lot and in a restaurant the last thing you want is them sitting and getting up every 5 seconds. I think they fixed that fun issue or at least tried but just to be safe.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I use it quite a bit, my Sims friends are always asking to go out for breakfast or dinner, or even a hot restaurant date. And you can learn the experimental foods from Chez Llama too! I always have at least two restaurants in my worlds, Chez Llama and a more normal food one. Usually like the Bistro - never really made my own or downloaded any.
  • Options
    IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    I'd recommend getting a restaurant with a better, more efficient, layout than the default Chez Llama. (Who wants to go up and down stairs just to go to the bathroom?)
    I think there are other defaults, but making your own restaurant can be fun, too.
    If you want to learn all the experimental dishes, one of the restaurant menu presets you can choose includes all of them.
    It's what Chez Llama is set to from the start, but any restaurant can have that.

Running a restaurant is a whole different monster, though.
    It can be fun to manage your employees and personalize your menu.
    Heck, you can make your restaurant sell only the most expensive dishes, to maximize profits, if you wanted.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    If you love to wait 5 sim hours for your food while your sim starves to death then yes it's fun. :joy:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I legitimately enjoy it. Its easily one of my favorite GPs. I oddly enough dont really run and manage restaurants, but I love building them when the mood strikes. Yes there are some bugs, but its not enough to personally bother me or make me regret it. Plus, I cant say to another place for my sims to socialize.
  • Options
    HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    It's one of these packs I have but never used... I don't know if it tells something. It's less well integrated than other packs. You have to go out of your way to use it... Like spa.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have never tried running a restaurant but I love Dine Out! I've had it for a couple of years and still enjoy when my sims get invited to eat out. It's quite rare to get invited to a spa but dine out invites happen quite often. I usually accept if it fits my sims schedule. Bonus is that you will see other families/couples/friends as customers.

In my main rotational save I have 8 restaurants, each with their own menu and style. You can customise the outfits for the staff and also select the outfit category that the customers will use. Gallery is full on amazing restaurants to choose from. I haven't experienced notable bugs when visiting restaurants, not even with Chez Llama.
  • Options
    SnarlySnarly Posts: 13 New Member
    > @iliekponiez said:
    > Dine Out sounds like a lot of fun, but I've heard it's a bit buggy. Is it fun taking your sims to restaurants? How do you guys like the pack?

Honestly, disappointing. It comes with nice options, for running a restaurant, using one, etc. but I found the lack of an ability to cook food for my guests really sucked. It'd be ten times the GP it is, if i could use all the cooking skill, and items I gained from the chef career to make food for my guests, and not have to hire a chef. I'm not saying its terrible, just realize it has some pretty annoying limitations.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I haven't had much of any problems with the pack currently and my sims go out very regularly.

Before use to have the problem with sims seating properly and not standing up. They don't do it any longer.

I love customizing restaurants and making specific menu's for them and even setting a dress code for said restaurant. Having places for your sims and their family to have a nice family dinner out or for a nice date. Sims do as they're suppose to along with staff and aren't unnecessarily distracted by dumb things.

Sims that are waiting to be seated will usually head to the bar to order a drink while they wait, chit chat or just sit down in whatever small waiting area you might have made or is there. Soon as uncontrollable sims are done with their meals they won't linger for long and will leave the lot soon after. A new gourmet skill for cooking and you can take pictures of the said fancy food with your sims sometimes they'll even do it autonomously.

Sims might invite you out on a friendly note to eat or a romantic one, which is awesome. I ran a restaurant for a bit, been awhile since I got my new laptop to rebuy a lot. Probably works a lot better than it did when it first came out, but when I was owning one it was pretty fun but you're mostly just managing the restaurant not really cooking or being a wait staff. Check on customers, give them a free dessert or drink, free meal, prioritize their meal first, praise or discpline your staff give them training to get them better, give them raises. Can advertise for your restaurant and get all sorts of perks to help improve it. All in all one of my favorite game packs and I feel is a must to have. :)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hejix wrote: »
    It's one of these packs I have but never used... I don't know if it tells something. It's less well integrated than other packs. You have to go out of your way to use it... Like spa.

I don't think that at all. They are venue packs basically they are meant to take your sim off of their lot and provide new activities and interesting places to go. Still I have Bowlling Night, Dine Out and Spa Day and I find myself still not happy with the variety of venues. The coolest thing is that they also add new skills. Wellness is great if you want your sim teleporting.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I legitimately enjoy it. Its easily one of my favorite GPs. I oddly enough dont really run and manage restaurants, but I love building them when the mood strikes. Yes there are some bugs, but its not enough to personally bother me or make me regret it. Plus, I cant say to another place for my sims to socialize.

