Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you change your planned outfits with the Seasons?

As winter approached in my game, I began my normal routine of going in and planning warmer looking outfits for all the sims in my active household. No small chore in a household of 6 sims, as I redo at least 3 or 4 out of the 5 outfits in every category except fitness and sleep,where I just have a few for each type of weather. I just like to have variety of choice every single sim-day.

Made me wonder how many other simmers go through this.
This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
The Winters family Tree --- My Mods

Do you change your planned outfits with the Seasons? 153 votes

I change most of the outfits twice a sim-year, for winter and summer.
11%
Akl500PGalacticGalBagoas77mysle86gothprincess4everSarahTheRedlittlemissgogoBreazonajacknchloeDestin2016TomatplantethenightcourtAmandèleSeklein112ohSnapgilletteQueenofMyshunoCaffeinatedRachel 18 votes
I change most of the outfits for every season.
20%
bshag4lvNighteyesjeLlyBeAn1573dreamergrl84StormkeepmcruddBloosmooFeroshaCoutoraIrdiwenalejandro15039sekojranaGARRICK20ladybreidKatiardguezashcrash19SPARKY1922yuppduhboy2u2deedles64Hobbitmama75 32 votes
I change outfits constantly anyway....weather can't take the blame for it.
19%
LilZairaGraceEIisabettaWritin_Regsennawalessimgirl1010loubyloulouemluckysunshineChelleJobluelightingLolaLuvsSimsTheWomanMonsterBigCatlover26DeKayRedDestiny92MissyScabtreeEnkiSchmidtAgentJuliaCherrybug90CaityCupcakes10ThePinkBookGirl 30 votes
No...I can't be bothered, they should be happy I let them wear clothes.
25%
icmnfrshIceyJSimmervilleJinx23MeteoraStormelanorbretonkerryemmiebethinvisiblgirlMariefoxprice83marcel21taydevphantasmkissjupkmnFrancl27DoloresGreySavvySimmiekendallransimmersimsimmersimSo_Moneysaarlandbabe2 39 votes
Other (please comment below if you don't mind).
22%
HowGreatThouArtColorist40PlayerSinger2010joelygirlsims2MagdaleenaJestTruluthienrisingLizzychicagoLustianiciaRavager619LadyKynfullspiralAlbaWaterhouseannaliese39TLM08x_Always_Heart_xVentusMattHermitgirlSheriSim57LiELF 34 votes

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited December 2018
    I set mine up initially with an outfit in every section for moderate weather plus hot and cold. For Sims I play a lot, I tend to add more outfits for the categories over time so I can have more to switch to. For Sims who are mostly background to me, one in each category is good enough. I get a lot of use out of a mod to quickly change outfits for Sims I'm not currently playing to some other one I'd given them already. I'm more likely to need to do that because why on earth are they walking through the neighbourhood in formalwear in the middle of the morning than because they feel out of season. Now and then when I don't have focus to play, I go through household management adding more outfits for Sims generally.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited December 2018
    It's not so much that I can't be bothered to, I would if I felt it necessary. But my preference is to keep the everyday outfits as neutral as possible so that they look reasonably dressed in any season (for indoor temperatures.) Then I allow the hot and cold weather outfits to do their jobs whenever they go out.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    Interesting approaches @luthienrising and @cupid. Maybe it has to do with where I'm from IRL where summer can be very hot and winter very cold...even indoors, we just don't wear the same things up here. I love giving my sims comfy flannel, sweaters, sweatshirts and long pants/leggings when it gets cold, and then getting out the tank's, T's, shorts and mini's in summer...and that's before we even get into the difference between spring and fall color choices.

I even makeover townies using the MCCC ability to pull them into CAS when how they are dressed is just totally season inappropriate...even if it isn't unfashionable, generally just a outfit change to one I already set up is enough for them though.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    I play a lot of Sim households in a save, so I can't really do that, haha. I also play a lot of fantastical, unusual, and specific era Sims so I pretty much just plan their wardrobes out once and be done with it. My Vampires don't really feel the weather, the way I see it, so they don't matter as much. ;)

I do have a couple of households that I play a little more regularly so sometimes I'll change them up when I get the urge, or I'll fill more of the outfit slots for them to have a better selection. But I already tend to spend way too much time in CAS so I sometimes run out of time to actually play the game. :D

Sims 4 CAS is just awesome, though.
    #Team Occult
  • fallenangel66fallenangel66 Posts: 294 Member
    Not only my sim households but the townies and premades as well.
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    I am constantly in CAS and adding and removing outfits, even without seasons. Though I do dress them according to the season they are in.

The only exception is the 100 baby challenge. Well, I am in CAS a lot, but I don't give a lot of thought to their attire. I just will tweak whatever EA gave them, or give them stylized outfits since they are just gonna age up again in a couple days and I usually have 4+ to do at a time.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • SarahTheRedSarahTheRed Posts: 388 Member
    I change most of the outfits twice a sim-year, for winter and summer.
    I'm obsessed with the style influencer career, so my stylist Sim changes her wardrobe every season, posts fashion tips blogs about the outfits and creates trends based on them, and voila, townies are lookin fly.
    That's awesome, @SarahTheRed. I like what I've heard about that career, looking forward to trying it at some point in my game.
    @fallenangel66, glad I'm not the only one!

and LOL, @Chellejo...I can see how 100 baby challenge would make one less obsessed with too much outfit planning....just 6 sims in my current household led to far too many hours in CAS for me.
  • fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I'm like cupid. I tend to leave their regular clothes neutral and give them a couple of hot or cold weather outfits and let the game decide when they use them.
  • LizzychicagoLizzychicago Posts: 873 Member
    I change my sim's every day outfits and pajama's every season, maybe twice a season. Depends on how much I play them. I don't play often, I just build.
    Check my builds and Sims out on the Gallery, username Lizzychicago!
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Right when they age up to teen, I give them:

