Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Honest opinions about Sims 4.

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It's a good game, not quite where S2 was, but definitely better than 3. And it's far easier than 1 lol.

If you can pick up the base game on Origin for less than $10......DO IT!
  • ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    edited December 2018
    When I first got the game, I really enjoyed CAS, multi-tasking, the graphics, faster loading times and etc but missed the charm and details of Sims 2 and the open world/color options of Sims 3 (but not the lag).

With all of the free updates and DLC so far I say it's very worth it! In my opinion, Seasons, Cats & Dogs, and Get Together (club system) really livened up the game a lot. City Living added cultural diversity and a new way to play with apartments/rent. Get to Work has its charms, though it's not my favorite. The retail system is interesting but flawed. I haven't played much of Get Famous yet but it seems to be another one that livens the game a bit, especially if you want to explore the acting career.

As far as gamepacks, they all have been worth it in my opinion--particularly Vampires, Parenthood (adds a lot to the game) and Jungle Adventure (with the new self employed career you can literally be a treasure hunter/archaeologist like Lara Croft haha). Stuff packs are a bit more hit and miss, but they have gotten better with each rendition for the most part. My favorites of those would be Laundry Day (the items/CAS), Movie Hangout, Backyard Stuff, and Kids/Toddler packs if you like families.

The new first person mode--if you can handle the view without getting sick--is a refreshing take on the world and allows you to see your sims and worlds in a new perspective. It's especially great if you've built/decorated your house from scratch!

I hope that this helps. There are a lot of items/ideas from The Sims 3 that I miss, but I think they'll be implemented in The Sims 4. I do like that this time around The Sims 4 is alternating between "classics" like Pets, Seasons etc with a fun twist and introducing completely new concepts. It's great and all to one day get University and occult sims back, but having new ideas is unpredictable and exciting!

Happy Simming! :mrgreen::heart:
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    My honest opinion is you shouldn't need DLC to make a game 'better'. If the core doesn't make you want to play it for about six months to a year without any DLC then it's not worth it's salt. Unlike the previous games, TS4 didn't live up to that rule of thumb to me. You will have to spend a heck of a lot of money and seven years to make it 'better'. Though it's a better core than when it was first released by honest people who complained and needed more added to base game by patches, in order to play it for longer periods of time. At this point in time there are players who feel it needs much, much more, an over haul of the traits and emotional systems, and more depth. But you will have to judge for yourself if it's worth spending over $600 and seven years to make it 'better'.

I can’t help but agree with this.

It also depends if you have played any sims games previously. I think the game is just okay. It has improved in many areas but in many ways it’s a step backwards not forwards.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    It started off pretty well for me but after more and more patches and packs, the game is just becoming so frustrating. I can't play it without getting mad about the stutters and 1000 bugs. D:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    It gets better with every pack but the base game could be a lot better. I think everything just needs a little more depth and then it will be outstanding.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• NoName123NoName123 Posts: 25 Member
    Honestly the modding and cc community are what have me addicted to this game. I love creating people, and at times am more into that then game play. When I do play the mods are essential. I would have lost interest without them.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    edited December 2018
    At this point it's a lot of fun. I came back the franchise about a year and a half ago after over 10 years so I have no opinion on the first three-ish years of S4. I really enjoy the game, but it needs mods and a willingness to work around the bugs to keep it over 7/10 in my opinion. If the bugs just didn't make the game feel so sloppy I would give it 10/10 though.
  • ArchieonicArchieonic Posts: 1,040 Member
    It's come a long way, base-game wise with the free patches. Base games have never entertained me much, I played TS2 base 1 month before getting utterly bored, TS3 1 and a half months, TS4 about a month if I recall correctly. Some features are really fleshed out, others very shallow. Give or take, as is I give it a 7/10 with all DLCs taken into account and performance/bugs.
  • honeymoon4tshoneymoon4ts Posts: 4 New Member
    This is just a qualified game. The reason it is boring is that it lacks randomness, features that you choose, and citizens who don't have personality. I always have a feeling that I am not immersing in the new world but just using an engine.
  • greenbean71greenbean71 Posts: 60 Member
    edited December 2018
    For me TS4 is good, not great but good. I find myself getting bored with the game after a while but maybe because I only have the GTW pack. I do like most of the gameplay, but some things make no sense to me. Like why do Sims always have to hug each other while the other Sim is eating? Happens 95% of the time. Another is if they get a plate of food, they always will go where other Sims are even if it's a bedroom and will sit on the bed and eat. I also hate when you invite Sims over and the visiting Sim will go for a jog for most of the visit. The Sims seem like they get stuck in patterns, doing the same interactions over and over, and seem quite mechanical in their day to day lives. There are more annoying things I could say about the game but I won't.

Overall I can play it for a few hours a few times a week and that's about it. TS4 just lacks a certain personality. The game isn't as quirky as TS2 was and I usually go back to TS2 which is my favorite game of the series. I still find myself playing TS2 for hours and hours.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited December 2018
    TS4 is the only Sims game I play with any regularity now. I have tried to go back to Sims 2, and can't bring myself to play it for long, and I've played a bit of Sims 3 since, but can't get into that either. Full disclosure - I have all EPs, GPs and stuff packs except one stuff pack.

For me, TS2 was like a high-school sweetheart that I recall fondly with starry memories, but years later I try to go back and rekindle the romance and sadly it's just not there.

TS3 was like that solid but slightly dull romance where the lover showed me a good time and we did a lot of great things together, but there was just never that "spark."

TS4 is the extremely good-looking partner who is very easy to talk with, and we always get along well. However they started out kinda poor and were just taking me to the same coffee-shop over and over.