This for me as well -- I've found that the food serving times have improved a bit so maybe that was one of those small bugs that got fixed without noting it in the patch notes. I like that you can customize menus without your Sims owning the restaurant -- I have a vegetarian restaurant that I added to Del Sol Valley because what's Hollywood without a vegetarian joint? Restaurants also make a good place to go on dates. Just be careful that your Sims don't get the Refined Palate quirk from Get Famous -- most restaurants have just normal quality food so your Sim will get a bad moodlet from eating there. :|
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    HausieHausie Posts: 25 Member
    It's a cool pack except when you have to spend almost all day in the restaurant to be served. :#
  • Options
    Clotte94Clotte94 Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi, do you recommend Dine out over Jungle adventures, Spa resort and outdoor adventures (I am dutch so I don't know the exact translations, but I hope you will understand me). I will buy some gamepack(s) (I think 2), in the Christmassale on EA. But which one do you recommend? I am a foodie, but Jungle adventures and the other two (spa and outdoor) looked really cool too. I already searched on Youtube for reviews etcetera but I would love to hear some personal opinions :). It looks all so good to me, but I do not want to spend to much money on the Sims xD. (I already have Cats & Dogs, Go to work, City living, Seasons) and my parents will give me Get Famous for Christmas (So excited!).

I hope you can help me out!
  • Options
    cauliflowersimscauliflowersims Posts: 35 Member
    There are some issues with the dining feature in Dine Out, I still really enjoy it. I love to run businesses and sell things so naturally this was one of the first packs I bought lol. Restuarant owning is soo fun!! I actually based a whole legacy around owning a restaurant! Also I have to say it is a challenge sometimes (to get to a five star restaurant). Anyways, I definitely recommend this pack if you: 1. like running businesses or 2. need more things for your sims to go out and do. Happy simming. :)
  • Options
    StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    I love Dine out...I use it ALL the time in my game for my sims to go out to eat. I have not yet actually "run" a restaurant as the owner, but the experience taking sims out is great.

I tend to combine restaurant with other activities, so my sims can go out to eat, and then upstairs is a dance club, or a karaoke event, or hot tubbing and swimming. Pretty much most all of the restaurants in my game are multi-functional entertainment venues and I use them constantly. I like them so much there is one restaurant in every single neighborhood in the game (2 in Oasis Springs).

Only real glitchy stuff from the side that I use them from (as a visitor) is that sims don't like to stay sitting and wait for their food. I installed a mod to change that. (Even without the mod, its not a huge deal...just means you need to send them back to their tables).

From the owner side of things, if that is what interests you...Get Famous appears to have brought issues that annoy restaurant owners when famous sims come to the restaurant. If that's the side of the pack you really are most interested in and you aren't willing to use mods to fix the stuff, you may want to hold off on buying it.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    If you love to wait 5 sim hours for your food while your sim starves to death then yes it's fun. :joy:

I get invited for breakfast and by the times the meals finished its like 6pm
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I use it frequently but you have to have a good set up and most restaurants I've downloaded have flow issues, or other issues .. or outdated with electronics outside ect. My sims can be in and out in 3-4 hours with a good set up in place. A good set up also includes having no extra fun objects or distractions around.. because they WILL go play basketball if they need fun for instance. I also don't like really big restaurants it adds to the time for the waiters to go back and forth... and if your sims do leave the table to do anything that adds to the time to come back to the table. I often don't care about the time to get in and out fast though so I'll put more stuff for my sim to do before or after a meal in the place.
    Get Famous has added even more distractions when a celebrity shows up... since I play my sims in smaller groups it's not affecting every outing very much. I've also played on the celebrity end and been served before the waitress freaked out. It also will be more crowded with paparazzi ... crowding around so if a restaurant is cramped your sims are going to get stuck. I'd suggest at least two tiles around most tables ect..
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    Dine Out is among mt favorite packs. It's fun to build restaurants and cafes, and there's so many ways to vary style, menu and interior. I also like using my restaurants in my stories and films, they make for good scenes for that kind of stuff.

I no longer play the restaurant owner though, but that is fun too, for a while.

There is only one catch I can think of, that is with Get Famous, a celebrity arriving the restaurant might mess up what normally goes on in a restaurant. That's not much of a problem when you play the celebrity, but might be boring if they are non played and get all attention from the staff. Fame can be cheated off though, if this gets a big problem.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    PenguinBudgiePenguinBudgie Posts: 44 Member
    Dine Out is a great pack, in my opinion! I usually have about 2 or 3 restaurants per save game, and the only issue I have noticed is that sometimes invites over the phone will ask to go to one restaurant but will end up at another one. Then I just click the travel button and bring along the person who invited me to the original restaurant and I'm good.

I haven't played as a restaurant owner yet, but aspects I really enjoy include choosing meals for the menu, what each Sim orders, choosing the outfits for the waiters/waitresses, hosts/hostesses, etc. I think it adds overall enjoyment to the game as well since Sims can go out and eat at a restaurant for a special occasion or to get out of the house for a few hours.