Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

General/Random Question Thread

For all those questions you want an answer to, but don't want to make a new post for. I'm surprised there isn't one of these already - and I did dig pretty far back too. It's nice to have as much as possible in one spot, don't you think?

My question:

Should I be selling collectibles? I've been keeping a copy, but it seems to be making the simulation lag worse and worse. Though that could be my imagination.

Comments

• LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    One thing to keep in mind with collectible, your sim will get a higher bill due when having the collection even in their personal or family inventory. One thing I like to do is to have a community lot where I have my sims store their larger or more expensive collections to avoid the bill, and periodically I'll save it to my library in case something bad happens.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    You can keep them but don't leave them in the inventories. That's what can cause lag.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • KharisVKharisV Posts: 11 New Member
    Would anyone know if it's possible to make an outdoor area where a dog could do there "business" in an apartment? It's a real pain as a Vampire to let your puppy out in the middle of the day ... The sun kinda kills me. :|
  • SimmerUnikornSimmerUnikorn Posts: 80 Member
    @KharisV i guess your kinda gonna need to get an apartment with a balcony otherwise i can think of no other options unless the dog learns to got to the potty on it's own.
    -Simmer Unikorn
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,659 Member
    edited December 2018
    Hm, *why* do you keep collectibles? I don't know what you collected, so I can only refer to the food my sims store in their fridges. I never add to the fridge if there is already 30-40 items of that specie. Gems, minerals and frogs etc I always sell immediately, might just keep a handful for decor or to add a personal touch to the house if collecting is a defined interest or occupation.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    For all those questions you want an answer to, but don't want to make a new post for. I'm surprised there isn't one of these already - and I did dig pretty far back too. It's nice to have as much as possible in one spot, don't you think?

My question:

Should I be selling collectibles? I've been keeping a copy, but it seems to be making the simulation lag worse and worse. Though that could be my imagination.

For crystals and metals you can send them off to have the elements extracted which can them be put in the display rack as a decoration, if you have GTW you can do this yourself if you are in the Science profession. Another good alternative for crystals if you have the JA game pack, you can refine them to use to activate Relics, however personally I only use the rare crsytals in Relics to get better outcomes so I tend to sell the more common ones. You can refine crystals into gems for decoration by sending them off to the Geo-council, alternatively if you have GTW you can refine them yourself in the Science career or use the Archaeology table if you have JA.

As for other collectables such as dolls, frogs, fish, prints from telescope or microscope etc,; I just sell them for the extra cash, they can be quite a nice little earner. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member

My question:

For crystals and metals you can send them off to have the elements extracted which can them be put in the display rack as a decoration, if you have GTW you can do this yourself if you are in the Science profession. Another good alternative for crystals if you have the JA game pack, you can refine them to use to activate Relics, however personally I only use the rare crsytals in Relics to get better outcomes so I tend to sell the more common ones. You can refine crystals into gems for decoration by sending them off to the Geo-council, alternatively if you have GTW you can refine them yourself in the Science career or use the Archaeology table if you have JA.

As for other collectables such as dolls, frogs, fish, prints from telescope or microscope etc,; I just sell them for the extra cash, they can be quite a nice little earner. :smile:

The problem is that the game doesn't keep track of the collectibles previous generations have amassed, so if you're trying to complete a collection, you have to start over if you've sold them. I keep one of each (two samples of 'perfect' harvestables, since I might want to plant one later on). I store them in the treasure chest, but if you want your Sim to get credit for completing a collection (say, for the collector aspiration), you need to drag them all into the Sim's inventory to make them count. You also need to drag them into a current Sim's inventory if you want to see what you've collected and what you're missing in the 'collection' tab.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    How do you get sims to stop moving around while you're trying to edit their faces in CAS? Anyone know?
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,659 Member
    How do you get sims to stop moving around while you're trying to edit their faces in CAS? Anyone know?

I think you would need a mod to make them standing still. I never tried that, though, but I know there used to exist a mod...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member

My question:

The problem is that the game doesn't keep track of the collectibles previous generations have amassed, so if you're trying to complete a collection, you have to start over if you've sold them. I keep one of each (two samples of 'perfect' harvestables, since I might want to plant one later on). I store them in the treasure chest, but if you want your Sim to get credit for completing a collection (say, for the collector aspiration), you need to drag them all into the Sim's inventory to make them count. You also need to drag them into a current Sim's inventory if you want to see what you've collected and what you're missing in the 'collection' tab.

True. To be honest I don't actively bother with the collections, the only one I've ever completed is the Artifacts collection and that wasn't intentional, just a consequence of unearthing and authenticating hoards of items in Selvadorada; even then I don't recall getting any reward for completing it.

Are you meant to get rewards for completing collections? :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @TheStarHermit, yes, most collections (though not all) have completion awards. For the majority of them you get a plaque for completion which arrives in the mail a day or so after the collection is completed, at least for base game collections.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Yeah, I've been keeping my collectibles in the storage chests.

What on earth can I do with the 9 million herbalism ingredients? That's really filling up an inventory right now, but I'm not sure if they will work in the fridge/storage chest etc.
  • WynterlyWynterly Posts: 232 Member
    Normally I sell a bunch of that stuff for some extra cash. Just save what you need and you're done! @WildIrishBanshee

How do I make it so the custom content on a sim isn't auto-detected and I can turn it off if I am uploading something to the gallery with a default skin on?
    ~I only act like I know everything, Rogers.~

Currently doing Harry Potter legacy challenge. You can find the rules here.
  • mysle86mysle86 Posts: 20 Member
    > @EdieAppleby said:
    > How do you get sims to stop moving around while you're trying to edit their faces in CAS? Anyone know?

