Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error Code 12 + Gameplay

aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
Welp, the dreaded Error Code 12 has come back to HAUNT ME! I haven't played any of my Sims 3 Saves in about 6 months and now I've been experiencing error codes left right and chelsea for the past two days.

I updated my graphics drivers yesterday as I found out they were out of date and thought that would solve the problem, but NOPE, I was filming and playing a family today (made it through the ENTIRE episode), went to 'Save As' and BOOM - error code. I tried, 'Save As' while paused, live, and 'Save' while live and paused. Tried to go into Edit Town mode and crashed to the desktop.

The only other thing that I did yesterday was something I found about DEP (I think) and I moved the Sims 3 (TS3W.exe) applications onto the list so it wouldn't affect it.

*Shakes fist* at Sims 3 and EA. Why you do this to me? HELP, please! @igazor - are you still around? :mrgreen:

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There hasn't been a DEP issue with this game since before Patch 1.50 something, EA fixed that for us long ago.

Error 12 is an out of usable resources condition, we have been over this several times before.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16224569/#Comment_16224569

How is your RAM usage going these days on these saves upon loading up and after playing for a while? Using the fps on cheat code, what does your actual in-game fps rate look like? Is it still staying capped under 60?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I think it might be this save because I just filmed two episodes in another save without issue.

If it's just this save, which I suspect it might be because RAM usage is fine. I will look at fps again and make sure it still locks under 60. What's the best way to move all playable characters to a new save without losing relationships?

Will having those applications in the DEP settings harm anything? Should I take them out?

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    What's the best way to move all playable characters to a new save without losing relationships?

I prefer using NRaas Traveler, see the procedure in this FAQ. You can also use NRaas Porter, see here. In my experience I'm much more likely to get EC12 popping up on large overstuffed households (around 24 sims) in long played games. RAM usage by the game can be fine in those cases; I have to split up the household to get the game playable again.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I would undo whatever was done with DEP just as a matter of general practice, but it can't really be causing resource usage overload. If DEP were really a problem, the game would not launch or it would crash early on for no other apparent reason.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    What's the best way to move all playable characters to a new save without losing relationships?

I prefer using NRaas Traveler, see the procedure in this FAQ. You can also use NRaas Porter, see here. In my experience I'm much more likely to get EC12 popping up on large overstuffed households (around 24 sims) in long played games. RAM usage by the game can be fine in those cases; I have to split up the household to get the game playable again.

Thanks @TreyNutz - I only have 2 adults, 5 kids, and a cat in this household.
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    It's so good to see you @aricarai! :smiley:

From my experience Error 12 is usually because of lots of little things and therefore it's hard to completely get rid of. Earlier this year I was forced to use Porter to move my family into a fresh Sunset Valley. The great thing about Porter is that it also grabs every sim who is necessary to keep the family tree intact. I can't say I have played the game a whole lot this year so I'm not completely hopeful that it will solve my issues but it certainly felt smoother to play.

Some things to think about:
    • Reducing the number of lots, or tagging some as no visitors allowed.
    • Reducing the number of resident, service sims and pets.
    • Don't use HQ mods, or at least limit your time with them.
    • Save often. Really often, then restart the game.
    • Empty all the inventories of townies and sims in your household. Especially if you have lots of chests with useless stuff such as school trophies like me :tongue:
    • Think about what world you're using, does it have lots of trees? I think Seasons eats a lot of memory by animating trees.
    • Again with the world, are there any routing issues?
    • Definitely make sure you're playing at 60 fps and under.
    • Reduce your save file size. This and this tutorial are my go-tos. Unfortunately the pictures on the second one don't load on the new NRaas website.
    • If all else fails, just take the immediate family and move them to a new world. Just think of it as them moving to another country and leaving their old life/family behind :smile:
    • If I think of anymore tips I'll add them here...

I'm sorry you're still having problems. Most people don't seem to experience it, but other people like you and I can't seem to get away from it. I would be lying if I didn't say that it has kind of ruined my experience. I can't play without worrying about it now :bawling:
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I used to get those a lot in my Modless days whenever I turned the EA bugfest on or it got stuck turned on because it does tend to cause memory leaks from being too overactive.I stopped getting that after playing with Mods in my game.I also avoid them by starting in empty worlds and adding new residents in very slowly like in real life.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
    coco wrote: »
    It's so good to see you @aricarai! :smiley:

From my experience Error 12 is usually because of lots of little things and therefore it's hard to completely get rid of. Earlier this year I was forced to use Porter to move my family into a fresh Sunset Valley. The great thing about Porter is that it also grabs every sim who is necessary to keep the family tree intact. I can't say I have played the game a whole lot this year so I'm not completely hopeful that it will solve my issues but it certainly felt smoother to play.

Some things to think about:
    • Reducing the number of lots, or tagging some as no visitors allowed.
    • Reducing the number of resident, service sims and pets.
    • Don't use HQ mods, or at least limit your time with them.
    • Save often. Really often, then restart the game.
    • Empty all the inventories of townies and sims in your household. Especially if you have lots of chests with useless stuff such as school trophies like me :tongue:
    • Think about what world you're using, does it have lots of trees? I think Seasons eats a lot of memory by animating trees.
    • Again with the world, are there any routing issues?
    • Definitely make sure you're playing at 60 fps and under.
    • Reduce your save file size. This and this tutorial are my go-tos. Unfortunately the pictures on the second one don't load on the new NRaas website.
    • If all else fails, just take the immediate family and move them to a new world. Just think of it as them moving to another country and leaving their old life/family behind :smile:
    • If I think of anymore tips I'll add them here...

I'm sorry you're still having problems. Most people don't seem to experience it, but other people like you and I can't seem to get away from it. I would be lying if I didn't say that it has kind of ruined my experience. I can't play without worrying about it now :bawling:

Hi @coco! Lovely to see you as well.

I am playing in a CC free custom world, but it does have A LOT of trees.
    I played through a Sim day and a half when I was hit with the error code.
    I'll try emptying the inventories.
    I'll check fps next time I go into that save file.
    I'll have a look at those links - thank you so much!
    And I may move them to another world; although it kind of messes up the storyline as I need some of the outlying characters...I think there's 4 other households I'd need to take with my main one. Is that even possible?

I've only ever experience Error Code 12 when I was playtesting a CC heavy lot - so getting it during gameplay is completely foreign to me...and frustrating!
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @aricarai You can use Nraas Porter to move the 4 households together with your main one and all relationships will be maintained.
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    @aricarai You can use Nraas Porter to move the 4 households together with your main one and all relationships will be maintained.

Thank you so much @Mikezumi!
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2018
    I think it might be this save because I just filmed two episodes in another save without issue.

If it's just this save, which I suspect it might be because RAM usage is fine. I will look at fps again and make sure it still locks under 60. What's the best way to move all playable characters to a new save without losing relationships?

Will having those applications in the DEP settings harm anything? Should I take them out?
    In case you haven’t decided yet, another option is starting a new save, placing every household you want to keep from the bin into the world (got to save them first in the old save obviously) and repair the relationships with Mastercontroller. If you’re having issues with this save I presume it’s best to start a brand new save? (you don’t when you use the other mods mentioned I think but I might be wrong, hardly an expert, just my two cents ;))
    5JZ57S6.png