- 1 summer outfit
    - 1 spring outfit
    - 2 fall outfits
    - 1 winter outfit

Because of the hot and cold wear, I count those towards the summer and winter outfits. I think I would run out of clothing combos if I gave every Sim 5 season-appropriate outfits. :#
    aSE16f8.gif
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I have a 2 or 3 putifts for each category, most of which are 'neutral' and don't lean towards any specific season
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    I change my characters' clothing as they age -- the same outfit wouldn't fit a teenager and an elder most of the time. I only change their clothing for seasons if they're wearing an outfit that's laughably inadequate, or if I've got aging off. Otherwise I'm content to let their cold clothing be their...well, cold clothing. I've never explored giving Sims alternate outfits for each category.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    I change for most of the Seasons. I usually have 3 or 4 planned outfits for my Sims. I usually don't change hot and cold weather that often other than when I first dressed them for the weather, unless I get new cc I really like. With over 50 Sims in my game I play rotationally, it can be a bit much to constantly change them each season. I wait a few cycles usually.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,595 Member
    I change their outfits every time a new pack rolls out. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    When I make a sim I create all the outfits... usually only one per category because I don't really like spending a lot of time dressing them in CAS. I just change their winter and summer outfits when I run across those sims that were around before Seasons, mostly because the outfits look bad and I have too. Sometimes when in CAS .. I give them more outfits as more packs come in also or they get a total makeover .. it depends.
    Some sims I even want to look the same all the time so I give them the same outfit in every slot.. Like if I make a Yeti soon... it will be a Yeti :).
    egTcBMc.png
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    edited December 2018
    No...I can't be bothered, they should be happy I let them wear clothes.
    I'm extremely boring in the sim fashion. My sims are lucky if I adjust their outfits when they grow up to teen, and from then most of them will never see CAS again. Only if the game throws in some random clothes, say when a sim turns elderly, I might go in to adjust that.

Added: My most played sims might actually have 2 or 3 preset everyday outfits, so they may alter a little through their lifetime, though, but alternatives are normally based on some of the same clothes, say same trousers with different tops.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    The number of outfits I create honestly depends on the sim. But no, I don't change up their wardrobes every season. The cold/hot weather outfits are enough for me; the rest are kinda seasonally neutral anyway.

That, or the sims in question are vampires and aren't affected by temperatures either way.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    edited December 2018
    I wasn't sure what to pick. I care a lot about their outfits but playing rotationally there's no way I would or even could change them seasonally. I do edit outfits sometimes when I feel like it but due to the huge amount of families I play, I can't say I do it constantly.

I like to give my sims 1-3 outfits per each category. For cold outfits I make one that wont bother me when they wear it indoors and another either in similar style or that actually looks really warm with hat and perhaps gloves too. I hate seeing them wear gloves indoors so I don't use those much anymore. Summer is easy because they wear their summer outfits which look equally good indoors and outdoors. For everyday outfits I give them something that fits spring & fall weather. No open shoes, either long pants or long sleeves (that is a minumum). My sims need to have at least two everyday outfits but three is a common number. Sometimes when I edit them I think of adding a fourth one but usually just end up replacing one that I don't feel suits them anymore. Fitness outfits with seasons are super difficult. Generally I try to go the mid way there as well but some sims jogging around the neighbourhood during winter still look out of place.
    Post edited by musteni on
    Great responses, thanks guys. Looks like we are very spread as players in what we do. Like with everything in the game. :)

Reading through all the responses, with so many people who use the cold weather outfits for winter made me realize....I have a mod that switches sims out of cold weather outfits automatically if indoors with a thermostat, so I can't use the category for indoor clothing like some people do. Guess sometimes using a mod has unintended consequences.

Happy simming, everyone!
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Since I play a lot of households, I don't really pay as much attention to what my sims wear depending on the weather apart from the designated hot and cold categories. But when I am playing a household that lives in Oasis Spring for example and then I decide to move them to Windenburg, I always update their everyday outfits to a bit more of a warmer look overall or if it's the other way around I give them more shorts and summer dresses or tank tops.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    For Sims I play a lot of I make a multiple outfits in each category to suit the season.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,970 Member
    edited December 2018
    I care about my sims, but play rotationally and have a lot of families. The sims I play the most have all categories filled. The cold weather outfits are a variety from cold weather to snow. Hot weather are usually shorts, skirts or summer dresses. Everyday outfits are more nuetral. I hate to see sims I play dressed inappropriately to the style I think they should be in. Since I got a new laptop in July and have been trying out 2 years worth of new packs, the sims seem to look funky again since the new categories added for seasons. So, the last few weeks I have had a project updating outfits of my main families, and saving them to the gallery, as I see that many of them don’t show up saved to the gallery anymore. My townies need to be redone as there are a lot of new ones now, but I thought I should wait on them till I get ‘Get Famius’. Which I plan to get as soon as I finish updating my favorite sims. It is taking forever. When I update townies they usually get 1 outfit per category. I tend to change sims clothes if I get tired of seeing them in the same thing too long, or I get a new oack.
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    I often have sims wear different outfits according to the seasons, especially when they’ve just aged up.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    It's not so much that I can't be bothered to, I would if I felt it necessary. But my preference is to keep the everyday outfits as neutral as possible so that they look reasonably dressed in any season (for indoor temperatures.) Then I allow the hot and cold weather outfits to do their jobs whenever they go out.

This.