Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you Like Sims 4 Games based on Educational facts

Hi Simmers,
I have this question as someone that plays games would you like The Sims 4 to add educational facts say my sim travels to Washington DC to see a stature of Abraham Lincoln's the first President that change the rules of Government or if They make The Sims 4 Medieval Times would you like some historical facts just for fun?

Also parenting if you were a Teacher teaching life skills would you like a game of Sims that has the tools needed to Teach parenting and how hard it is to parent in different situations ?

I just think there is so much more things that EA could add that would offer both fun and some realistic facts that allows Teens, Adulds, Elders to learn in the game.

What are your thoughts?

(Please leave all political viewpoints out of this forum I want to focus on the positive side of Education and could The Sims game be pushed farther into other industries like teaching?)

Comments

• SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @PRINCESSRey

While I love your ideas I am not techie enough to understand if it could be actually achieved but yes coming from a player perspective alone If those animations were available for me to play with I would defo welcome them as I tend to play families and always teach my sim children everything that is available even adding mods occasionally that provide me with extra life skills animations.. :)
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I wouldn't because for me the Sims' world is not mine - it's its own place. I don't like have any English writing in the game itself for that reason too, or real-world logos. They don't live in my world. Maybe as an offshoot game it would be useful? I'd also worry, though, about how the facts balance out. Would it end up being really specific to certain kinds of history or certain parts of the world not others? History-based games have been working at better coverage than they used to have for this kind of thing.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    @luthienrising

your answer blew me away it's probably something I could have commented on if I thought about it more suffice to say I just answered another post where I practically stated a similar point of view but from a different sims perspective on playing the game-)
  • PRINCESSReyPRINCESSRey Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2018
    I wouldn't because for me the Sims' world is not mine - it's its own place. I don't like have any English writing in the game itself for that reason too, or real-world logos. They don't live in my world. Maybe as an offshoot game it would be useful? I'd also worry, though, about how the facts balance out. Would it end up being really specific to certain kinds of history or certain parts of the world not others? History-based games have been working at better coverage than they used to have for this kind of thing.

I see what your saying The Sims games do have unrealistic stories plus mythical speaking and it could be costly in creating a whole new brand of Sim games made for teaching.
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Hi @PRINCESSRey

While I love your ideas I am not techie enough to understand if it could be actually achieved but yes coming from a player perspective alone If those animations were available for me to play with I would defo welcome them as I tend to play families and always teach my sim children everything that is available even adding mods occasionally that provide me with extra life skills animations.. :)

I see what your saying in a way if you wrote a list of what The sim Games teaches I would put the following
    1. Budgeting while raising family
    2. Animation
    3. Interior Design
    4. Acceptance of all cultures

They are now going in Virtual Reality though so have we lost the education of animation?

Now if Educational content was added to virtual reality of the next Sim 4 Games could this educate in whole new ways almost to say fighting your fears in certain areas , Being a Parent or a Parent playing as a Child .

One Question I ask though many want a teaching career for The Sims 4 if its virtual reality wouldn't they need educational facts we would't want to falsely create facts based on realistic characters this is where I ask myself would we need some material that is educational to the Virtual Reality career of a Teacher?
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    This!

I have no interest in having my sims seeing a stature of Abraham Lincoln.
    A statue of Princess Cordelia would make far more sense, since she is a character in the sims mythos.

The sims franchise is not for education, it's for entertainment. It's a virtual dolls house.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    @PRINCESSRey

Coming from my own RL work background my number 1 on your list would have to be acceptance for all cultures with a strong second of budgeting while raising a family just because that is what is expected in RL to survive. (surviving does not equate to personal happiness ) personal Art which would would include interior design to me in RL is something I truly appreciate as a person but am dismal at achieving myself (something I have learned to accept begrudgingly while other people tell me my skills lie in other areas lol-)

VR use makes me nauseous in RL but I do appreciate the concept for both gaming purposes and RL benefit an example of this would be assisting housebound people who are afraid to leave their own homes due to extreme anxiety get to experience a sort of virtual reality of doing that until they eventually feel they can achieve this themselves in RL.

