Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does your sim die a lot from emotion? Or is it just me...

Comments

• StormkeepStormkeep Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited December 2018
    @Tiarella You have to be on the lots with the plants before the time the harvestables appear to harvest on public lots now (since Seasons), so unless you get there before the sun is even up, they are never harvestable. It's the only part of the seasons gardening changes that I do not like. You also have to spend enough time there for them to grow to harvest stage before that...just like always.
    This post will be edited by StormKeep at some point.
    2c2ab3785fad83173d9a155efa4afd1fc99b9595.jpg
    The Winters family Tree --- My Mods
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    I’ve never had a sim die of an emotional death. I do know you have to be careful with toddlers especially if you have laundry as well because it will send them to hysterical pretty quickly but I’ve never experienced it myself.
    ~ ~ ~
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited December 2018
    @Stormkeep - somehow, the way you worded your post, I finally realized all I have to do is adapt my parks to allow my moocher sim to hang out at each one of them in rotation. (When I get back to her, anyway!) Thanks! Now if I can just remember this... :lol:

eta: and why can't I use the parks as they are? She has a kid who lives with her, and while I can let her suffer a bit, I can't do that to the kid.
  • purplexbutterflypurplexbutterfly Posts: 597 Member
    I’ve had one emotional death since TS4 was released and I manipulated it on purpose. I normally keep their emotions in check quite well by micro management. However I am worried about one of my teens. She’s been mortified and hysterical without me even doing anything. I was concentrating on the other family members then clicked on her and saw she was hysterical. I’m worried she will die a premature death when she’s older xD
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    @Stormkeep

I have played with laundry, but usually do not even use it because I hate irl, so why put it in my game? Otherwise, I really play as a minimalist, so my sims really never get a happy moodlet for decor. My sims have the "fine" moodlet often, so it takes too much effort to manipulate emotions.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    I've never had an emotional death in game. I don't focus too much on emotions unless I'm trying to achieve something that requires a specific emotion. Like baking flirty cookies, or writing a particular book genre.
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited December 2018
    I've only had three emotional deaths in my game and that was a long time ago, towards the very beginning. I did an experiment, trying to recreate the 'Hands Off' challenge from TS2. That challenge involved setting up a house with everything you think a variety of 8 Sims (YA thru Elder, couples, singles, brother/sister, whatever relationships you want) will need to survive. They can have jobs too if you wish to help pay the bills, but good luck getting them to actually pay them on their own. They don't.

Set them all to Full Autonomy and then just watch, no interaction on your part at all. The Sims in question all died of embarrassment from having another Sim walk in on them in the one still functioning bathroom. They had 3 or 4 bathrooms, but slowly all of the plumbing broke and no one would fix anything.

Anyway, since then I make 'stalls' for bathrooms if the family has more than a couple Sims, or give them private en suite bathrooms off their bedroom. The closest I've come lately is a Teen getting hysterical. Teens can't die from emotions if you have Parenthood though. Maybe they can without it? I'm not sure. *shrugs* I've never used the Child's Play lot trait and not very many of my Sims' homes have laundry facilities.

I still put them in now and then, but if they start feeling 'playful' from clean, warm clothes, I take them back out. They don't always get that moodlet now, but in the past they would get it and constantly walk around feeling 'very playful.' I didn't and don't want my Sims to die just from wearing clean, warm clothes, that's ridiculous. o.O
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    My Sims aren't usually 'playful'. I do control their every move, so on the rare occasion that an adult gets to 'very playful', I send her straight to the mirror to calm down. I have them stack their laundry instead of putting it away to let it cool down from warm and sparkly (but, you can't forget about it or it'll downgrade to 'used' - also, they sometimes put it back in the washing machine when gathering laundry).

Be aware that there is at least one outfit that causes a Sim to be 'playful' - it's a pink, sparkly full-body outfit for women. I don't know if there are others.

