Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need help with choosing a new pc

I saw before on the forum that there were plenty of kind simmers helping out with the choosing of right PC for simming, so I decided to ask as well. I'm unsure if this is the right subforum to ask so feel free to move it.
My main questions are:

1. Does w10 work good with sims3? I have heard that onedrive has been known to move sims files and cause problems. Is that fixed yet?
2. Are there any other w10 vs sims3 problems?
3. Which core and graphic card do I need? Which i5 is good? I'm not only going to be playing sims on it though. I play Witcher and Skyrim and the likes, I'm planning on getting Cyberpunk 2077 in the future as well, so if you guys can kindly give me advice I would really appreciate it.
4. If it matters, I live in Europe.

Comments

• BreazonaBreazona Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited December 2018
    It would be best to post this in tech, but I'll tag some people that know about tech things since I can't help @igazor @phoebebebe13 @chesterbigbird
    sims 2&3 my beloved♥
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    1 - Yes, it does. The OneDrive issue is annoying, what happens is that the game "finds" the Documents folder within OneDrive and suddenly "thinks" that is where the TS3 user game folder belongs so players end up with two of them. Solutions are to disengage OneDrive entirely or, if you do have other real uses for it, set it so that the game folder doesn't end up syncing or becoming part of OneDrive territory.

2 - Yes. Some minor, some that most players will never see. While there are solutions for them, it isn't really worth seeking those unless you have troubles installing or running the game. It's also a moving target because the major Win 10 updates over the years have solved many of the major issues while creating some new, more minor ones along the way.

3 - Processor: i5 or higher (so also i7, and the new i9s although overkill are fine, as are the AMD equivalents), the requirement is still 2.4 GHz or higher but most above a certain price range are going to far exceed that anyway. The U- and Y- series processors should be avoided as those like to retreat into ultra-low power mode to conserve electricity/battery power. The game requires a processor that can handle a steady load, not one meant to keep getting sleepy and only pulse into higher speeds and power mode occasionally.

Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 1050/1050 Ti or higher for desktop within that series, 1050 Mobile or higher for laptop, or the AMD equivalents. The MX 130 and 150s although current are lower end and should be avoided. I don't know much about the new 2000 series yet, except I've only seen very high end cards on that one mentioned thus far.

4 - Do you require a desktop, laptop, what is your budget, and (this is more for @chesterbigbird) which country?

The above though is all pertaining to TS3. From what I can see, Cyberpunk 2077 will have much higher requirements than that when it's released next year, although it might be too soon to tell for sure. Chester will have to comment, if she could, on that and the other games on your list, as shopping with the game that has the lightest requirements in mind probably isn't going to land you in the right place. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    Thanks for explanations, @igazor !

4. I'm looking for a desktop and really not wanting to pay more than €1300. Right now I'm looking at those web shops that assemble PC's with things you choose yourself. I live in the Netherlands btw.

So far I thought Intel® Core™ i5-9600K 4,6GHz looked good and NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB to go into that choose-what-goes-in PC, with in mind that I will be needing a stronger PC for other games. But of course all tips and advice are very much welcome.