Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Running a Bakery

AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
Hello fellow simmers,

I just started building a bakery and had my sim open it up to try it out. It seems as you can only set for sale the large dishes with several servings and not single items like a cupcake or a donut. Is there a way around this? How do you guys run your bakeries in game? It's the first time I'm properly attempting to do so and I am clueless. I know how the retail system works but not how to make a bakery seem more or less realistic.

Help!
Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
All my creations are CC free.

Comments

• fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    @AlbaWaterhouse For individual servings, you have to have your sim take a plate and then have them set it down and not eat it. Once you get the servings separated you can set them for sale. At least, it worked that way when Frank ran his deli before Dine Out came out. And I never used the restock feature either. Once he closed down at night he would just replace it with new items he made.

He sold all kinds of meals and not just baked goods. He sold whole turkey dinners and lobster and things. Made good money!

Dofnttt.png

• AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Thanks for the tip!
    I just tried following your instructions to have my sim grab a serving and pick up a cupcake, but unfortunately single cupcakes can't be set for sale apparently. I'll try now with other foods that come in plates.
    It's a really good idea to also have some other types of food like whole turkeys!
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    That's why I do cakes and pies and groups of things like doughnuts or cupcakes. The big seller in a bakery is bulk, not single servings. That's what the cafe object is for.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    That's why I do cakes and pies and groups of things like doughnuts or cupcakes. The big seller in a bakery is bulk, not single servings. That's what the cafe object is for.

Yes, cakes are a great idea. But I would love for my sim to be able to sell single donuts or single cupcakes, I know it wouldn't bring a lot of money but it is cute and realistic.
    Oh well, it is what it is I guess. I wish we had a better way to do it, also to be able to sell the bread in a proper way instead of the loaf on a plate.

Yes, cakes are a great idea. But I would love for my sim to be able to sell single donuts or single cupcakes, I know it wouldn't bring a lot of money but it is cute and realistic.
    Oh well, it is what it is I guess. I wish we had a better way to do it, also to be able to sell the bread in a proper way instead of the loaf on a plate.

The way it's set up, if you want to sell single items like a Starbucks, build a cafe. You can call it a bakery if you want. If you want to sell in bulk like a Mrs. Fields, then use the cupcake machine.
    @Dannydanbo Good point! Are you using the cupcake machine @AlbaWaterhouse ? Or just the regular ovens?
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited December 2018
    I did a creepy-themed bakery on my game. My Sims sold things like Zombie Cake, Ambrosia, and Cowplant Essence Pie. There was an upstairs area for the customers and a downstairs area that with an Employees Only door. Downstairs was where I kept the ambrosia ingredients and had the kitchen area. My Sims eventually started selling the Ultimate Vampire Cure as well, so I had a lot of potted plants down there. The cowplant was in a separate room next to the main building. My Sim tried to tell customers not to go in there, but some just didn't listen... ;)

Usually one Sim would be downstairs baking and sending stuff up while the other was selling. I never restocked items except when the founder died and his next of kin hadn't quite worked up the skill levels for the more expensive items.

I honestly didn't realize single cupcakes weren't sellable, as I never tried it. I always made them in batches, and if a Sim took one... well, I wasn't going to try to put a half-eaten cupcake on sale, anyway. ^_^;;

I haven't tried a cafe yet. I'll have to give it a shot. Sounds like fun. :)
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.

The way it's set up, if you want to sell single items like a Starbucks, build a cafe. You can call it a bakery if you want. If you want to sell in bulk like a Mrs. Fields, then use the cupcake machine.

But sims can't run a cafe, that's the shame.
    @fullspiral yes, both the normal stove and that humoungous cupcake machine.
    @katrinasforest your store sounds amazing! Do you have any pictures?
    @katrinasforest Frank would do that too. Set out some free cupcakes on the counter. He considered it good and friendly customer appreciation. In his mind ( mine) once they tasted some of his wares, they always came back to buy something!

This thread is making me want him to reopen his deli. The restaurant is okay, but he LOVES to cook and he loves interacting with people more than a restaurant allows.
    @AlbaWaterhouse

Aw, thank you. ^_^ It's on the gallery, if you want some good overview shots: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/E3CBA958DC4711E8897DB573E4FD424D

But here's a few close up pics I took:

The household getting ready to open for business:
    ElliotsBakery-768x432.png

The downstairs:
    10-30-18_9-07-26-AM-768x432.png

And, of course, the cowplant room:
    10-30-18_9-18-54-AM-768x432.png

I'm sure other people have much more complicated and interesting builds. But this was one of my first, so I'm proud of it.

It's a shame Sims can't run their own cafe, but I suppose since you can sell drinks and baked goods in a store or open a restaurant, the team figured they had "cafe" already covered one way or another.

@fullspiral That's a good idea! Usually the cupcakes ended up being "sampled" by the employees by accident. But putting them out for customers to have a taste is an excellent idea.