You would need to provide me with an example of what you feel VR is losing in terms of the education of animation as the only animation I have experienced is the Sims games (I do not play any other games)

Also people and countries tend to view education differently (aside from what the world deems as current universal truths) so if you are asking can a game like the sims educate positively then my answer would be yes and no as most players (myself included) see it as just a game however how we all play can be very different and an example of this for me personally would be I tend to play my Sims into infinity I hate to see my pixels die while other players love to torture their sims but this does not mean those players need educating as it is just a game where they get to play however they wish as I doubt very much those same players would actually end up doing that in RL.

I liked @luthienrising answer to you on reflection as I came into sims 3 gaming because it was a sandbox game I could play anyway I chose without RL restrictions so I am not particularly interested in actually being taught anything fundamental by the game such as RL lifeskills but personally i would not play the game if it was somehow inappropriate given the nature of the game as that is not what I am looking for. ( I believe RL is enough of a training ground for people to learn about life) so no series of animations in a game (or I suspect any recreational game) is ever going to be able to cover a world wide range of education scenarios that would make any sense to a worldwide audience so I believe that to be quite an impossible task.

I think a game is a game and RL is real life and obviously people have to differentiate between the two but personally I would never consider actually buying or playing a game that was trying to covertly teach me something about RL as I can sign up for a course in RL to do that and I don't need that in my own personal leisure space.. :)
    Movotti wrote: »
    This!

A statue of Princess Cordelia would make far more sense, since she is a character in the sims mythos.

The sims franchise is not for education, it's for entertainment. It's a virtual dolls house.

I see your point of view but maybe museum facts of Greek Statues and mythical facts and then the characters come alive proofing the museum owner that they are wrong these creatures are real?

Giving real mythology lessons or knowledge in anthropology and turning them into real characters that want to take over sim city?
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    No. The sims world is not the real world and nor is it an educational tool and nor should it be.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited December 2018
    Other than facts on lore already in the Sims in the descriptions of items and about the world's I really don't see the appeal in it. It sounds rather misplaced to hear real places in the sim world since they wouldn't belong there. Personally I find it boring. Yeah there's some interesting stuff and culture in the world but I can Google that or look on youtube as anyone else could.

We have a gamepack called Parenthood and there's even an option in the pie menu that you can 'teach valuable lesson' Left vague what it could be but you can also encourage them to be responsible and nice.

Personally I wouldn't care to have anything educational in this game because it sounds less and less like the Sims.

5vJrxmT.png
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    absolutely not
    I've already gotten my education and don't need educational fun facts shoved down my throat when I'm trying to play a game. Also, a world where people learn to be parents via a game scares me.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    edited December 2018
    Don't want, ever. I'm an adult and if I want to know something I'll look it up or decide to go back to school, I don't depend on a game to teach me. Besides, the Sims world isn't even based in the real world so it doesn't make sense to me.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
    Another Question then forget the sims games we know EA are gam producers forget about the sims do you think EA could branch software into other industries not the sims but other games they make or buy i future? .
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,657 Member
    I do thin k your idea is a good one, but I don't think it would fit well into all simmers games. I like to create my own universe, with its own history and laws etc. It would feel misplaced to see real world info and facts. My game has a different culture, so I'd prefer seeing facts reflecting my custom culture, which of course would not be possible to set by EA. I'd like a facts EP if we could also add our custom facts somehow.

Re statues: I've always wanted a way to build a statue based on a living (or previously living) sim. In TS3 we could craft certain sculptures (ice?), but there was no way to place the sculpture in a Museum or on other community lots.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
    This!

I see your point of view but maybe museum facts of Greek Statues and mythical facts and then the characters come alive proofing the museum owner that they are wrong these creatures are real?