It might also help to have some 'focusing' or 'inspiring' objects around?
    I just want things to match. :'(
    @invisiblgirl definitely helps to have focus, energizing, inspiring stuff around. If you only get 1 playful and have +2 or higher of one of the other positive moodlets it will switch your sim to that one so that all the +happy stacks with those instead of the playful mood. I have areas of my current sims' home stacked very heavily in favor of other emotions to make them safe havens (as well as for skilling, of course).
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited December 2018
    No, it’s not just you, @idkemily !

My playful sims (one of which was a comedian) almost got close to laughing death and another sim was close to death with embarrassment.

I also had a temperamental, hot-tempered Sim that got really mad easily, and one day, he was REALLY mad, so I had to hurry and take him away from the the other sims to calm him down (to prevent the angry death, if there was one?).

I really, really hate the emotional death stuff (and emotional objects, grr)!

I’ve been getting close to getting the deaths more than once, and I really feel I shouldn’t have to take stuff away from my sims or limit my sims’ interactions in order to avoid these annoying unrealistic deaths.

The emotions stuff makes me feel stifled as I can’t play a Sims game I want to. Same goes with having all of these emotions-based objects.

I’m starting to think I may need a mod for this, since I seem to have bad luck, lol. (I don’t like modding, but I can’t play the way I want to like I did in the past three Sims games.)

Edit 2: I also haven’t updated my game since the Get Famous pre-patch, so I hope maybe I’ll have better luck post-patch. If not, I guess I could ask if it’s a bug in the Help forum.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • TiarellaTiarella Posts: 661 Member
    edited December 2018
    @invisiblgirl - yes, there's a pair of glasses that puts the sim in a silly mood...iirc, it's the ones that are sort of star-shaped? Two of the sims in my cheerful-goofballs family have those in at least one of their outfits. They're perfect for the sim, but the additional playful moodlet they add (a feature I was unaware of when I chose them in CAS) is life-threatening to these sims. (eta: I think the clown hat also adds an emotional buff.)

@bunny-🐸🐸🐸🐸 - 100% agreement: I can't play MY game because I'm so busy fighting the programming that is trying to force me to play the programmers' game instead. This is NOT how sandbox games are supposed to be. We have way fewer options/toggles, and the system of emotions is actually limiting my gameplay. Ambitious, jealous (s/b envious instead, but that's the closest we've got) materialists should not be responding positively when the person they've been fighting with starts boasting. Heck, most people don't respond positively to boasting...except in TS4. So when two angry siblings (one w/the above traits) hug and turn happy after one of them boasts...that's just the wrong emotion for the situation. I end up doing stuff to manipulate the game to produce the right emotion, instead of just playing the game the way I want to play it...and even then, the programming un-does it two minutes later. And I won't even go into how relationship culling has ruined many of my stories...

I've adapted. I work around the programming. I've started using MCCC. I ignore a lot of stuff and pretend it hasn't happened, or happened differently. I've started using MCCC, and will probably eventually add some additional mods, though I hate all the mod-maintenance. I'm making things work for me, but I'm not happy with Maxis/EA.
  • FifinezFifinez Posts: 59 Member
    I have never, ever had a sim die from any emotion. We've been trying to get death by embarrassment in my sister's game, but it just won't work, no matter how many times the guy gets mortified...
  • idkemilyidkemily Posts: 49 Member
    Update: Just purchased and installed Laundry Day Stuff. BIG mistake. All my sims instantly become hysterical from clean/warm clothing. HOW DOES CLOTHING BEING WASHED CAUSE SOMEONE TO BE HYSTERICAL. I DO NOT UNDERSTAND. I'm going to have to start not taking care of their needs so they're no longer happy and can't become hysterical anymore.
    edited December 2018
    LOL, @idkemily, I did say somewhere in this thread that laundry is a contributor to hysterical deaths.

Tip, let the laundry cool off before putting it away. Warm clothes give the playful emotion. Someone indicated they take it out of the dryer and set it down rather than put it away, and let it cool first. Personally, I just do not empty the dryer in the first place until it's cooled off....not like Sim clothing gets wrinkled.

It takes a few sims hours for dry laundry to cool off, so I generally just load and turn on the dryer before sending my last active sim to bed, and then empty and put it away in the morning (it is cool by then).
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    If only I didn't always forget about the clothes if I don't take them out immediately, and then, they start getting dirty again after a while...

