Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Book publishing and photography skill

I've spent the last 30 minutes or so wrestling with AnswersHQ, so figured I'd come here to see if anyone has had the same issues.

First of all, my Sim is in the style influencer career, and has to build her photography skill. I thought we had photography skill books available, but now they're missing from the Purchase Books interaction. It takes forever to build photography skill with just a camera. Can we please get the photography skill books?

Second issue is that this same Sim has built up her writing skill thanks to all the articles and columns she has to write, so I decided to have her do some freelance book writing in order to make some extra money. But she's published about 6 books with the publisher but has gotten 0 royalties. Did this break with Get Famous (I was having no issues before) or do authors now get fame but no money? (Hey, sounds like Real Life according to a few of my writing friends....)

I do use mods but I tested the royalty thing on a mod-free game.

Help!
Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    As far as I'm aware, there are no photography books and never have been. The skill caps at level 5, rather than 10, like all the skills that have books, so that is probably why.

Can't answer regarding royalties for books, as I haven't done writing since GF came out, but royalties are working fine for music and programming skills, and they probably use a lot of the same code.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    @stilljustme2 I'm wondering if you have a bug in your game re: royalties as my writer sim has been writing books and is still getting royalties.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    My writer has last pulled in 4k in royalties, so I don't think it's broken, but you never know, you may be having a bug still. Hope it fixes for you.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited December 2018
    Okay, thanks all -- could have sworn I'd see Photography skill books in the skill books area, but maybe old age is catching up with me and I got confused. As for the royalties I think it actually might be mod related -- I'd forgotten to delete localthumbcache when I took out the mods so now I'm in the long slog of figuring out which mod is causing it (so far it's not MCCC which gives me a happy). I'll finish up the process tomorrow as it's now almost 11pm and I've got the Tired moodlet so I need to get to bed very soon. 😫😴
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    @stilljustme2 If only they had moodlet manager potions IRL. Good luck with sorting the mod stuff out in the morning.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    As for the photography skill, the best way to improve is through practice. Take lots of selfies, photos of places and people and photos with people. And have a large well-lit wall because you are going to want to save a number of those photos. Being Inspired helps the skill go up faster, and it actually doesn't take long if you get click happy. You will also want to look at getting better cameras to use rather than your phone.