The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How often do you save during gameplay?

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    All the time
    I only save manually when exiting the game or going to manage worlds screen, but I voted "all the time" because I use MCCC's autosave feature and have it set to save every 6 sim-hours and using 10 autosave slots.
    Interestingly enough....I haven't had any issues that really provoke this kind of frequent-and-many save behaviour. Game hasn't crashed on my in years, can't remember ever needing an old save backup either. But Sims 3 conditioned me to be paranoid.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    All the time
    mysle86 wrote: »
    I played sims 3 for a while (it became totally unplayable for me due to crashing) so ive learned to save a lot.

I save every night when my sims are going to bed, before and after blowing out candles, before and after traveling, before and after cas, building, parties and so on.. It only takes a few hours, so why not.

You just reminded me that I also save before traveling. Since the game can hang while traveling & I'd lose gameplay.
  • simwolfsimwolf Posts: 323 Member
    All the time
    I use the autosave reminder in MCCC but also save again if I have to step away from my pc for any reason but deem it safe and brief enough to leave play running.
    The Simwolf - happily simming since 2000
    My Sims, Saves and Challenges

Gallery: simwolf79 Twitter: @SimwolfSims
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Seldom/Rarely
    My game crashes once in a blue moon.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I try to save every night before my sims go to sleep.

Same here - I send them all to bed and save every night. I'll also save after a major event. I've never had the game crash or freeze, but I did have the 'can't save while aging up' bug hit me a few times. (That was fixed in the November patch, and it hasn't happened since then, so I presume it was, in fact, fixed.)

If something catastrophic were to happen, I don't want to lose everything for days if I exit without saving. Also, you never know when the power might go out.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    All the time
    Hunni poll? Lol!

I save every 30 minutes. Especially when it is not easy to recover the progress I made. I also save right after the game freezes and I wait in terror to see if the game will crash to desktop.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    All the time
    I had crashes sometimes, so I save carefully now.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    After Each Major Event
    I save after a major event and at the end of every Sim day. I also save now and then during building (and I wish I could do that in CAS too).
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited December 2018
    After Each Major Event
    I try to remember to save at the end of the sim day, at 3am, but I mostly will remember after major life events.

I've had a couple of crashes for no reason, so I'm not quiet as trusting as I was. Yes, it's very rare (having only happened twice now) but it seems when it does happen is after I'd spent hours in game and lose a ton of progress.

I have MCCC set up to remind me to save every 24 sim hours, but I have noticed, it's not that reliable. Sometimes it reminds me, sometimes it doesn't.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • jacknchloejacknchloe Posts: 239 Member
    I save at the end of each sim day and after a major event.
  • hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    All the time
    Cupid wrote: »
    I haven't ever had the game crash so I'm not really paranoid over saving.

Can i have your computer :D
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I should start saving more than i do but hey YOLO
    I used to save every night when my Sims went to sleep, especially when I played TS2&3. It was a good place to pause. I still try to do that, so that when I come back nothing too crazy is happening, it's just...not every Sim night that I save. It's whenever I think about it 😅 it's a habit I need to break honestly but I've never (fingers crossed) had the game crash badly enough that I lose saves. But now I feel I've jinxed myself, so I might go back to saving every Sim night 😂
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2018
    I TRY to save at least once every sim day or at least after certain events, since you never know when the game might crash. I just don't like losing a lot of progress. :#

I don't mind about sims dying and the like since you can always res them.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    After Each Major Event
    I mostly save after major events, but if the game has been particularly glitchy or laggy, I start saving every few minutes. Even all these years later and 4 different sims games down, and I still run into situations where I forgot to save and have to redo a bunch of stuff. It's irksome, but it happens, and in a few occasions its worked out for the best.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,442 Member
    After Each Major Event
    I chose "Major Event" but I generally save when I think to do it, haha.