I usually just zoom all the way in on thair faces, then they stand still.

Has anyone experienced their sims getting weird headaches. My teen sim keeps getting them every few minutes, and she is not sick. They come with blue smoke that is drawn from her head down to the ground, and a metallic alien-esque sound. Its really creepy..
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited December 2018

They're not supposed to move while you're editing their faces :#
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    Yeah, I've been keeping my collectibles in the storage chests.

What on earth can I do with the 9 million herbalism ingredients? That's really filling up an inventory right now, but I'm not sure if they will work in the fridge/storage chest etc.

Some of them can be stored in the flower arrangement table (Fireleaf and poison fireleaf, chamomile and toxic chamomile). There's 6 that I'm growing which the flower table cannot store; the 2 types of morel mushrooms and all the berries huckle/muckle/elder/noxious elder. Those I store in a storage chest.

None of them will go in the fridge.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • EdieApplebyEdieAppleby Posts: 134 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

Yea. Exactly. Which is what makes it so frustrating when it happens.
  • delatineedelatinee Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a question. I'm not sure if this is the right place for it, but I couldn't find anywhere else. I would've made a separate post, but I made an account just to ask this, so I can't do that yet. I've been looking for an answer to this for a while, but I haven't seen anything that helps.

My sim owns a bakery that she lives in. (I bought some land, then bought a retail lot, and had her travel there where she has an 'apartment' on the second floor. She never returns back to her home lot.) The top floor is her apartment, main floor is the bakery, and basement is the bakery's kitchen. Both the basement and the apartment is locked to everyone but household members. She spends her time baking new things to put on the shelves, and checks out customers when they decide to buy something without any of the retail interactions. I close the store when I want her to go to sleep and do other things without having to pay attention to her store.

Recently, though, customers have been loitering after they purchase an item, or when she closes the bakery. They'll buy something, then just hang around in the bakery, or outside of it. They stay for HOURS. Even after she closes the store, the actual customers will file out like they're supposed to, but sims that have bought something stay inside, on the patio, etc. I wouldn't mind it, but since they're all still on the lot, time doesn't go into super-speed when she goes to bed, and it's really just annoying. There are at least three sims at all times, and on top of it, child sims will make huge messes all over the place, and she can't tell anyone to leave since it's not her home lot.

I have mods installed, but nothing installed recently, and this problem only just started happening to me in the last week or so. The packs I have are C&D, City Living, Seasons, Get Together, Get to Work, Parenthood, Outdoor Retreat, Dine Out, Laundry Day, Spooky Stuff, Movie Hangout, and My First Pet (I know, I regret it.) I hope that'll help. I've never had this problem until now, and I repaired my game yesterday. I hope you guys can help me out with this, because it's super annoying.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @delatinee have you checked to see if any of your mods are now outdated? This topic can help with that: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/950909/broken-updated-mods-python-terrain-update-get-famous-nov-18#latest
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • HowGreatThouArtHowGreatThouArt Posts: 1,662 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

Yea. Exactly. Which is what makes it so frustrating when it happens.

This may sound silly, but have you tried scrolling (zooming) all the way out, then back in? Sometimes if you're not quite zoomed in 100%, the Sim still animates. It can get a bit glitchy, but exiting detailed mode, then zooming all the way out and back in fixes it for me.
    aSE16f8.gif
  • BilmoBlampkinsBilmoBlampkins Posts: 226 Member
    Question.
  • digitaltrashcandigitaltrashcan Posts: 30 Member
    not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but i can't find anywhere else it fits. for some reason i can't add links to any of my posts. i just get a message saying "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links." ?? i've been a member since december 2017 so exactly how much longer do i have to be around to gain this privilege
  • TS_DivaTS_Diva Posts: 477 Member
    not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but i can't find anywhere else it fits. for some reason i can't add links to any of my posts. i just get a message saying "You have to be around for a little while longer before you can post links." ?? i've been a member since december 2017 so exactly how much longer do i have to be around to gain this privilege

It's a point-based system. There are certain requirements you have to meet. I assume all of this information is still up to date, and it is discussed here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know/p1

Currently, as of this posting you have 10 points, 14 posts, and 2 badges. You can check your profile points here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/profile/digitaltrashcan

There used to be a post just for new members to help them complete these requirements, but I can't find it right now. Maybe someone else knows where it is? @Rosemow is always very helpful on matters such as this! :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,584 Member

Hello @digitaltrashcan :)
    You need to have 25points and 15 posts before you can become a full member and can then have an Avi picture, post pictures, have a signature, start new threads, edit posts , post links that show up correctly and have quotes appear in grey boxes . This thread explains about it.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/934205/small-change-for-new-members#latest
    You receive a point each time another simmer presses like or awesome or insightful on a post that you have posted in a thread created by another simmer.
    You nearly have enough posts, and just need to get some more points .
  • TS_DivaTS_Diva Posts: 477 Member
    Annnnddddd...Just like that @rosemow appears out of the ether to save the day! hahaha :)