However over time this partner has tried earnestly to woo me over and started taking me to more and more interesting places and we've done a lot together now. Now and then they really surprise me. And they are just so easy on the eye.

Seriously though, if Sims 4 just had the following things it would be near-perfect for me: wants (better whims), fears, an attraction system, and TS2-style memories.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    @Pegasys I love how you compared the games, spot on :kissing_smiling_eyes:
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    If TS3 wasn’t programmed so poorly I would play that instead. But TS4 does enough to scratch the itch while running smoothly. I just had to lower my expectations in the areas of immersion and depth for it.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    edited January 2019
    To be clear for the first few years I was pretty critical of the game easing up on my criticism once Toddlers came out. I hated how incomplete of a base game had been sold to us. Through patches the base game is now finally complete after terrain tools got added (IMO and about flipping time too).

I think it is worth it whereas when it came out it certainly wasn't.

That aside now is now and I know a few people will say the game is loaded with bugs but truthfully I have every pack and over 10 gigs of CC and I have very few bugs. My game runs smoothly without lag and none of the bugs I occasionally get are anything I consider to be game breaking.

wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    ladybreid wrote: »
    To be clear for the first few years I was pretty critical of the game easing up on my criticism once Toddlers came out. I hated how incomplete of a base game had been sold to us. Through patches the base game is now finally complete after terrain tools got added (IMO and about flipping time too).

I think it is worth it whereas when it came out it certainly wasn't.

That aside now is now and I know a few people will say the game is loaded with bugs but truthfully I have every pack and over 10 gigs of CC and I have very few bugs. My game runs smoothly without lag and none of the bugs I occasionally get are anything I consider to be game breaking.

Same here. I'm aware of the bugs people mention, and I do notice some of them (teleporting, celebrity walk style, stinky leaf piles), but they're minor enough that they don't really diminish my enjoyment of the game.

TS3, on the other hand, runs smoothly enough, but sometimes it hangs if I press the pause button at the wrong time. Even with top of the line hardware, TS3 breaks a lot more often.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    I love it! I haven't actually been around long enough to play all of them so I can't really give any advice in that particular area but I've spent a LOT of money on it and I usually don't spend money on expansions or anything like that so that's a MAJOR compliment.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    edited January 2019
    I started with Sims 1 and I have stayed with Sims through thick and thin, spending more money than I want to think about. For me the Vampires saved the game. I wish they would go back and similarly flesh out the Aliens, Ghosts and add Witches. I also wish they would open up the game more so that we had built in tools to customize the game to individual tastes. By this last I mean create aspirations, traits, careers etc. similar to the way we can create clubs and holidays. It seems that a lot of user creative potential is already built into the game but the player can't tap into it. One example is the way they upgraded the gardening system.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    Love it. Honestly.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    My only gripe with it so far is how small the worlds are compared to an S2 neighborhood. Makes my gameplay style a little bit stilted, but otherwise, I love it! S2 and S4 are my current faves. :)
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited January 2019

My honest opinion is I enjoy it more than I have enjoyed Sims in previous versions. The sims are very expressive and I enjoy them. They are also attractive and very much love the art direction.

Thats my own opinion. Everyone else will experience the game differently than I have.
    Post edited by TheHarbinger_51 on
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited January 2019
    Pegasys wrote: »
    TS4 is the only Sims game I play with any regularity now. I have tried to go back to Sims 2, and can't bring myself to play it for long, and I've played a bit of Sims 3 since, but can't get into that either. Full disclosure - I have all EPs, GPs and stuff packs except one stuff pack.

For me, TS2 was like a high-school sweetheart that I recall fondly with starry memories, but years later I try to go back and rekindle the romance and sadly it's just not there.

TS3 was like that solid but slightly dull romance where the lover showed me a good time and we did a lot of great things together, but there was just never that "spark."

TS4 is the extremely good-looking partner who is very easy to talk with, and we always get along well. However they started out kinda poor and were just taking me to the same coffee-shop over and over.

However over time this partner has tried earnestly to woo me over and started taking me to more and more interesting places and we've done a lot together now. Now and then they really surprise me. And they are just so easy on the eye.

Seriously though, if Sims 4 just had the following things it would be near-perfect for me: wants (better whims), fears, an attraction system, and TS2-style memories.

That was so so good and accurate too! :)<3 Sims 4 has always been like that good , reliable lover to me though , since I came along a little later <3
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »

This is gold! :D

For me, Sims 3 was that unattractive but intriguing potential partner, exciting because it was new, but turned out to have awful chemistry so I left while they were still sleeping, lol.

Sims 2 I'm still on great terms with, but we just don’t connect much anymore, though I think about them all the time and speak fondly of the good times we had.

Sims 4 is definitely the attractive one with the great smile and goofy sense of humor. Sometimes that humor can grate on me but the relationship has become pretty comfortable, if a little predictable in ways. But I'd say we continue to grow together and I'm still finding out new things about them. Some are interesting and appealing and some make me question the relationship sometimes, but the general chemistry and friendship seems to be evolving, so that's a good sign.

As long as I can accept them for who they really are and not by comparing them to past lovers, I can see the good in them. They're not exactly the storybook ideal romance, but then again, that doesn't really exist because no one is absolutely perfect, not even Sims 2. In the end, I think it will work out just fine and we'll be together for quite a while. :)

#Team Occult
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    You'll get as many different responds as there are people. Truth of the fact is, nobody can be your judge on Sims 4 - only you. It's your money and your experience.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    So, @AJC20178 what's the verdict? :)
  • Frfly072Frfly072 Posts: 16 Member
    I really like Sims 4 a lot. I do wish there were more consequences in the game sometimes.