Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Chalkboard recreation of Sim paintings

I play in PS4, and currently we don’t have access to all the creations uploaded to our gallery that are on PC. I’m in need of more paintings for a large mansion I’m making, so I decided to have a Sim attempt to create every painting possible in game.

Needless to say, this is going to take a while;I’ve been working on this for about a week, and am about half way done lol.

In any case, as it’s getting a bit repetitive, I decided to try my hand at some of the easier creations for real. I don’t have access to canvases at the moment, but I do have my kid’s chalkboard... and colored chalk. And so a project has begun!

Also, I know lots of people have done recreations in digital arts, and probably paints as well. But by choosing chalk, I can “chalk up” any differences in colours and texture to a difference in medium! Truth is, I’m probably only at level 2 or 3 in art IRL, so this is less intimidating. 😉
I’ve only got one reproduction right now, but I’m showing the process in case anybody else wants to make an attempt. I’ll do more over the coming week or two and add them when I get a chance.

Gv0E0gs.jpg

I started with one of the easiest Small Classic paintings.

7MSlyfx.png

I pulled a screenshot into the Procreate App, and assigned a grid pattern

rkndhqy.jpg

Got out my chalkboard and tools, and set to work on creating the outer edges of the “painting”

YLzmmtk.jpg

It wasn’t exactly precise, but we’re just going for an approximation anyway.

NMQzuGa.jpg

Next, I made a rough sketch to get the colours and shapes in place.

WaL94i5.jpg

This is me trying to decide on whether to blend the colours so they’re smooth, or leave them rough, but more vibrant.

5DzAJMs.jpg

My chalkboard is rather cheap, and not very porous. Blending colours is challenging because chalk tends to just push the chalk underneath off instead of layering.

oSt1Kgx.jpg

In the end, I went with a blended background (blended with paintbrush), and a rough texture over top.

szyVVC6.jpg

Looking at it now, I should have added more colour to the stem. But I learned a bit about how the chalk moves on the canvas, so that’s a plus. Ultimately, I made something where there was nothing before, so I’m going to call it a success.
Anybody else want to give it a go?

Comments