What sorts of things do you sell in your deli?
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @katrinasforest Anything that could be cooked or baked was sold. Sometimes in individual portions, but also as full meals. I would put things in the lice cold freezer too. That helped with keeping the customer line down for ringing through because the would be auto purchase from the fridge. Frank never hired any staff and ran it himself.
    @fullspiral That's a neat idea. Reminds me of those stores where you can buy fully made meals you just have to heat and serve.

I never hired any extra staff, either. I liked the idea of having the family do everything. I'd have staff if I ever did a store with one Sim by themselves, though.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    I also made a bakery recently.

You can bake a batch of something and then when you click on it you can click on pick up a serving. That makes the Sim put the single plate in their inventory. You will definitely make more money this way as single plates sell for as much as the whole plate of whatever it was.

The warming rack is also a great investment as you can put items in there and they are automatically put for sale. Oddly enough I kept it in my kitchen and the customers seem to know it's there and they keep trying to get to it but the door is locked.

It's cheaper to just rebake the items rather than restocking but it is time consuming. Getting cheaper restocking as a perk is something to strive for sure. But it's fun just baking and restocking after the store is closed too. 🎂

Correct me if I'm wrong because I have never tried this, but if you add the cafe object to a lot other than a cafe lot type, can your sim man the object like you can a bar?

Correct me if I'm wrong because I have never tried this, but if you add the cafe object to a lot other than a cafe lot type, can your sim man the object like you can a bar?

I think so. In the pic I posted above, I had the cafe counter, and Frank just hired a barista when he was open. It didn't function well though and sims never seemed to order from it. As a retail venue, they only came in to buy from Frank. I imagine a sim could open a retail, but they would likely have to make the drinks and things and have them already on the counter for sale.
    Thank you all for all your awesome ideas and great advice. I am now more motivated to do it!

fullspiral wrote: »

I think so. In the pic I posted above, I had the cafe counter, and Frank just hired a barista when he was open. It didn't function well though and sims never seemed to order from it. As a retail venue, they only came in to buy from Frank. I imagine a sim could open a retail, but they would likely have to make the drinks and things and have them already on the counter for sale.

Yes, it doesn'T function properly and also the money it makes doesn't count towards your business if I remember correctly.
    Thanks @AlbaWaterhouse You inspired me to have Frank go back to his roots and start up a new deli.

Look at him! He's so happy to be in his element again!
    MHSONMv.png

uAiOED4.png
    Z93vkqj.png

And I included a private place out back so he can bring Willy to work with him and he has a place to relax or sleep if he doesn't want to commute, or wants to get an early start on making dishes for sale.
    mdSTt9j.png
    Yeah Frank!
    Yeah Frank!

I just love Frank to pieces. :D
    He really looks happy! I'm glad you got him back to his roots :)
  • Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @AlbaWaterhouse - At my Sims bakery....she was able to sell single items. It was a bit time consuming because she had to pick up a serving (& of course trying to make her not eat it). & then I could click it and set it for sale....or I put it in the warming rack thingy. I too, liked the realism of serving a single helping versus selling bulk. My bakery has now expanded into basically everything....as my Sim sells everything from baked goods, to turkey dinners, to ambrosia.

Your thread has inspired me to have my Sims open their bakery....so thank you for the inspiration. I'm playing a legacy challenge and my Gen 2 heir opened up a bakery. I'm in Gen 5 now, & I dont think it's been open since. Will definitely be doing that next time I'm in game :)
    @Sha2520032003 yay! I'm happy you are having your heir open a bakery :) Please, do share some pics with us when you have it.
    @AlbaWaterhouse

Aw, thank you. ^_^ It's on the gallery, if you want some good overview shots: https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/pc/gallery/E3CBA958DC4711E8897DB573E4FD424D

But here's a few close up pics I took:

The household getting ready to open for business:
    ElliotsBakery-768x432.png

I love their style! it is such a fitting one for the kind of (awesome) shop they have!
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    I'm curious, is there anyway Sims would eat at the bakery? I set up a bakary often in my game, and put chairs and tables but they never used it. Has any sim tried to eat at your bakeries?We can sell Cakes to restaurants but Its not the same as cooking your own baked foods and displaying them. I also seen it on Get To Work promotional materials. Is it possible?
    TS1299 wrote: »
    I'm curious, is there anyway Sims would eat at the bakery? I set up a bakary often in my game, and put chairs and tables but they never used it. Has any sim tried to eat at your bakeries?We can sell Cakes to restaurants but Its not the same as cooking your own baked foods and displaying them. I also seen it on Get To Work promotional materials. Is it possible?

I am not an expert since I just started running one but they don't sit there and eat what they bought, however what I want to try next is to make some cupcakes and don't set them for sale, just put them on display as a sample for customers to try, I also have a coffee machine available, hopefully someone would grab a cupcake and a coffee and sit there. I'll let you know what I find out.

Here is how my bakery is looking so far. It's called The Rainbow Oven and is super over the top decor wise, but it suits the sim that runs it.
    UWzLWb5.jpg
    dvf62aq.jpg