Giving real mythology lessons or knowledge in anthropology and turning them into real characters that want to take over sim city?

You mean watered down mythology?
    No thanks.
    I'd rather keep the real world mythology separate from my sims mythology.

Real world mythology is far more interesting when it's not watered down and made to be child-friendly. :)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,475 Member
    I think we've already got parenting tools in the game. It's the Parenthood pack which allows the player to help shape their born in-game Sims. Lots of choices to be had concerning discipline, et al.

I, for one, don't believe it's the place of a teacher to instruct our children on how to parent. That's the job of the parents. As for historical facts, that could be very fun, but then we would need to be able to travel to places such as we had in Sims3, WA.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    This!

You mean watered down mythology?
    No thanks.
    I'd rather keep the real world mythology separate from my sims mythology.

Real world mythology is far more interesting when it's not watered down and made to be child-friendly. :)

Hi Movotti,
    One thing I can agree on I love art and Mythology I love mystical, fantasy, paranormal and Sci-Fi young adult novels the between 2-6 BCE was my favorite times plus ancient Greece was known for the earliest of creating mathematical systems to count taxes or build engineering buildings that have God like statues.

One Question forget education have you ever wished you could have a Sims game that based before the Common Era I would like to be a Pharaoh Sim ruling Egypt or Venus a Goddess sim game would you like to see other games then everyday life ?

Perhaps create Sim Games of the past? that is not watered down and made to be child-friendly lets say Mature 17 and up?
    One Question forget education have you ever wished you could have a Sims game that based before the Common Era I would like to be a Pharaoh Sim ruling Egypt or Venus a Goddess sim game would you like to see other games then everyday life ?
    Nope, never even thought about it.
    Perhaps create Sim Games of the past? that is not watered down and made to be child-friendly lets say Mature 17 and up?
    Wut?
    You're making no sense there. The sims is currently for 15+ in my country, to get to the next rating it would have to become R 18+ rated, and that will never happen.

What I want is a time travel pack for TS4 (or 5), that goes back to the sims middle ages, and sims renaissance, and sims steampunk Victorian era (obviously during the rule of whoever it was that was Princess Cordelia's parent who ruled at the time).

I've got other outlets for when I want real stuff. (Usually watching Ruth Goodman get all giggly about domestic history), I don't need super realism in my sims game (I want vampires, werewolves, witches, drums, bands, madness and mayhem).

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No, I don't want to play with a game that attempts to teach me facts or tells/encourages me how to parent. I don't believe it would go over well.. I never heard of any educational games topping the charts. I want to be entertained and be able to entertain myself. I want to tell stories in a fantasy world where I make up my own facts and backstories for the most part while keeping it somewhat believable. American history wouldn't necessarily be a part of my sims backstories.. and might even interfere with stories I set up because they might have their own history, culture, religions ect..

There is learning in promoting creative thinking and we already have that in this game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Honey_Pie_360Honey_Pie_360 Posts: 240 Member
    First of Sims 4 is a universal game not just for people in a particular region or Continent and this would therefore make historical facts and or cultural teachings (i.e parenting styles etc) very relative. History nd culture of all Sims players are different and not everyone would like to see someone else's history permanently projected in their games . So the answer is simply No
  • BilmoBlampkinsBilmoBlampkins Posts: 226 Member
    I mean, that sounds fun.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    No, thank you. I doubt The Sims 4 is meant to be an educational tool. It's a game where crazy things and dreams can be toyed around with in its own impossible universe. Not everything and every game should be grounded in realism - this at least is my opinion.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I don't really think Sims needs any of that. I like when they come up with their own fiction and backstories. The Sims has their own universe and we get to control it but it's not necessarily Earth we are controlling them in. I am actually surprised that World Adventures has real world names such as France, China, and Egypt now that I think about it. That really broke the tradition of making up Sims versions of similar places in our world. I prefer the game mostly be made up of its own unique universe of characters and places.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    A simple NO.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    NO a hundred times over