Here's another tip: Upgrade the washing machine so you can put flowers in, sometimes that will result in the clothes smelling so nice that wearing them will give sims a confident moodlet, rather than a playful one. I have yet to figure out which flowers are the best, though.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    never had it happen on its own
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • idkemilyidkemily Posts: 49 Member
    Stormkeep wrote: »
    LOL, @idkemily, I did say somewhere in this thread that laundry is a contributor to hysterical deaths.

Tip, let the laundry cool off before putting it away. Warm clothes give the playful emotion. Someone indicated they take it out of the dryer and set it down rather than put it away, and let it cool first. Personally, I just do not empty the dryer in the first place until it's cooled off....not like Sim clothing gets wrinkled.

It takes a few sims hours for dry laundry to cool off, so I generally just load and turn on the dryer before sending my last active sim to bed, and then empty and put it away in the morning (it is cool by then).
    Thank you, I will definitely start doing that. Also, can kids and teens die from hysterical deaths? My child and my teen are the only ones who seem to get hysterical.

@idkemily If you aren't using mods, I'm pretty sure teens and younger are protected from emotional deaths (i.e. they won't die from the emotions). Considering there are phases that give them like +50 to specific emotions, that's definitely a good thing.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I have had several parents die because the toddler was too cute to handle. It happens really quick.
    However, whenever I actually WANT to kill a sim by emotions, it proves to be impossible. Go figure!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    I also wish emotional deaths had a predictable timer related to how long a Sim had to be in that emotion to die.

My most recent bout with Hysterical death happened like this.

Very happy Sim at Orchid A-Go-Go lounge.
    Telling jokes to raise his Comedy skill, now he's very playful.
    Jokes cause him to make friends AND Good friends, so now he's up to +14 playful.
    I notice his moodlet count, and send him off to the bathroom mirror, at the bathroom right by the door. He's still Very Playful.
    Thorne Bailley walks in, my Sim notices, and gets a +1 Happy moodlet for spotting a celebrity, now he's Hysterical, but literally right outside the bathroom.
    He walks INTO the bathroom, about to use the mirror to Calm Down when suddenly he queues up death by laughter, cancels the interaction to calm himself down, and dies!
    He was Hysterical for like 3 Sim minutes!

So I had his wife leave work early, brought her to the Lounge, and Demanded he be Spare.
    Reaper brought him back... but his moodlets were still there! He's still Hysterical! Except moreso because he's now ALSO happy he didn't die!
    At least he was able to calm down successfully that time, but for goodness' sake.

I guess people who DON'T grapple with Hysteria constantly just don't have incredibly happy Sims...
  • luxsylvanluxsylvan Posts: 1,922 Member
    I actually haven't had this issue, and I'm always surprised other people do, just because it never comes up for me, not because I think I'm better at avoiding it.

My play style generally prioritizes high needs, so my Sims are generally happy or very happy. I've never had a sim go past very embarrassed or very angry, so I don't even know what those deaths look like. I've had Sims become hysteric on occasion but they've luckily always gotten to a mirror quickly enough. If a high emotion is worrying me, I'll just make my Sims go sleep. It's a nice way to negate everything without other emotions becoming too high in the process. I also don't have very many extra packs, so my emotions don't build on each other the same way some of yours might. It's very toned down. I imagine packs are probably a big contender with this issue, since you get a bunch of items (and sometimes actions) and some might be tied to emotions, which all stack on to normal game play buffs. But it's just a guess.
  • harvestmeadowharvestmeadow Posts: 18 Member
    I had a sim die on 2 occasions die of anger since sims 4 release. I have used cheats to try to kill sims from emotions and it never works. I have the opposite problem you have.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    Only once in 4 years :|
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • SimsFinest1SimsFinest1 Posts: 326 Member
    I think I keep my Sims pretty happy and I have yet to have an emotional death. I have no CC and dont play with mods so no settings are turned off. I probably just jinxed myself but Im not sure why it happens so often to others.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Is this a new thing with Get Famous? In all my four years of playing the sims 4 I’ve had one emotional death. I don’t have Get Famous.