I do usually save when I feel like I've made some sort of progress, and events and notifications work as good reminders. I also like to save right after changing Sims in CAS because sometimes I spend way too much time putting together the "right" wardrobe for a household, even for townies, and losing that progress is catastrophic, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • KiaraSims4ModsKiaraSims4Mods Posts: 2,782 Member
    After Each Major Event
    After major events or if I remember randomly. MCCC will pop and remind me.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,654 Member
    After Each Major Event
    I'm saving more often than just after major events, but not as often as all the time, lol. Normally a couple times every simday, but also after major building or any adjustment done in CAS. Don't think I ever lost progress in TS4, so not really hysteric about saving, but you never know...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • ohSnapohSnap Posts: 66 Member
    Iyasenu wrote: »
    On that note, when I'm about done playing for the time being I'm like:
    "Okay, save."
    Then, about to hit the exit button:
    "Wait, did I save? Better save on exit, too."

Yes! Me too. With every game I've played, ever.
  • ZeriZeri Posts: 15,073 Member
    All the time
    i save every sim night (if i remember) but sometimes i forget. and always when i forget it crashes and i lose a few days. i really try to remind myself to save just as all the sims in the household are going to bed. its usually my vampire households where i forget because they dont go to bed :P
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited December 2018
    All the time
    I use a timer set to 20 minutes to remind me to get up and walk around, & that's when I save.

:/ I was expecting the same save/file structure as TS3, so I started out with multiple saves of the same game, not realizing they were now doing that automatically, though with user-unfriendly file names. Since the in-game 'save as' window has 4 files per horizontal row, I've reduced the 10-savefiles per HH in one game (!) to 4 per savegame. Man, I hate the repetitive terminology we have to use; it ain't natural. :lol:

Previous iterations of the game taught me to have multiple, identifiable saves so that when a major bug-disaster strikes, I can find a savefile before the bug got embedded deep into the structure of my game. So far, even though relationship culling has ruined some HH stories, I haven't found it worth the while to go back and replay -- at this point, it'd take months or years to replay. Ain't worth the time.

I care less about TS4 sims and households than ...well, really, any other game I've ever played. In the previous versions of the game, I'd get really upset--really upset!--when bugs destroyed my gameplay. Now, eh. I got really mad during the first 6 months or so when the stupid emotional system made the sims respond inappropriately for the situation, but after the relationship culling that made my runaway teen lose all knowledge of his father's abusive live-in honeypot, I plain stopped caring. There's no way he would have forgotten who she was, and no way his hatred of her would've turned to complete neutrality. Not possible. That ...broke the game for me, profoundly. Hard for me to give a hoot about my sims when EA/Maxis keeps taking away the relationships I've built up between sims --because this has happened over and over, and it's not supposed to. A bug, they say, but it's never been fixed.

(edited because I somehow left out a word)
  • MoonSimMoonSim Posts: 102 Member
    Seldom/Rarely
    The only time I think to save my game is if I'm getting up to go do something and I'll be leaving it unattended for a couple minutes anyway
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    All the time
    I use MCCC and it 'autosaves' every so often (you have to agree to save, it doesn't just save). I use that as my reminder to save. Though I got into the habit with TS3 of nearly constantly saving because my game crashed. A LOT.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    All the time
    @elisabetta you can actually set MCCC so that it just saves, no need to confirm. It's your choice how it works. I have it set to just save. It throws a message in the notification area that it has done a save, or I'd probably not even notice the autosaves happening; the game itself barely even stutters when it is saving while actively playing.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    In principle I save every simday, in the morning when my Sims wake up. And I usually save before events I planned, like parties, play dates, weddings, etc. I occasionally save during the day, if real life requires me to leave my game be.
    When building, I should probably save more often. But I do always save the game, and save a copy of the build I'm working on to my library, when I'm about to try something I'm not sure will work. Should I mess up my build I can always retrieve it.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    Lol there is no option for mine. I save around 6 am every morning, sim time.

This is because I rotate around houses at 6 am and always stop playing at 6 am.